Project The Top 10 Titans of the 6th Gen OU Metagame

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Mega Sableye

Basing my vote on the fact that it's the most influential in my opinion. One of the most important pokemon for stall (without Sableye the Shedinja and Gothitelle stalls wouldn't be that good) and also had a really big influence on offensive teams: was one of the main reasons spike offense declined and threats like Mega Medicham, Gengar and Reuniclus have to deal with another great counter. Unlike Mega Zard X, who just required solid checks or counters on offensive teams to stop it, Mega Sableye shaped the metagame in such a way that many pokemon used certain moves or pokemon mainly for Mega Sableye. Examples being Skill Swap Azelf, Lum SD rocks Garchomp, Rocks Clefable, Wisp/Taunt + SD Talonflame and the list goes on

Last edited:
Mega Charizard X

Longest standing top-tier viability, potential to threaten almost any team, not much more needs to be said and everything here has been brought up in some other way, shape or form.

Gothitelle

Gothitelle has Shadow Tag. Shadow Tag kind of ruined a ton of things. Yes, Gothitelle itself is shitty, but just having Shadow Tag alone and being the backbone of an entire archetype that lead to a ban makes it worth considering for #1 for being so overcentralizing.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Aegislash. [ aka 50/50.mkv ]

idk why yall wrote off one of the best mons of xy/oras despite being banned only in late xy and even despite the revisit in oras, it stayed banned. this mon single handedly put all spinblockers to shame and also provided multiple playstyles a huge boost just by having it's presence alone. subshieldtox, sd 3 attacks, special aoa, mixed, wp mixed, pursuit trapper, you name it, it can run it. a lot of games went down to how well this particular mon was played in games and yeah it's stupid af.

this single mon rocked the whole pokemon community and is thus deserving of that ridiculous top spot as OU's top titan.

anyway, where did swagplay klefki go on this list? o: no one wrote about klef + swagplay?

Good participation so far! Looks like we have three man candidates right now, and all three are worthy contenders. I have to throw my support behind Mega Charizard X. I don't think any Pokemon has had such a long lasting impact in XY as Charizard X. It's been doing pretty much the same thing from Day 1, yet it's still about as terrifying now as it ever was. It is essentially the perfect sweeper. That isn't to say it's unstoppable or completely flawless, but it has all of the traits that every offensive Pokemon aspires to have: high offensive stats, a great ability, a solid speed tier, near-perfect dual STABs, reliable recovery, decent bulk, a great pair of boosting moves, and a typing that is excellent offensively with some defensive advantages to boot. While Landorus-T has been one of the most popular and enduring utility Pokemon of the generation, Charizard X is one of the biggest contributors to its success. It has defined what it means to be a top tier offensive Pokemon, and it has never failed to be a significant restraint on teambuilding, and for that I think it deserves the #1 spot.

This is tricky IMO. I think Mega Charizard X (seriously that's why Lando-T became as popular as it did) is my choice due to how many things were then used to check/counter it and EVEN THEN it only dropped to A rank at the worst (IIRC). Sure, it may have fell out of the meta a bit but that's only because the meta had to intentionally adapt to keep that monster down...and even now, it can still excel.

Personally, I think that Mega Charizard X should be number one because of it's excellent typing that helps it offensively and defensively, the variety of sets that it can use, and its raw power. Every team needs something to check this thing, and what really makes zard x so significant to me is that Charizard already has another excellent mega, and this thing somehow outclasses it. There's a reason why landorus and rotom have consistantly been so popular, even before sand had its comeback. That was because of this thing.

Mega Charizard X

Longest standing S rank Pokemon throughout all of XY and ORAS. It was once known to be able to 6-0 teams from turn 1, but with the massive usage of Landorus-T nowadays, that doesn't happen as easily anymore. In fact, as many other people have said, Zard X is one of the biggest reasons why Landorus-T is so common. If offense doesn't run defensive Lando, they have to run something niche like Scarf Latios or Scarf Garchomp to check it, and literally the only reason you'd ever want to use either of those two sets is because of this monster. Having no true counters between DD and Wisp sets, people were terrified of this Pokemon in XY and even now in ORAS. I think it's safe to say Mega Charizard X is the most influential Pokemon in XY/ORAS.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zard-X

Tough one for me too, I was honestly about to vote Landorus-T but looking back Zard-X has definitely been one of the most threatening and defining Pokemon in the meta to date. Clefable was always good but struggled a lot when Aegi and Gene were in the tier, as well as Mega Mawile, which is why I didn't vote that either. Zard-X requires a bit more support than most of the other top tier Pokemon but it's capable of single handedly destroying any team without a solid answer to DD 3 attacks, and even then it's so hard to keep Lando-T healthy. Early on in the meta it was running bulkier sets like DD Roost that could set up on so much shit, and the fat wisp set became very popular at one point for its ability to fit on very bulky teams and even some forms of stall, so it's honestly very versatile. All 3 of its sets have the capability of destroying certain match ups, and currently DD 3 attacks is so good for its ability to beat Tran, Diancie, and Tyranitar, which were normally used to beat it. Outside of like Quag there really aren't too many ways to consistently beat Zard-X, and even then most defensive checks to Zard are either weak to EQ or hate Wisp sets.

It may not be on the level of Lando-T or Clefable right now, but overall it's definitely been more consistent than them throughout the entire gen, outside of maybe Lando-T which is a close second. There just isn't any other Pokemon in the tier that is so team restrictive, influential, and threatening at the same time on the level of Zard-X for almost 2 years.

Last edited:
Landorus-T
Intimidate with gr8 defensive stars, lots of possible roles ,gr8 attack even without investment says it all
Also the reason for the existence of hidden power ice everywhere making even physical attackers run HP ice

Mega Charizard X: 17
Landorus-T: 8
Clefable: 5
Aegislash: 1
Gothitelle: 1
Mega Sableye: 1

I'm ending this one a little early, but it looks like it's pretty much in the bag. The winner for first place is Charizard X! As one of a handful of Megas introduced at the start of the generation, Charizard X made its mark early and never looked back. It's one of the most iconic offensive Pokemon of the generation, and by popular vote, it kicks of our list as the first top titan of the 5th Gen OU metagame. So now...

Voting for #2
Now we come to the silver medal, and from my experience, it gets tougher the lower down the list you go. Who do you think rightfully deserves the 2nd spot in the list of 6th Gen titans?

I'm going to vote for Landorus-T, mostly because it's one of the best checks to Zard-X and it's so versatile. Your Lando has problems with rotom? Run the smack down set. Need a way to get around excadrill on youyr offensive team? Lando should be your first choice. Need a wall that can do some decent damage in return? Lando can also do that. It's biggest flaw is its 4x weakness to ice, and because of intimidate the most prominant ice type in OU, weavile, cannot OHKO the scarf set with ice shard and can proceed to get destroyed. In my mind, only greninja and aegislash (and zard x) have had as much influence on the tier, and Lando has stayed in OU longer than the former two.

Aegislash

With Zard X taking #1, it's clear cut to me that Aegislash should take #2. Anyone that played XY when Aegislash was around should know that it was extremely splashable, had a high usage stat, was really difficult to deal with offensively and defensively, and most of all, pretty much invalidated a dozen otherwise good pokemon. If you didn't have the coverage move to deal with Aegislash, lower tiers would welcome you. Imo, Landorus-T is nothing compared to Aegislash. You still at least see stuff like dual priority Lopunny, Excadrill, Zard X, etc. In the Aegislash era, stuff like jirachi, Medicham, and gardevoir simply didn't see usage. Not even mentioning the 50/50s that everyone had to go through.

Aegislash

As anyone who played XY OU will tell you, Aegislash was the king of OU and the metagame revolves around making use of and checking Aegislash. It also single-handedly caused Lati@s, Jirachi, Scizor and Medicham which cannot harm it into liabilities as it can easily switch in and dent something off its massive 150 offensive stats. Being a spinbloker is just icing on the cake as Starmie needs to correctly predict the switch-in and Hydro Pump to even have a chance to beat it. Aegislash's ability to use different sets; the Swords Dance + 3 Attacks, Special Attacking sets, Choiced sets, utility sets and SubToxic sets all have different checks and counters, making it practically uncounterable. This forces the metagame to revert to bulky and slow Pokemon in hopes that they can live a Shadow Ball and hit Aegislash in its vulnerable state. The best check to Aegislash, Bisharp, is OHKOed by Secret Sword while Mandibuzz is OHKOed by +2 Head Smash or crippled by Toxic, just to give an idea of how difficult it is to switch into Aegislash. Oh, and I have not mentioned King's Shield yet. This single move makes all contact attackers to play a 50/50 where if they attack, they risk being crippled (This also includes Crunch and Pursuit, so have fun!) while if they attempt to boost, they risk eating an attack from 150 Atk / 150 SpA. King's Shield also invalidates Choice users. I have no idea why we keep this broken overcentralizing force in the metagame for so long or even attempt to reintroduce it in the ORAS meta as it simply warps the metagame around it. If the Pokemon has no measures against Aegislash, it automatically becomes a liability. If it does, it needs to account for 50/50s. One of the most ridiculous Pokemon that I have ever seen in OU and truly shaping the metagame into its image.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Aegislash

I didn't play much XY, but looking at Aegislash I can tell that it was able to execute so many roles well, being a powerful attacker, wall and blanket check all in one. Its high usage (showing just how good its sets were) made a ton of Pokémon unviable in OU because they got walled by it. An Aegislash check was, I'm guessing, mandatory on every team. Even then, opposing checks were forced to play 50/50s, meaning that this Pokémon was truly good. It shifted the meta a lot on its own, and despite it getting banned (as well as a personal dislike for it), I think it deserves #2.

Uber Sword/Buster Sword/Busted Sword

Well despite seeing Lando not take home the gold, I'll change my stance on who deserves the silver (Aegis joke, deal with it). If Lando-T was not the meta defining Pokemon compared to Mega Charizard X, then I definitely pivot around into this one behemoth right here.

Probably about 1/3 of OU is able to breathe safely since the Busted Sword was banned to Ubers back in mid-XY. A great many sweepers are thankful the former OU monster is gone, mainly due to such an amazing typing, with an amazing movepool even when it's coverage was kinda garbage.

I think the amount of shit that Aegislash stirred when an unbanning suspect test was announced should automatically place it in 2nd place alone.

But like some said above, the sheer versatility and overcentralization of this Pokemon was just phenomenal. Sweepers like Mega Metagross, Medicham, and Alakazam couldn't dream of making their mark on the tier if this Pokemon was still legal. The sets though, I could go on for days. LO physical, special, mixed. WP KS, mixed physical, and special. SubToxic. Although I personally preferred the dank Automize WP mixed version no KS myself. Also it recieved one move in the form of King's Shield that was exclusive to it alone (besides Smeargle) and that alone was a big enough factor into banning it and keeping it there.

Aegislash was frankly both a skillful and skill-less Pokemon at the same time. One you could fit in and use with hardly no trouble at all that restricted teambuilding on the opponents, and one you had to play right.

Busted Sword for silver.

Aegislash and I don't think it's really that close IMO.

In XY, Aegislash made Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, and Mega Latias lackluster megas on its own. Terrakion, a BW OU staple, fell off the planet because of Aegislash (who you couldn't touch unless you ran EQ). Jirachi, Mew, Mega Pinsir, and Scizor also took huge hits in viability (the last two slightly less so) because Aegislash didn't really care about what they could usually do. Mandibuzz went from unnoticed to a OU mainstay in XY because of its ability to wall almost all Aegislash sets-but when people started running SD+Head Smash or Sub Toxic, even fat things like Buzz and Hippo stood no chance.

It was a staple on all team archetypes and could do pretty much anything-wall (SubToxic), sweep (Automatize was legit, but SD+3 attacks was fine too), wallbreak (the Crumbler set), and often do several of these at once since Stance Change meant you only needed to have King's Shield to dumpster almost every physical attacker.

Seriously, Mega Pinsir ran EQ solely to beat Aegislash. TYRANITAR even ran EQ to get past Aegislash since it wasn't contact and Pursuit would mean a nice -2 Atk drop. That's crazy, and no other mon did what Aegislash could do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)