The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a TD of the "excluded from the rest of the world community where people with lack of attention and acknowledgment play against each other to get more self-esteem", I'd like to give my opinion. But first of all, please notice that I'm not french (I'm from Belgium) and as such, I couldn't play for Team France anyway. So what I'll say really isn't motivated by jealousy or anything like that.

The community we've been leading for now a couple of years does have a level inherently lower than the one you can find on Smogon. That's obvious and I'm not denying that. That being said, something like half of your team is coming from this very community you're criticizing. And that's because the main purpose of that community is to serve as a training for Smogon. Something that could bring the best players of the community to rise and maybe make some perf on smogon. I'm totally fine with you preferring perfs on smogon than perfs on OFCS, that's perfectly logical, but what I really don't like is your trashtalking of that community that, in the end, gave you half the team you have right now.

That being said, it's obvious that a lot of people criticizing pretty much everything you do, do it for pretty bad reasons. But don't do as if the whole community was against you, because that's not true, and that's even pretty much the opposite of what you can observe every year. For each WCoP, you have a lot of french goons cheering the team -sometimes it's even a bit too much-.
I won't really be cheering for you personally, as I'll be invested in another team, but I still hope you'll go as far as possible -and who knows, maybe see you in finals ? That would be awesome-.

Last edited:
Considering the recent events surrounding France's Line-Up, I just feel like things have to be said. I really thought that Ojama was trying to get the best out of France potential and I wanted no part of the drama, but the latest events just made me change my mind. France is more like fancy party organised by a bully who can't help himself but pressure the people who don't serve him.

Do you have any idea why Simia was kicked out of team France ? He made the unbearable mistake of sharing one of Ojama's BW team to Welliou, who is a fellow blacklisted guy. Yes, it's all it takes : being friend with people that Ojama doesn't like. What an unforgivable crime. I defended a lot of points about the fact that some random guys have no right to criticize the choices made. Winning a tour on a random forum doesn't give you any right to take World Cup spots for granted.

In this case, it's not about that. A bunch of players are blacklisted because "they are in Shoka's circle" and this came straight from his mouth. Other players, SPL/WorldCup players such as Welliou, Raspberry and Marshall Law are in the same position, they are just not friend with Ojama.

It's a fact to strive for peace in a group, but it's another thing to put a spoke in a whole team's wheel because you don't like some people. That being said, I really wish good luck to the none-blacklisted guys who made it

Last edited:
Ojama, I actually would like to talk to you directly in the name of the "people that you consider attention whores because they don't perf on smogon", as being part of it as a random bad Pokémon player, and would like to be read as a human being, and not having my argues despised just because I'm not a great player, since I'm not even close to be a decent one.

I am one of those who are not good at the game, but still appreciate it as an entertainment and a good way to tryhard a game just for the challenge, even if I'm bad at it. You may have laughed at this last sentence, but as same as you find playing the WCoP challenging, I find playing against the french community is challenging, since in both of our cases we play against players that are approximatively at the same level than us ; elite or not, top players or not, if two players with the same skills are facing each other, they are both facing a challenge, and the "challenging part" is what I appreciate about competitive Pokémon ; that's why I'm particularly interested about the challenges between the best of the best players, aka the World Cup.

I agree with the point that us, the french community of Smogon, are completely apart from the french WCoP players, and that doesn't seem to be a problem to me, neither to anyone from the community as far as I know.
The thing here is that you found a way to look down and spit on everyone from this community, while we are just spectators of what you and the people you play with are doing.
Besides the trolls and the private jokes, we never seriously asked to play any WCoP matches because we know it is out of our range, so I don't really think that roasting everyone at the same time on such a viewed post was particularly relevant.
Also, I personally don't think that being away of the community as a WCoP manager (even tho you are no longer the cap for the 2nd edition in a row) is a bad thing ; the problem I would like to point here is that while we just want to know what happens to the best players coming from the french community, or at least the best french players, you're just insulting every single one of us even tho you know that some people you've spit on may be in your lineup for the following editions.
We are just asking for some news about people we know at least by name, and you refuse to communicate anything about what happens for the French country in the World Cup of Pokémon, and take the opportunity to publicly roast us while you're at a position that everyone that reads these posts know you and know your value at the game, and so are more likely to trust your argues than any others ; posting this roast while knowing that was not a really good move in my opinion.

I also think that blaming you for picking the same players for multiple editions in a row is pointless ; if the aforementioned player is as good, motivated and available as last year, and you found no one that actually beats him on these levels, just pick him. Not doing it would be a terrible mistake as a manager.
But actually, literally none of us know how you can know if someone meets these conditions. We don't know how you can know if someone has reached this cap or not ;
- Do you look at the smogon perfs only? If yes, then we all know that some players have been at least as good as Wabane recently, so there must be something else.
- Do you look at how players act and talk to see their progression curve and look at if they'll be good enough to play th following editions? We don't think so, since you ain't looking at how the community lives, or at least we all believe you don't.

Those two questions are just examples of what we may wonder about how you find your players, there must be many others that I'm not thinking about right now, and I hope you may understand our confusion about this topic.

I am not trying to roast anyone here, neither to create or feed any drama ; I would just like at least to get more infos on how you create your WCoP line-up, and at best having some feedback on how your competition is going.

I hope you won't get mad or anything after reading this (if you're at least paying attention to it), please just get in mind that I'm just trying to build a healthier relationship between you as the "french WCoP line-up main figure", and the rest of the french community.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Imagine writing a post in which you start off by saying you don't need to explain yourself, then proceed to explain yourself for several paragraphs, specifically directed at some peasants you don't give two fucks about
I do this all the time. It makes me an easy troll target but nonetheless I revel in unnecessarily explaining to somebody exactly why they're dumb and wrong.

Do you have any idea why Simia was kicked out of team France ? He made the unbearable mistake of sharing one of Ojama's BW team to Welliou, who is a fellow blacklisted guy.
I must disagree.

As a guy who's both in good terms with several blacklisted french people and a Team France member, i don't want to comment the blacklist thing, neither in public nor in private because there's a lot of stuff i don't know/wasnt there to witness and i dont want to shittalk any of my friends in their back

And as a Team France member i have faith in my comrades, like i told you IRL.

However, i must disagree with you on something that's very important to me, and not only me :

When Ojama and i exchanged PMs he stressed a lot the importance of the "no leak" clause, which seemed not only fair to me, but necessary and somehow kinda motivated me to be part of the gang.

the part in spoiler is here to prove i'm speaking with what i have in my mind and not as a "kingpin's dog" because this is how people view us apparently, out of ignorance. (not talking about you shoka)

When i shared one of your (shoka) team to a trustworthy friend who asked for it, i asked for permission beforehand and waited several minutes/hours (i dont remember what time exactly) and tagged every relevant people on the discord to make sure it was ok and didnt send paste until i had a clear answer, even if the team was pretty standard according to your words and if you said "no" then i wouldn't have sent paste because it is what it is. I don't behave differently with Team France, and since i was told explicitely to not leak stuff, well i don't.

When my captain in a "random french teamtour" banned a team member from our discord because he leaked meaningless part of the team chat, i supported his decision, so i don't see why i should act differently when Ojama does the same for something that's even worse.

In my opinion (and i only speak for myself) the real problem is not that "He made the unbearable mistake of sharing one of Ojama's BW team to Welliou, who is a fellow blacklisted guy." but rather that "He made the unbearable mistake of sharing one of Ojama's BW team", and from what i understood, it wasn't just "one team", on top of that, the team has aslo been shared to players from another countries, and it doesn't take a genius to understand that "players from another countries" will be our opponents in WCOP, so i don't know if it's a very smart idea to give them such informations about us.

To be honest i don't want to play my WCOP games fearing that my opponent knows my 6 mons, they movesets and EVs right from turn 1 lmao.
This is why i support this decision, i didn't know Simia very well, and maybe he was a nice guy, but this decision is fair and if i was on Ojama's position i would have done the same.

Last edited:
This is Smogon, not your excluded from the rest of the world community where people with lack of attention and acknowledgment play against each other to get more self-esteem.
Am I the only one the find this sentence kinda ironic or is it only because I am not taking Pokemon seriously?

This is not a revolution, we're just showing that us, french people, have a lot of contemptuous people in our rank ready to show their fangs and this is great to remind this to the rest of the world once in a while

To the people that want to change TeamFrance, I believe you can do it from the inside. This would be more efficient. You're not bad players so keep training and this will pay up

To Ojama, maybe you do not want to change the way you've been managing TeamFrance and that's fine. However changing the way we would perceive it is more important. Yet I believe you won't do the same mistake twice and wait a few days for the next wcop before posting your so prepared LU which would prevent an entire playerbase to feel disrespected and show the disdain they feel toward you. Quite a questionable move to post your roster so early. Especially for someone that consider himself as a shrewd tactician :)

Love and all hail TeamFrance <3 I'll be your first supporter this year too

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Team Germany Preview

Even with CrashinBoomBang back in the lineup, Germany is still my favorite team in WCoP's history. With headliners like xray, cosine180, and Conflict...they'll do well as always. Some of my friends visited Germany recently and told me they had some of the biggest sausages they've ever seen in their lives. If I were a power bottom like Malekith, I’d move to Germany in a heartbeat.

Lots of new faces (or name changes) on the roster, so I’m only going to provide a preview of the players I have played against or am familiar with. Before writing up the full blown power rankings later, I’ll do my usual due diligence and research everyone to provide as unbiased a ranking as possible.

SM: CrashinBoomBang - average player but not a total liability either. Wouldn’t surprise anyone to see him do something unethical and get tournament banned yet again as soon as the first week of WCoP starts
ORAS: xray - best ORAS OU player on Smogon currently. At worst, he’a still in the top 3 all time. It’s always exciting to watch xray play
BW: Conflict - GSC immediately comes to mind when you think of Conflict. He used to be the king of GSC until Lavos happened. I wouldn’t wanna play Lavos in GSC either, so it’s a wise decision for Conflict to play his second best tier instead
DPP: Fakes - always has been one of the best DPP players around but lacks the ‘intimidation factor’ of his DPP counterparts, such as BKC. There’s a difference between “oh okay, I’m playing Fakes” vs. “oh fuck, I’m playing BKC.” Serious Pokémon players know all too well how important it is to enter a match against an opponent that doesn’t make you shiver like a little bitch

Surprised to see cosine180 as a sub. But I get it, got exams to study for/bills to pay.

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
In the midst of this barbaric quarrel I shall share some positiveness:

After the long overdue break I took, I returned to this tournament with a more positive view, alongside my ever beloved Latinamerican comrades. Despite the circumstances we find ourselves in, it is our duty to own up to our mistakes (though, mostly mine) last year, thrive and go through the qualification phase. I might not be the captain this year, but I made a promise, which I'm still willing to fulfill. If anything, let's all have fun in this tournament, be it as a spectator or a player. Looking forward to playing :D!

Please, I would like to know, once and for all, why Smogon players use to say and think that I’m a « team cancer » so don’t hesitate to tell me!

As long as I can remember, the only « bad things » I did or I said when I was in a team were :

During my last WCoP with France (2014 I think) : We were on Skype back then, I was playing (against WhiteQueen I think, but w/e) and during the game, Ojama (my bad, the Kingpin) and Boudouche said « CLOSE COMBAT THE TENTA » (nice ghosting btw) and while I didn’t really feel like using this move, I ended up clicking on CC because of the pressure. Guess what, I lost and they reproached me chocking the game.

During my last WCoP with Europe (2016) : I said to Pearl that Portugal robbed France during the finals of Euro 2016. I admit that was awful and I apologize for that!

During my last SPL :
- I was litterally forced by the managers and team members to play stall vs BlackOblivion while SM is not a tier I am comfortable with and especially with this archetype I can’t play correctly. During the game what had to happen happened and I choked. I admit I got angry because of all the reproachs I got because of a choice which was not mine, as it happened with France.
- I said to SoulWind that he played a Scarf Chomp weak team.
- I had a dispute with Colchonero (about a DPP team I think). Well, I have to admit here I was at fault and I lost my temper for nothing.

As you can see, those occasions were few and far between, and let a lot of people seem to assume I am a bad guy and stuff. So if someone has evidences of missbehaviors I would not have listed here and is willing to share them in public for the sake of constructive criticism, I would appreciate. Otherwise, I would equally like people to stop calling me out without being able to tell why they do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)