TV & Films Recommendations

Show: Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic
Synopsis (stolen from Netflix's S1E1): Swept from her safe burrow, Kipo emerges in a wild surface world full of weird mutant animals. Will her new friends Wolf and Mandu help her get home?

An Idiot Abroad

Genre: Comedy, Adventure, Travel

Desc: Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, are behind this eight-episode practical joke-turned-sociology experiment. It features Gervais and Merchant surprising their friend, the close-minded and simple Karl Pilkington, with a trip around the world to visit the Seven Wonders. It's a dream journey for most, but Pilkington has reservations, to say the least, especially considering Gervais and Merchant want him to become `one with the locals' at each stop.

Definitely a funny watch

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 6th to February 12th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure, Family, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: A young boy named Kubo must locate a magical suit of armour worn by his late father in order to defeat a vengeful spirit from the past.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Rush Hour
Genre: Action, Comedy
Description: The ultimate buddy cop/culture clash film in my opinion. Full of great action, witty/slapstick humour, hilarious dialogue and amazing on-screen chemistry between Chris Tucker and my all-time favourite actor, Jackie Chan (the GOAT).

Just thought it was about that time I bumped a Jackie Chan flick for the thread!

@ Buffy
Film:
The Prestige
Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure
Description: An absolute gem from Christopher Nolan. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman star as rivaling magicians
with Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall, and David Bowie as supporting cast. Brilliantly written, shot and directed, Nolan once again shows why he's such a dynamic director (and my favorite). It is sneakily a star studded film, because it is such high quality that the actors seem completely the part they're playing. It's just an incredible film all around.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Gone Baby Gone (2007)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Two Boston area detectives investigate a little girl's kidnapping, which ultimately turns into a crisis both professionally and personally.

+Chunko
Film:
Dead Snow
Genre: Horror, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A ski vacation turns horrific for a group of medical students, as they find themselves confronted by an unimaginable menace: Nazi zombies.

Television

+Bondie
TV show:
Peep Show
Genre: English Comedy, Cringe Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Mark and Jez are a couple of twenty-something roommates who have nothing in common - except for the fact that their lives are anything but normal. Mayhem ensues as the pair strive to cope with day-to-day life.

+Zipzapadam
TV show:
Abbott Elementary
Genre: Comedy, Mockumentary
IMDb Synopsis: Follows a group of teachers brought together in one of the worst public schools in the country, simply because they love teaching.

Last edited:
Film: Monty Python's Life of Brian

Genre: Satire, Comedy

IMDb Synopsis: A young man, Brian, who was born one stable down and on the same night as Jesus, becomes intrigued by a young rebel, Judith. To try and impress her, Brian joins the independence movement against the Romans, the People's Front of Judea. However, in an attempt to hide from the Romans, he relays some of the teachings he heard from Jesus, which ends up spurring a crowd to believe he is the Messiah. While trying to get rid of his followers and reunite with Judith, he embarks on several misadventures

It's Monty Python, you always have to love Monty Python.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 13th to February 19th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Brimstone (2016)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller, Western
IMDb Synopsis: From the moment the new reverend climbs the pulpit, Liz knows she and her family are in great danger.

@ Buffy
Film:
Sonic The Hedgehog
Genre: Video Game, Adventure
Description: Had mixed feelings about this heading into it considering this was the first console game I ever played and have always loved Sonic. And while not as good as the video games, this was definitely a very solid and fun watch and well worth seeing. The script was just written fantastically for Sonic's character and they were able to generate an accurate (true to the game), yet concise Sonic story. I'm excited for the upcoming second film and hope it's as good as this first one was!

@ McTowelie
Film:
Team America: World Police
Genre: Action, Comedy, Satire
IMDb Synopsis: Popular Broadway actor Gary Johnston is recruited by the elite counter-terrorism organization Team America: World Police. As the world begins to crumble around him, he must battle with terrorists, celebrities and falling in love.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Open Range (2003)
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance, Western
IMDb Synopsis: A former gunslinger is forced to take up arms again when he and his cattle crew are threatened by a corrupt lawman.

+Chunko
Film:
tick, tick... BOOM!
Genre: Biography, Drama, Musical
IMDb Synopsis: On the cusp of his 30th birthday, a promising young theater composer navigates love, friendship and the pressures of life as an artist in New York City.

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
Reacher
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Description: Reacher is a brand new series that recently dropped on Amazon Prime Video which follows Jack Reacher, the protagonist of the series by author Lee Child. Having no knowledge of the literary version of the character, I can't compare this latest iteration to the source material, but I have it on good authority from book fans I've met in person that this portrayal is much more book-accurate in regards to both the character and the story.

I've been an Alan Ritchson fan since the Blue Mountain State days and would have watched this just to do my part to bump his star status for future projects, but Reacher's first season is quite solid overall. He is compelling on screen, whether he's solving parts of the mystery using facts and logic or gently persuading bad guys to part with sensitive information using nothing but his bare hands or any number of deadly weapons. Looking forward to a second season!

+Zipzapadam
Show:
The League
Genre: Sitcom, Comedy, Sports
IMDb Synopsis: An ensemble comedy that follows a group of old friends in an American fantasy football league who care deeply about one another -- so deeply that they use every opportunity to make each other's lives miserable.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Film: Tall Girl 2
genre: comedy, bad movies
IMDb Synopsis: After Jodi Kreyman gains popularity, her miscommunications start causing rifts with those around her and now she really needs to 'stand tall'.

Not a good movie by any objective standards but at the perfect level of bad to be enjoyed as a bad movie.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 20th to February 26th

Movies

#Soft Flex
Film:
Focus (2015)
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Description: A con man crosses paths with his former protégé and old flame while carrying out the biggest hustle of his "career".

Critic reviews weren't exactly rave (they weren't terrible either), but I'd been wanting to watch this for years after missing my chance in theatres and finally saw it last week. Just a solid crime drama with two stars who are both electric on screen (Will Smith and Margot Robbie), and great performances all around from the supporting cast.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Aus dem Nichts / In the Fade (2017)
Genre: Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Katja's life collapses after the death of her husband and son in a bomb attack. After a time of mourning and injustice, Katja (Diane Krüger) seeks revenge.

+Chunko
Film:
Moneyball
Genre: Sport, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to assemble a baseball team on a lean budget by employing computer-generated analysis to acquire new players.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
The Emperor's New Groove
Genre: Comedy, Adventure, Family
IMDb Synopsis: Emperor Kuzco is turned into a llama by his ex-administrator Yzma, and must now regain his throne with the help of Pacha, the gentle llama herder.

Television

#Buffy
Show:
Nip/Tuck
Genre: Drama, Medical Drama
Description: The show's baseline is that it revolves around 2 men (Christian Troy and Sean McNamara), but their practice is merely a medium for a deeper introspective on real issues and how they lead their lives. The casting is spot on for the main characters and the writing is beautifully done. This is a show that I've always been intrigued by and wanted to try, but thought I wouldn't like because of the medical angle, but truthfully, the medical angle is just a medium for the major parts of the show and there is very little actual surgery/blood, etc. shown. Definitely worth checking out and is currently streaming on Hulu.

@ McTowelie
Show:
Resident Alien
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A crash-landed alien takes on the identity of a small-town Colorado doctor and slowly begins to wrestle with the moral dilemma of his secret mission on Earth.

Last edited:

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Show: I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson.
Genre: Comedy, sketch
about: Show is a collection of sketches, each episode is ~4 sketches together, incredibly funny. Perfect amount of bizarre humor and ridiculous situations, very quotable.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 27th to March 5th

Movies

%TheAura
Movie:
Megamind
Genre: Animation, Action, Comedy
Description: Evil genius Megamind finally defeats his do-gooder nemesis, Metro Man, but is left without a purpose in a superhero-free world. Great take on the superhero genre, check it out if you haven't!

Television

#Buffy
Show:
Arrow
Genre: Superhero, Action, Drama
Description: The show that reignited live action superhero shows in the current era and spawned what is now known as the Arrowverse, is such a thrilling ride and seems so strange that it only lasted 8 seasons. The action is definitely its best quality, but there are some solid moments of character development amongst some of the characters and just overall holds a special place in my heart. The final episode was done beautifully and the villains are also just wonderfully done. Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Caity Lotz, Katie Cassidy and Emily Bett Rickards carry the show.

#Soft Flex
Show:
Bodyguard
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Description: This limited series follows Richard Madden as a personal protection officer for the Home Secretary, with whom his views don't exactly align. Conflicts arise on a political and personal level as he wrestles with the natural challenges of the job itself. A greatly-written series with excellent tension and drama worth checking out for someone looking for a quick binge!

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Euphoria
Genre: Teen Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A look at life for a group of high school students as they grapple with issues of drugs, sex, and violence.

Chunko
Show:
The Good Place
Genre: Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Four people and their otherworldly frienemy struggle in the afterlife to define what it means to be good.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 6th to March 12th

Movies

#Saburo
FIlm:
This Is Where I Leave You (2014)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: After their father passes away, four grown siblings are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens.

+Zipzapadam
FIlm:
The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021)
Genre: Biography
IMDb Synopsis: An intimate look at the extraordinary rise, fall and redemption of televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker.

Chunko
Film:
Cyrano (2022)
Genre: Musical, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Too self-conscious to woo Roxanne himself, wordsmith Cyrano de Bergerac helps young Christian nab her heart through love letters.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Suits
Genre: Drama, Comedy
Description: Mike Ross, a brilliant mind with a photographic memory but also a college dropout, fakes his way into a bar examination testing room and subsequently ends up working for Harvey Specter, one of the best lawyers in New York City, at a firm that exclusively hires Harvard graduates.

I was reluctant to pick up a 9 season show when I was browsing Netflix titles last Monday, but I ended up binging 2 seasons by the weekend without even realizing it because the on-screen performances (Harvey's in particular) are truly captivating. The workplace dynamics and fancy lawyer speech are fun to watch unfold and if you can process a character revelation here and there between all the fast talking the show makes you feel like you've learned something new!

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Mike Tyson Mysteries
Genre: Comedy, Absurd
IMDb Synopsis: In this macabre comedy, retired boxing champion Mike Tyson, his brainy adopted Asian-American daughter, a friendly but wimpy gay gentleman ghost and a cursed perverse mean-spirited talking pigeon solve weird mysteries together.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Show: Drive to Survive
Genre: Documentary
about: Netflix produced show following each season of Formula 1 motor racing, a very good way to get into the sport and partially responsible for the huge growth of F1 in recent years. New set of 10 episodes following the most recent season just released and is vital viewing.

Show: Letterkenny
About: Letterkenny is great in that it follows three distinct groups of people, and their lives in small town rural Canada. While not very familiar with the Country myself, I've found it very relatable and quite funny as I've already binged a few seasons and find myself wanting to watch it as much as I can. The character variety keeps it entertaining, while allowing for positive character growth as the show continues to go on.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 13th to March 19th

Movies

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Elmer Gantry (1960)
Genre: Period Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A fast-talking traveling salesman with a charming, loquacious manner convinces a sincere evangelist that he can be an effective preacher for her cause.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film:
There Will Be Blood
Genre: Period Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A story of family, religion, hatred, oil and madness, focusing on a turn-of-the-century prospector in the early days of the business.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
The Boys
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Description: In light of the recent teaser trailer for the upcoming season 3 on June 3rd, it's time I shed the spotlight once again on my favourite TV show to date!

The Boys is an action-packed thrill ride that follows a ragtag and unlikely group of vigilantes as they attempt to bring down Vought International, a massive and corrupt corporation responsible for managing and promoting the world's licensed superheroes.

The show really has no end of craziness, from wild personalities, superpowers, violence, hilarious characters/character interactions and unpredictable circumstances all around. Highly recommend picking up this show (available on Prime Video) if you haven't already - there's plenty of time to comfortably binge before the new season drops!

S3 teaser trailer:

Show: The Great
Genre(s): Biography, Comedy, Drama, History
Description: This show follows Catherine the Great in her rise to power in Russia. It's similar to GoT in its portrayal of events but brings more humor to the entire history, and doesn't take itself too seriously. It often follows the pattern of comedy first, history second, which can be inaccurate, but entertaining for a part of the world that isn't oft talked about.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Show: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
About: follows a group of friends in the city of Philadelphia who own and run a bar together, full of constant hijinks and laughs. Very reference-able and incredibly long running and consistent.

Film: Belle (2021)
Genre: Adventure, Animation, Science Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: Suzu is a shy high school student living in a rural village. For years, she has only been a shadow of herself. But when she enters "U", a massive virtual world, she escapes into her online persona as Belle, a globally-beloved singer.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 20th to March 26th

Movies

#Soft Flex
Film:
Prisoners
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Description: When the daughters of two neighbourhood families go missing suddenly during a joint dinner, one of the fathers takes it upon himself to press for clues with force when an unlikely lead presents itself but slips through the cracks in paperwork and procedure within the police department. Much to the dismay of a dedicated officer, the two take separate paths that often intersect in the search for the truth.

Denis Villeneuve delivers an excellent slow-burn thriller/mystery (big surprise) here that is backed by outstanding performances from Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Dano. It's a long watch at approx. two and a half hours, but well worth the time as I personally never felt bored or disengaged from the get-go.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Used Cars (1980)
IMDb Synopsis: When the owner of a struggling used car lot is killed, it's up to the lot's hot-shot salesman to save the property from falling into the hands of the owner's ruthless brother and used-car rival.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
The Lighthouse (2019)
Genre: Horror, Psychological Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

skies
Film:
The Invisible Man
Genre: Thriller
Description: A woman runs away from her abusive husband but something invisible follows her around, but no one believes her, so it's one big spiral of her figuring everything out as the world around her finds her crazy.

Television

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Mad Men
Genre: Drama, Historical
IMDb Synopsis: A drama about one of New York's most prestigious ad agencies at the beginning of the 1960s, focusing on one of the firm's most mysterious but extremely talented ad executives, Donald Draper.

+yackback
Show:
Fringe
Genre: Drama, Science Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Description: A well done procedural (at first), with a lot more depth than meets the eye. Fringe follows a group of people who investigate mysteries relating to "fringe" science. Created by J.J. Abrams, starring Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, the incredible John Noble, and scored by Michael Giaccino. Best to go into the pilot as blind as possible.

Last edited:
Film: Airplane (1980)
IMDb Synopsis: A man afraid to fly must ensure that a plane lands safely after the pilots become sick.
This movie is full of witty lines, and great one-liners that I use to this day. While some of the jokes are outdated, the movie is still enjoyable, and a great flic to watch in a little bit of time!

Show: Bridgerton
Genre: Romance, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Wealth, lust, and betrayal set against the backdrop of Regency-era England, seen through the eyes of the powerful Bridgerton family.

If you're looking for the perfect period piece to have angst, romance, and way too much drama then look no further! It's like trashy reality TV, but set in the past, the kind of trashy reality TV that you know is bad and yet you somehow can't look away from the dumpsterfire that it is.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Show: The Challenge
Genre: Reality, Competition
IMDb Synopsis: Past members of "The Real World," "Road Rules," "Are You the One?," first time cast members called 'Fresh Meat,' relatives of these members, and past members from other shows compete against each other for the chance to win a cash prize.

Long running MTV reality show with plenty of returning characters, like survivor but if all the contestants had drama with each other spanning seasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)