The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well congrats man, you did good and all, but...It's November, you kinda missed the deadline by several days lol, since that one was for September's usage stats. Right now I'm waiting for the October usage stats to come out so I can move onto the current month's challenge
If my team's usage is still under 35% and I have 2 Dark Horses based off of October usage stats, can I keep going w/ this account? I started laddering with the team on the first of November so I don't see why that score shouldn't be valid for November.

This is the team I was using. With the Oct. Usage Stats it still passes requirments:

| 6 | Florges | 14.56982% |
| 39 | Empoleon | 6.64218% |
| 43 | Rotom-Heat | 6.29218% |
| 70 | Quagsire | 2.25486% |
| 72 | Virizion | 1.87804% |
| 119 | Moltres | 0.45337% |

Total: 32.09045%

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If my team's usage is still under 35% and I have 2 Dark Horses based off of October usage stats, can I keep going w/ this account? I started laddering with the team on the first of November so I don't see why that score shouldn't be valid for November.

This is the team I was using. With the Oct. Usage Stats it still passes requirments:

| 6 | Florges | 14.56982% |
| 43 | Rotom-Heat | 6.29218% |
| 70 | Quagsire | 2.25486% |
| 72 | Virizion | 1.87804% |
| 119 | Moltres | 0.45337% |

Total: 32.09045%
You can keep that team but I want you to use a new alt. Mainly because I'm not sure how far you got with it and that kinda gives you a bit of a headstart, which might be unfair if you took something to the hall of fame before anybody else even had as much of a chance to do so, especially if they planned on using one or more of the same mons.

You can keep that team but I want you to use a new alt. Mainly because I'm not sure how far you got with it and that kinda gives you a bit of a headstart, which might be unfair if you took something to the hall of fame before anybody else even had as much of a chance to do so, especially if they planned on using one or more of the same mons.
I thought the Dark Horse competition starts new every month, so if I started on the 1st of November you're saying that's a headstart?

Preliminary findings:
1. My team is dookie
2. Bronzong isn't half bad, but its lack of power and reliable recovery hold it back somewhat
3. AV Entei is cool guy, Howl Entei has trouble setting up or can't break something and Entei in general is sad doge for having to run Adamant
4. I wish Braviary had more speeeeeeeed

Last edited:
So I really pushed to get this done before Diggersby gets released for re-testing. But, here are my findings on my Dark Horses; Aromatisse, Dragalge and Spiritomb. But, first the non-DH..

Goal of team: Semi-Stall/Full Stall with lots and lots of hazards. SR, Spikes and T-Spikes to really wear down the opponent plus the great synergy of the team really allowed me to pivot and have longevity. Ches/Emp are a great core to stack and control hazards. Noivern/Spirtomb are to cripple walls. Aromatisse is the reliable cleric and Drag is the sticky glue that held this team together.

Chesnaught/Empoleon core: This is my main hazard stacking core. SR/Spikes with Defog support in 2 pokes. Pretty simple sets. I never really used Chesnaught so much, but he can really pull his weight with the right support.

Noivern: Now, everybody and their mothers run Specs Noivern. I ran Scarf Noivern with Modest Nature. I know some of you are looking at me like I have 10 heads, but let me explain. Do you see any dedicated special walls on my team outside of Empoleon? Do you see anybody that can take repeated specs boosted special hits and be OK? No, that's exactly why I didn't choose specs. The last thing I wanted was to give a +1/+1 Suicune a Choice Specs. I speed creep with Noivern and am able to give it some bulk as well (won't give away the exact spread :-) ). Scarf Noivern allows it to check Scarf Hydre, +1 Haxorus/Zygarde, Scarf Flygon, etc.. Switcheroo + Infiltrator is such a huge boon for Noivern, as well, allowing it to lock sub users into one move whether it's Sub, boosting move, or in the case of SubCoil Zygarde either D Tail or EQ, which my team can easily handle due to key resists/immunities.

Aromatisse:
What is there to say about Aromatisse? Everybody knows that this DH is the most reliable Wish Passers thanks to Aroma Veil. Overall, great pivot and team support.

Spirtomb: Spiritomb was one of the last changes to the team in initial testing phase. I originally had Doublade here, but what I found was that Mega Zam and newly UU Zygarde can cause problems for my team. So, Spiritomb was the latest substitution. The reason I choose Spiritomb are pretty simple; 1. I liked the idea of Trick + Infiltrator, which went perfectly with Noivern's Switcheroo + Infiltrator. It allows me 2 opportunities to completey disrupt the 1/3 of my opponent's team. I used CB Spiritomb with Sucker Punch and Pursuit. This allowed me to reliably beat Sub Mega Zam and to trap Jirachi.

252+ Atk Choice Band Spiritomb Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 338-402 (99.1 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO- on the U-Turn switch
252+ Atk Choice Band Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 338-402 (99.1 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO- when Rachi tries to Flinch me to death

Also, it's 50/108/108 bulk is pretty decent allowing it to take most boosted moves and lock in threats into one move that can easily be handled my a teammate. Also, it should be noted that it can KO 200HP /0Def Mega Blastoise when it's under 50%, which you take into account all the hazards is very possible, while Dark Pulse only has a 46.7% chance to 2HKO.

Dragalge: I ran into RowDog's team on the ladder one day and it had a Dragalge on it. Upon first inspection, this dragon has so many weaknesses that are common in UU, that's it not funny; Dragon, Ice, Psychic and Ground. It's speed is terrible and it's abilities only have a 30% chance to inflict poison. Now, let's look at the good points of Dragalge:

1. Resists Fighting, Bug, Poison, Fire, Water, Electric, Grass (x4) and neutral to Fairy types.
2. Typing absorbs T-Spikes
3. 65/90/123 bulk is deceivingly good.
4. Completely stops VoltTurn spam.
5. Access to T-Spikes and Phazing move in D Tail and Scald to burn physical attackers.
6. Hard Infernape Counter

This thing is the ultimate glue for my team. Back to my story of Rowdog. I was battling and I realized that it's actually pretty tough to wear Drag down unless you specifically have one of those previously mentioned attacking types. Even then, Dragons can't switch in easily due to D Tail. Fairy's are maimed by Sludge Wave. Here's a few calcs to show it's bulk...

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 44-52 (13.1 - 15.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 165-195 (23.1 - 27.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery *for comparison*

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Dragalge: 103-121 (30.8 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Dragalge: 114-135 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- 47.1% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 134-158 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 195-231 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Regarding Specs Chandy, keep in mind that Chesnaught is immune to Shadow Ball, and I have Spiritomb to pursuit trap.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 312-369 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 320-377 (95.8 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 254-300 (76 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 210-248 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 338-402 (101.1 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, Nidos and Zam are probably the hugest threats to my team. The ability to tear through my team like tissue paper was not overlooked at all. CB Spiritomb handles Zam pretty well. Nidos are handled by a combination of Trick/Switcheroo and uses my teams key resists/immunities to beat them It doesn't happen all the time, but is definitely possible.

I will post some replays to see how the team functions...

Alt: Ashley11 likes pie
| 68 | Froslass | 2.32407% |
| 61 | Houndoom | 3.06053% |
| 183 | Rotom | 0.09445% |

| 32 | Machamp | 7.63214% |
| 37 | Nidoqueen | 6.82559% |
| 44 | Celebi | 5.89520% |
Total: 25.83198%
I'm going to try this out, I think it's crazy that rotom only has 9/100th of a percent of usage. We'll see if its just me.

CoolStoryBrobat what do you think is going to happen when ORAS comes out in 2 weeks regarding the new megas and dark horses? Seeing as most of the new megas are all DH, im curious to how this will work. Altaria, Scept, Diancie, Beedrill, Pidgeot are all monster mrgas, but are so low for obvious reasons. Will ORAS UU be a contination of XY UU like BW transitions to BW2? Or are we looking at a whole new tiering system (i.e. ORaS uu is separate from XY UU)?

Honestly, I think it would be best to give the DH project a miss for the next month. The tier will have shifted greatly and a lot of Pokemon's viabilities will have changed, that and a tier shift with drops involving Pokemon coming from and going to OU, it will be hard to use "underrated" Pokemon and see how it manages to get a niche in the meta, which has only been around for a few days, making the project just seem a bit pointless imo. Especially considering the new Megas.

Probably best to skip December and resume in January after the tier has stabilised.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
CoolStoryBrobat what do you think is going to happen when ORAS comes out in 2 weeks regarding the new megas and dark horses? Seeing as most of the new megas are all DH, im curious to how this will work. Altaria, Scept, Diancie, Beedrill, Pidgeot are all monster mrgas, but are so low for obvious reasons. Will ORAS UU be a contination of XY UU like BW transitions to BW2? Or are we looking at a whole new tiering system (i.e. ORaS uu is separate from XY UU)?
Pretty much what RowDog said, he took the words out my mouth. And ORAS UU is most likely going to be taking the place of XY UU, since it's within the same continuity.

Pretty much what RowDog said, he took the words out my mouth. And ORAS UU is most likely going to be taking the place of XY UU, since it's within the same continuity.
I kind of assumed, but it never hurts to check! It probably wouodve been one of the easiest DH months though. Jut spam Beedrill lol

._.
Well I'm already bored with that team as is, so I'm not gonna re-ladder. Here's my new team:

Alt: TwelfthAzelf

| 7 | Infernape | 14.19528% |
| 35 | Azelf | 7.19606% |
| 47 | Starmie | 5.58657% |
| 75 | Doublade | 1.77934% |
| 78 | Abomasnow | 1.58324% |
| 88 | Jolteon | 1.11163% |

Total: 31.45212%

I think I'm onto something here, so I'm in.

Frogadier - 0.00822%
Golbat - 1.08867%
Virizion - 1.87804%

Snorlax - 4.54669%
Aggron - 8.07752%
Darmanitan - 12.53084%

Total: 28.12998&

Alt name: Markorse

Offensive core inspired by Poonhunter.

Alt: under 500

Omastar: 0.26876%
Slowking: 1.54097%
Cofagrigus: 0.85239%
Diancie: 2.62525%
Escavalier: 0.63748%
Rhyperior: 1.51571%

Total: like 8%? Less??

:]
I wonder what kind of team this is....

But, rhyperior has dropped so much from its BW UU glory days. Still definitely viable though. Good luck!

I didn't like my other team, here is my new one lol

| 19 | Chandelure | 9.47135% |
| 46 | Tentacruel | 5.65920% |
| 49 | Hippowdon | 4.84925% |
| 107 | Stoutland | 0.62967% |
| 127 | Mismagius | 0.32704% |
| 150 | Cradily | 0.20773% |

Total: 21.21381%

In
Alt: Omfuga's a horse
Aromatisse, Machamp, Rotom-c, Kyurem, Empoleon, Arcanine

| 77 | Aromatisse | 1.66636%
| 32 | Machamp | 7.63214% |
| 83 | Rotom-Mow | 1.27136% |
| 65 | Kyurem | 2.43727% |

| 20 | Arcanine | 9.16290% |

somewhere near 28% in total... too lazy to pull out a calculator

EZ 1600 http://prntscr.com/56pi7r

Trick Room is amazing against offense but struggles against stall. It plays kind of similarly to hyper offense but it's much bulkier; the downside is the setup that's required every couple of turns. I found it to be really strategic: the quality of a trick room team doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as how well you play it and the predictions you make. Trick Room is also pretty hazard weak, but your own hazards can give you a huge advantage.

The goal is to see which of your Pokemon can do the most damage to the opposing team, then get that Pokemon in with 3-4 turns of Trick Room ASAP. Then it's easy to clean up with the rest of the team. My Trick Room setters were Life Orb Mixed Diancie, Cofagrigus, and Slowking. I then had SD Rhyperior and CB Escavalier to break things under TR, and lead Omastar for hazards. Here's a couple games showing how I played:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-183810001
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-183829895 - vs my own RMT :]
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-183876304
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-183878036 - vs another Trick Room. Hazards are everything.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184107512 - Used Slowking to wear down his Diancie counter, then set up Diancie and won
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184090190 - just showing how extremely effective TR is against offense
EDIT: more replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184227384
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184226699 - "RESIST"

Lead Omastar - this thing has honestly been amazing, I'm using 3 hazards and Scald and being able to pick which hazard I want that's most effective against the opposing team is simply incredible. It's almost always able to get at least 1 hazard up even if the opponent has lead Azelf or something. I can get more than 1 quite frequently. Cofagrigus is a cool spinblocker too, unfortunately there's not much I can do to prevent Defog.

Choice Banded Escavalier - if this gets under Trick Room then something is dying 100% unless the opponent has 1) an Aggron or 2) an Empoleon. People switch in things like Swampert, Suicune, and even defensive Arcanine only to get 2hkod. Pursuit is also great letting me get rid of threats like Mega Alakazam and Espeon (for Omastar).

SD Rhyperior - I hardly ever use SD unless something is Wish/Tecting on me. The main problem with this is that you have to predict really well cause people will try to switch around your Edge/Quake till TR is up. Regardless, it's a powerful option and it's definitely been putting in work.

Nasty Plot Slowking - the most reliable TR setter on the team. Thanks to Regenerator, it's able to come in multiple times. The water type is an excellent addition as otherwise, Metagross and Mega Aggron would go right through me. It can take plenty of hits on the special side, even super effective ones. I ran a Colbur Berry as you'll see in the replay and the amount of times it's saved me the game is insane. I love Slowking as a TR setter a lot, and Scald is OP.

Nasty Plot Cofagrigus - My only Leftovers Pokemon, because it needs to be able to stay in on things like Donphan and other spinners, set up, and deal some damage so I can finish them off with other mons. It provides a nice Fighting immunity which I needed pretty badly. While Slowking takes hits with ease on the special side, Cofagrigus is able to set up Trick Room on a lot of physically attacking Pokemon as it's got enough physical bulk to live even STAB Knock Offs.

Life Orb Diancie - truly the star of the team. Here's the set go ahead and laugh :]
Diancie @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion
Mixed offenses means nothing's really safe. Steel types are definitely a problem, but besides, that, I can't even think of anything that isn't one or two hit KO'd. Explosion is really nice to finish off an annoying wish/protecter or something and get in another big threat. Diamond Storm's defense boost is also pretty clutch too. A Fairy type that beats Fire types is cool too.

Overall it's surprisingly successful and I've definitely had fun using it [:[/hide]

Last edited:
Achieved A-Rank :] http://prntscr.com/5776bf also happened to hit 3 on the ladder.

Forgot to mention this in my last post, but Mega Blastoise is the number one threat to this team. I have to keep Slowking's Colbur alive and keep Escavalier near full health, because every other Pokemon gets OHKOd (my second loss with this team was actually when IronBullet's Blastoise flinched my Slowking upon activating the Colbur, then burned my Escavalier xd).

Here's a few more replays on the higher end of the ladder:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184409018
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184414064
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184417516
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184419553
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184598025 - when people try to play around TR
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184599951 - when people try to play around TR v2
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184599165
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184601564 - how TR beats Sableye
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-184602868

I keep seeing this and I'm wondering: Why set up the Trick Room and THEN the Nasty Plot? If you set-up Nasty Plot first you get another turn of super speedy +2 action.
This depends on the opponents team, and I actually always consciously decide whether to Nasty Plot or to Trick Room first. Early game, I will Trick Room first 90% of the time because the opponent will usually have something to offensively threaten my Trick Room setter or disrupt it in some way. For example, in my previous post in the last replay before the edit, I Trick Roomed first vs. his Aerodactyl. If he had gone to Whimsicott on that turn and I had Nasty Plotted, I would have had to risk taking a Specs Giga Drain, or him having Encore or something like that. This also holds if they have a phazer: if they switch to, say, Empoleon on the Nasty Plot, then I'll just get Roared out without accomplishing anything since phazing has higher priority than the move Trick Room.

So basically, Trick Rooming first gives me a lot more options the next turn: I can either stay in and Nasty Plot, or I can switch out to my big threats Escavalier and Rhyperiorm and just play around whatever the opponent did that turn. I only Nasty Plot my first turn if I'm 100% positive that I'll be able to safely get off a Trick Room the following turn(s) and want to stay in with that Pokemon. Thank you for bringing that up and I hope I was able to clarify that.

Every time I have a TR setter in, I have to play out the next couple of turns in my mind to see what move would be the most productive, and this is true especially for Nasty Plotting/just attacking/setting up Trick Room.

Edit: Might as well just upload my team here. Let me know what you think of it, give it a shot, and have fun using it :]
"KNOCK OFF" (Slowking) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock

"OFFENSE" (Diancie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Explosion

"FORRETRESS" (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

"COUNTER" (Rhyperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

"RESIST" (Escavalier) @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

"SMASHING" (Omastar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

It's brilliantly almost halfway into the month and I was actually planning on skipping the Dark Horse for this month, but you know what? Screw it. Given how much the metagame has changed, with pretty much every retest mon being BL'd and a lot of the new Mega evolutions being lobbed. I got a hold of the usage stats for November, and they aren't as drastically skewed as I was expecting them to be, so you know what? Even though it's almost 2 weeks in, we're gonna bring the challenge around this month. Hope y'all can manage to keep up and hopefully we get a good bit of participation to bring us back from the past month's low success rate (only 2 peeps who signed up actually made it).

For this month at least, there's gonna be a couple changes though.

1. Lopunny and Gallade get a 4% "usage tax" penalty added onto them. Meaning when building your Dark Horse teams, Lopunny/Gallade will go from:

| 39 | Gallade | 6.40670% ----> | 39 | Gallade | 10.40670%
| 46 | Lopunny | 5.78514% ----> | 46 | Lopunny | 9.78514%

This makes their usage stats a bit more similar to those of the top 15 UU mons, which is arguably fair considering these guys are highly broken potent in the tier. Can't let making teams with them for this challenge be TOO easy, now can I? Be grateful they're still allowed...

2. Next change is that due to the PS! Ladder having been reset completely, the Elo required to get Hall of Fame status is changed accordingly:

A-Rank = 1600 Elo
B-Rank = 1500 Elo
C-Rank = 1400 Elo

Ladder inflation's inevitably gonna happen over time and this provision will eventually be removed but right now it's the easiest way to make this challenge work for the month, so it's in effect for December. Whether it lasts in January is gonna be based on how hard the top guys plan on 1-upping eachother. Till then...Enjoy, and best of luck everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)