The "Recommended If You Like..." Music Thread

hey all. i stumbled upon a new artist that i liked while listening to the radio tonight and i'd like to find more music like hers. i thought it would be a good idea to create a thread in which people post certain artists so that other people can help them find other similar artists that they might like.

so to start, i'll post a couple songs by my artist in question, bajka:
bajka -- the vanishing (dr. rubberfunk remix) (not the full song, but enough to get the gist)
bajka -- the bellman's speech

she has been described as Broken Beat, Acid Jazz, Downtempo, Future Jazz, Soul, and Nu Jazz, if that helps.

thanks and post with your own. toss out some recs if they're relevant to someone else's post. let's make this a :adam::adam::adam::adam::adam: thread.

so I kinda thought about whether or not I wanted to reply to this, but you can just use programs like spotify or last.fm and it will recommend artists based on what you listen too.

in spotify's case you search for an artist and in the top right a list of similar artists will show. for music players like last.fm you enter an artist/band and it creates a custom radio for you with artists similar to the one you entered.

so yeah I don't think a thread like this is necessary when most music programs/players already have this feature built in.

might as well give you an example though. I searched bajka in spotify and found the following artists to be similar:

bonobo-trio, protassoy, felix leband, jon kennedy, ladi6, aaron jarome, and hidden orchestra.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
idk sometimes those aren't the greatest thing to use to recommend similar artists, a lot of similar post-rock artists to ones that i actually like are really bland and unexciting.

this bajka stuff is pretty cool

perhaps you'd also like

jazz liberators
herajika tracks - shigure
digable planets
badbadnotgood
flying lotus
TOKiMONSTA
star slinger
washed out

i only hyperlinked one because that's the only notable track i know the rest i can vouch for being solid overall and whatever you probably find will be good.

I agree with Faint. Use Last FM. It's amazing and you will find MUCH more similar artists than any other program. I've found the majority of my favorite artists now from browsing that site. You can actually look up Bajka on Last FM and then play a radio station made up entirely of music similar to her.

xenu

Banned deucer.
poppy already mentioned badbadnotgood, but also check out Violent Sun if you like jazz; they are a v eclectic nu-jazz band and are quite easily likable.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I havent used last.fm in a while, but, basically I used to get a lot of "hey, have you heard of this band Oasis?"

If you like bands like 3 doors down, Theory of a dead man, and Seether, you have to check out Seven Wiser (and if you liked that song the acoustic version is even better).

thanks for the rec, faint. i do use last.fm, and i've already checked out a couple of bajka's related artists. the thing about last.fm similar artists is that the they (from what i've read) are largely based around playcounts -- that is, other artists that are scrobbled by users who listen to a particular artist -- and genre (which i find to be a somewhat unfulfilling way to categorize music, because it literally pidgeonholes). pandora is better about this because it takes more of the actual musical similarity into account. i'm not as familiar with spotify. and poppy brings up a good point: having used last.fm radio and other similar programs a fair bit, i've found that there's often a lot of chaff to sit through.

but there's something to be said about personal recommendation, which is why i made this thread. i'm not asking you to do the research for me. i'm looking for recommendations by users who have enjoyed music similar to what i've posted. we'll see if that's more effective than strictly using recommendations by the various services you mentioned.

anyway... cool cool cool. thanks for the recs, all. i will be checking out the artists that faint, poppy and xenu posted. don't forget to post if you are looking for recs of your own.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You can also use last.fm's "Neighbor" tab to see people who have similar tastes to you and what they listen to. Mite b cool

Pandora (with AdBlock Pro - blocks ads from popping up and you have an endless stream of artists) is really good too. Sometimes they are hit and miss. I was listening to Ludacris on Pandora and the next song was by Neil Diamond which was like "what the fuck?" but for the most part it does a good job. I think they just throw some in like that to make sure you're listening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)