The Well #63: cookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are some of the weirdest posts/threads you've ever had to moderate/infract?
ooh tough one. Nothing comes to mind - and there's nothing noteworthy in my inbox either. I don't tend to remember much of my moderation efforts: they're mostly for people acting out of line or me editing posts for humorous purposes.

Last edited:

cookie

is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
what is your favorite episode of BWB?
Top three:
Broodwich: as a massive ATHF fan I've been waiting for him to do this for a while, and the effort he goes to making the devil bread and his own deli meats is incredible. Plus, the end result looks delicious.
IASIP part 2: I really, really liked the look of those pancakes with the chilli jam. oml
Prison sauce: Goodfellas is one of my favourite films and I love red meat sauces. Also, being one of his older episodes it has the iconic Frasier opening and the whimsical soft-rock background music in the main bit
if you had to cook a meal to impress someone with no dietary restrictions, what would you make?
I made butter chicken with naan over lockdown, and it was so good I was mildly depressed for a few days because it tasted like the rest of my cooking would be downhill from there on. So that. For dessert there'll be panna cotta, and a frozen banana daiquiri to wash it down.
note: all of these I mastered over lockdown
do you have any actual resemblance to your avatar? (because that's how i picture you)
I am unfortunately far less endowed in the melanin department than my avatar. i'm a white dude of european decent
who is your favorite user who no longer frequents this site?
already partly covered by my answer to users I'd like to see back, but I'll add mingot. Mingot is an incredibly nice guy and one of the funniest people on this site.
what is your most 'WTF?' smogon moment?
several:
1. hazerider deleting the QDB (of these, the only one I "witnessed")
2. finding out one of our users got arrested for manslaughter (kingempoleon? and it might've been his mother, am hazy on the details)
3. ipl travelling across several states to hang out with a 13-year-old
EDIT: I just remembered a post that audibly made me go wtf: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blankism.3539584/page-3#post-6271721

Last edited:

cookie

U heavily recommended investing in Bitcoin when it first came out years ago to everyone in #strongs, so are you our first smogon billionaire now ?
lol, and i still do. Bitcoin hasn't gone away and if you're bullish on gold, then bitcoin is just a better version of it (the environmental concerns which stopped me from being a full-on bitcoin bull have largely disappeared now that it's clear renewables will replace fossil fuels within the next decade or so).

as to whether i'm a billionaire yet, I'm not at liberty to disclose that but you can get in touch with my team of accountants and they can fulfill your request.

cookie

what do you think is your all time best thread/post?
best thread: the one that springs to mind isn't actually my thread, but a thread edit i'm still pretty proud of to this day: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/that-dirty-bassline.72208 - unfortunately a lot of the image links are dead but you get the idea from those that remain (context: this was immediately after the 2010 general election)

in terms of threads i actually created: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/our-policy-on-making-policies.86907/

posts, that's a tough one. in terms of posting i probably peaked several years ago and it's hard to remember any of the posts i made back then.

one post i do remember that wasn't my best but the first "good" post i remember making: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-question-of-the-ages.33204/#post-792697. the link's dead but it's that picture of a guy set on fire in a wheelchair

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
what's your result on the north-o-meter (disclaimer: 2013 internet humor and quiz format)

do you think pokemon is fundamentally bad or good as a competitive game? what about randbats in specific?

do you have any favorite climbers?

you said python is your favorite language. do you care about the development of the language? did you care about all the stink that was raised when van rossum added the walrus operator?

any standout thread/moment from v (known to ancient ones as vader)?
do you think theres any way to spiritually revive the 'v likes this thread' thread tag?

best wwe wrestler?

favorite frog species?

favorite frog in pop culture?

which of the prior questions were most garbage?

P.S. i caught you in the lie. you are not of European descent, you are 100% arab

Last edited:

cookie

which pokemon pals have you met IRL
reno/mcgraw/acematador/toothache/joel - we went to the natural history museum and ate pizza afterwards

i met mcgraw randomly again in central london, had lunch

az/fishy - i went up to glasgow to hang out with those two lovebirds (which I did NOT know until I got there, haha). surprisingly wasn't awkward at all, definitely one of my favourite meetups

doommullet/fish - also met luke bonnett, who i think went under the name of bonnett here?

firestorm/mcgraw/possibly one other - we went to a canadian pub in covent garden lol

then a lot later on i met acematador and shade. that was the time shade was really busting for a piss so first on the agenda was going to a mcdonalds in euston for him to relieve himself

listen up son, you'll soon hear the story of how i met your mother

fmk faint v monkfish
fuck faint, marry monkfish but i'll get sick of him being on discord all the time so i'll have to kill him too
How does it feel being an oldfag to the oldfags? Grandoldfag?
i feel so old. generations of smogoners have come and gone while i'm still here by the campfire telling people stories about users they've probably never heard of

cookie

what's your result on the north-o-meter (disclaimer: 2013 internet humor and quiz format)
48% which puts me in wolverhampton (*shudder*)
the real win here is that tom scott saved ed balls teaches typing: https://www.tomscott.com/usvsth3m/edballs/

do you think pokemon is fundamentally bad or good as a competitive game? what about randbats in specific?
i think it has a lot to offer: its stochastic nature introduces an extra hurdle to build strategies around and the fact that you try to predict your opponent is something that i think more games should have. the rush of building a theory of mind about your opponent and testing it is great. (it should come as no surprise therefore that i like poker as well)
i play randbats because i cba with making teams, but you still get a lot of those aspects I mentioned. but instead of the teambuilding side you can now try to infer the rest of your opponent's team, which is no mean task as they're all random. One thing I've picked up on is that if your opponent has decided to leave in a grass type against a fire type for example, it's often because their team is equally fucked against fire and they're in damage limitation mode. That kinda of behaviour is something you don't see as often in competitive games. And sometimes the game is so stacked you're forced to go for some really bizarre strategies to give yourself even a 10% chance of winning.
do you have any favorite climbers?
the only one i know is alex honnold (el capitan fame).
you said python is your favorite language. do you care about the development of the language? did you care about all the stink that was raised when van rossum added the walrus operator?
haha did he really? My colleague is pretty outspoken over it too...I'm not a big programming language nerd - I generally see them from a very practical standpoint, but I think the walrus operator probably does more good than harm by saving time and lines writing code, against the extra rope it gives you to hang yourself with.

I don't care per se, but I find it interesting to see the slow convergence of popular languages over the years: each one is taking the best bits of the others. Java 8 introduced lambda functions back in like 2015, Python's brought in a bunch of asynchronous library support, and Javascript has become more "human readable" with things like the `let` keyword.
any standout thread/moment from v (known to ancient ones as vader)?
the morally questionable but hilarious posting of that photo of a dead grandpa with his family sitting around him. he did have a penchant for shock humour but he did it rather effectively.
do you think theres any way to spiritually revive the 'v likes this thread' thread tag?
replace it with shade. he needs it because he refuses to use reacts
best wwe wrestler?
beef supreme
favorite frog species?
frogs are stupid. they are an evolutionary dead end. Their skin is permeable to environmental toxins, and what they get in return? Being able to breathe through their skin? Lungs are far better at that. Any animal that has to use its eyeballs to swallow is a complete failure and proof that god was really phoning it in by the time he got to designing them
favorite frog in pop culture?
sir are you asking me if we have battletoads in stock
which of the prior questions were most garbage?
naw son don't put youself down like that
P.S. i caught you in the lie. you are not of European descent, you are 100% arab
ahhh fuck

cookie

Have you killed off or rendered infertile at least five (5) mating rivals yet, Cuckie?
is this the modern-era version of the "would you fuck a ghost" question
What does Shade's mom make for breakfast?
she whips out a chicken mushroom pie from the fridge, microwaves it for 30s and slaps it between two slices of toast and a dollop of mustard

i call it "shade's early inheritance"
fmk

Boris Johnson, John Bercow, Arlene Foster
Joanna Lumley, Julie Andrews, Tilda Swinton
Piers Morgan, Ant and Dec (package deal), Lord Sugar
k/m/f
f/k/m
f/f/f

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. You say you love the onion. What's your favorite onion article? Cuz god damn there's a lot of good ones to choose lol.

2. Have you dealt with multiple programing langauges? If so, what's the one you thought was the biggest pain in the ass?

3. If you were to give a smogoner a tour guide of London, what do you think would the best "secret spot" tourists don't know about?

4. What's your favorite kind of pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)