The Smogger

Hey Smogon,
This is just a windows application I made - not for serious use or anything, just to get me used to making apps (rather than games, which I've been doing for a while).
But, yeah... Since it was pretty heavily based on Smogon, why not share it?
It probably won't get much use since you can use the Shoddy Team maker rather than the Teamer feature of this app, but try it out anyway >.>
The other feature is the Smogger, which is basically a Smogon navigator.
Go to file>How to use to find instructions for the app.

And sorry if this is the wrong section, couldn't find anywhere else to post it (apart from the 'programming' section, but this app isn't really serious so...)

Yah.

Edit: By the way, if anyone wants to request an app related to Smogon or not, go ahead. I'm looking for something to do atm >.>

Edit: Ok here's some screenies I took of the app for the 'How to use' option of the app.

http://img269.imageshack.us/i/helpmenusmogger.png/ << That's the Smogger

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/teamerhelp.png/ << That's the Teamer

Edit:
v1.0 - Original
v1.1 - Added Help Menu
v1.2 - Added SCMS Support, Forum Access
v1.2.1 - SCMS bug fixed
v1.2.2 - SCMS profile support
v1.3 - Arkeis Support
v1.3.1 - Changing boxes in the Teamer is easier, SCMS in the Teamer, New Type Checker (BETA), Can now press 'enter' to conduct searches.
v1.3.2 - Fixed a bug that made the taskbar sometimes disappear
v1.3.3 - Added a Timer function (for RNG). Note that the only RNG I am familiar with is Emerald's, and within that I am only familiar with RNGing for Pokemon given by NPCs and interactable ones. Will update this as I learn more on RNG. Also currently no bleeps in the last few seconds.
v1.3.4 - [Coming Soon] Serebii Support

So this is like Smogon's team maker? I want make sure what it does before I download it....

lol, If you could make a double battle stimulator, that would be great.

Doesn't work under wine unfortunately, so I can't fully check it's behaviour. Clamscan reports it as clean, but that doesn't mean much when considering custom software.

@Airfoil - There are two sections to the app. The first is basically a Smogon navigator. The second one is called Teamer. The Teamer basically just assists in making teams (not really like Shoddy's Team maker at all...)

Edit: I edit the main post with some screenies I took for the help section of the app.

@cantab - I assure you the software is safe. I'll post a scan in a sec.

Scan: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/...70f792b26c967a3029f346d1cc61bd5263-1273714437

Just wanted to point out a few things. I have NOT downloaded the program.

1. Can virus scanners pick up RAR files? I mean, I'm not accusing you of trying to infiltrate anyone's computer, but is the file so large that it needs to be compressed, and why not ZIP?

2. Why should I download this program at all? Wouldn't it just be easier to load up Firefox or use the teambuilder?

As it is, I just don't see any real benefits to putting this on my computer.

1. Can virus scanners pick up RAR files? I mean, I'm not accusing you of trying to infiltrate anyone's computer, but is the file so large that it needs to be compressed, and why not ZIP?
Because ZIP sucks and is heavily outclassed by 7z and RAR.

I can see why it was made, but since you need an internet connection to even play Shoddy, having it offline isn't really all that useful. Unless it does more than it appears.

It works fine for me, but it doesn't do anything particularly useful. If you are doing practice projects you should put a bit more thought into making something with a bit more point as you'll get more out of it if you make something people want to use.

Design is a big part of making programs, but something a lot of programmers aren't very good at. I'd suggest planning your programs better instead of just hammering out code.

Yeah.. I just have no idea what people want these days. Any suggestions >.>
About the program's usefulness - I agree I didn't think about how useful the end result would be. It was really just to get me into apps rather than games

Yes they can pick up RAR files. I didn't compress it because it was large (pretty small actually) but because there are multiple files. I didn't want to have to upload, or make other people download, two separate files when it's easier to do 1. The only reason it's in RAR rather than ZIP is because I just click "ok" on the compress menu, and RAR happened to be the format selected. I can upload a zip if you want.

2. Why should I download this program at all? Wouldn't it just be easier to load up Firefox or use the teambuilder?
First part of this Q, well that's your opinion. If you are only going to go on Smogon and aren't going to use the forums, I honestly think my app is marginally better for that (slightly faster navigation). However if you are going to go to other websites, or want to use the forums Firefox is probably better. On the teambuilder - yeah that's what I was talking about in the topic post.

As it is, I just don't see any real benefits to putting this on my computer.
Yeah, again the only reason I'm sharing this is because it has so much to do with Smogon.

As I alluded to - making a trojan, that requires user installation, is very easy. For all you know you could download a program that looks fine, but is quietly corrupting your files or grabbing your internet explorer saved passwords and emailing them to someone. And because it's custom code, virus scanners are highly likely to miss it.

Now, I am not accusing this particular program of being dishonest. I am merely stating general principles.

On a more positive note: Thunderfudge, you may want to check out Project Entropy, in the Suggestions Forum. It's a project to create a version of Smogon optimised for mobile devices. I don't know what your code is like or what technologies it uses, but perhaps it could be ported?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
c'mon guys, it is "technically possible" that this is a problem program, but why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of writing something does it's stated function and that virus scanners won't pick up then post it in this way (not in a maximum visibility place, not a program that huge numbers of people are going to download). If you don't want to download it, it's your choice. But lets not have any more throwing out ungrounded suspicions in this thread.

Anyway. I downloaded the program, it's actually kinda cool and significantly faster than firefox at loading most of the site pages I tested. Lack of back button, tabs, SCMS access, and other sites will probably keep me from using it generally, but it certainly does have some use. Additionally, I find the Smogon search more useful than the bar at the top, it takes you to most things much faster (moves/pokemon/abilities) without having to select the category, and you can get past generations like "rs: zapdos". Handy for items though, I guess. Until the search gets items added at least.

If you're looking to help out around Smogon, we're always in great need of good programmers. If you know C++ or java to a good level, the shoddy battle 2 project is the top priority right now, DougJustDoug would be the person to contact about it.

As for other ideas, there are plenty hanging around the suggestion box which have been put on hold simply due to lack of programming resources. Not many are actual apps, but I'm sure you can find something that interests you. And I'm sure there are plenty of actual apps which would be very useful.

And because it's custom code, virus scanners are highly likely to miss it.
It's clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about.

First off, what exactly do you even mean by 'custom code'? Custom as opposed to what? Do you think that a program compiled by one person is different from code compiled in any other way? Code is code is code is code...the instructions to make your computer do something are the same no matter who put them there. And since virus scanners look for instructions for malicious behaviors not specific code blocks, they'll catch it as easily in a program made by one guy and in a program made by a company. In fact, it's probably harder to catch a virus in code made by a company because they have several programmers working to find ways to obfuscate the malicious code.

Anyway. I downloaded the program, it's actually kinda cool and significantly faster than firefox at loading most of the site pages I tested. Lack of back button, tabs, SCMS access, and other sites will probably keep me from using it generally, but it certainly does have some use.
Thanks! Tabs and back buttons I can add pretty easily - what exactly do you mean by SCMS?

If you're looking to help out around Smogon, we're always in great need of good programmers. If you know C++ or java to a good level, the shoddy battle 2 project is the top priority right now, DougJustDoug would be the person to contact about it.

As for other ideas, there are plenty hanging around the suggestion box which have been put on hold simply due to lack of programming resources. Not many are actual apps, but I'm sure you can find something that interests you. And I'm sure there are plenty of actual apps which would be very useful.
I'll check it out :D

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SCMS is the Smogon content management system, lets badgeholders edit almost any page on site (so long as they get a Siter Staffer to cache). Normally get to it with the SCMS jump bookmark javascript:window.location%20=%20%22http://%22%20+%20window.location.host%20+%20%22/scms/jump?url=%22%20+%20window.location.pathname which takes you to the SCMS entry for the page you are currently on. Can navigate from smogon/scms/ to any scms entry. Not accessible to non-badged members.

Edit: SCMS guide

SCMS is the Smogon content management system, lets badgeholders edit almost any page on site (so long as they get a Siter Staffer to cache). Normally get to it with the SCMS jump bookmark javascript:window.location%20=%20%22http://%22%20+%20window.location.host%20+%20%22/scms/jump?url=%22%20+%20window.location.pathname which takes you to the SCMS entry for the page you are currently on. Can navigate from smogon/scms/ to any scms entry. Not accessible to non-badged members.

Edit: SCMS guide
Alright, that's pretty easy (already halfway done >.>)
I probably won't add in the forum profile SCMS script as you can't easily access the forums with the smogger...
I'll post a new version in a sec. (It won't have tabs yet - they're glitching up)

Edit: Wait, yes you can access profiles (Go to any page and use the Google search at the top of Smogon. Guess that means you can go to any site).
I'll add that one in too.

Edit: Ok SCMS support is up. See v1.2 in the topic post. Make sure you read all the new tabs in the 'help' menu (File>How to Use). I'll need a badge holder to test out if the SCMS feature works as expected.

Edit: Ok, I've finally fixed the SCMS bug.

eric the espeon

hm, when I try to use SCMS it requests that I log in then auto redirects me to the log in page after briefly displaying "thank you for logging in". I think some badgeholders have had this problem before.

hm, when I try to use SCMS it requests that I log in then auto redirects me to the log in page after briefly displaying "thank you for logging in". I think some badgeholders have had this problem before.
Hmmm... Is it a bug in my app, do you think, or is it a bug in the site.
If it's my app I'll do my best to fix it.
Also, I'll add SCMS for forum profiles soon, and hopefully along with a back/forward buttons.

eric the espeon

well, SCMS works fine on FireFox for me, but I know some people have had then same problem on normal browsers, so it's probably a bit of both... i wonder..

hm.. It seems to work so long as you visit the forums first, so that's good.

v1.2.2 is up now. All that I added was the other SCMS code to access SCMS profiles from that user's forum profile.

v1.3 is up. Doesn't have tabs like I said but the updates are planned from now (see topic post)

Edit: Edit: Thanks ete. Gratz on 3k btw.

Edit 2: Oh, and sorry that I had asked a mod to delete my post a short time ago - I just realised I could delete my own... >.>

v1.3.1 is up now. See update notes for changes. Just one last time - I need a badgeholder to test the SCMS in the Teamer (Both SCMS scripts). I won't need another badgeholder unless the SCMS gets updated.

Working on Serebii support.... Bulbapedia will probably arrive before Serebii though.

To access the Type Checker in v1.3.1 hold shift and click the 'types' button in the Smogger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)