Turbomons

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
approved by The Eevee General
Not an OM so much as a lifestyle choice. This isn't proposing a change to any existing rulesets in terms of bans, etc. Rather, the goal is to make Pokemon a more exciting spectator sport. One of the things that fellow founder KyleCole and I thought made Pokemon a poor spectator sport is that it can drag on forever, with 100+ turn games and lengthy turns where people spend time endlessly calcing and stuff (or getting ghosted) which makes for a very boring viewing experience. What makes the game so fun to play irl as kids is that you just go with moves and see what happens, not pouring through a million calcs and stuff. Also, that sort of thing is incredibly boring to watch. As a solution, we bring you Turbomons:

Rules:
  • This is played in Standard OU, or standard Random Battles, or Standard Tier Shift, or. well, you get the idea. Since the timer is programmed into the server as opposed to being metagame specific, any tier can be played Turbomons style!
  • The main rule is that you get 10 seconds to choose each move
  • Also, you can't use the cancel button. Whatever move you make is final, so choose wisely (but quickly).
  • Animations are disabled in order to avoid wasting time.
  • If you time out, you lose the match.
  • Games are played at Fusx's server, where the shortened timer is in place for every metagame (so you don't have to play OU to take advantage!)
This is a work in progress, so we're always open to suggestions and may be tweaking this metagame. The rules might also be adjusted slightly based on whatever programming constraints come up. Otherwise though that's it. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
approved by The Eevee General
Not an OM so much as a lifestyle choice. This isn't proposing a change to any existing rulesets in terms of bans, etc. Rather, the goal is to make Pokemon a more exciting spectator sport. One of the things that fellow founder KyleCole and I thought made Pokemon a poor spectator sport is that it can drag on forever, with 100+ turn games and lengthy turns where people spend time endlessly calcing and stuff (or getting ghosted) which makes for a very boring viewing experience. What makes the game so fun to play irl as kids is that you just go with moves and see what happens, not pouring through a million calcs and stuff. Also, that sort of thing is incredibly boring to watch. As a solution, we bring you Turbomons:

Rules:
  • This is played in Standard OU, so all OU rules apply
  • The main rule is that you get 5 seconds to choose each move
  • Also, you can't use the cancel button. Whatever move you make is final, so choose wisely (but quickly).
  • Animations wouldn't count towards ones time allotted per turn.
  • If you time out, you lose the match. 30 seconds after you timed out it will scan to see whether you've DC'd or just took too long to choose a move. If you DC'd then you will be given an opportunity to reconnect.
This is a work in progress, so we're always open to suggestions and may be tweaking this metagame. The rules might also be adjusted slightly based on whatever programming constraints come up. Otherwise though that's it. Enjoy!
rename to audio mons pls, don't humble brag in PM convo for nothing :)

anyways stall is still possible, you just have to be the smartest and best stall player alive to think that fast with stall, so I'm joining :]. Anyways it's cool you noticed the reason why games drag on is not the turns, but how long the turns are. An observation many people cannot make, cool for you.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is the sort of meta that needs to be put to epic music.
I really like this idea!

Another fun idea might be where you are given a starting time-pool of like 30 seconds, and the time you spend picking a move doesn't carry over to the next turn.
Like if you spend 10 seconds on turn one, you only have 20 seconds to spend on turn two and so on.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is the sort of meta that needs to be put to epic music.
I really like this idea!

Another fun idea might be where you are given a starting time-pool of like 30 seconds, and the time you spend picking a move doesn't carry over to the next turn.
Like if you spend 10 seconds on turn one, you only have 20 seconds to spend on turn two and so on.
that doesnt solve the problem for two reasons. one is that people might time out after only a few turns which is not fun, and the other is that the pool means that a person could potentially drag out one turn in particular, which goes against what the metagame is trying to accomplish and makes for boring viewing

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
that doesnt solve the problem for two reasons. one is that people might time out after only a few turns which is not fun, and the other is that the pool means that a person could potentially drag out one turn in particular, which goes against what the metagame is trying to accomplish and makes for boring viewing
Thats true. I was basically thinking of any possible ways you could "reward" players for making faster decisions but I guess, in the end, its doesn't really matter.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
Another update:
  • This metagame is now playable at Fusx's Server. If the idea of playing with a short timer is cool but having to play OU is unappealing, never fear. The timer is in place for all metagames on this server, so you can play with your favorite metagames.
  • Be sure to disable animations to avoid needless time wastes

oml i am so ready to play this in NU! it should be so awesome there especially since a lot of mons are so offensive and play 1 dimensionally

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
Man this'll be great.
"Wait why'd you use fire blast on my Heatran"
"I DONT KNOW"
Also chatting midbattle would be tough.
yeah true, but it's made even more fun when you can get people to watch you (preferably the talkative kind) since having an active crowd of spectators adds to the fun from my experience and makes up for not bein able to talk trash chat yourself. you can always chat postgame too

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
I would like to see this made into doubles but with a longer time limit (say 15). It would make for a very intense and fast paced thinking game. with so many pokemon on screen it would be amazing I imagine... Just wait til Triples :O.

Fusxfaranto

gonna smoke five blunts and watch anime
I would like to see this made into doubles but with a longer time limit (say 15). It would make for a very intense and fast paced thinking game. with so many pokemon on screen it would be amazing I imagine... Just wait til Triples :O.
I haven't implemented it, but I know that it's possible (from when I originally made this like a year ago lol), so if there's sufficient demand I can make the time variable based on the tier. Also tempted to have 5 second hyperturbo variants for popular tiers...

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From playing this by challenge with audio and someone else (forgot who), the timer is fine. Even with me clicking as soon as possible, i could make average plays and enough predictions for it to be fun and risky. Playing it on another server would probably be better if you consider lag.

I imagine people will play more offensively as it fits in with the fast pace of the game and imo, takes less time to think of a move. This will help volturn offence (goddam offensive pivots) as it is quite simple to click 'uturn', forces the opponent to make riskier plays (which they have less time to think about), gains momentum and can punish the opp if they make a mistake.

I had enough time trash talk my opp's while playing - just type fast :3

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Only just saw this but I'm very excited to get into this. I'd love to play a game of this in LC since LC is already a rather fast-paced tier. I could say the same for Ubers, since those are the main two tiers I play. Excellent concept.

Like No Preview, this is another meta that Zoroark should shine in, as your opponent does not have the time to debate whether or not its facing an Illusion, and is more prone to mistakes on that front.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I've been playing this with a few friends and it's very fun, my monotype team scored a number of victories. However in this game (I know it doesn't show the timer) NotPocketKandy was only given 4 seconds to choose a switch-in for some reason, I guess there was a glitch in the programming because the timer seemed to carry on from his remaining time earlier in the turn? In any case it's very fun, I don't suppose it will be implemented on the main server in custom games at all? Or any server that doesn't use comic sans?

Edit: Here's an example of the timer not giving enough time. http://snag.gy/lQUSG.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)