TMR - The MSPaint Reject

Some of your drawings have this kind of noodle-y anatomy that gives the impression that they lack bones. Don't be afraid to make sudden turns or use straighter lines when drawing things, chances are it will still look good. I think you need to work on the smoothness of your lines as well. A lot of the line work in your art is rigid and unrefined. Most notable the last two or three non sketch drawings. The next time you draw something like that try making really rough lines, then just going back to refine or edit them to make them seem smoother before you color.

I think you need to practice drawing the Pokemon in more...boring poses. You need to get a feel for their anatomy, because looking at a lot of your drawings things are very out of proportion. Lets look at Dragonite; his leg looks dislocated from the body and he looks too skinny. Dragonite has this sort of curve around the front of his torso that extends his belly a bit, giving you the impression that Dragonite is a chubby dragon. He's not super slender, and as you go down to his legs he slowly gets wider. Looking at his legs, they look undefined and too large to actually fit on his body, it may just look too large because Dragonite is too skinny.

Lapras just looks odd. Lapras's neck does not feel long enough and it feels like it should be fatter as well. The fins don't curve enough like fins, they look more like oval bulbs that stick out from the body. I think the back fins could stand to be a little smaller and curved.

About your Dynamic scenes, I really can't draw anything from it. They feel static and there is no sense of motion. I should be able to feel that Rotom just got stabbed by Kricketune. It looks more like Kricketune is nonchalantly sticking his hand through Rotom, and Rotom is doing nothing about it. I suggest it you want to continue drawing dynamic scenes that you look up a reference for it.

Look up people doing the motion your trying to duplicate, find a similar motion, hell, look at comic books since they generally do the same. Look at the first panel. This would have been the perfect reference in the Kricketune vs Rotom. When trying to draw dynamic scenes like that you need to look at things like perspective and camera angle. You need to sketch out the general pose then overlap the skeleton with the characters themselves. Sketching out the skeleton will give you a good idea of how you want it to look and the motion your trying to portray.

The sketches from the sketch book are nice, but they don't really look like Pokemon to me. I like the stingray the most. When trying to draw Pokemon, look up references to the animal your basing it off of and look up some history behind it, to get a good idea of any folklore or fairy tales you can use or abuse in the evolutions or initial design of the Pokemon.

Oh, and for your image thing, I would suggest linking them in some part of the post and having the newest ones the only ones displayed as an actual image.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, sorry for not updating this...

So, yeah, since I don't have much drawing time nowadays I generally just confine stuff to The Smog, but for the last few issues I have had quite a few problems. For example, for Issue #13 (which is just released, and I encourage you all to read it as it really is very good this time), I did artwork for four articles. The Bug-type analysis was cancelled, 'Competitive Surprises of Gen V' and 'Up-and-coming Pokemon' were started and never finished, and 'TCG: Triumphant!' is in the issue but strangely somebody forgot to upload my artwork with it. My luck is awful...

Anyway, Swaggersaurus has generously given me permission to make these public, and hopefully you won't hate me for leaving you all :)

Competitive Surprises of Gen V - Ononokusu (The Smog)

NB. this was done before any non-blurry images of Ononokusu existed, so yeah

Type Analysis: Bug - Denchura, Iwaparesu, Agirudaa, Shubarugo (The Smog)

Up-and-coming Pokemon - Sazandora (The Smog)

TCG: Triumphant! - Absol PRIME and Yanmega PRIME, Magnezone PRIME with Junk Arm

NB. They're shiny because they're PRIME. Obviously.

Oh, and:

Just looked like all of it, and I must say it's great. How did you actually make it? Just normal MS Paint? With a tablet? How?
Just MS Paint, with a dodgy touchpad (much worse than a mouse) and a laggy computer. As far as digital art goes, it's not great, but I like it.

Last but not least, a very Merry Christmas to one and all! I don't have any special Christmas art for you (sorry) but still, season's greetings. Maybe for the New Year...

Great stuff. I've noticed a lot of your art is Pokemon pwning the opponent who would normally have a type advantage over the attacker, pretty cool stuff :D

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
HEY GUYS I'M NOT DEAD YET

yeah I got some free time so I decided to do/upload some stuff

seems odd to be uploading rubbish like this when every other artist in the forum is going for as many luvdiscs as they can but anyway

The above two are just doodles that I did randomly while bored in class, which I then decided to colour in (couldn't be bothered to ink them though). Since they're just spur of the moment things I didn't feel like doing too much with them (plus they were both done on lined paper which is pretty limiting as a material), but now that I've got two characters I might do a comic or something with them (since I rather like them, in a way) or maybe some more drawings. I prefer pencil to MSPaint anyway.

That's not to say I haven't been doing anything in MSPaint, either. Since I had some free time today, I decided it would be nice to do some artwork of some Gen 5 Pokemon that I actually liked. While thinking about this, I realised that I had never done any artwork of my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon, Genesect (Oh come on it's a robot beetle with a cannon on it's head, best thing since Ho-oh wings), and my most hated Gen 5 Pokemon, Meloetta (and I really do hate it quite a bit). So, without further ado, TECHNO BUSTER!!!!!!!

Man, I'm out of practice. It's really a shame that Techno Buster is such a rubbish move, really. They could have at least made it 120 power... or at least make the cassettes boost that move. Still, here's my take on it, a generic digital signal-style attack. But on the other hand, this also showcases something in the relationship between Meloetta and Genesect: That of Analog vs. Digital. Personally, I think that this ties in extremely well with the general theme of the 5th Gen legendaries, in that the whole thing is about the old vs. the new, as with Reshiram vs. Zekrom and all that. It really is rather marvellous.

Oh and I suppose I'd better do an unbiased version so that Yilx doesn't murder me in my sleep...

So, what's up next? I probably won't update this for some time, but on the other hand, CAP has just restarted, so I'll probably get in on that. Also, I've solved the problem of nobody using the artwork I did for their Smog articles: I wrote my own article for the Smog and did the artwork for that. I hope you'll all read it when it comes out (the whole Smog not just my article), it should be a cracker.

Carry on.

Can I please have a solo Regice (your Regice kick ass)? Your art is really original and great! My favourite has to be the Suspect Courtroom.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Wow I'm actually updating this

Can I please have a solo Regice (your Regice kick ass)? Your art is really original and great! My favourite has to be the Suspect Courtroom.
Excellent, a request!

(1.5 hours later)

Wasn't entirely sure what you were after with solo Regice, I'd already done it in its very few poses, so I went for the action-ish shot without compromising the icy goodness of the Pokemon itself. So, here's the result. Regice seems to fire some kind of Bolt-Beam combination, which I tried multiple forms of but settled for the one here. I'm not entirely impressed with the result... the Pokemon and the effects are okay, but it's pretty blank without a background. And that's bad because I can't do backgrounds for toffee.

If you don't like this and want me to add a background, I'm more than happy to try, but don't expect too much from the end result.

-----------------------------

In other news, I posted something in the writing thread, but since that's basically dead, I might as well post it here as well.

There is little to be said for the days that followed, but that Hereward continued to ponder over that which he had long pondered. Joy and strife alike were foreign to him, and by his creed constancy was his watchword. And yet still he was human, and had not passed to that stage beyond where emotion is too complex to be imaginable, nor to the primordial state where emotion and instinct were one, whatever he himself imagined. He was desirous of something more, if not to embrace the ways of his peers then at least to understand them. Even more fundamental to him than his distaste for inconsistency was his distaste for ignorance, and if his want of knowledge did not appeal to him then certainly his reluctance to ignore what was before him did.

And certainly I am not ignorant, he would assert to himself. I maintain an understanding of them that far exceeds their own. Or do I? And still I am cynical. I must be, if I am to see that which those so much more accustomed to these flavours cannot. Poor children… what can I think of them? They follow their paths… their own paths… the paths are identical… but the people are not. Somehow… I am sure of that. That much I know. They are too… competitive… to be identical.

Hereward was certainly not a stranger to his friends and their ways, despite his isolation. He had watched them for two and a half years, every three weeks or so claiming that he had discovered everything about them that there was to know. And yet still they were ever changing, never remaining still. Their habits and mannerisms never seemed different until one considered their first impressions. Take Gareth, for example. He had been a portly boy of thirteen upon first meeting, greatly critical of those that performed, as he called them, ‘indignities’ and upset the wellbeing of the common room. Now the first impression one received of him was simply as another of Vincent’s hangers-on. Each once had their own mannerisms and traits, swallowed in a toxic cocktail of conformity, disillusionment and testosterone. I see them as shallow, but what if who they once were lurks just below the surface? Perhaps there is fifteen years’ worth of depth to them after all, rather than the featureless, standardised façade of misguided social desire that they wish others to take them for.

Certainly Hereward was not the social virgin he professed to be. His curiosity aroused that much. He would speak a great deal, though rarely unless spoken to, and relapse into a comatose state of narrow-eyed glaring that seemed incomprehensible to those around him. This was when Hereward found himself in greatest danger, that he might reveal himself to others around him. He would speak and then be silent, professing to watch and be watched but finding the allure of a clever comment oft-irresistible. Then he would retreat to his shell, reinforcing his mind with powerful absence, a vacuum that protected from the incoherent chatter around him. And as such he never quite knew what the result of his comment was, nor how the conversation died.

A most general assessment of the situation, therefore, would be that Hereward had decided to take a more direct interest in proceedings as they unfolded. This would, of course, be most unfair and untrue. He had, as previously mentioned, always been observing his companions closely, smiling and shaking his head when his prophesied conclusion came to pass, and some disastrous occurrence had fallen upon some poor wretch’s head. Equally, he had been most puzzled when nothing like his fabled wounds in society had happened, and indeed the whole affair having been sorted in private, no man nor woman any the worse for it.

Furthermore, while he was content to sit and sigh at the many foolhardy exploits of his peers, the world as it so often is was not content to let him do so. Called upon to speak in his lessons or provide some service to a fellow soul in need, his duties were discharged with promptly. But further from that, a most cruel world had a habit of dropping him into the black threads of the social web at the least convenient times, causing him to liaise with his peers on behalf of some function that required attention, ordering quiet in the common room, or else muttering half-formed complaints about the decorations put up for the latest communal event. Indeed he was not quite so detached and absent as he believed himself to be, and so very few people on the outside saw him even as any more than the loner he set his standard by.
Do not let us intimate that he was in any way deluded or living a lie, however. If his social detachment conformed not to his ideals, then his mental detachment certainly did, and he was of no illusions regarding that which was his and his alone. He wore and ate what he was given, and detested the necessity of choice. Neither did he drink alcohol or smoke tobacco, and resented the application of peer pressure. More than anything else, he saw in people’s innocent activities their higher applications.

This is an extract from a short novel I was writing, which I feel is one of the better descriptive bits. By which I mean, it pretty much stands on its own, and you don't need to know an awful lot about the rest of the book to understand what it's driving at. This was done for a school creative writing prize, with a title of 'Fashion', which is somewhat limiting but whatever. Most of the book was written while I was half-comatose; it got pretty tough to keep writing after a while (and I really started to passionately hate my main character, which is never a good thing).

I might try to get this published someday, but don't expect to see this in the shops any time soon. Still, if you want to give some input on it...

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i am in loooove with your style, and love the animated venomoth using psychic, i thought that was really cool. your gyarados in the water looks like one of your cleanest executions, along with your most recent Regice, which may be one of your best yet as far as design and idea execution. i also love NINJASK USED AERIAL ACE!

it seems like whenever you draw regice (regi rock band/ king regice?) it's very well done. you like your simple shapes!

if i may be so bold as to make a request, i would love to see Rotom tricking a Sticky Barb to blissey. that's something I always loved to do in the old OU days.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
i am in loooove with your style, and love the animated venomoth using psychic, i thought that was really cool. your gyarados in the water looks like one of your cleanest executions, along with your most recent Regice, which may be one of your best yet as far as design and idea execution. i also love NINJASK USED AERIAL ACE!

it seems like whenever you draw regice (regi rock band/ king regice?) it's very well done. you like your simple shapes!

if i may be so bold as to make a request, i would love to see Rotom tricking a Sticky Barb to blissey. that's something I always loved to do in the old OU days.
Thanks!

As for the request... there were so many possible ways I could have done this and rather predictably I picked the most cheesy of all of them.

Not great... still, I hope you're happy with it.[/QUOTE]

02/03/11 said:
SHAMELESS ART BUMP

Hey everybody, the Smog came out today! Three cheers!

Doubtless you already know about this from looking at other art threads, but I'm still undermining their efforts to make the site look professional by insisting on posting this rubbish.

Behold, the most irritating image ever in the Smog! Also probably the first animation, but whatever. Even if my chosen medium does not yield particularly good results compared to just about everybody else in Smeargle's Studio, I still enjoyed making these, if only because it allows me to make art without considerable exertion (unlike, say, a more skilful pencil drawing). These were done for my first article ever, Born to Survive, which I encourage you to all read. I also have another article in there (which I also encourage you to read).

But still, please do go and read the Smog in its entirety. There's lots of good stuff in there. On another note, I write way too much for SS.
13/03/11 said:
Posting this here since I might get some comments on it

Concept for CAP1.

Thoughts?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Hey guys I'm bumping this again

Hope none of the mods mind but I soft-deleted the posts above mine to avoid quadruple-posting, which as we all know just isn't right.

Anyway, I've only got a few exams left so I decided to waste my time on this rubbish. Firstly, as I'm sure you can see, I've revamped the OP to include most-everything I've done on Smogon as well as updating the anchor tags to make a kind of index that allows quick and easy movement about the thread.

Here's an entirely generic picture from the BATTLE FREE FOR ALL thread, which I've been wanting to join for a while now but whatever

Seviper's eyes and general facial design make it rather difficult to portray the choking emotion so greatly patronised in our much-loved children's cartoons, so I decided to distract the viewer from this unfortunate fact with some sparks and things in Registeel's left hand. Fun fun fun. For some reason I covered my computer's touchscreen in disinfectant the other day, which I've discovered also works as a lubricating agent, and thus I found it pretty much impossible to draw straight lines accurately without meticulous attention to detail (and let's face it, I'm not very good at that).

With that being over:

(Full size can be found here) ~ WARNING VERY LARGE IMAGE

Yes, a tribute to my recently finished White game, in all of its glory! Shame I didn't have more time to play around with these games, but then my temperament isn't really suited to Pokemon games, as I tend to find myself level-grinding to a ridiculous extent as a result of insecurity about my team's performance. To put that another way, I find myself making up imaginary quotas - All my Pokemon had to be level 30 before I challenged Burgh, likewise 40 before Skyla, and for some reason 60 before the Elite 4. Net result, there weren't really very many challenging situations (and I could get away with Leaf Tornado spam on Emerald). Not that it really mattered, since inevitably most of my team had a habit of killing themselves during level-grinding anyway. As you may have guessed, this was not a Nuzlocke or anything interesting like that.

Anyway, the team. A perfect mix of stuff that looks nasty and stuff that actually works, with few overlapping typings, then named for their colour (to a degree of accuracy). And yes, I pretty much planned what I was going to get before I started the game, gave them names, moves, the whole lot. I'm kind of weird like that. The team followed pretty strict guidelines - all of the Pokemon had to be either evil-looking or actually useful, or both, correspond to a particular colour, not overlap in coverage with something else, and they should not be the main Pokemon of any notable in-game trainer (ie. Gym Leaders, rivals, Ghetsis), and preferably not used at all. The size of the Pokemon in the picture pretty much qualifies how good they were on my run, so to speak. The somewhat irritating Burgundy, the obnoxious Scarlet, the vociferous Crimson, the insane Azure, the pathetic Amber and the rather attractive Emerald.

So, to start. All of the starters are rubbish so I went with the best-looking, and after copious soft-resets managed to get a female Naive one. Joyous of days. It was christened Emerald, as that's the best shade of green. Then we run into a Hasty Scolipede in Pinwheel Forest, picked for the sole reason that it looks awesome. It was completely useless as a Venipede, still pretty much trash as a Whirlipede, and stopped being effective pretty much immediately after it evolved. Still, STAB Megahorn came in handy when I got it, which predictably took ages. Yes, I know that Scolipede is not actually burgundy, but I couldn't resist the pun on the word "bug". Now that I think of it, that's pretty much the only reason I put up with Burgundy for so long. Next comes Scarlet the Victini. Apocalyptically slow to level up, and I couldn't even get a decent nature. It also refused to be caught for ages and makes me cringe when I look at it. But most importantly, I only thought about calling it "Churchill" when it was too late. Still, if I ever needed to bulldoze through something, she was there. Bit cheap though. Crimson the Krookodile kind-of counters out the red bias of Scarlet if you look at it in a certain way (ie. My own warped and twisted way).

Crimson and Azure pretty much followed one another, as evidenced by their catch locations. Fortunately I managed to get a decent nature for both of them, and they were both more or less the best Pokemon on my team, as well as having the perfect mix of aesthetics and performance. Even if both had a tendency to die when most needed. Lastly, we have Amber the Galvantula. Came stupidly late, bad nature, dies to everything. Still, could have been worse. For some reason that I still can barely fathom, his Attack is actually higher than his Special Attack, despite the Rash nature. Which, while helpful when he had no special moves, turned out to be rather a slap to the face after a while. If you're wondering why he has Thunder Wave and Spider Web, that was done in order to trap Thundurus, which was great since not only could it be trapped and paralysed, but Amber resists both of Thundurus's attacks (Revenge and Shock Wave).

And the bloke in the middle of the picture? Well, I'm not sure what that is, but it was more of an attempt to experiment a little bit, since one of my biggest failings as an artist is that I simply cannot draw people, of any sort (or clothes for that matter), in any medium at all. Which is slightly limiting in the art world. So, I had a bit of practice, and after roughly my fiftieth attempt, I ended up hiding the bits I couldn't do (ie. the hands and feet) and obscuring the figure inside a large trench coat of dubious colour scheme. The face was also troublesome, but since that can't really be obscured, I did my best with it. The trouble is that whenever I try to draw a face it either turns out extremely sinister or rather robotic (though this mostly applies to human faces).

As for who it is, I suppose that I based most of the features on myself, though obviously I don't look very much like that. If I'm being brutally honest with myself, I'd say it more resembles the person I think I am - what I think of my own appearance in my moments of fleeting vanity, without pockmarks or dark patches under the eyes or greasy hair - in short, what I could look like if I took some kind of interest in my own personal appearance. Bleh.

Yeah so this place is open for whatever again. Hopefully I can update it with the stuff I did for Issue #15 of the Smog soon, assuming it comes out sooner or later. Here's hoping.

WOW Regice, sorry I didn't check back again! XD I feel so awful now. But that Regice...oh my...I do love it quite a lot. Thanks a heap!BoltBeam is beautiful. Also Blissey being tricked is amazing...I think I neglected to Disc you before, so I'll do it now!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Hey look guys the Smog is out

Go read it

LC Suspect Testing art:

If you want to know what I was thinking when I drew these... I don't know. I really don't.

A Pokemon Parable:

And yet another alternative article by me. If you can call it an article. A prize to anybody who gets all the hidden jokes.

And if you didn't find it funny, then I'm deeply sorry. I have a weird sense of humour. Meh. Apologies for the minimalistic (read: extraordinarily lazy) art style done for these pictures, but if I'm honest I didn't have much time on my hands and I found them funnier when they looked more cartoony, as it were.

Oh and three cheers for Rising_Dusk for getting the issue up.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Bumping ye great worthless pile of trash

So I thought I'd persist with my foolhardy attempts to draw things in MSPaint that are almost impossible to do without skills I don't have or time I can't afford

Kabutops still is one of the best-looking Pokemon in the game. I was going to do this alongside a Fire-type Pokemon doing something or other but then I got bored and left it as a standalone

Yeah I've been rather out of inspiration for a while now, and free time isn't too expendable either (these are my excuses and I'm sticking to them).

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
It's that time of the three-month rotational calendar again

Firstly, Smog stuff:

Couple of "typical" teams atop platforms supported by Rapid Spinners. At least, that's always how I've envisaged rotation battles. This was done for "Introduction to Rotation Battles" by Destiny Warrior, if anyone's interested.

Second:

Probably more ambitious than most of the stuff I've put in this thread. I think I got the rock texture/sun effects done all right, though possibly the shading on Caterpie needs some work. Yet again let down by the lines in paint. Probably would have been better to cut out the lines altogether... and now that I think about it it would have been easier to get a palette off the internet than to make the entire freaking thing by hand... oh and I also saved it as a .jpeg by accident, but it looked ok so I just put it up as it was.

Hope you like. I find it touching in a weird way. Perhaps someday you will all be beautiful Butterfree too...

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
It's CAP time!

Direct repost because I'm lazy:

YEEEEAH let's go

Based on the titan arum flower, also known as the "corpse plant". So, reasonably good choice for a Grass/Ghost 'mon.

(It is also known as the "giant misshapen phallus flower", but nothing's perfect)

Here are four different renditions of the idea I'm considering. Basically a Ghost trapped inside the big plant, which can manipulate its plasma-body to control the vines/leaves/etc, as well as change its body plasma to any material of its choosing. Hence, Sketch.

Not sure how much stuff I should have going on in the picture since atm it's looking a bit, well, overburdened with stuff. Ideas are helpful here.
Also updated:

Comments here are appreciated since I fully expect this lot to get totally lost in the main art thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)