The Studio - Song Recommendations

st. pablo

custom title
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Recommendations for the Week of: May 18th - May 25th, 2018
test

Good evening comrades, everyone submitted a rec this week, but we got bored of our own music taste so this week we imitated a different staff member's music taste instead! Let us know how you think we did.​

• (@) Doom Metal (CloudyNatu)
  • Song: Black Flag - Black Coffee
  • Genre: punk like me XD
  • Description: Just because my name is a genre doesn't mean I HAVE to always recommend songs from it, haters.

• (%) ImmaFirinMahLazer (Doom Metal)
  • Song: imagine dragons - radioactive
  • Genre: alternative rock
  • Description: "does imagine dragons work? its the most recent pop song i know" - Doom Metal

• (%) vivalospride (Brandon~)
  • Song: Jay-Z - Family Feud (feat. Beyoncé)
  • Genre: Hip-Hop
  • Description: Heyo! It's ya boi SuperVegeta here again with another UU battle! Today, I'll be battling my wife Amane Misa!!! The team I'll be using is banded scizor offense passed by my wife Chloe. My wife Juuno will also be doing commentary with me about how sick my plays were. The theme music will be Family Feud by Jay-Z and his wife Beyoncé, to show how hard it was for me to have all of my wives fighting against each other ;w;. Luckily it all worked out in the end for us >:3.

• (%) Bate335 (vivalospride)
  • Song: Netherfell - Mokosz
  • Genre: Polish Metal
  • Description: The first thing that popped up when I searched "polish metal music" on YouTube.

Last edited:

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: May 25th - June 1st, 2018
I know I'm late, I'm sorry. I'm bad, but also vivalospride is untrustworthy. No theme, enjoy.​

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Bebe Zahara Benet - Jungle Kitty
  • Genre: Drag Queen (idk what actual genre it is, bc I'm a dummy)
  • Description: The first release from Bebe's upcoming album. It builds upon her verse from Drag Up Your Life, featured in Season 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars.

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Jessie J - Queen
  • Genre: Experimental Pop
  • Description: Super empowering song for people who struggle with body issues. Similar to what Jessie has released lately, Queen has a very experimental sound, extremely different from what she has ever done before. It's definitely one of my favorite songs of the year till now - the message is super powerful, and the toned down production is very sonically pleasing, and gives us the opportunity to actually hear her voice to the fullest throughout the entire song.

• (%) Bate335
  • song: Hunter - Psi
  • genre: heavy/thrash/kurwa metal
  • description: kurwa kurwa polish shit

• (%) KingSwordYT
  • Song: Lord Huron - The Night We Met
  • Genre: Rock/Alternative
  • Description: I Recently finished the season 2 of 13 reasons why and this song is so emotional, and since that day im stuck with this.

• (%) CloudyNatu
  • Song: Shawn Mendes - Nervous
  • Genre: Pop
  • Description: Haven't really found a Shawn Mendes song I feel more than indifferent towards, but Nervous, which is one of his newer songs, has a very different tempo and tone than his others.

Big congrats to Rageeeee for earning room driver earlier this week! :pimp:

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
!n2.gif

Recommendations for the week of: June 1st - June 8th, 2018
Sup! Recs are in. The theme this week was songs from the 80s, so everything here was released some time in the decade. Enjoy!

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)
  • Genre: New Wave
  • Description: Probably one of the actual best songs of the 80s that I've ever heard. Lyrically, it talks about the importance of empathy in a relationship, where both parties can understand and know how each of them are feeling. The production really just further emphasizes this message, specifically after it reaches the bridge, where Kate's background vocals sound very similar to a groan, which probably means that she and her partner have finally decided to try to understand each other and talk about their issues and feelings. How the number of instruments increases and the deeper tuned voice in the outro could also indicate that it's a very difficult situation. It's truly one of the most sonically pleasing songs out there.

• (%) Bate335
  • song: Kat - 666
  • genre: heavy/ speed /proto black metal
  • description: bring back 80s proto black speed metal also kurwa

• (%) Brandons Wig (babsus)
  • Song: ABBA - Super Trouper
  • Description: An iconic bop released in 1980. Fun fact: ABBA member Agnetha Fältskog is actually Brandon in drag

• (%) ImmaFirinMahLazer
  • Song: Huey Lewis and The News - Hip To Be Squard
  • Genre: Rock
  • Description: In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

• (#) Blunty (Arrested)
  • Song: Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
  • Description: I don't think anyone else has ever heard this song, it's pretty obscure, someone linked me to it once, idk I thought it was pretty good. The lyrics really spoke to me and Rick Astley's vocals are truly stunning on this track.

joethemaster

Intermolecular Despots and Kittens
  • (#) Blunty (Arrested)
  • Song: Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
  • Description: I don't think anyone else has ever heard this song, it's pretty obscure, someone linked me to it once, idk I thought it was pretty good. The lyrics really spoke to me and Rick Astley's vocals are truly stunning on this track.
Couldn't agree more, glad more people are finally finding this hidden gem of the 80's.

KingSwordYT

Mr. Superior thinking
is a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Recommendations for a month after last post because we've been busy :P

WE'RE BAAAAACK'. The theme for this week was "dead" artists, adding the symbols because surgeon things e_e. Press F to pay respects for all these peeps. EnJoY!
Weebners (Room Owner #)
  • PS! Username: Brandy Winehouse (Brandon~)
  • Song: Amy Winehouse - Fuck Me Pumps
  • Genre: Neo Soul
  • Description: I've always been a huge fan of Amy since I got into her, and unfortunately she passes away way before she could really get into her career. I think that this song is one of her more underrated ones, and it really showcases her cynicism and interesting perspective, and I really appreciate it.

M0DS (Room mods @)

• PS name: bumbadadabum
  • Song: Joy Division - Ceremony
  • Genre: :(
  • Description: Last song Joy Division recorded before Ian Curtis died. Vocal quality is shit but there's just no better recording that isn't the New Order version of the same song.

• PS! Username: 1Surgeon (weirdo)
  • Song: The Old Taylor - You Belong With Me
  • Genre: She's dead sssss
  • Description: One day, old Taylor was just minding her own business, riding her red unicorn through the hills of her 1989 family house with her 2009 VMA award for Best Female Video... fearless as ever, when The Wicked Witch From The West, also known as Kanya, stole it from her - "Sorry Taylor but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time", she said. Old Taylor tried to get it back but the wicked witch swiftly grabbed her wand and gathered an army of snakes that ate her alive... However, what the wicked witch had not predicted was that another Taylor would rise from the ashes - The New Taylor. She went on to change her reputation, from the beat up kitten to the artist that makes choruses without a base line RIP Old Taylor, you'll always be in our hearts...

Drivers (%)

• PS name: weebalospride (vivalospride)
  • Song: Xxxtentacion - I spoke to the devil in miami, he said everything would be fine
  • Genre: Hip Hop
  • Description: Rest in peace X, for real this dude had a huge impact on my life and I never honestly expected to be hit as hard as I did when he died. His legacy will live forever through his music as one of the best of his generation. I don't care what you think of him, just please respect him, no one deserves to die at 20, he was truly trying his best to be better. RIP a legend, hip hop will miss you.

• PS! Username: KingSwordYT
  • Song: Avicii - Wake me Up
  • Genre: Dance/Electronic
  • Description: I like copying babsus-kun so i selected Avicii. Sadly this great artist passed away so young, but his legacy in the EDM genre will stay with us for a lot of time C:

Also make sure to congratulate our homie MDM for getting room driver and good user Dylas for getting room voice =)!

Last edited:

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
Our Next Series of Recommendations

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Kelis - Milkshake
  • Genre: Iconic R&B according to the google
  • Description: MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE BOYS TO THE YARD

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Ariana Grande - God is a Woman
  • Description: She uses the term "God is a woman" as a way of female empowerment and female sexual liberation, and makes many religious references to make this point across the music video, such as replacing the male figures in Michelangelo's Creation of Adam with females and having Madonna recite an interpretation of a verse from the Bible.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Cardi B - Like I Do (feat. SZA)
  • Genre: Hip-Hop
  • Description: I love the combination of Cardi B and SZA!!! Two upcoming female artists of color making a sassy song about female empowerment is something hard to not love tbh.
Feel free to post your own song recommendations as well!

This is my first post here, but the song I recommend is

[[Wannabe Glee Cast]]
As this cover of Wannabe by SpiceGirls actually sounds much better to me than in the original version

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
Our Next Installment of Song Recommendations~

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Mariah Carey - Fourth of July
  • Genre: R&B
  • Description: One of the best from her magnum opus, combining jazz and hip hop influences with the use of her falsetto. It's a very nostalgic and overall sweet and romantic track, but also has a very weird melancholy attached to it, especially in the way she sings "truly I could never feel the same as I felt that Fourth of July" as if she fears that she'll never share a moment like that with anyone else. Probably not for everyone's hear, but I'm personally obsessed with her layered, sweet and whiskery vocals and the lyrics are an A+ as usual.

• (%) MelodicDeathMetal (MDM)
  • Song: Bloodlust - Deadly Force
  • Genre: Blackened Thrash Metal
  • Description: High quality blackened filth from Australia.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Ciara - Level Up
  • Genre: R&B
  • Description: Ciara is back!!! (take that Jon The Bastard) I think that this song really shows how she's able to keep her own special brand of music, but constantly updating it to accommodate to the new demands of the music industry. I am impatiently waiting for more of her songs to drop, and really think that this is gonna be a great album!

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Our Next Series of Recommendations...

• (%) MelodicDeathMetal
  • Song: Exciter - Violence and Force
  • Genre: 80s Speed Metal
  • Description: Bring back 80s speed metal

• (Former %) babsus
  • Song: Marina and the Diamonds - Happy

• (@) KingSwordYT
  • Song: Imagine Dragons - Natural
  • Genre: Rock/Alternative
  • Description: OOF this song is so fucking amazing

• (@) rovietsussia
  • Song: sora - 空の下
  • Genre: emo
  • Description: super underrated band that anyone who likes this style of music should listen to, and even if you don't like this style of music, listen to it anyway

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Dusty Sprinfrield - I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore
  • Genre: R&B/Soul Description: Recently discovered this album, definitely one of the best pieces of work as far as blue-eyed soul can go. Dusty wraps every single song around her breathy and sensual voice, which works very well with this type of material. "I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore" was written by Randy Newman and originally the A-Side to her version of "The Windmills of Your Mind", but that ended up winning the Oscar for Best Song in 1969, so the label decided to promote that instead, but the much more personal lyrics in "I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore" makes it much more appealing and relatable to me. Definitely one of my favorites from the album.

st. pablo

custom title
i know the question on everyone's mind lately is, where has arrested been? well truth be told i've been in jail, and i missed u guys so i had vivalospride come bail me out so i'm free once again. but not only have i missed out on posting, i've missed out on song recs too, so here's mine for this week:
  • (#) arrested
  • song: logic - 44 more
  • genre: hip-hop/rap
  • description: this song is h e a t. this is that one song on my playlist that i used to skip every time (u all know the one), but the other day i decided not to skip it and it was so good. i like logic because he feels authentic and is a sensible artist that uses lyrics to tell a story or try to convey a message, and this song addresses success, family conflict, priorities, and his craft and impact on the music industry. it's a great follow-up to his other song "44 bars". the songs got good rhythm, a nice beat, and overall is a banger. and fr, logic can spit.

Last edited:

vivalospride

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Next Series of Song Recommendations...

• (%) MelodicDeathMetal
  • Song: Númenor - Valhalla (Blind Guardian cover)
  • Genre: Power Metal
  • Description: A pretty good Blind Guardian cover. Númenor's other material is pretty cool as well, much more black metal and symphonic though. They're worth a listen if you like symphonic black/power metal stuff.

• (@) rovietsussia
  • Song: MF DOOM - one beer
  • Genre: abstract hip hop
  • Description: after madlib and mf doom collaborated for the madvillain album, mf doom raps over another madlib produced beat a few months later, and the result is as good as anything off of madvillainy. "take it from the dude who wears like a mask like a retarded helmet" is a stupid line but i think it's pretty funny

• (%) ImmaFirinMahLazer
  • Song: Choker - Rocker
  • Genre: Alt R&B
  • Description: This album is one of my favorites of this year and his past songs El Dorado and Diorama are perfection. Choker is an amazing upcoming artist, and his album Honeybloom is a must listen if you're a Frank Ocean fan. Rocket is probably one of favs off the album.

• (@) Amingo
  • Song: Black Map - Let Me Out
  • Genre: rock

• (%) Rageeeee
  • Song: Iron Maiden - The Trooper
  • Genre: New Wave of British Heavy Metal
  • Description: an absolute classic of the genre

• (#) Arrested
  • Song: drake - nonstop
  • Genre: hip-hop/rap
  • Description: still haven't listened to the entire scorpion album, but out of the songs i have listened to, this is by far my favorite, drake goes OFF. such a good energetic song that gets you hyped.

vivalospride

Theme: Songs that begin with "The"

• (@) vivalospride
  • Song: Flatbush Zombies - The Glory
  • Genre: hip-hop
  • Description: I've been listening to this song ever since this album dropped and the last verse gives me goosebumps to this day, also a dope Denzel feature as well.

• (%) MelodicDeathMetal (MDM)
  • Song: Manilla Road - The Fires of Mars
  • Genre: Epic Heavy/Power Metal
  • Description: RIP Mark Shelton, one of the most influential and creative artists within heavy metal.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Lady Gaga - The Cure
  • Description: A great single from Gaga post-Joanne. It really makes me excited for what she's gonna do with her sound next. This song combines Gaga's great vocals with a more traditional pop-sounding melody, but definitely is trying to show off her and not her gimmicks, which I really appreciate.

• (@) Amingo
  • Song: Thrice - The Weight of Glory

• (%) Rageeeee
  • Song: Darkthrone - The Winds They Called the Dungeon Shaker
  • Genre: Heavy Metal/Speed Metal/Black Metal
  • Description: HAIL FENRIZ

• (@) KingSwordYT
  • Song: Nina Nesbitt - The Best You Had
  • Description: Well, i was going to rec The Night we met, but i remember'ed i already recommended it so i went with my 2nd option, i found this song a few days ago due to a friend and it is very nice, soft rhytm, good vocals and cute lyrics

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: No Doubt - The Climb
  • Genre: Ska Punk
  • Description: Tragic Kingdom is one of my favorite albums and its been praised by critics ever since it was released, but I always felt like this song never got the attention it deserved. It's easily one of my favorite songs on the record, mostly due to the uplifting/empowering lyrics and the overall arrangement. Everything kind of comes together, probably due to Gwen's vocals. She really went out of her way to show off her underrated musicianship, using gospel techniques like squalling and the very fast vibrato. It sounds even better live ;w;

Have you ever wanted to listen to the staff recs but were too lazy to click and watch/listen to every linked song? Well, now you can listen to all the songs on a combined Spotify playlist (all the songs I'm able to find). We also have a playlist of nearly all of our past staff recs. We also have many more playlists to come. So follow our Spotify account and subscribe to any playlist you want.

vivalospride

• (%) MelodicFlowerMetal (MDM)
  • Song: Lost Horizon - The Kingdom of My Will
  • Genre: Power Metal
  • Description: Despite the cheesiness of their self-empowerment based lyrics, Lost Horizon had simply released some of the best material within the genre of power metal.

• (@) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
  • Description: "Bella Donna is a term of endearment I use and the title is about making a lot of decisions in my life, making a change based on the turmoil in my soul. You get to a certain age where you want to slow down, be quieter. The title song was basically a warning to myself and a question to others. I’m thirty-three years old, and my life has been very up and down in the last six years."

• (@) Soviet Russia (rovietsussia)
  • Song: number girl - saso-you
  • Genre: post-hardcore
  • Description: i had to scroll down on youtube to find this video because it has less than 1000 views :frowning:

• (#) Brandéline Dion (Brandon~)
  • Song: Céline Dion - Ashes
  • Genre: Céline Dion
  • Description: Watch the music video. Great vocals, beautiful performance, a great ending. Definitely would recommend!

Last edited:

vivalospride

Theme for this week: Album covers with red in it.

• (%) The Exodus Attack (MDM)
  • Song: At the Gates - Through Gardens of Grief
  • Genre: Old School Death Metal, early Melodic Death Metal
  • Description: At the Gates' one masterpiece of an album. Nothing else they ever released came even close to The Red in the Sky Is Ours.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Maroon 5 - This Love
  • Genre: Pop Rock
  • Description: If you don't know what the album cover for Songs About Jane looks like, you need to educate yourself on the whole album tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)