The Studio - Song Recommendations

Next Series of Song Recommendations...
Theme for this week: Album covers with red in it.

• (%) The Exodus Attack (MDM)
  • Song: At the Gates - Through Gardens of Grief
  • Genre: Old School Death Metal, early Melodic Death Metal
  • Description: At the Gates' one masterpiece of an album. Nothing else they ever released came even close to The Red in the Sky Is Ours.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Maroon 5 - This Love
  • Genre: Pop Rock
  • Description: If you don't know what the album cover for Songs About Jane looks like, you need to educate yourself on the whole album tbh.

We really doing this ? Story of Viv's Hidden Child

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

• (%) coinboy
  • Song: future - throw away
  • Genre: emotional trap
  • Description: kinda just wanna go to the park down the street and hammer a book to a tree

• (%) The Exodus Attack (MDM)
  • Song: Apotheosis - The Maimed God
  • Genre: Epic Symphonic Black/Thrash Metal
  • Description: Basically just Bal-Sagoth/Mirrorthrone + thrash metal.

• (@) Surgeon
  • Song: Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch
  • Genre: Psychedelic Rock / Soft Rock
  • Description: I've always been a huge Lana fan, ever since Born To Die came out, but I genuinely think this is one of most beautiful songs that I've ever heard from her. Not only is the overall arrangement out of this world, but the thing that really attracts me in this song is the nostalgic feel about it, especially in the hook, where you can notice that she raises the key a little bit. It's like she's stripping away from that Lana Del Rey persona (not too much, since I do believe she took a lot of her real life traits to create Lana Del Rey, its definitely not completely fake), who's interested in older men, and is very depressed and sad about the current state of the world and her life in general, to a more hopeful and happy individual. You can even hear this change in Lust For Life actually ("Out of the black, into the blue" - Get Free), but I do feel like she decided to fully embrace her real self in here and Mariners Apartment Complex. It's like she's allowing a more mature Lizzy Grant to come out, and I love that. It's definitely not your regular 3 minute pop song with 2 or 3 verses and a catchy hook, and I get that some people might find 9 minutes to be a little too much, but I honestly think that as long as someone isn't brainwashed into only listening radio stuff, and allows themselves to dive into different types of stuff, the length of a song shouldn't have that much importance, so I'd encourage anyone to give this a listen regardless.

• (@) vivalospride
  • Song: Lil Wayne - Mona Lisa
  • Genre: Hip Hop
  • Description: I've been waiting for this album for like the past 5 years of my life and I think it was worth it. I love this project and this song has been teased on leaked tracklists n shit for eons now and it was 100% worth it. Kendrick and Wayne both lose their minds on this record.

• (@) Amingo
  • Song: Night Verses - Infinity Beach
  • Genre: Instrumental, progressive rock
  • Description: peaceful.

I'm seeing that we've Stoner Metal but not Stoner Rock so here I'm (as well as some other rock/metal tracks; sorry if I repeat)

• - Joyverse

• Song: Vektor - Black Future
  • Genre: Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal, Technical Thrash, Metal
  • Description: Gets screamy but this is a good show of instrumental virtuosity; trust fam.

• Song: Atheist - Piece of Time
  • Genre: Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Progressive Death Metal, Progressive Metal, Metal
  • Description: Godly guitars and bass and a demonic drummer. Welcome to some fun music.

• Song: Muse - Muscle Museum
  • Genre: Art Rock, Alternative Rock
  • Description: A gem from Muse's first album

Last edited:

vivalospride

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Theme: Remixes

• (#) Arrested
  • Song: Kyla La Grange - Cut Your Teeth (Kygo Remix)
  • Genre: Alternative/Indie/Dance
  • Description: I absolutely love this song, I heard this remix some time ago and I just recently re-discovered the song and it is such a feel good song, it always brings a smile to my face while listening to it, and I recommend it to anyone!

• (@) 1Surgeon (Surgeon)
  • Song: Mariah Carey - Fantasy (Remix) ft. ODB
  • Genre: Pop/Hip Hop
  • Description: This is, not only, one of the best songs of the 90s (in my very humble and unbiased opinion obviously), but also one of the most influential and important tracks in modern music's history, being the first song to feature both a popstar and a rapper, creating a huge trend for years to come, especially in our day and age where it's practically a standard in mainstream music. Mariah and ODB were at the top of their game at the time, she already had a multitude of hits across the globe, sold millions of records at the time, and was already being recognized as one of the greatest vocalists of all time, while Wu-Tang had already released the best and most influential hip hop album at the time couple years back too. A lot of people seem to forget that Mariah is not just about Christmas, she actually played a huge part in how the music industry is shaped nowadays, from her amazing vocal abilities who inspired many singers like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber, just to name a few, and even inspired the creation of talent shows that tried to find another version of herself (see: American Idol, X Factor, etc), to her extremely rebellious ideas at the time (she was also one of the first female artists to try to create a label of her own, escaping from her own controlling and repressing label - Sony, and is credited for helping to make, not only hip hop, but also rnb part of mainstream music, which wasn't even thought about in the early 90s). This collaboration between these two music icons created a movement that is still present today, and that should never be forgotten. (viv note: RIP ODB)

• (%) Rageeeee
  • Song: Wu-Tang Clan - Hood Go Bang! (remix) feat. Redman, Method Man, Raekwon, U-God & Mathematics
  • Genre: Hip Hop/Rap
  • Description: the wu still coming through, off their 2017 album

• (@) the being formally known as roviet sussia (rovietsussia)
  • Song: nine inch nails - wish (remixed by j.g. thrilwell)
  • Genre: industrial

Be sure to gz Dylas on getting % btw owo

I was biding my time so as to not make it look like a double-post e_e) (s/o Losprideviva)

- (supremeoverlord) Joyverse

• Song: Iced Earth - God of Thunder
  • Genre: Heavy Metal, Cover
  • Description: Originally by KISS, Iced Earth has some solid ass covers but the reason I chose God of Thunder was that they took in something good and made it waaay better. Also, adding to the remix theme from above.

• Song: Slayer - Crionics
  • Genre: FUCKING SLAYER, Thrash Metal
  • Description: Underrated pick from their first album. What's more intriguing is they have riff very akin to one from Rush's 2112 Overture.

• Song: Dream Theather - The Dance of Eternity / (live performance)
  • Genre: Progressive Metal, Instrumental
  • Description: *ahem* Since we were on the topic of Rush, I decided not to link Rush; rather I linked Dream Theater. It's a fun song and you should definitely see the live link I put up showing all their efforts going in.

• Song: Opeth - Demon of the Fall
  • Genre: Technical Death Metal
  • Description: I'm one of those people who got saddened by the fact that Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth's frontman) dropped his deathly growls for mellower vocals; his mixing of the two was a fun thing to have. And, now I'm glad I haven't dropped these dudes away for eternity cuz this live video rocks!

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 2.49.56 PM.png

• Song: Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules
  • Genre: Heavy Metal
  • Description: Solid piece of work from the Dio era of Black Sabbath. A must-listen for anyone looking to get into metal.

vivalospride

• (%) icazah (HaroldIcaza)
  • Song: KKB - Only Acting
  • Genre: Synthpop
  • Description: favourite song of KKB latest album and also the best of their EP of the same name, a different twist to kkb bubblegum pop that turned out to be a success, Sarah voice mixes really well into what KKB early projects used to be.

• (@) 1Surgeon (Surgeon)
  • Song: Madonna - Love Profussion
  • Genre: Electronic/Folk
  • Description: Out of all the Madonna records I've listened to, American Life is probably the one that most fascinates me, because not only is the sound incredibly ahead of its time (simple guitar chords under a high-tempo electronic beat, and a relatively unexplored kind of production style - the glitch edit), but also the overall theme and lyrical content goes against most literally everything her image stood up to in the 80s/90s. American Life is extremely sarcastic, in the way that it pokes fun at people for judging her and believing that they know who the real Madonna is based on her actions "on-stage". It's also a political and a religious statement, and talks about how empty and meaningless the so called "American Dream" and the overall American culture really is. In her mind, the best person to point out how all of the things that American culture is so obsessed about (money, fame, recognition, power etc) means nothing to a person's path to real happiness is someone who has all of these things, someone who is at the actual top of their industry, the best of the best, but still has never been truly happy, not because of those materialistic and narcissistic desires, at least. Each song talks about a very specific subject, but Love Profusion is the one that resonates the most with me, because it's about the never-ending nothingness of this life, and how almost everything we do will eventually fade into obscurity and insignificance. It's like she's saying that she is the actual personification of how much of a failure and a lie the "American Dream" is, and this is especially evident in the hook ("I got you under my skin"). However, despite all of this, she found out one thing in all of this negative energy and confusion, someone that makes her feel good, alive, and truly happy - her then husband Guy Ritchie, the person this song is dedicated to. It's a very loving and heartfelt message, masked by a huge cloud full with adversity, and that's what makes it one of my favorite all-around Madonna tracks.

• (@) vivalospride
  • Song: T.I. - Seasons
  • Description: This album is pretty dope, I especially like Dave Chappelle's involvement in it. Either way this is a super hard intro, when the drums come in at the end it's amazing.

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It is time for our next round of song recommendations! The theme for this week is covers.

• (@) 1Surgeon (Surgeon)
  • Song: Tina Turner - Let's Stay Together (Al Green Cover)
  • Genre: Soul/R&B
  • Description: Al Green's version is pretty incredible, and undeniably iconic, but I think Tina's take on it is much more up my alley. Her aggressive and soulful vocals are very captivating and addicting, and make the climax much more enjoyable to listen to in my opinion, from all that build up created. She was also able to make it much more danceable without taking away the essence of the song, which is just an added bonus to her and her production team's musical creativity (s/o to Martyn Ware and Nick Plytas for the use of the electronic drums and synthesizer, respectively!). This song also means a lot to Tina's career, being the first solo single after her divorce to Ike Turner, and the start of her musical comeback. Her 5x platinum critically acclaimed album 'Private Dancer' was released soon after, and sold well over 20 million records worldwide, earned her four Grammy awards, and allowed her to score multiple top10 hits across the globe as a solo artist, including the 1# single What's Love Got To Do With It, and the top10 hits 'Private Dancer' and 'Better Be Good To Me'.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Lana Del Rey - Heart Shaped Box (Nirvana Cover)
  • Genre: Grunge
  • Description: What can Lana not do? Her voice works really well in this slower song by Nirvana, and she puts her own signature spin on how she covers it, which makes it better than the original for me.

vivalospride

• (@) 1Surgeon (Surgeon)
  • Song: Paramore - Fake Happy
  • Genre: New Wave
  • Description: Probably my favorite from 'After Laughter', as it's incredibly relatable, and I feel like it sums up the entire aesthetic and overall concept that the album was going for in the first place - somber lyrics hiding behind a very high-tempo and energetic sound. That whole concept is just very interesting to me, because it describes today's society perfectly. We're constantly putting on filters all the time in our day-to-day life, in order to hide our truthful feelings, often times without even noticing it, since it has become an habit of sorts, but the album, and this song in particular, delves into that issue really well. This entire irony surrounding glorifying everyone's unhappiness, and using it as something that connects all of us, and brings us together as human beings is the most appealing characteristic of this entire project for me, which is why I love this particular song so much. (viv edit: this is a pretty pathetic word count here from surg, really disappointing)

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Ella Mai - Gut Feeling (feat. H.E.R.)
  • Genre: R&B
  • Description: Ella Mai is great! She takes me back to more classic R&B. I love how she expresses herself, and I am currently obsessed with her album. Would recommend.

• (@) vivalospride
  • Song: Kid Trunks - 777
  • Description: Kid Trunks opened for Denzel Curry last night and played this song that I almost forgot about off of Members Only, Vol. 3. Amazing u_u.

vivalospride

Theme: Music groups/bands

• (%) Rageeeee
  • Song: Wu-Tang Clan - Reunited
  • Genre: Hip Hop/Rap
  • Description: How can hip hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever? this song features GZA, Ol' Dirty Bastard, RZA and Method Man of the 9

• (@) Surgeon
  • Song: Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
  • Genre: Rock
  • Description: My favorite from Rumours for a number of a reasons, but primarily because of the brilliant writing. The amount of metaphors that Stevie uses just makes the song very intricate and interesting to analyze and look at, since there're a million interpretations you can get from almost every single verse. The chorus stands out the most to me, because it's literally telling the story of an entire relationship within like four lines, starting out with the metaphor 'Thunder only happens when it's raining', basically saying that a fight or even an actual break up will only happen if there is already a bad environment between the two, generally speaking (probably referring to the lover's infidelity). The instrumentals are also very soothing and calm, yet impactful, and they don't overshadow Stevie's vocals at any given point, not even during the climax, which makes it even easier to digest the lyrics.

• (@) Paradise
  • Song: Run The Jewels - Don't Get Captured
  • Genre: Hip-hop

• (@) ImmaFirinMahLazer
  • Song: Jonas Brothers - Lovebug
  • Genre: Pop
  • Description: <3

vivalospride

• (@) Surgeon
  • Song: SZA - Go Gina
  • Description: Go Gina is on my top3 from CTRL, Supermodel and Prom being the other ones. Lyrically speaking, the song talks about someone with very low self-esteem, who is very anxious and uptight ('them jeans, they must be uptight mama'). SZA then divides the song into two parts, focusing on this person's anxiousness and overall lack of confidence in the first part ('Damn Gina') and then she decides to talk about why it's ok to be nonchalant in general sometimes, and forget about what other's think and have to say about you and how you live your life, since that's something that should only concern you. It's as if she's endorsing that character, Gina, and considers that all the uptightness and seriousness that she used to live with was what was blocking her from living her life and being happy, so she encourages herself to let go of all of that negative energy in order to set herself free, like 'Go Gina'. She wrote this herself too, which makes me believe that it was very likely written on a more personal perspective.

• (%) icazah (HaroldIcaza)
  • Song: Ayumi Hamasaki - aeternal
  • Genre: JPop
  • Description: im a weeb(@)

• (@) StarBlim
  • Song: Jacob Lee - Nevermind
  • Genre: indie pop

• (@) rovietsussia
  • Song: xasthur - the eerie bliss of torture (and solitude)
  • Genre: black metal, sadboy-core :'(
  • Description: this is from the split that xasthur did with leviathan, two of the biggest united states black metal projects. usually i think splits are pretty stupid, because artists most of the time arent going to use their best work on an album that theyre splitting with someone else, but rather they save their best material for their own albums, but xasthur and leviathan's styles compliment each other pretty well, so if you want an example of a split not being a complete waste of time, this is a neat album to check out

Last edited:

vivalospride

Theme: 2018 releases

• (%) MDM
  • Song: Dire Peril - Blood in the Ice
  • Genre: Power/Thrash Metal
  • Description: A cool project from John Yelland of Judicator and Jason Ashcraft of Helion Prime, two of the best power metal bands currently around. The Extraterrestrial Compendium is a contender for AOTY imo.

• (%) ham (HamSandwich335)
  • Song: Hunter - Siedem
  • Genre: Heavy/Thrash metal
  • Description: fuck NBBMN also the title means Seven in Polish and is Medeis (the album name) backwards which is an anagram of "Demise".

• (@) Surgeon
  • Song: Mariah Carey - Giving Me Life (feat. Slick Rick & Blood Orange)
  • Description: Queen of music is back ! This is most definitely, not only one of my favorite songs on the new album, but also just one of my favorite songs that she's done in a while. If I'm being completely honest, this and Portrait touch Butterfly quality - the incredibly unique and obscure sound, talented and underrated features, incredibly descriptive self-written lyrics, the way she uses every single part of her voice, from top to bottom (obviously), and the multiple textures through the entire song. This last point is really what captivated me the most, because the song starts with such a dark and mellow beat, using a sample from Crazy Town's Butterfly (not to be mistaken with her '97 album of the same name) and this person's monologue, who's probably trying to get back with their lover, and then it uses this spanish guitar that's trying to reproduce the beat and this second monologue, which I'm still trying to figure out what it means (although the GTFO reference was incredible), into this ethereal, almost angelic vocals, where she uses a completely different arrangement for the chorus to end the song. Everything just connects if you think about it, she goes from trying to, I wouldn't say forgive this guy, but maybe forget whatever he did to her, and just dive into this careless and absent-minded mental state, reminiscing of her times when she was younger and in love (hence the Marilyn Monroe and Barbra Streisand's Evergreen references, that both represent ethereal and intangible love and careless thinking - "thinkin' 'bout when we were seventeen / feelin' myself like I'm Norma Jeane" and "thinkin' 'bout when we were seventeen / livin' like babs and it's evergreen"), and you can tell that as the song progresses, she's going higher and higher with her voice, starting with some very strong and dark 3rd octave notes, and finishing it off with the unspeakably beautiful whistles (5 octaves still intact in 2018, despite the nodules continuously damaging her voice through the years btw). If I had to pinpoint a specific song that immediately came to mind when I first head this, it would probably be The Roof, one of the best songs on her 1997 magnum opus. Although the song's themes are somewhat different, they're both essentially talking about reminiscing old times (Giving Me Life is done in a much more positive light, while The Roof was coming from a place of melancholy). Incredible how she's still credited as a main writer, producer, and vocalist on every single song as well, just goes to show that she still takes her craft and artistry incredibly seriously, and is only interested in making music she and her fans would be proud of. The song itself is probably a 9.5/10 for me, the only reason it ain't a 10 is because I think the climax could've hit a little harder, maybe with if she added another instrument or two, but that doesn't take away the geniality behind the song's creation. Anyways, be sure to listen to Caution if you have time to spare, don't be bleak ! sue me

vivalospride

• (@) vivalospride
  • Song: Denzel Curry - Zenith
  • Description: I've been listening to this song semi-consistently ever since Imperial first dropped. Still fire to me.

vivalospride

Theme: Shit we don't normally listen to

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
  • Genre: Folk
  • Description: A beautiful and minimalistic song that talks about the perpetuation of poverty and how the narrator gets trapped within it herself. I think that it's still very contemporary in its message despite its age, and that's what truly makes it great.

• (@) vivalospride
  • Song: The Heavy - Short Change Hero
  • Genre: Blues Rock or some shit idk
  • Description: Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite video games of all time and I NEVER skipped the intro because of how fire I thought this song was, it's stuck with me this whole time even if I don't listen to it much anymore. It still makes me smile every time tho, brings back a lot of memories.

• PS! Username: Lyd
  • Song: Marcioz - INTERSTELLAR!
  • Genre: Future Bass
  • Description: Marcioz is a genius when it comes to making music, and this track is no exception. The brazillian creates an ominous ambience with subtle vocals, only to surprise the listener with a baffling drop. It makes use of brief stops of the main saw in order to create a strong syncopation and then manages to connect it back to song’s more ambient section with a soothing bridge. Marcioz’s ability to seamlessly pack a punch with such a strong drop while having a near-nonexistent buildup is something really extraordinary. This song really takes you places and I think it almost portrays the ups and downs an interstellar travel would pack; be it in the strong rhythmic syncopation or the alternating feels the song gives with surprisingly abrupt transitions. Truly a masterpiece in my book.

Last edited:

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
  • PS! Username: Clouds
  • Song: Elohim - Hallucinating
  • Genre: Indie/EDM
  • Description: As a producer, Elohim is more known for one of her other works, but this one is my personal favorite and seemed to fly under the radar when it was released in 2016. Even though the song later became the titular song for the album, it still didn't gain near as much popularity as Sleepy Eyes. The song runs several synth layers from the start, getting progressively lighter until the chorus when the bass is back in full form. Most electronic sounds in the song were made using the Arturia ARP 2600, and about halfway through the song, it picks up the mariachi style which is something most producers in the genre don't really consider. Bold and gold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)