The Next Type (Current Types: Dinosaur, Light, and Space)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, let's nerf bug even more than it already is! And let's also give it Ice type weakness because it's obviously the worst type because of all of the weaknesses it has! Oh, and don't forget we need to make one of the already best defensive typings, steel, even better than it should be! Though the type sounds cool, you fucked up the type chart so badly. And 19 types is kind of stupid because of how perfect a number 18 is
Umm Ice is referring to the Ice Age which took out Dinosaurs. That is what makes Ice super effective against the Dino type.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I was going for flavor here when it came to the type alignments (aside from resisting Dark), but that clearly didn't work out, so maybe we could try this: We clean the slate for Dinosaur's type alignment, and start fresh. We can decide which types it resists/is weak to and vice-versa, and try to approach this as a community, since one guy calling the shots clearly isn't working as well as I would have hoped. Sound good?

I chose some types that Dinosaur are weak to based on facts/theories in real life:
Ice
Rock
Ground
Dragon
-----------------------------------------I think having 4 weaknesses is solid for a type. What do you all think?----------------------------------------------------
Types that Dinosaurs beat:
Dinosaur
Fairy
Grass
-----------------------------------------I like this idea as well. It allows the Dinosaur typing to be a little less OP while having some draw-backs as well. Thoughts?-
Types that are hit N/V/E (Not Very Effective) by the Dinosaur type:
Steel
Fire
Rock
Ice
-----------------------------------------2/4 of the types come from the things that it is weak to. Thoughts?-----------------------------------------------------

These came from scratch. What do you all think. After all, we're building this type as a community! =)

Umm Ice is referring to the Ice Age which took out Dinosaurs. That is what makes Ice super effective against the Dino type.
>implying Gamefreak's typings use logic.
Type balance>logic obviously. The only one that I would keep is considerably ice. the rest are B O O T Y

hqdefault.jpg

Valmanway

I chose some types that Dinosaur are weak to based on facts/theories in real life:
Ice
Rock
Ground
Dragon
-----------------------------------------I think having 4 weaknesses is solid for a type. What do you all think?----------------------------------------------------
Dinosaur
Fairy
Grass
-----------------------------------------I like this idea as well. It allows the Dinosaur typing to be a little less OP while having some draw-backs as well. Thoughts?-
Steel
Fire
Rock
Ice
-----------------------------------------2/4 of the types come from the things that it is weak to. Thoughts?-----------------------------------------------------

These came from scratch. What do you all think. After all, we're building this type as a community! =)
All of these look pretty good, but I have a pet peeve with Rock weaknesses. It's good flavorwise, with the asteroid business and whatnot, but I think people will be less inclined to use it due to the SR weakness. Though this could be a good way to balance the Dino-type a bit. Other than that, this looks pretty good. Any other suggestion, guys?

But Archeops is so dinosaur so very much. In fact, it is the link of bird and dino.
Ice
Rock
Ground
Dragon
Dinosaur
Fairy
Grass
Steel
Fire
Rock
Ice

Dragon/Dino, dragon/Fire and Dragon/flying seem absolutely abysmal. Being weak to 3 of the most common coverage moves in the game? Sure, fire manages the ground/rock weakness, but it's not a shtick any other type should hope to be.

That would also give ground 6 super effectives... a bit extreme.

Also... types it beats is a poison clone. It's either a better or worse one since poison offers its namesake as status, but to me it edges out because nothing is immune to it.

I just... I dounno. Then again, I don't feel vibes from a dinosaur specific type in general. Perhaps I could get behind an ancient or time type with more room for encompassings, but this. I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new types, even many new types. Yes, that's my dream chart, and there are times I still feel it's not yet perfect. My point?

Honestly, it might not be a good idea to simply open and close types as time passes. It'd be better to have a large table for the many ideas that will pass through it.

>implying Gamefreak's typings use logic.
Type balance>logic obviously. The only one that I would keep is considerably ice. the rest are B O O T Y

View attachment 14110
Umm, dude, that is why Ice is S/E against Dragon and Ice is S/E against Flying (Migration because of the cold weather). Sometimes, you never know, Game Freak can use logic.
Fact of the matter is that there is no need to argue about Game Freak Logic on such a forum.

Last edited:
Alright, after some thoughts, I have a little list of Pokemon to get it (it is a beta version though):
- Archeops (Rock/Dinosaur)
- Tyrantrum (Dragon/Dinosaur)
- Meganium (Grass/Dinosaur)
- Feraligatr (Water/Dinosaur)
- Salamence (Dragon/Dinosaur)

--------------------------------------------------------What do you guys think of it so far? I see quite a bit of quad weaknesses to Ice though.-------------------

I still think Archeops should be Dino/Flying even though it would mess up with the fossil Pokemon trend of being Rock type. Heck, Aurorus could be Ice/Dino as well. Salamence should stay Dragon/Flying as well, since both of those types fit it perfectly, while I don't really see it as a dinosaur. It is the traditional European dragon of Pokemon and Bagon had always dreamed of flying.

I like the other three in the preliminary list a lot though.

Alright, after some thoughts, I have a little list of Pokemon to get it (it is a beta version though):
- Archeops (Rock/Dinosaur)
- Tyrantrum (Dragon/Dinosaur)
- Meganium (Grass/Dinosaur)
- Feraligatr (Water/Dinosaur)
- Salamence (Dragon/Dinosaur)

--------------------------------------------------------What do you guys think of it so far? I see quite a bit of quad weaknesses to Ice though.-------------------
Good. Ice deserves a buff. Also I don't understand salamence why it's a dino, but it seems like the best candidate out of all the dragons. Also, could someone truly confirm what the type chart for Dino is?

Ice needs a buff... but not offensively...
I know.\ But do we expect all types to be good both ways? look at normal, hits -3 types for S.E, -4 if you count immunities as an extra "point". while it is completely neutral defensively, at +1, if you agree to immunity adding that extra "point". Then there's poison and steel, both really good defensively,but not offensively. Fire also has too many common weaknesses, lacks common resist outside of pretty much itself, but lots of things use fire for it's coverage. The few exceptions would be fighting, fairy and flying. That's my point.

Wow. I wrote that over 7 words.

Ah, okay.

How about at least the Pre-evos of Dinosaur Pokemon are dinosaur too. Ground/Dragon Gabite evolving into Ground/Dinosaur Garchomp is a bit odd.
For example:

Cranidos- Rock/Dinosaur

Bulbasur/Ivysaur - Grass/Dinosaur

Gible/Gabite - Ground/Dinosaur

Axew/Fraxure - Dinosaur

Amaura (Aurorus' Pre-evo) - Dinosaur/Ice

Aron/Lairon - Steel/Dinosaur

And what about... Yanmega?
It may seem wierd but adding the Dinosaur type to Yanmega makes sense, as it is based on the giant prehistoric dragonfly. Bug/Dinosaur will give it double weakness to Ice, but it removes to weakness to the dreaded Stealth Rock.
It seems you ignored my post Valmanway ...

Valmanway

Sorry sorry, everyone! I've been getting sidetracked by other stuff on the site. More attention will be focused here now. Anyways...
Ah, okay.

How about at least the Pre-evos of Dinosaur Pokemon are dinosaur too. Ground/Dragon Gabite evolving into Ground/Dinosaur Garchomp is a bit odd.
For example:

Cranidos- Rock/Dinosaur

Bulbasur/Ivysaur - Grass/Dinosaur

Gible/Gabite - Ground/Dinosaur

Axew/Fraxure - Dinosaur

Amaura (Aurorus' Pre-evo) - Dinosaur/Ice

Aron/Lairon - Steel/Dinosaur

And what about... Yanmega?
It may seem wierd but adding the Dinosaur type to Yanmega makes sense, as it is based on the giant prehistoric dragonfly. Bug/Dinosaur will give it double weakness to Ice, but it removes to weakness to the dreaded Stealth Rock.
All pre-evos look pretty good. Yanmega is an interesting idea for a retype, but I'm not too sure about it, but I'll think about it.
But... where is the type effective chart of Dinosaur type?
We're currently discussing what the Dino-type's weak to/resists as a group, since I guess I'm not good at that myself. :P I'm thinking about making the discussing process more organized, such as talking about a batch of types and how they would stack up against the Dino-type, and after that, we'll move on to another batch of types.

Again, so sorry for my sudden absence here. I will put more focus here from now on.

*Edit

The four types we'll be discussing for now are Fire, Ice, Poison, and Steel.

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
IMO:
Fire is SE against Dino. They died to either meteors or a volcano, but those are both hot. And Dinos are coldblooded. They'd overheat.
Ice... is weird. I mean, they're coldblooded and can't live long in the cold. But I don't think they should be SE, it would just make it really similar to Dragons. Most people will probably vote for SE against Dino, but I say neutral just for balance.
Poison is... neutral? It could kill them, but some lizards are resist poison from other animals, so maybe Dinos do too. Toss up imo.
Steel... Hmm. Don't know how Dinos react to being slammed with a hunk of iron. They're big, though, so it might not hurt them. Neutral I guess.

The way interpreted your post is that we're not discussing the offensive prowess of Dinos. Tell me if that's not right, but this is how I see it. (Also Ice needs to resist SOMETHING else, so Dino is NVE against Ice. Not much flavor other than the reasoning of cold blood.)

EDIT: I'M AN IDIOT AND EVERYTHING I LEARNED IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ABOUT DINOSAURS IS WRONG

Last edited:

Valmanway

IMO:
Fire is SE against Dino. They died to either meteors or a volcano, but those are both hot. And Dinos are coldblooded. They'd overheat.
Ice... is weird. I mean, they're coldblooded and can't live long in the cold. But I don't think they should be SE, it would just make it really similar to Dragons. Most people will probably vote for SE against Dino, but I say neutral just for balance.
Poison is... neutral? It could kill them, but some lizards are resist poison from other animals, so maybe Dinos do too. Toss up imo.
Steel... Hmm. Don't know how Dinos react to being slammed with a hunk of iron. They're big, though, so it might not hurt them. Neutral I guess.

The way interpreted your post is that we're not discussing the offensive prowess of Dinos. Tell me if that's not right, but this is how I see it. (Also Ice needs to resist SOMETHING else, so Dino is NVE against Ice. Not much flavor other than the reasoning of cold blood.)
I was more hoping for offensively and defensively, but I should have worded that more properly. lol

IMO:

That is wrong... WRONG wrong!

Dinosaurs, the ancestors of birds, were warmblooded. Scientists aren't sure when the transition took place, much like when we're not sure when mammals stopped laying eggs instead of raising them within the wombs.

There were times of snow during the Mesozoic. If there weren't, where would feathers come from on Coelurosaurian dinosaurs? This group includes Tyrannosaurids and while they may not have been giant feather beasts, they were insulated.

Dinosaurs are also very far from lizards. They, their avian descendants, along with crocs and pterasaurs are a clade known as Archosaurs.

If anything, the KT impact irradiated the planet for a time and choked out the sun not with fire, but with fumes. A sort of nuclear winter.

As such, I'm not sure about much of the type chart in this regard, but my answer for ice will almost always be my answer for ice: it should resist it.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
That is wrong... WRONG wrong!

Dinosaurs, the ancestors of birds, were warmblooded. Scientists aren't sure when the transition took place, much like when we're not sure when mammals stopped laying eggs instead of raising them within the wombs.

There were times of snow during the Mesozoic. If there weren't, where would feathers come from on Coelurosaurian dinosaurs? This group includes Tyrannosaurids and while they may not have been giant feather beasts, they were insulated.

Dinosaurs are also very far from lizards. They, their avian descendants, along with crocs and pterasaurs are a clade known as Archosaurs.

If anything, the KT impact irradiated the planet for a time and choked out the sun not with fire, but with fumes. A sort of nuclear winter.

As such, I'm not sure about much of the type chart in this regard, but my answer for ice will almost always be my answer for ice: it should resist it.
Whoops. Apparently this was only discovered in July 2013*, and I don't follow news. And I haven't learned anything about dinosaurs for a good 4 years. Sorry.

SCRATCH MY LAST POST
Doing a new thing
(and I actually had absolutely no clue, so thanks)

EDIT= * means that's when the article I found came from

DOUBLE EDIT= Okay, these are my new opinions.

Fire: Fire might still be SE against Dino. Touching lava hurts.
Dino is neutral to fire? I guess?

Ice: Okay, Ice isn't SE against Dinos. NVE seems weird to me. Neutral would be best. But I think that's just because I think it should be different from Dragons.
Ice should resist Dino. Balance. Not much flavor here.

Poison: Some animals DO resist poison, no matter whether it is a lizard or not. But some don't. Poison is neutral against Dino.
Not sure how Dino should affect Poison.

Steel: Steel is neutral against Dino. I guess.
Dino is SE against Steel? They could probably crush it.

Once again, I apologize for not knowing about dinosaurs. If anything here is wrong, feel free to call me out.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Looking at the type chart and thinking flavor-wise...

• I think Dinos need to be NVE against Ice. Give Ice a break (no pun intended) and have it resist something other than itself for once. I also think it should be NVE against Dragon (they're superior "dinos" of sorts) and maybe Rock.
  • I think Dino should be SE against Fairy to balance that type out some more. And what about Bug? Dinos stomp on them? I'd also say Grass but Grass already has 5 weaknesses and that's enough. Two SE hits seems reasonable to me and that would tie it with Poison, Psychic, Ghost, and Dark.
  • I think Dino should resist Fairy, Electric, and 1 of Dark, Ghost, or Psychic. Flavor wise, it might be hard to swing, but Dark, Ghost, and Psychic could use another resist IMO. Maybe Dark, since it got a huge boon with Knock Off (even though it resists Fairy now.)
  • I think Dino should be weak to Ground. Look at it this way: the Earth shrugged off the Dinosaurs. I also think Dragon should hurt Dinos to play off the whole "Dragons are superior" theme. Plus, Dragon is only SE against itself and this would increase its viability after the Gen 6 nerf.
Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:
I'd say this:
Fire = Super Effective
Ice: Super Effective
Poison: Neutral
Steel: Neutral
Though not knowing much about dinosaurs my self, I would say this:
I'm sure Fire can really burn a Dinosaur and at least hurt them to where they do their "scream" (Ex: Roaoooarrr!!)
Ice since we all know why..the Ice Age!
Poison should be neutral imo, because it can balance the typing out. Dragon should hit it neutral as well.
Steel probably can't straight up crush a super-strong Dinosaur, so I think it should be neutral.

Thoughts?

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looking at the type chart and thinking flavor-wise...

• I think Dinos need to be NFE against Ice. Give Ice a break (no pun intended) and have it resist something other than itself for once. I also think it should be NFE against Dragon (they're superior "dinos" of sorts) and maybe Rock.
  • I think Dino should be SE against Fairy to balance that type out some more. And what about Bug? Dinos stomp on them? I'd also say Grass but Grass already has 5 weaknesses and that's enough. Two SE hits seems reasonable to me and that would tie it with Poison, Psychic, Ghost, and Dark.
  • I think Dino should resist Fairy, Electric, and 1 of Dark, Ghost, or Psychic. Flavor wise, it might be hard to swing, but Dark, Ghost, and Psychic could use another resist IMO. Maybe Dark, since it got a huge boon with Knock Off (even though it resists Fairy now.)
  • I think Dino should be weak to Ground. Look at it this way: the Earth shrugged off the Dinosaurs. I also think Dragon should hurt Dinos to play off the whole "Dragons are superior" theme. Plus, Dragon is only SE against itself and this would increase its viability after the Gen 6 nerf.
Tell me what you guys think.
The typechart looks good, but make sure that NFE stands for "Not Fully Evolved", Not Very Effective is "NVE" :)

Dinosaur warmblooded-ness is actually a lot older in knowledge than most may know. I knew it when I was in school many years ago but then again, I was obsessed... I actually had to relearn alot after a decade or so of lack knowledge. True the idea of feathers on your favorite carnivores is only inching its way into the populace now; had this type come out many years ago, it might've been acceptable practice.

So for the 4 types proposed...

Ice: Resisted by and resistant to
Warm blooded, insulated by massive weight or light down. Even early dinosaurs like Ceolophysis
Poison: neutral to Dino attacks, possibly SE
Steel: 2 way neutral
Fire: Resistant to, neutral when attacking.

So... like this it would thus far look like in my view

Dino:
Attacking
2x:
.5x: Ice
0x:

Defending
2x: Poison (possibly)
.5x: Fire, Ice
0x:

If you wanted to ask me a more fuller view

Dino:
Attacking
2x: Fairy, Electric, Bug, Water
.5x: Ice, Rock, Dragon, Normal
0x:

Defending
2x: Poison, Dragon, Rock
.5x: Fire, Ice, Fairy, Electric
0x: Water

That's just my view on it though.

Maybe Psychic should be SE against Dino, because most (MOST) dinosaurs weren't very intelligent. Also, how will the new types bedecided in the future? Will they be submitted and then polled, or just chosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)