Online Competition Ultra No Holds Barred

Without knowing the role of each Pokémon, it will be difficult to help you improve your team.

Incineroar Intimidate - AV ?
Marshadow - Focus Sash ?
Ultra Necrozma - Ultranecrozium Z
Tapu Lele - Scarf ?
Tapu Koko - Electrium Z - Specs ?
Zygarde - Leftovers ?

Without knowing the role of each Pokémon, it will be difficult to help you improve your team.

Incineroar Intimidate - AV ?
Marshadow - Focus Sash ?
Ultra Necrozma - Ultranecrozium Z
Tapu Lele - Scarf ?
Tapu Koko - Electrium Z - Specs ?
Zygarde - Leftovers ?
Exactly this items, but Koko has Fairium Z which oneshot Zygarde and has Calm mind which is great because it force often switches

Nothing to improve? At showdown I have great success laddering and in ag it's absolutely unbeatable
It's nit-picky and I'm not sure whether you'll see it, but rain with Mega Swampert could be rough to deal with. I had a similar team in mind myself, but with Mega Gyarados included.

Which Pokemon would you switch out for mega gyarados and which set would you suggest? I really love this pokemon and wanted to include it, but didn't find out which pokemon I could change for.

Which Pokemon would you switch out for mega gyarados and which set would you suggest? I really love this pokemon and wanted to include it, but didn't find out which pokemon I could change for.
I'm hesitant to suggest replacements since it wouldn't just be a 1 for 1 replacement. However, the moveset is pretty easy to recommend. Just run Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Crunch (mandatory for Necrozma), then either Taunt for stopping TR or Ice Fang for Zygarde. Whatever you value more.

I'm hesitant to suggest replacements since it wouldn't just be a 1 for 1 replacement. However, the moveset is pretty easy to recommend. Just run Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Crunch (mandatory for Necrozma), then either Taunt for stopping TR or Ice Fang for Zygarde. Whatever you value more.
Hi,

thx for your post. Which Pokemon would you replace? I think Marshadow, Necrozma DM / Ultra and Zygarde are too strong to be replaceable. I am really interested in including Gyarados

Hi,

thx for your post. Which Pokemon would you replace? I think Marshadow, Necrozma DM / Ultra and Zygarde are too strong to be replaceable. I am really interested in including Gyarados
Probably Tapu Lele since you're using Fairium Z on Koko and Necrozma has psychic coverage covered. The Psychic spam is nice, but you can set up an SD in Dusk Mane form if you really need extra oomph. Dual screens Koko might even be an option if you want to pack extra support for setting up.

Probably Tapu Lele since you're using Fairium Z on Koko and Necrozma has psychic coverage covered. The Psychic spam is nice, but you can set up an SD in Dusk Mane form if you really need extra oomph. Dual screens Koko might even be an option if you want to pack extra support for setting up.
Mh... Lele is one of the best pokemon ever made. It's one of the best revenge killer, outspeeds all non scarf pokemon and give the very good psycho terrain. I think I can't give it up :/ I run it with shadow ball, thunderbolt, psychic, moonblast and it hits many many pokemon over 50% on a predicted switch, so it can ko many probable counter

My team so far, with items and notable details: (assume standard moves and EVs)

Volcanion @ Assault Vest (max HP and SpA, sludge wave, earth power)
Marshadow @ Focus Sash (swagger)
Umbreon @ Dread Plate (max HP and Def, toxic)
Meloetta @ Choice Scarf (trick, u-turn, shadow ball)
Mega Lopunny @ Lopunnite (fake out, ice punch)
Hippowdon @ Iapapa Berry (max HP, mixed EVs in defenses, yawn, ice fang, sand stream, stealth rock)

Any glaring weaknesses that come to mind?

Well, I finally managed to rng the right Magearna spread last night and finish putting the team I wanted to try out together, only to find I'd forgotten my global link password and the reset password link repeatedly sends me an email with a reset link that always claims to be invalid. Hopefully customer support can fix this is the next 12 hours before the registration deadline or I am going to be sad ;P

So, after a lot of testing, I've settled on this balance team (click for sets):

I'm running DW over DM as Ultra Nec's base form because Ghost is a ridiculously good offensive typing in this meta, and Red Card Dual Screens Klefki is a personal favourite tech I slap on the team whenever I need an emergency button (read as: I have two setup sweepers and every opponent has a Sash Marshadow), but otherwise, all sets are fairly standard. It does have a few weaknesses in Koko, Magnezone, Ash-Gren and opposing MegaDos, but they can be played around as long as Marshie still has his Sash intact and/or the respective wall is still healthy.

Last edited:
Day 1: 13-2

I gotta say, that's a lot of Ash-Gren I've seen. Not as problematic as I thought it would be, last minute team change to incorporate Tapu-K has been vital, especially with access to Twinkle Tackle for Zygarde. Anyone else run into an entire team of Mimikyu yet?

11-4 for first day.
Could've been better, but some mistakes were made.
Weirdest team was 3 pheromosa, 2 greninja and Tapu Lele

I absolutely hated Day 1. I expected a fun challenge with lots of legendary Pokémon and fast battles. Instead it’s nothing but filthy stalling strategies with teams full of Toxapex and Mimikyu shenanigans and Intimidate cycling and a ton of burns and poisoning, with some Necrozma splashed in for hell of it. The worst offender was a team of 6 Milotic with Marvel Scale, Flame Orb, Toxic, Recover, Substitute and Scald. Absolutely no fun whatsoever. Did 12 battles before I stopped and questioned what the hell am I doing with my life? Friday night and I’m sitting alone doing this competition and actually hating it. Thanks Ultra No Holds Barred, you’ve ruined Pokemon for me.

11-4 for me - lost to a team of Dittos so that was (not) fun, mostly been good matches that I've managed to scrape wins out of. The most satisfying by far was stalling out Jirachi's Iron Head with Mew after wisping it, then Roosting off Volcanion's Steam Eruptions until they were all gone too lol. I've faced teams of 6x Swampert (1 was Marshtomp but close enough); 6x Ditto as mentioned; 6x Nihilego; and 6x Flygon. I also came up against a Sing Piplup haha, somehow managed to deal with it though.

Marzbar tomorrow is a new day buddy, I haven't really come up against any of the stuff you mentioned - unless you've already cancelled your participation (dw I did that with the last vgc comp) I would say give it a bit more time, I hope for your sake you get some more enjoyable opponents!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
streamed my day 1 games

think I went like 9-6, pretty disappointing since I was really hoping to do better, but my preparation did not help me for the jank I'd run into lol. Still has a fun time and I'll be streaming the rest over the weekend so come join the next one!

I also ran into a 6 Ditto guy which was one of the more interesting battles I had, I had to pick my team correctly at team preview and abuse Imposter to have a favourable matchup while whittling away at his team.

I lost early on to a dude who just straight up led Glalie vs lead Taunt Lele + Specs Shuriken Gren and lost because he got godly boosts and hit me through -4/5 accuracy which I think tilted me more than I realised lol.

Happy with my team but I regret not bringing anything faster than Ultra Necrozma apart from Ash Gren, but activating Battlr Bond is tricky lol. I don't think I brought Umbreon enough though so I'll be trying to give more love to that later on.

I went 10-2 record today and I broke 1600, so I assumed that was a good stopping point since I unfortunately won't be able to play the other 2 days due to IRL commitments. Team worked extremely well, so its a shame I won't be able to play my other games. All members did their jobs and Ultra Necrozma is pretty fun to use. I'll post the QR link to what I used since Poke Paste isn't working for me at the moment.
https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/BT-2104-465C

Day 1: Went 12-3, with two of the losses being to unexpected Jolly Glare Zygardes (can't Taunt them before they paralyse Dos if they're faster). The weirdest battle was against a team of six Sash Galvantulas. o_O I suppose it might've been an amusing strategy if I didn't have a sand setter.

I lost two battles to Destiny Bond Mimikyu. It would be cute if it wasn’t in a competition with limited battles :/

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

day 2 games. had some cool matches, lost some silly ones. shoutout to volc for dodging a rock slide to win. I still haven't broken 1600 yet ..... :psyduck:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

And here's the day 3 stream. Probably ended around 1670 which is annoyingly low but whatever. Was one win away from 1700 for the last 10 games but I kept trading wins/losses so I never won that last one to break the barrier. I said if I made 1700 I would end so I ended up playing all 45 lol. Choked a game where I had an old Volc speed tier in my head which wasn't correct anymore because i changed the EV spread from what I was using in practice, so a Scarf Shaymin outsped my +2 Volc lol. Got a little unlucky down the stretch too with a Deoxys getting a max roll to KO Umbreon which would have otherwise won the game. It was still fun to play and stream though so I'm looking forward to the next competition (provided it isn't an IC)

UNHB team.png

Showdown was infested with Shuckle / Marshadow teams so using my 2017 NHB team, which focused on that, didn't feel as fun. Theorymon inspired me to try Diancie so I tried to build around that. I paired it with a simple Lele+Necro core to abuse the terrain, Ash-Greninja since Endeavor + Battle Bond seemed like a cool combo, a bulky Volcarona because it's my favourite set at the moment and it seemed like a decent meta call, and an Umbreon because bulky Dark-types are super good. Sucker Punch on Umbreon was really cool and definitely worth running as it picked off a bunch of stuff that Foul Play just missed KOes on. I wish I brought it more on day 1 because I got dunked on by Necrozma too many times.
252 Atk Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chople Berry Umbreon: 129-153 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 274-324 (85 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ultra Necrozma: 296-350 (88 - 104.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dawn Wings: 282-336 (83.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk Mane: 240-283 (71.4 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Sucker Punch picks off all of these things except Dusk Mane which is a roll (favourable after rocks).

Greninja was cool but its speed tier before activating Battle Bond was really disappointing.

Volcarona was easily the MVP, I kinda wish I built the team around it rather than adding it to support Necro / Gren against Magearna...

I'm guessing my final record was probably something like 32-18 (+12 wins, ~1670). Hopefully I can do better in the next one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)