Type Reflectors

approved by TEG and TI

[source]
Welcome to Type Reflectors, an OU based metagame! In this tier, your team is ultimately "monotype'd", where everything now shares a type. This is done by taking the primary type of the Pokemon in your first slot (in the teambuilder) and adding it on as a new secondary type to all other Pokemon in your party.

How does it work?

I have a Gyarados in my first slot. Gyarados's primary type is Water, meaning that all of the other Pokemon either replace or gain a Water secondary type.
  • Pikachu becomes an
    /
    -type.
  • Mew becomes a
    /
    -type.
  • Azumarill becomes a pure
    -type.
  • Talonflame becomes a
    /
    -type
  • Bibarel stays a
    /
    -type.
  • Gyarados is still a
    /
    -type. If it were to Mega-Evolve, it would become a
    /
    -type.

Banlist, Clauses and Additional Mechanics:
  • Banlist: Standard OU banlist + Shedinja
  • Clauses: Standard OU clauses
  • To keep track of the changing types, types are revealed to both players when a Pokemon is sent into battle.
  • In battle, this is what would show:

Questions & Answers

Q. What happens if Gyarados Mega-Evolved while it was in my first slot?
A. Interestingly enough, all Pokemon that can Mega-Evolve don't have their primary types changed upon evolution, so nothing would happen to the rest of your party. Gyarados's type, however, would change to Water/Dark.

Q. What if Gyarados Mega-Evolved while it was in any other slot than first?
A. Let's say you have a Water/Ice-type Gyarados in slot three. If it were to Mega-Evolve, it would lose this new typing and evolve into a Water/Dark type, since that is Mega-Gyarados's type.
However, this only goes for Pokemon that gain a type upon Mega-Evolution. So, for example, a Dark/Fairy Absol would stay a Dark/Fairy type upon Mega-Evolution, because it gains no new types upon normal Mega-Evolution.

Q. If I switch Gyarados and Pikachu's spots in the team preview would that give all of my Pokemon a secondary typing of Electric?
A. No it would not. The game looks at the Pokemon that you have set in your first slot in the teambuilder. This is similar to how changing a Pokemon's slot in Gods and Followers does not affect which Pokemon is your god.

Q. What about Protean/Trick or Treat/Color Change?
A. They work they same. If I have a Normal/Dragon Kecleon that uses Shadow Sneak, its type is turned into pure Ghost.

Q. Where can I play this?
A. This is playable on the rom server!

Replays
[1] - Grass vs. Flying
[2] - Normal vs. Electric
[3] - Grass vs. Ghost
[4] - Steel vs. Water
[5] - Flying vs. Ground
[6] - Fairy vs. Fighting
[7] - Fairy vs. Steel

Last edited:
Why don't types change on Mega Evolution? Seems pretty inconsistent with the way things generally work in OM's and in real Pokemon games.

Why don't types change on Mega Evolution? Seems pretty inconsistent with the way things generally work in OM's and in real Pokemon games.
Are you talking about in the first slot or in any other slot? For the first slot, they do change, and for the other slots, it makes more sense to me for them to keep their new type since that is the full idea of the metagame.

Are you talking about in the first slot or in any other slot? For the first slot, they do change, and for the other slots, it makes more sense to me for them to keep their new type since that is the full idea of the metagame.
So a Gyarados in the first slot would Mega evolve from Water/Flying to Water/Dark, but a Gyarados in the second slot (with Tornadus-T in the first slot) would Mega evolve from Water/Flying to Water/Flying?

The point of AAA is to give 'mons new abilities, but they don't keep them on Mega evolution

So a Gyarados in the first slot would Mega evolve from Water/Flying to Water/Dark, but a Gyarados in the second slot (with Tornadus-T in the first slot) would Mega evolve from Water/Flying to Water/Flying?
Yep!

If anyone else objects to this mechanic, it can be changed, but for now I'll keep it as it is.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
What if Garchomp gets added the secondary type of dragon, would it become mono dragon?

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok time to contribute to an awesome idea! n_n

I see a lot of things that are one type and have access to a lot of coverage becoming very potent as they can potentially gain access to STAB coverage essentially. Things I can think of off the top of my head are Psychic-types that have a bad secondary typing like Celebi or a Fairy-type that wants STAB "coverage" such as Clefable and Togekiss with Fire-type > Flying-type. Fairy/Fire Clefable sounds really scary since Clefable has Magic Guard to avoid the new Stealth Rock weakness. This is looking like a really fun OM and I can't wait to build a team n_n

Now to go add this to the OM Index...

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Its just like other OMs. Megas that gain secondary typing would chage the shared type to their mega typing. Its just consitency. And it makes megas reliant on their secondary typing relevant.

Alright! Well, for the sake of consistency, Mega Pokemon now lose their shared type upon Mega Evolution (but only if they gain another secondary type in the process).

Keep the suggestions coming! I want to make this metagame as consistent as possible. :)

Reactions: nv
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Magic Coat
- Spikes

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extremespeed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

You get the idea. Just put a Normal type lead, then Dragonite, Lucario, Arcanine or Entei as your follower. As for Special coverage, don't worry. This is another metagame where Noivern gets STAB on Boomburst.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Magic Coat
- Spikes

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extremespeed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

You get the idea. Just put a Normal type lead, then Dragonite, Lucario, Arcanine or Entei as your follower. As for Special coverage, don't worry. This is another metagame where Noivern gets STAB on Boomburst.
Do you always have to find the flaw* in every metagame?

*Where Noivern gets STAB Boomburst

Yeah, Normal looks extremely powerful here. But then again so does Steel, so maybe Normal won't be as powerful as we think?

I will definitely keep an eye on it though, looks really annoying to deal with. I'll post some Pokemon that look like they could benefit a lot from a new Steel-type.

Yeah, Normal looks extremely powerful here. But then again so does Steel, so maybe Normal won't be as powerful as we think?

I will definitely keep an eye on it though, looks really annoying to deal with. I'll post some Pokemon that look like they could benefit a lot from a new Steel-type.
Normal and Steel both look powerful, so I'm using Fighting :)

This is gonna be tough to teambuild for, but probably worth it. I'll perhaps post more tomorrow.

Reactions: Mq
Worried about STAB Boomburst and Espeed? Here are a few things that may be able to keep those worries in check:

Ghost / Steel type with Flash Fire is an amazing defensive typing. It has access to gems like Will-O-Wisp and Taunt, and can still hit pretty hard with STAB Shadow Ball. Pain Split is for recovery as it doesn't really have any of that outside of Rest and Leftovers, but it should serve as good recovery. Immune to Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and a resistance to Stealth Rock makes it an excellent defensive mon.

Yeah okay. Dragon / Steel type is already a good type to begin with, but now it has access to STAB Iron Head to abuse that wonderful Physical Attack stat. Outrage still hits incredibly hard, EP for coverage, and last moveslot really is filler depending on your item, with access to things like Roost, Substitute, and Fusion Bolt. Yeah, terrifying.

A Dark / Steel type. The 4x weakness to Fighting is a pain, but with Levitate it gains an immunity to Ground type moves. Flash Cannon and Dark Pulse for powerful STAB, Flamethrower / EP for coverage, and U-turn really just for fast, strong momentum. Its stats are pretty great, and it can just hit hard and fast with really powerful coverage moves. Definitely will be a threat.

Those are the first three mons I noticed, and already they look extremely formidable. While Normal does get STAB Boomburst with Noivern, Steel definitely has lots of answers to those big threats.

Last edited:
I wonder if shedinja will actually be decent here.

Bug/Steel, Bug/Electric and Bug/Water gives 1, 2 and 2 weaknesses IIRC
Probably. Still dies to hazards, but Bug/Steel is the best type to give it. Actually, Shedinja with a Bug/Steel typing is being suspected in Accessorize. Perhaps we should do the same!

Of course, it does have less flexibility in this metagame as you need to use it on a Steel team, but still a very threatening and annoying Pokemon to face if you aren't prepared.

Steel looks a little overpowered.

-Kyurem black with steel instead of ice, perfect for choice band set, as it would not be weak to rocks anymore, nuke everything with a nuclear outrage and stab iron head.
-Ghost/steel gengar with levitate (!!!!)
-Any defensive grass type would love the secondary steel typing
-now you can use flash fire things offensively without need to rely on heatran, like all out attacker arcanine.
-suport latias dragon/steel with levitate.

To counter the inevitable Normal move spam, have your first slot be a primary Ghost-type.

-Ghost is inherently immune to Normal, so barring any users of Scrappy you're pretty safe when it comes to taking on Normal-types.
-Ghost also forms great defensive combinations with Normal- and Dark-types. Who needs defensive synergy when your entire team has only one weakness and three immunities apiece?
-Fighting/Ghost has perfect neutral coverage aside from on the aforementioned Normal/Ghost types, and even then common Dark-type moves take care of them as well.
-Don't use a Psychic-type on a Ghost team unless you really need to, though. Trust me on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)