RoA Leader
Studio Song Recommendations!
Best of 2022 edition!
Better late than never!

Room Owners

:espeon: Rage :espeon:
song: Mitski - Stay Soft
Genre: Pop
Description: The latest Mitski album was a bit of a letdown, but this song stood out to me and is worth revisiting!
(will do a post with best of 2022 metal later)

:chespin:
skies :chespin:
Song: Pure/Honey
Genre: House, Disco, Dance
Description: bad bitches... to the left...

Room Moderators

:haxorus: Elliot :haxorus:
Song: Kill Your Sons Demo
Genre: Rock
Description: Technically a song from 1971 but only released in 2022 ! Easily my favourite release of the year, a very damning / emotional anti-war song.

:armaldo: Links :armaldo:
Song:
JID - Just In Time ft. Lil Wayne and Kenny Mason
Genre: Rap
Description: JID's new album was definitely my favorite release this year, and this song is definitely one of the standouts imo. JID's lyricism and flow on this track are absolutely phenomenal, Lil Wayne gives one of his best features in a while, and Kenny Mason provides a simple but great chorus that really helps tie the track together.

:quagsire:
GotaLoveYaoi :quagsire:
Song: MIKE - What Do I Do?
Genre: Abstract Hip Hop
Description: I don't remember the prompt but if it's song of the year then yes this is my song of the year, insane production come let yourself get wrapped up in this warm beat

:greedent:
za :greedent:
Song:
Ne Obliviscaris - Equus
Genre: Extreme Prog Metal
Description: Is good

:sandshrew:
Raihan Kibana :sandshrew:
Song:
Aurora - The Innocent
Description: Cure For Me was a great dance track and this one tops it in p much every way

Room Drivers

:mantine: Venous :mantine:
Song: Black Country, New Road - Basketball Shoes
Genre: Art Rock
Description: This song is simply genre-defining. There is no better, more cathartic for the ending of this incredible album, cementing it, in my opinion, as BCNR's magnum opus.

:porygon-z: BT89 :porygon-z:
weyes blood - god turn me into a flower
genre: new age
description: one of the most ethereal experiences i have ever had with a song. perfect lyrics, gorgeous instrumentals, impossibly beautiful vocals.
Room Voices/Global friends

:rowlet: tomatopeeler :rowlet:
Song: Westside Gunn - Switches On Everything (feat. Run The Jewels & Stove God Cooks)
Genre: Hip Hop
Description: They popped off - that's all.

:cherrim: coronal :cherrim:
Song: Wiki, Subjxct 5 - One More Chance (ft. Navy Blue)
Genre: Abstract Hip Hop
Description: Man I'm a sucker for a good Wiki and Navy Blue collab

:noctowl: noct :noctowl:
song: lcd soundsystem - new body rhumba
genre: dance-punk, electronica, indie rock
description: lcd soundsystem hits us with their first project since 2017's "american dream", and its a song from the new movie white noise. its a mixture of all the sounds that they've ever done, from the dance-punky vibe and nancy's backing vocals from the debut, the earnestness and maturity from american dream, danceability and electronic experimentation from this is happening, and the sheer jubilation and explosion into a incredibly moving ending from sound of silver. its a near perfect song and was worth the wait (for me).

:shuckle: mdm :shuckle:
Song: Empress - Chimera
Genre: Progressive/Symphonic Power Metal
Description: Absolute killer USPM. In a year with sadly not too much stand out power metal, Empress have stood much higher than all the rest (except MAYBE Dragonland) and released a truly incredible album that rivals some of the all time classics

:bewear: Briewear :bewear:
Song: Jessie Ware - Free Yourself
Description: From start to finish this song is amazing, great introduction into the song, great beat, and great vocals with strong instrumentation. So easy to dance as well, highly recommend. Definitely my favourite this year

:pyroar: Pyro :pyroar:
Song: Danger Mouse & Black Thought ft. A$AP Rocky and Run the Jewels - Strangers
Description: A collaboration I didn't know I needed between Black Thought and RTJ, godlike verses from each alongside one of A$AP's best performances to date. Haven't been able to stop playing it ever since it dropped.

:pichu: namda :pichu:
Song: Kenshi Yonezu - KICKBACK
Description: Kenshi releases yet another MASTERPIECE - every single part of this song for me is so fun to listen to! from the SCRUMPTIOUS bassline to the GORGEOUS orchestral break in the middle - i just love all of it. definitely my song of the year !!! :D

:dragonite: Buffy :dragonite:
Song: Tove Lo - Grapefruit
Description: Absolutely floored by the quality of this song. Powerful song about body dysmorphophobia that also has a great beat and flow to it. Side note: Hot Girl (bodies bodies bodies) by Charli XCX and Little League by Wallice are very close runners up. Hot Girl is probably the most fun song of the year, with a great beat and Little League is extremely strong lyrically. Grapefruit combines both of these in one though, which gave it the edge for me.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Song: Hold the Girl - Rina Sawayama
Description: The girls are being HELD. This was the 3rd single from her album and after two somewhat disappointing songs bc they were going in a direction that wasn't really in line with her style, this song was a good refresher of what she's capable of and is still probably my favorite on the album (though Holy through Frankenstein are all BOPS) the way the song builds is phenomenal and even though it's over 4 minutes feels really short

Song: Ptolomea - Ethel Cain
Genre: idk but it's scary
Description: Creepiest song I've heard possibly ever, the whole Preacher's Daughter album is a story if you haven't listened to it yet, spoilers but she gets cannibalized and this song is the breaking point of the album where she gets murdered and it's so skin crawly sounding and the SCREAM at the end... actual art

Song: Heart on Fire - Little Simz
Description: Simz dropping a surprise album at the end of the year was a blessing none of us deserved... this song was probably my favorite or Silhouette, both are amazing but some songs did feel like leftovers from SIMBI (not that that's bad, everything in the album except Sideways was good). Also highly highly recommend the visualizer for the whole album

Song: Belize - Danger Mouse & Black Thought feat. MF DOOM
Description: Really great rap song from really great rappers... rip DOOM. Aquamarine was an another amazing song from this album, also the exoskeleton line in this song hits so hard

Song: Eat Men Eat - black midi
Genre: Avant-prog
Description: Eat Men Eat is another fun song and black midi always has the most interesting and different sounds that i just enjoy

Song: papi bones - FKA twigs (feat. Shygirl)
Genre: Dance
Description: fun song, twigs album was definitely fun but it's hard not to miss that Magdalene sound sometimes

i dont wanna post a million songs so i'll just shoutout Atopos - Bjork, Sistanem - JID, Bikini Bottom - Ice Spice, and Nosedive - Hatchie

My top five pick's of 2022, which is the year i ironically got really into music.

Number five is Find Your Flame by the people at SEGA, aka SEGA and Tomoya Ohtani, Find Your Flame, aside from all the Find Your Flame Status memes, is really good, i really love the part at 0:51, (of course, i mean, why else do you think it's status'd, a lot?) nothing else special about it, just your everyday banger super sonic theme.

Number four, about 11 normal step's above Find Your Flame, is I Am... All Of Me by Victor McKnight alongside Noah McKnight & Penny Parker, (Also shout out's to Noah and Penny, since they voiced most of the lyric's i think, not too sure though, but still, shout out's to them.) it actually really feels like a Crush 40 song, which is what i especially love about this song, really sticks to the style of Crush 40, while also adding some flair and "edginess" to it to make it feel a bit like Shadow, but i mean, isn't obvious they would make it feel like Shadow, since it's a song about Shadow, from a video ABOUT Shadow the Hedgehog? (Fun yet extremely long fact cause i mentioned two people who are funny fact: This song was actually made for the Real-Time Fandub of Shadow the Hedgehog by SnapCube, also also go check them out, they have a bunch of other sonic dubs, including the Sonic Adventure 2 Fandub, where Eggman pisses on the moon, who is voiced by PaperBoxHouse, or just Alfred, i haven't watched his stuff, except this one right here
, but he is really dang funny, and keeps it cool even when he says the funniest out of pocket stuff ever in the history of the human race EVER.)

Number three is KICK BACK by Kenshi Yonezu, a really really good song, nothing too special, just a really, really good song, and if you ask, no, the next two aren't gonna be also anime opening's.

Number dos is Big Dumb Idiot by Tom Cardy, it has really good lyrics, and, uh, i just put this here cause it's unironically a really really really good song, don't know why, but ye, mhm, kapeesh, okie dokie, uh, y e a h .

Now we are gonna back track and look at the top 3 2021 songs, but not lengthy.

Number three is H.Y.C.Y.BH by Tom Cardy again, if i could, i would place this in number 3 or 5 of 2022, but i don't know if i can put in songs that are from the past.

Number two is Meta Knight's Revenge by The 8-Bit Big Band, There is a reason why this won a Grammy Award for Best Arrangement, i would place this in number 2 of 2022, since this is so good.

And number one of 2021 is The Noble Demon's 02 Battle (From "Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards"), i would without a doubt place this in number one of 2022, heck, even number one of ANY year, this is just, so good, really capture's the eeriness and urgency of the fight with 02, and the climax (don't take this out of context.) at 1:47 is just the definition of threatening and eerie, the whole song really fit's for something as powerful and disturbing as 02, this is a master piece of his. *Chef's Kiss*

And now that we are done with the top 3 of 2021, let's look at the number uno spot of 2022, which is C-R-O-W-N-E-D (From “Kirby's Return to Dream Land”) (Cover) by yet again The Noble Demon, this is the "best of the best", in my 3 drunk baby's in a trench coat opinion, really gives me the "final boss of all final bosses" feeling though i would give that kind of feeling to DBS Broly's theme in Dragon Ball FighterZ, also kirby final boss theme's are the best and you can't change my mind.

That's the whole list, even though my taste in music is probably garbage and i'm a Big Dumb Idiot who doesn't know anything about Debussy or anyone who is actually good at all in most people's opinion, people who like Ariana Grande, or That Kid Laroi, anyone else who makes music that has collabed with fortnite, besides the funny build fort game that people sweat in to win 10,000,000$, Mozart, AC/DC, Lovejoy, (i actually like Lovejoy's music.) or Gorillaz, i should stop now and just say see ya, which i did, so see ya, soon, probably.

Song: Rob Zombie - Dragula
Link:
Genre: Rock/Metal
Description: A Rob Zomebie song featured in the PS1 video game Twisted Metal 4, which also includes a driver character based on the artist who is named Mr. Zombie and drives the titular vehicle in the game.
dragula.png

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
February Recs
1678256964177.png

-=-Room Owners-=-

:jigglypuff: Fame :jigglypuff:
Song: Ashanti - Foolish
Genre: RNB
Description: and though my heart cant take no more, i keep on running back to you ^_^

song: Dua Lipa - Break My heart
Description: Future Nostalgia on some goated shit fr fr

:chespin: skies :chespin:
Song: SOPHIE - JUST LIKE WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE
Genre: electronic, pop, experimental
Description: and it makes me feel and it makes feel and it makes me feel

:typhlosion: Elliot :typhlosion:
Song: Talking Heads - Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town
Genre: New Wave

-=-Room Moderators-=-

:sandshrew: Tenshi :sandshrew:
Song: Hikaru Utada - Play Ball
Genre: Jpop

:greedent: Za :greedent:
Song: Troy Bolton and Gabriella Montez - Breaking Free
Description: hard

-=-Room Drivers-=-

:shiftry: BT89 :shiftry:
Song: The Beatles - The Word
Genre: Psychedelic Rock
Description: extremely memorable and vibrant song from an otherwise super chill album

:slowking: Zipzapadam :slowking:
Song: Taylor Swift - Love Story
Genre: Country Pop
Description: Romeo take me, somewhere we can be alone :pleading:

-=-Room Voices/Alumni-=-

Song: BoA - L.O.V.E
Genre: K-Pop, Dance-Pop
Description: Great bop from BoA, listened to it on repeat quite a bit somewhat recently.

Song: Tove Lo - Suburbia
Genre: Pop, Electronic
Description: Another banger and emotional ride from Tove on her Magnus Opus from 2022

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Song: Rufus (feat. Chaka Khan) | Sweet Thing
Genre: Funk/R&B
Description: Starting out with one of my favs, this song is a really smooth song and Chaka Khan kills it on the vocals, her voice is like silk and so powerful x) quintessential love song for me, play it nonstop around this time of year
Gotta call on this one again it's my go to valentine's song

Song: Rina Sawayama | Valentine (What's It Gonna Be)
Description: What's an ith post without Rina? A bit on the nose for Valentine's, you can really tell this is an older Rina song with the r&b and electronic inspirations

Song: Rina Sawayama | Through the Wire (Interlude)
Genre: Pop/R&B
Description: What's an ith post without Rina?? For an interlude, this song is super beautiful and captures the feeling of isolation in long distance relationships/post breakup. One of her most underrated songs imo

Song: DRAM (feat. SZA) | Caretaker
Genre: R&B
Description: Big fan of DRAM bc local, this song has been on my playlists for like 6 years now and was my first introduction to SZA. Not a huge fan of the message on the song but they sound great

Rage

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
RoA Leader
Some metal songs about love:

Song: Judas Priest - Love Bites
Genre: Heavy Metal
Description: about vampires and seduction, was the precursor to their glam album Turbo

Song: Rainbow - Since You Been Gone
Description: Rainbow post-Dio, but with an absolute bop that was also their highest charting single, this song about the writer's lover leaving him is a tale old as time itself

Song: Woods of Ypres - ..And I Am Pining (For You)
Genre: Doom Metal/Black Metal
Description: Off of Woods 4: the Green Album. This song is about frontman David Gold's trip to Korea, and how everywhere he goes he's reminded of a lost love.

Song: Woods of Ypres - Silver
Genre: Doom Metal/Rock
Description: Off of Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light. Another song about a harsh break up David had. Rest in Peace.

not metal but have to include these too:

Song: Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box
Genre: Grunge
Description: Pretty sure we all know the story by now, but a song Kurt wrote while living with Courtney still. Actual theme is a bit darker but can be a love song too.

Song: Mitski - First Love / Late Spring
Description: An exceptionally beautiful song, this track is the one that got me into Mitski originally!

Song: Weyes Blood - Everyday
Description: Another gorgeous song, Titanic Rising was insane

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
March Recs
This month's theme are just the songs we've been bopping to lately :>

(sorry mashpotato overslept)

-=-Room Owners-=-

Song: Pharrell feat. Jay-Z - Frontin'
Description: Pharrell production never disappoints...so smooth and so groovy...

Song: Deicide - Dead But Dreaming
Genre: Death Metal
Description: one of the peaks of old school death metal was this song in my opinion. Possibly puts Legion above Deicide for me, hard to say.

Song: Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
Genre: Hard Rock / Nu-Metal
Description: Rally 'round the family, with a pocket full of a shells

-=-Room Moderators-=-

Song: Jeff Buckley - Forget Her
Genre: Alternative Rock
Description: one of the most passionate performances ever put onto record

song: Birdy - Raincatchers
Genre: Indie pop
Description: idt Birdy has ever leaned into her Kate Bush + Florence influence as hard as this track but I am thrilled for the album in July because this is absolutely my fav song of the year so far (update I'm still fucking obsessed with it)

song: Imogen Heap - Clear the Area
Genre: Electropop
Description: fuk u I get two ahahahahahahaha (stan imogen she's amazing)

-=-Room Drivers-=-

:natu: Clouds :natu:
Song: Mot - Perfect Dream
Genre: Korean Rock/Alt
Description: My top track off of Ashcraft, one of this underrated group's two most mystifying albums.

-=-Room Voices/Alumni-=-

Song: KWON EUN BI - Glitch
Genre: K-Pop, Dance-Pop
Description: Catchy song through and through. She has such a pleasant voice and that makes for a pleasant listening experience along with the great electro instrumentals. Truly a great song!

Song: IOTUNN - Access All Worlds
Genre: Progressive Melodic Death Metal
Description: Just an incredible journey, and a beautifully crafted album overall. Went with the title song here, but the whole album is fantastic.

Song: Fujii Kaze - Shinunoga E-Wa
Genre: J-Pop
Description: Just a beautiful song. Fujii Kaze has an incredible voice and this song is addicting, I love it so much.

song: pixies - hey
genre: indie rock
description: heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy​

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
missed this somehow rip, gotta catch up

Song: Yaeji - For Granted
Genre: Glitch Pop/Electronic
Description: new Yaeji album was decent but a bit boring, but this song slaps super hard

Song: Portishead - Glory Box
Genre: Trip Hop
Description: GIVE ME A REASON... I've been getting a lot more into Trip Hop lately and Dummy is a quintessential album for that genre, actually so good

Song: bôa - Fool
Description: bôa is so goated and Twilight is an underrated album, super excited for their new music coming soon

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

April Song Recommendations
This month's theme was Earth Day

[# Room Owners]

Song: Woods of Ypres - Keeper of the Ledger
Genre: Black Metal, Doom Metal
Description: A song about balance in nature

[@ Room Moderators]
Song:
Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
Genre: Soul
Description: this song transports you to another dimension and makes u want to clean the ocean

:sandshrew:Tenshi :sandshrew:
Song: Aurora - The Seed
Description: In a place where nothing matters / Dancing around a shooting star / And every cell remembers what have taken us this far / I see images of killer whales / Sleeping in a desert trail / Dreaming of a parallel world where nothing ever hurts.

[% Room Drivers]
:staraptor: Clouds :staraptor:

Song: Perfume - love the world
Genre: J-Pop/Electropop
Description: it's all we have.

:shuckle:
mdm :shuckle:
Song: Thrawsunblat - In Mist We Walk
Genre: Melodic Black Metal
Description: Well since rage did WoY, guess I'll do Thrawsunblat then. Beautiful nature themed black metal, that was originally started as a side project of Joel Violette and David Gold.

Song:
diiv - blankenship
Genre: Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Alt-Rock
Description: as an aspiring ecologist, the earth and its health is a very important issue to me. this song is not a real big pick me up "kumbaya" track, but a scathing criticism of big oil and capitalistic greed, imploring the people who are disproportionately causing the earth harm to look to the future and imagine a world where nothing is alive other than our selfish desires. also it rips.

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]

Song: Famyne - Solid Earth
Genre: Doom Metal
Description: A song about the solid earth.

:cofagrigus: Melt Gibson :cofagrigus:
Song: Bring Me The Horizon - One Day the Only Butterflies Left Will Be in Your Chest as You March Towards Your Death [ft. Amy Lee]
Genre: Metalcore, Emo, Alt-Rock
Description: A powerful and somber ballad about the continued strain humanity has put onto the planet and the terrible end it will eventually lead to.

Here's Tenshi's April mashpotato:

1683092754918.png

Sidenote... PSPL is on the horizon, and we're running it back! Follow along and cheer for the best room if you're an ally.

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Song: DRAIN - White Coat Syndrome
Genre: Hardcore / Punk / Metal
Description: Probably my favorite off the album.

Song: Billy Boy On Poison - On My Way
Description: I swear I heard this song in a commercial or something back in the day.

Song: Hrvrd - On With Disease
Genre: Post-Hardcore / Rock
Description: They also went by Harvard previously.

Song: The Presidents of the United States of America - Tiki God
Genre: Alt-Rock?
Description: II is their best album.

Song: Choir Vandals - Primary Colors
Genre: Indie Rock / Punk / Emo?
Description: I don't know what the genre is.

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
porygon2may.gif

May Song Recommendations
This month's theme is Comfort Songs

[# Room Owners]

Song 1 (rap): Wu-Tang Clan - Da Mystery of Chessboxin'
Genre: Rap/Hip-Hop
Description: One of my all time favourite rap songs, always puts me in a better mood when I hear the Wu just slay this again and again

Song 2 (poppy): Mitski - First Love / Late Spring
Genre: Pop/Indie
Description: I've probably rec'd this in this thread before, but when it comes to comfort songs, Mitski is the queen and this song is just perfect

Song 3 (METAL): Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Genre: Melodic Death Metal
Description: and for metal have to include TotTG, one of the songs that got me into metal originally, it kicks all kinds of ass and always puts me in a great mood

[@ Room Moderators]
Song:
Julee Cruise - Mysteries of Love
Genre: Ambient Pop
Description: absolutely haunting, gentle, synth-covered, reverb-drenched ballad. it always puts me at ease regardless of the situation.

:volcarona: Peary :volcarona:
Song: KANKAN - Kickback
Genre: Rage
Description: One of my fav tracks of all time

Song: Carly Rae Jepsen - I Really Like You
Description: No song has ever consistently cheered me up and bopped as much as this one does, 2nd best carly song (2nd to run away with me) and always will be my go-to

:greedent: za :greedent:
Song: Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
Genre: Progressive Metal
Description: nothing can distract from the pain, but this song does its best

[% Room Drivers]

Song: Vaundy - 踊り子
Genre: J-Pop
Description: totally robbed this from OM a while back but it needs to be shared forward for anyone who hasn't heard it. cozy j-pop hit by one of the more talented artists in the scene.

Song: Elder - Spirit at Aphelion
Genre: Psychedelic Stoner Metal/Rock
Description: Not really much to say aside from just how relaxing and beautiful Lore is as an album, this is probably the most relaxing of the album.

Song: MGMT - When You Die
Genre: Synth Pop
Description: Eerie synths, slightly distorted Japanese string instruments, and chopped up laugh samples all add up to a fun jaunty track with sinister undertones. Definitely one of those songs you wanna scream in the car with the windows down.

Song:
angelo badalamenti - audrey's dance
Genre: Dark Jazz
Description: one of my favorite songs from my favorite show. feels like slow dancing in a serene dream. in the words of monica belucci in twin peaks: "we are like the dreamer who dreams, and lives inside the dream".

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]

Song: Dennis Sheperd - Limitless
Genre: Uplifting Trance
Description: Hot off one of the best albums of 2022, this track just has fantastic energy and inspires one to get up and get going on whatever needs to be done. Great comfort/motivation song and album as a whole and just so cleanly mastered.

Song 1: Walk The Moon - Shut Up and Dance
Genre: Pop rock, power pop, synth rock, alt rock (??) {source: google}
Description: Literally has been one of my go-to happy songs since my early-teen years it has such happy energy and vibes i love it sm i hope it can help anyone who's feeling down ^^

Song 2:
TWICE - The Feels
Genre: K-Pop, Dance, Electronic
Description: songs vibe just seems to really take my mind off whatevers going on and i end up just groovin out and chillin ^^

Here's Tenshi's May mashpotato:

1684636738204.png

We're returning to posting recommendations for each month at the start of the month in June, which is why you're seeing May's posted now. Expect June's recommendations in a couple of weeks or so!

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
My interpretation for May's theme of Comfort Songs are songs that I can play and close my eyes and lean back whilst listening to y'know? I may have too many recs...

Song: Peach Pit - Look Out!
Genre: Indie Pop
Description: First heard them with their album "Being So Normal", but I really like the Surf-y vibe from "From 2 to 3".

Song: Speak Low - Contrasting Colors
Genre: Indie Rock
Description: I love me some good acoustic.

Song: The Orchard - Goin' Back
Genre: Barn Rock
Description: Man I would love this EP if only "Watering Hole" wasn't there. No reason for that to be 6 minutes long. Ruins my whole mood...

Song: Worst Party Ever - Trying Soda ( I Know You so Well)
Genre: Indie Emo / Rock
Description: So I only learned about WPE because Atlas uploaded a song that used the same chords? as WPE's "Sub Bean Every Day" and people in the comments pointed it out.

Song: Coupons - Cars, Pt. 2
Genre: Alt Rock / Emo
Description: So I only like 8/14 songs from this album and I would suggest listening to "Number One Hit Album" if you wanna listen to more of them.

Song: Moxy Fruvous - Drinking Song/Good Night Irene
Genre: Folk-pop
Description: Too lazy to write the umlaut in their name.

Song: Daisybones - Lemondrop
Genre: Indie Rock
Description: Beautymark is probably my favorite song of theirs, but this one is more chill.

Song: Basement Beers - I Do Backflips Every Day Of My Life
Genre: Twinkly Emo
Description: I'm learning so much about genres...

Song: Mat Kerekes - Ruby
Genre: Alt / Indie
Description: Totally different vibe from Citizen.

Song: Moose Blood - Cherry
Genre: English Emo
Description: There are some allegations about the band that I just learned about while writing this section up, so that really put a damper on my night.

Rage

RoA Leader

porygon2may.gif

June Song Recommendations
This month's theme is Pride!

# Room Owners
Song: Vile Creature - You Who Has Never Slept
Genre: Sludge/Drone/Doom Metal
Description: super cool band

:chespin:skies :chespin:
song: SOPHIE — WHOLE NEW WORLD/PRETEND WORLD
genre: sophie
description: SOPHIE FOREVER

@ Room Moderators

Song: Thank You Scientist - FXMLDR
Genre: Progressive Rock/Jazz Fusion
Description: Good music

Song: Perfume Genius - Slip Away
Genre: Art Rock, Synthpop
Description: i think this guy is a genius at more than perfume. an ethereal, wall-of-sound-tinged, very gay ballad

Song: Zeph - Miss Me
Genre: Indie, Singer-Songwriter
Description: Depressed bi-core

Song: PVRIS - Dead Weight
Genre: Synth Pop, Alternative Rock
Description: for pride month, running it back three years to lynn gunn kickstarting a new era for pvris

% Room Drivers

Song: SeeYouSpaceCowboy - Self Help Specialist Ends Own Life
Genre: Metalcore
Description: QUEER METALCORE ON TOP BABYYYY

Song: Transgressive - Assimilation of Civilization
Genre: Thrash Metal
Description: I'll scream it louder for those all the way in the back: TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

song: the b52's - love shack
genre: new wave
description: camp

+ Room Voices

:regirock: berry :regirock:
Song: Gecs - 757
Genre: Hyperpop

:pancham: namda :pancham:
Song: Cavetown - Deviltown
Genre: alt, indie
Description: STAN CAVETOWN MY ICON <33333

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
June's Pride theme recs. I'm sure I have more, but these 3 were the first ones to come to mind. Maybe I'll edit more in later maybe not.

Song: Dazey and the Scouts - Sweet Cis Teen
Genre: Punk
Description: Title says it all.

Song: Ruby Rose Fox - Ms. America
Genre: Alt-Rock / Indie-Pop
Description: This song wasn't on their official channel and like no one uploaded it, so this is the best link on YouTube. If you want better quality, try something like Spotify, BandCamp, or buy the physical product.

Song: Screaming Females - Mourning Dove
Description: I was going to recommend "Ripe", but then I watched this live performance and figured lets go with this instead. "Mourning Dove" is the first song they play so I went with that for the song title.

I really liked these songs you posted. I think you might like this new duo idt has even been discovered yet. They are like rnb/hip-hip/pop.

You know what I want for us
I don't have to explain it twice
You know you're my life
My world
For you I'd fight
And I'll Die for You
Ooooooo

Tears will fall
If I can't be with you again
With you again
Tears will fall If
I can't be with you again
Again x3
If we should fall
If we ever fall
I'd only try it with you
With you again, Again

I'd rather try x3
With you

You know what I want for us
I don't have to explain it twice, No
You know you're my life
My world
For you I'd fight
I'll Die for You( yes I'll die for you)
Ooooooo

Tears will fall
If I can't be with you again
With you again
Tears will fall If
I can't be with you again
Again x3
If we should fall
If we ever fall
I'd only try it with you
With you again, Again

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2july.gif

July Song Recommendations
This month's theme is One-Hit Wonders

[# Room Owners]

Song: Estelle - American Boy feat. Kanye West
Description: i heard that cali never rains

Song: Rainbow - Since You've Been Gone
Genre: Heavy Metal / Hard Rock
Description: while having many songs I’d consider a banger, Ritchie Blackmore couldn’t find commercial success so they yeeted Dio (wild with the power of hindsight), and with that they added Graham Bonnet in hopes they’d finally make a hit. They did, and this was the song, the only one to truly break into the mainstream for Rainbow. Catchy af

[@ Room Moderators]
Song:
Nena - 99 Luftballons
Genre: new wave/synth pop
Description: this is the catchiest song about world war 3

Song: NeonPunch (네온펀치) - Moonlight
Genre: kpop
Description: debut track and only hit from a group that existed for just two years before disbanding too soon

Song: Drowning Pool - Bodies
Genre: Nu-Metal
Description: Let the bodies hit floor, let the bodies hit floor, let the bodies hit floor, let the bodies hit FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

Song: Elle King - Ex's and Oh's
Genre: country/pop/alt rock
Description: icon

Song: Axel F - Crazy Frog
Genre: Electronic
Description: ring ding ding ding ding ding ring ding ding ding bem bem bem

[% Room Drivers]
Song:
white town - your woman
Genre: indie pop, electronica, alternative dance
Description: legit one of the greatest songs of all time. jyoti mishra put together such a catchy and the tune is far ahead of its time in both its production being from his home and being developed completely digitally. also features one of my absolute favorite lyrics of all time "so much for all your high-brow marxist ways, just use me up and then you walk away"

It appears the spotlight for Tenshi's July mashpotato was stolen by puma:
1688337575704.png

That's all, see you next month!

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2august.gif

August Song Recommendations
This month's theme is a more niche one: tracks that are written about or to represent an individual, whether real or fictitious

[@ Room Moderators]
Song:
Paul McCartney - Here Today
Genre: Baroque Pop
Description: song about lennon shortly following his assassination. i cry to this at least once a month

Song: Pokemon OR/AS - Zinnia's Sorrow
Genre: VGM
Description: could've done the obvious zinnia choice with her battle theme, but i wanted to put a spotlight on the underappreciated sorrow theme she also has. it uses several elements from the battle theme's melody, and it serves its purpose of setting the mood for the events it plays around in-game

Song:
Lena Raine - Confronting Myself (Celeste OST)
Genre: VGM
Description: Perfect track for basically a perfect boss battle. Chapter 6 may not be my overall favorite chapter of the game, but the boss fight with badeline is by far the single best moment in the entire game, more so than even the start/ending of Summit. 6 chapters worth of build up rewards you with a brilliant boss fight and some insanely tight platforming on top of the absolute BANGER of a song that plays for it. YOU ARE NOW THE BOSS AND NO LONGER RUNNING. BADELINE IS RUNNING FROM YOU

Song: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tearjerker
Description: Written about Kurt Cobain. They weren't lying about that title :(

Song:
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Genre: Glam Rock
Description: it's a classic idk what there else is to say about it that hasn't been reiterated by thousands upon thousands of people over the years. 10/10

Song:
Nobuo Uematsu - Celes's Theme
Genre: OST
Description: ok how do I describe an Uematsu track without it being an essay, PLAY FF6 ITS GOOD AND CELES IS A GREAT CHARACTEEEEERRRR

Song:
Gloryhammer - Keeper Of The Celestial Flame Of Abernethy
Genre: Power Metal
Description: Zargothrax

[% Room Drivers]
:pangoro: coronal :pangoro:
Song: Tropical Fuck Storm - Maria 63
Genre: Art Punk
Description: Magnificent and haunting climactic album closer about the fictional medium Maria Orsic

:rotom-heat: saiges :rotom-heat:
Song: avicii & nadia ali - rapture (riva remix)
Genre: Trance
Description: most perfect mix of the most iconic edm track ever <3 my fav

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
Song: Yugo Kanno - il vento d'oro
Genre: Anime, J-Pop, OST
Description: An absolutely iconic soundtrack made for Giorno from the popular anime "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure". Known throughout the anime community, this song is an absolute banger and is just so well made and honestly wayyyyyyyyy too catchy!

Tenshi's August mashpotato is taking to the seas to find lost treasure:

That's all for this month!

Rage

RoA Leader

porygon2august.gif

September Song Recommendations
This month's theme is significant songs, influence wise!

Alumni Room Owner

:chespin: skies ♪ :cacnea:
Song: SOPHIE – MSMSMSM
Genre: electronic, noise
Description: Something shifted... MSMSMSM is a piece of SOPHIE's "PRODUCT" and as a whole I'd say that entire project is incredibly influential to not only electronic music, but pop music as well. I don't really think MSMSMSM had much impact on pop music since it isn't pop, but it IS what I'd consider SOPHIE's literal signature in music form... like SOPHIE's label was called MSMSMSM. One of my favorite songs ever, one of SOPHIE's best songs, and definitely one of the key pieces that started a movement. :)

Room Owners

Song: Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Description: Pretty easy one for me, the arguable first heavy metal song, by the arguable first heavy metal band, off the arguable first heavy metal album. I also love that it's Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath off of Black Sabbth lol. For real though, this kicked off a movement that is still going strong 50 some years later with countless spinoffs and subgenres, in early 1970 when it was released, people probably didn't realize Ozzy and Iommi were going to become the godfathers of metal music.

:clefairy: Fame :clefairy:
Song: Robin S - Show Me Love
Genre: House
Description: Iconic club song, super influential !

Room Moderators
song: the velvet underground - sister ray
genre: noise rock, experimental rock
description: i honestly probably could've put any velvet underground song becuase of how influential they are but sister ray is the ultimate example for the first real beastly noise rock track. the distortion and the sheer lack of care for really any sort of musical conventions and hedonistic lyrics (for the time) pretty much laid the foundation for bands like the sonic youth/swans/unwound/big black to push the experimental/noise rock landscape even further

Song: Judas Priest - Painkiller
Genre: Heavy/Speed Metal
Description: I mean come on it's Painkiller idk what I need to say aside from the obligatory "fucking legendary". Still is and will always be one of the most impactful and important songs in the history of metal.

Song: Cattle Decapitation - Forced Gender Reassignment
Genre: Deathgrind
Description: is good

Song: Patti Smith - Gloria
Genre: Punk Rock
Description: One of the biggest pioneers of the new york punk scene

Song: Massive Attack - Teardrop
Genre: Trip-hop
Description: group that basically pioneered the genre along with a handful of others; a psychedelic spin on traditional hip-hop beats that's been soaked in an electronica bath. highly recommend listening to this sort of music when you want to shut off your brain and feel instead of think

Song: Lorde - Royals
Genre: Alt-Pop
Description: lorde's impact on mainstream pop cannot be understated. the smash success of this song and the album that followed was essential in the mainstream pop scene. the minimalistic sound, the lower tempo, the main focus being the realistic lyrics about the struggles and the fear of still being a teenager, and the overall dark aesthetic paved the way for many alternative pop artists and made the general pace of pop songs slower and their aesthetics darker. the unclear emotional beats throughout the song and the critiques of the pop lifestyle that was presented in other popular songs as well as the "whisper pop" helped bring artists like halsey, billie eilish, troye sivan, and selena gomez into the mainstream light. and she was only 16.

Room Driver

:slowking: ZipZapAdam :slowking:
Song: Kristin Chenoweth & Idina Menzel - Defying Gravity
Genre: Broadway / Show Tunes
Description: Wicked is ubdoubtedly one of the most important musicials for modern day broadway, with an iconic closing song for Act I. A showstopping number preformed by two greats.

Room Voices

:hoppip: Sificon :hoppip:
Song: Starships - Nicki Minaj
Genre: Electropop/Dancepop
Description: We all know this classic, I think it was a really good kickstarter for an amazing era of Electro Pop and Dance Pop songs. There also exists a Wikipedia article about just this song so nothing more needs to be said.

:skitty: pisx :skitty:
Song: GFRIEND - Rough
Genre: K-pop
Description: The "innocent" k-pop subgenre has existed since the Korean idol industry's inception, characterized by its pure imagery and inspirations of orchestral music & 80s synthpop - through its heavy reliance on orchestral instrumentation & its punchy synths and drum machines. However, no one perfected and fully popularized the subgenre like GFRIEND did with their highly anticipated third single, Rough: a nostalgic, melancholic track about the hardships of young love and the unfairness of time's passage. The success of Rough was instant—it debuted at #2, topped the Korean charts the next week, had wins in every Korean music program possible, and broke a multitude of records, some of which they still hold to this day. A departure from the typical bright and cheery sound of the subgenre, Rough showed the versatility of the innocent concept, inspiring their peers and future groups to follow in their footsteps. It's easily the most influential girl group song of its era, inspiring countless other songs, and a variety of acts such as WJSN, APRIL, and fromis\_9 to debut.

Song (although by technicality, it's a piece of music, not a song): J.S. Bach – Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Genre: Baroque, Organ Music
Description: Truly one of the most iconic Baroque pieces of music out there. This piece is an incredibly influential piece of classical music. It has left a lasting impact on both musicians and listeners throughout the centuries since its creation in the early 18th century, despite it's incredibly forgettable name. The piece also has some cinematic influence over the years, often being used for an eerie / creepy vibe. Overall, an amazing work by Bach - truly one of his best. (arguably but that's another discussion.)

Yeah you read the start of this right, unfortunately for us, skies has stepped down from Room Owner. Thank you for everything you've done for the room and community!!

Hello! As of this month, I've gotten back into listening to new metal albums. And as such, I figured I could do a lil write up on my top 5 releases of the month! Perhaps this could become something I do every month? We shall see.

Number 5:
By Fire and Sword - Glory
Heavy/Power Metal, FFO Powerwolf, and HammerFall
This was at first a VERY weird album for me, that I was not particularly fond of, as the lyrics at a first glance seemed like very over the top Evangelicalism. I had found the actual music to be very enjoyable, unique, and fun power metal but I could just not get past the lyrics. However, after a bit more research into the band I came to a very clear conclusion: they're a parody. None of their lyrics are meant to be taken seriously, and they do not actually believe in the content of the lyrics themselves. For me, that knowledge made the album become a lot more enjoyable, since as said, their brand of power metal is rather fun and unique as is, but this also gives them another factor to stand out in the crowd of bands worshipping the classics.

Number 4:
Moonlight Sorcery - Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle
Melodic Symphonic Black Metal, FFO Stormkeep, Dissection, and Dimmu Borgir
Don't really have too much to really say about this one, but it's just simply really good symphnic black metal. As is rather typical with black metal, it is nearly impossible to make out the actual content of the lyrics, but for me personally, understanding the lyrics does not really matter when it comes to black metal (for the most part). This is just simply some excellent symphonic black metal. It doesn't take anything over the top like some other bands tend to (looking at you, Xanthochroid). Just great stuff, enough said.

Number 3:
Woe - Legacies of Frailty
Black Metal
, FFO Wiegedood, Wolves in the Throne Room, RABM in general
What's this?? TWO black metal albums landing in my top 5 of one month? For those who know my taste these days, this is basically unheard of, especially for a traditional black metal band such as Woe. Yet here we are. This album is just simply a unrelenting, furious, and ANGRY example of how to do black metal right. This album is also one of the rare cases of black metal which I can make out what the lyrics are, and boy is Chris Grigg rightfully angry. The lyrical contents of this album are all tied together to make a grand concept of the fall of humanity at the hand of our own greed. This is also definitely the most aggressive and at the same time well produced Woe album to date, and makes for an amazing entry into their already amazing discography.

Number 2:
Eunomia - The Chronicles of Eunomia Part II
Symphonic Power Metal
, FFO Rhapsody, Legend of Doom Valley, and Avantasia
And now for something completely different! I love power metal, but this is known and is not a surprise to anyone familiar with my music taste. As such, anybody familiar with Eunomia will not be surprised to see them here as this album is just incredible. It is cheesy as hell, and it works so damn well. Unlike most bands, Eunomia does not actually have a vocalist, but they instead have a different vocalist guest on each track. And OH BOY do we have some legends of modern power metal here, like Alessandro Conti, John Yelland, Anders Skold, Matt Krais, etc I'm not going to list literally every vocalist that appears because I really just could lmao. In terms of the concept of the album, I'll be completely honest I have no idea what's going on aside from that it's the continuation of the story from Eunomia's first album. Just go listen to it if you like cheesy power metal, you will not be disappointed at all.

Number 1:
ShadowStrike - Traveler's Tale
Symphonic Power Metal
, FFO Twilight Force, Majestica, and Fellowship
Wow! ANOTHER symphonic power metal album?? Color me surprised (not)! I really don't have anything else to say here aside from its cheesy, and super over the top and I love it. Please just listen to it.​

Last edited:

Clouds

False Pretenses
porygon2october.gif

October Song Recommendations
It's our annual spooky season -- this month's theme is songs that are eerie, dark, or otherwise a sign of the times

[# Room Owners]

Song: GWAR - Let Us Slay
Genre: Thrash Metal/Heavy Metal
Description: RIP David Brockie, LET THEM SLAY

[@ Room Moderators]
Song:
Joy Division - She's Lost Control
Genre: Post-Punk
Description: haunting

Song: Mr.Kitty - Neglect
Genre: synthpop, darkwave
Description: my backlog of october recs would last me until the world ends

:quagsire: Gota Love Yaoi :quagsire:
Song: The Cramps - Human Fly
Genre: Halloween
Description: Halloween

Song:
Type O Negative - Creepy Green Light
Genre: gothic/doom metal
Description: Don't be afraid of the green light, of the green light.

Song: yeule - pocky boy
Genre: synthpop
Description: very scary synthpop with ethereal vocals, very minimalistic sounds, and even a spooky music video to go along with it! recommended to me by a user in The Studio and I ended up liking it a lot, maybe you will too :)

Song:
suicide - frankie teardrop
Genre: no wave
Description: a song that is dark and sparse. not really a pick me up listen but the subject matter (murder and going to hell) as well as just how the song fucking sounds is the most spooky shit imaginable

Song:
KikuoHana - O Light
Genre: jrock, vocaloid cover
Description: early high school vibes

Song:
Spawn of Possession - Apparition
Genre: Technical Death Metal
Description: Close enough tbh

[% Room Drivers]

:slowking: zipzapadam :slowking:
Song: Kristin Chenoweth & Idina Menzel - Defying Gravity
Genre: Broadway / Show Tunes
Description: Wicked is ubdoubtedly one of the most important musicials for modern day broadway, with an iconic closing song for Act I. A showstopping number preformed by two greats.

[+ Room Voices/Alumni]
:drifblim: Acid Techno :drifblim:
Song: Bobby Pickett & The crypt kickers - Monster Mash
Genre: Novelty, Halloween music
Description: Nothing better tbqh outsold every other Halloween track

:marill: Pacific Marill :marill:
Song: Snowgoons ft. Singapore Kane & Slaine - The Hatred
Genre: Hip-hop
Description: old-school hiphop energy, underrated track

:skitty: pisx :skitty:
Song: f(x) - Dracula
Genre: k-pop
Description: Korean pop's experimental pioneers take a hard-left with this campy cult classic from their third studio album - in theory, the song's on-the-nose approach should handicap it to a lowly, corny track, but f(x)'s theatrical, perfect execution of the concept leaves it a staple deep-cut that any fan of the genre should know.

Tenshi's October mashpotato is out on a broomstick joyride:

1696655022264.png

That's all for this month! See you next month with a new set of recs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)