The Smogon Mario Kart 8 Thread

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
BABY PARK IS WHERE ITS AT AMIRITE... damn, now I really wish I had a Wii U.

Anyways, Its nice to see 2 GBA tracks return. Super Circuit is the game with the least tracks being remade in a later installment, despite being tied for most OG tracks. But at least Neo Bowser City doesnt have any more rain, which is good. The new tracks look good, I would like to see how hectic the subway one gets. However, the thing that disappoints me the most is Big Blue :( , especially with 200cc, you know where I'm going with this..

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
However, the thing that disappoints me the most is Big Blue :( , especially with 200cc, you know where I'm going with this..
wait, you're excited by baby park and upset about one of the best new tracks? Are you on backwards? :s

First impressions I think Super Bell Subway is my favourite from the dlc, with Wild Woods a close second.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
wait, you're excited by baby park and upset about one of the best new tracks? Are you on backwards? :s

First impressions I think Super Bell Subway is my favourite from the dlc, with Wild Woods a close second.
I really liked Baby Park back in Double Dash, it was good w/ friends because of how hectic it was. w/ 200cc, well shit, it adds to the crazyness. The Big Blue part was mostly a joke, I really like the track, but I'd rather have an F-Zero game instead :P

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I really liked Baby Park back in Double Dash, it was good w/ friends because of how hectic it was. w/ 200cc, well shit, it adds to the crazyness. The Big Blue part was mostly a joke, I really like the track, but I'd rather have an F-Zero game instead :P
I never played F-Zero as a kid, but god damn after seeing all these cool tracks being brought back, I really hope it's Nintendo hinting at a possible future release :)

The only thing I don't like about dBP in mk8 is, well, in double dash the items were hectic, but still fun. In mk8, the items are just plain annoying. Fireballs, boomerangs, and piranha plants are a lot less fun than a giant bowser shell + dk bananas. The track won't be terrible, just a slight letdown.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ribbon road and cheese land are like the 2 biggest races Ive wanted them to remake. Its about time! Absolutely love baby park but I doubt it will be quite as hectic as in double dash without our bowser shells.

Speaking of double dash, I really looking forward to the day they decide to bring that feature (and character special weapons) back. Miss my DK banana and chain chomp>bullet bill.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Excluding future DLC, the only track left that hasn't subbed 2 minutes is Rainbow Road, at 2'00"981. Diogo (the current world champion and RR WR holder) said
it's impossible to do without a new strat, so it may be a while until all tracks are at 1 minute :/
A quick update on this by the way, Lyto, Diogo recently posted on twitter that his best splits give him a 1:59:984, so it's possible to sub RR with current strats, it'll just take a literally perfect run :)

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, he has the ability to sub, but he can't actually play mk8 anymore due to stuff going on irl for him with school etc, so he's been playing mk7 instead recently (he got 2nd worldwide on RRM last night, incidentally).
It's a shame, but because of that I don't think the sub will come for a while :/

...and I can't play it until I'm home from school. I may set up a tournament when I get home, so if your interested, sit tight! It will contain only DLC tracks.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just tried 200cc today and holy shit...

I cant get used to the speed increase. Granted i did the last cup and my set up is mainly to aid in drifting constantly. But i see myself sliding farther than i want to a whole lot. So I think it's time to hit up time trials and see about getting a new kart set up because i cant handle how much i've been sliding out of my drifts. Normally I can correct it but ugh.

What have you all done to mitigate the speed increse to safely and quickly get finished with the races?

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the exception of a few tracks like yoshi circuit that really aren't designed for 200 at all, I haven't found it that bad. Starting drifts earlier and using brake-drifting more often has helped quite a bit.
I still use heavy fox mii/blue falcon/slick, so I don't think using a higher handling combo is entirely necessary

managed to get three stars in the first two 200cc cups, but it went downhill from there. the art of breaking while drifting takes some practise but when you time it right it really helps get past those tight corners.

seriously fuck cheeseland on 200cc, it's downright impossible. idk maybe it's just because i don't know the track yet,, but the tight corners are ridiculous. i'm having a lot of success with small light characters on 200cc compared to the heavies (obviously)

but yeah it's the best thing thats happened to mario kart, spent about 5 hours with some pals playing splitscreen today

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Haven't played as much as I wanted to so far, but I managed to put in about 10 hours today. The whole thing is amazing, all the tracks are downright awesome. even baby park isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

200cc is really fun, especially on worldwides haha. Definitely added new life to the game, as it kinda forces you to look at the old 40 tracks with new life.
Excitebike is fucking amazing on 200, and I completely agree that cheese land is the hardest of the 48 on 200cc. Baby park is a real crash course on brakedrifting if you aren't great at it yet :)

10/10 dlc, hopefully they do a character dlc in the future, as it surely wouldn't take as long to put together as a track dlc. Maybe battle courses too? Idk

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I just had an amusing race on SNES Rainbow Road (200CC) where a CPU fired a Blue Shell and managed to get it trapped underneath the track (skip to around 0:36 to see it pass by Baby Peach as she falls off).

The CPU Bowser had the shell as it drove off the track and fired it right before Lakitu saved him. It then followed the track underneath, went right past me (I'm Lemmy in first), and continued following the track until it disappeared without hitting anyone!

I've been loving 200CC as much as everyone else. I have to admit that this game grew dull for me pretty quickly but 200CC has made it exciting again and the new courses are all great (and yes Cheese Land is tough, although I've had a bit more trouble with Bone Dry Dunes, Piranha Plant Pipeway/Slide and a few others to be honest). I've been using Lemmy with Teddy Buggy/Cyber Slicks/Bowser Kite (dunno if it's particularly efficient but that's the vehicle set-up I've always used, might try heavier characters to see what works best for me) and managed to get all the 3 star trophies in 200CC fairly quickly other than some bad luck forcing a few retries on certain cups. Haven't play much online but the races I did have were fun.

200CC is also the first time where I actually dread being hit by a Blooper - it's hard enough trying to keep a good line on some tracks and it isn't fun to have your traction cut at the most inconvenient times. But at least the item is actually useful now.

I absolutely love 200 cc. For once, it actually feels like I'm going fast in my favorite racing game. Sad I can't use Waluigi very well in 200 cc, (Waluigi is love, Waluigi is life) as he goes too fast to drift through certain sharp turns.

Edit:Waluigi is number 1 My ID is Azureaper, if anyone wants to add me on their Wii U system.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As it turns out, you can skip part of the dual-lane area on 200cc Rainbow Road just by virtue of being fast as shit.

You'll still get in last place after falling off 4584754398579048 times unless you brake during your drifts, but it's worth a mention.

As it turns out, you can skip part of the dual-lane area on 200cc Rainbow Road just by virtue of being fast as shit.

You'll still get in last place after falling off 4584754398579048 times unless you brake during your drifts, but it's worth a mention.
I start my drifts extra early when playing 200 cc. That way, there's more breathing room in the turns. Helpful for some of the sharper ones.

Bless the second DLC pack for finally giving me a vehicle combo that I love both in stats and looks.

Lemmy: Streetle + Slick + Cloud Glider

And it works just great in 200cc too! Thanks Nintendo!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)