#trivia

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Huge thanks to Bummer for the amazing artwork on such short notice!

Are you a man or ladyman that prides themselves in their knowledge of the obscure, the detailed or the down right trivial? Do you know the name of every president's dog or every time an Exeggutor has appeared in the anime? Then come join us in #trivia for the weekly trivia challenge hosted by Great Sage, Exeggutor and yours truly. We'll have new themes every week and prizes for those who do particularly well. Since this is Pokemon Showdown! affiliated, there may even be a promotion down the line!

The first trivia night was Pokemon-themed and was won by Raseri in an impressive display. The next one is General Knowledge and will be held on Wednesday at 5-6pm EST (that's 10-11pm GMT or Thursday at 9-10am ADST). We'll be using this thread to announce the themes and dates for any upcoming trivia challenges as well as announce the winner of each challenge.

Additionally, if you're interested in helping us out with writing trivia questions, just shoot one of the hosts a pm and we'll be more than happy to have you on board.

Get excited and tell your friends!

Just to clarify, how many questions are there (roughly) for the trivia. I imagine you cut down the questions of lesser quality.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to clarify, how many questions are there (roughly) for the trivia. I imagine you cut down the questions of lesser quality.
As many questions as you can get in during the hour, Last time we got roughly 40 questions in, And the heads decide what questions are asked, well greatsage decides that mostly.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
RULES

1. You could in theory look up many of the answers quickly, but there is no fun in that. Remember, trivia night is supposed to be fun, not a war of who can google faster.
  2. Do not be disruptive or rude. There will be disorganized moments when everyone is trying to answer a question, but if everyone tries to keep himself in control, we will have a much better time. Excessive rowdiness will lead to ejection.
  3. All decisions as to who answered a particular question first are FINAL. Sometimes, the order of IRC lines appears different for different people due to lag; please do not be angry about this if it affects you negatively.
  4. You may answer a question only once. If you post multiple times, only your first post will be counted. If you are answering a question that has multiple answers, you must give all of your answers in one posting.
  5. Answers must be spelled correctly, but capitalization is not required unless it is necessary for specificity.
  6. If you are ejected from the channel, your points for the night are voided.
SCORING

1. A single-answer question is worth one point.
  2. A multiple-answer question is worth one point for each answer. A player may earn points even if someone has provided one of the answers if the player gives an answer not previously supplied.
  3. Some questions have special scoring; these will be rare and be announced as they come.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
Answering practically a third of the questions, zfs was today's winner with a truly astounding display. He earned himself % in #trivia as well as the people's respect and adoration. These were the results:

1. zfs 15
  2. cbt 7
  3. RODAN 5
  4. Evil_am 4
  5. Solace 4
  6. WaterBomb 3
  7. WasSolDas 2
  8. GreatMisery 2
  9. username4 2
  10. JibaNOTHERE 1
  11. specsx 1
  12. shnen 1
  13. Aquaaa 1
  14. DTC 1
We'll keep you posted about the details of the next trivia challenge as soon as we've locked them down.

PS. We would also particularly like to thank Relados, Bohr Magneton, Mikel, phoopes and Eagle4 for helping out with the questions.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I know the trivia's in like a week's time, but may I suggest holding it a bit later? I know you're trying to make it convenient for the European guys, but if it could be around 9-10 or 10-11PM EST, that'd be great.

But yeah, my perspective's kinda biased because I don't want to wake up at 5am for trivia :/

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
The times will vary. We have to do it at a time convenient for the Americas, since that's where most of the userbase is; this means we can't please both Europeans and Oceanians simultaneously. The time for trivia #2 was intentionally better for Europeans, because the time for trivia #1 was better for Oceanians.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
I'm pleased to announce that we'll be hosting another Pokemon themed trivia night on Friday at 5-6pm EST (10-11pm GMT or Saturday at 9-10am ADST). This time was picked to ensure that all the general knowledge nights weren't aimed at Europeans and Pokemon at the Aussies. Don't fret, we'll make sure that the next one suits people like Level 51 a little better. As always, it will be held in #trivia on synIRC. If you can't figure that out in time, this handy link should take you straight there.
This is awesomeness manifest.
So make sure to spread the word!

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
And would you look at that, cbt once again impressing us all with his knowledge of the trivial and the bizarre. The results of this week's Pokemon Trivia Night were as follows:

1. cbt - 11
  2. shnen - 9
  3. zdrup15 - 5
  4. jas61292 - 4
  5. WasSollDas - 4
  6. firemage - 4
  7. citro - 4
  8. aquaaa - 3
  9. blazer - 2
  10. nozzle - 2
  11. iceeguy - 2
  12. vileman - 2
  13. zfs - 2
  14. imanalt - 2
  15. bagheera - 2
  16. celever - 1
Questions used.

We should be hosting another General Knowledge Trivia Night in a week's time. Once again, I'll keep you posted with the deets.

Oh and of course, huge thanks to Marty an MJB for helping out on such short notice!

Lol this was actually pretty good. I think everyone should try at least once to see how it feels. Great competition too as you can see (cbt is now a suspect and I think he'll be banned as soon as the round ends so it'll be pretty even from there on xD).

Mizuhime

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just an update for you guys, Trivia will be hosted tomorrow night (Saturday November 24th) from 10pm-11pm est. The theme will be History so be ready, see you there! It will be located in the same spot that it always is #triva on IRC

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Exeggutor's computer crashed or something, so scores for everyone were lost. However, I looked back and at least got the Top 5, so that's something.

1. Engineer- 8
T2. zfs- 7
T2. phoopes- 7
T2. DatCoconut- 7
5. Mysteria (or Mysterious, something like that. Can't remember the username exactly...)- 6

So yeah, well played, everyone. Congrats to Engineer.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
Up next we have the biweekly Pokemon themed trivia night on Sunday at 5-6pm EST (10-11pm GMT or Monday at 9-10am ADST). As always, pop by #trivia on synIRC to join in the fun!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
And here are the scores ^.^

1. Raseri / 6
  2. zfs / 4
  3. cbt / 4
  4. woodchuck / 3
  5. mib_syvw2p / 2
  6. Texas / 2
  7. phoopes / 2
  8. Hulavuta / 2
  9. Sythril / 1
  10. Showsni / 1
  11. Outlaw_4 / 1
  12. Coronis / 1
  13. DHR / 1
  14. Level 51 / 1
Thanks to phoopes for keeping score and congratulations to Raseri!

(BS lag messed everything up though, ugh :()

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, thank you to Level-51 for posting the scores that I missed since everyone was lagging. Those are basically the final results up there. Congratulations and thank you to everyone who participated!

Mizuhime

i'm sorry the lag that we experienced this week, I had a feeling it was going to happen that's why I didn't exactly want to host, but all in all it still went fairly well. We will see you next time guys,the topic and time have yet to be decided stay posted for more info :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)