Resource Ultra SM OU Bazaar

Off the bat random suggestion but I can't not come in when I see an offensive team running one random passive mon. If you want to run a defensive pivot on an offence team then Rotom-W's your best go-to option being able to take a hit and VS out to keep your momentum. I know you need hazard support for Duggy but I'm not sure to what extent you need Duggy, you could be better off with another breaker who can help blast through defensive teams a bit better, maybe Rocks SD Flyium-Z Lando-T? These are just initial suggestions, I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm talking shit but I think it could help out a touch.
I find Mantine too essential to check Rain and Water-types in general (Greninja especially). Recovery is also a plus. I did consider Rotom-W but in practice I've found Mantine more useful on this team. But I think Rotom-W is a great partner and I do have other Nihilego teams with it.
As for Landorus-T...read the Dugtrio section. I agreed with you.

I find Mantine too essential to check Rain and Water-types in general (Greninja especially). Recovery is also a plus. I did consider Rotom-W but in practice I've found Mantine more useful on this team. But I think Rotom-W is a great partner and I do have other Nihilego teams with it.
As for Landorus-T...read the Dugtrio section. I agreed with you.
Yeah, retrospective reading is not a clever idea of me. I just based the comments on look over your importables. Sorry 'bout that. XD

p2

Banned deucer.

hi, some of you probably recognize this team since it was used a fair bit on the suspect ladder and in the live suspect tours and got a few people reqs (woulda gotten me reqs but bp is too good!!). it's just my twist on the generic lele + strong psychic type teams that everybody spams since it's a very generic but super successful and effective core in the tier. gross amplified by psychic terrain is actually terrifying and is super punishing against teams that try to use mons that don't resist psychic to beat it such as hippowdon, since it just gets overwhelmed by gross after terrain. i'm also not the biggest fan of choice lele and prefer the options which make it super annoying for slow teams to face in cm, since it sets up on one of the most common mons in the tier (fini) and abuses so much shit that tries to switch in it's unreal. fini and lando-t is also super generic but it gets shit done because its just so insanely consistent, fini is thicc and walls the entire tier, especially ash gren which is a pain in the ass to deal with since its my only water resist and any misplay with it is extremely punishing. lando is good with flyinium z since its a super reliable wallbreaker and sweeps a bunch of offense teams easily since theres a bunch of stuff that throws free sd/rps at it, fly on its own isn't even half bad since it does a decent amount to typical ground immunes like landot, latios and zard. terrakion is a great scarfer rn since it does well v common offense teams and pressures a ton of threatening mons like zardx, volcarona, scarf lele, mega zam, non scarf phero, ash gren etc. it's a good scarfer unlike last gen. heatran went in the last slot since i was in need of rocks + a decent scizor answer, air balloon ice tran comes in here, can't use bloom doom as lando has flyinium z and only ground immune is lando, so having something else to cover for that is super nice.

big threats are opposing megagross, don't have switchins for it, my scarfer can't pick it off with little prior damage, its not impossible to beat though, offensive waters are super annoying too since my water resist is fini and my scarfer is also vulnerable to water shuriken. ash gren is rlly punishing for this build so basically never risk fini if you need it, you can do wack shit with psychic terrain if it is a big issue tho

this was also just for the gene suspect so prob best to not use this if it stays, which is what i'm expecting to happen.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Fly

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 88 HP / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Similar team to the one above. Hyper offence following the Lead / Breaker / Breaker / Speed / Utility / Sweeper format pretty much designed to help me sleep at night over my fear of Duggy-stall and the Wonder-Trio. Two breakers designed to manhandle as much defensive stuff as I could think of, the rest to try and help out vs more offensive teams. Standard lead Azelf running the old Skill-Swap set from way way back to bypass the Mega Shiny-Eyeballs leads but can just as well run something more generally useful (Fire Blast). SD Flyium-Z Lando-T running Smack Down over Rock Polish to bait in and get the drop on Skarms, Celesteela, and Rotom-W, been using this shit since Lando-I was still around and it does make things quite annoying for opponents who use those guys as direct Lando counters. CM Twisted Spoon Lele as the second breaker, prefer it to Specs since you can switch up your moves after a Choice bluff. Scarf Phero as a revenger, love this thing with how well it can deal with other Scarfers and fast-mons, just a standard physically biased mixed set. Rotom-W as a defensive pivot also to help vs offensive teams to eat a hit and VS out to keep my momentum, my breakers aren't phenomenal vs offence due to their speed, Phero has the bulk of wet toilet paper, and that only really leaves Gross to tank hits which isn't a good idea or else I'm much more limited in when I can set up an Agility, so Rotom is quite necessary; makes a good Volt-Turn core with Phero too. Lastly, Gross to clean things up and kind of a jack-of-all-trades member in terms of what he supports with, went for an Agility set again to help vs offence to allow me to clean up after an Agility, also makes great use of the Psychic Terrain to break shit.
Despite counter-measures, this team still has troubles vs offence namely Greninja and Phero to an extent. It puts a lot of pressure on Rotom to eat their hits so it needs to be a quick game. If Rotom is down, an opportunity to set up with Gross is kind of vital. Opposing Megagross with Ice Punch are also very annoying. Rain is auto-loss. If Genesect stays then this team goes to scrap, but it was fun while it lasted.
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Skill Swap
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch

omgitzaxew

Banned deucer.
Let me know what you would do differently with this team! It took me the last 2 weeks to collect and train and level them up so I'll be stuck with them for a while. I don't really play competitively but I have a few friends that also have battle ready teams so I would appreciate all pointers. Thanks!!

Turtonator (TURDNATOR) @ Choice specs
Ability: Shell armor
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 HP / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor

Trevenant (KUSHTREE) @ Big Root
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Rest

Toxapex (SPIKE) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 238 Sp.D
Impish Nature
- Poison Jab
- Haze
- Recovery
- Toxic

Bewear (PED0BEAR) @ Fightium z
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Atk / 252 Hp
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Hammer arm
- Shadow Claw

Gyarados (SEAMONSTER) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Ninetails-Alolan (420TAILZ) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Shadow Claw

A bit of explanations for some of the choices I decided on..
I bred a bewear with ice punch and thunder punch but after playing in the battle tree with him, gyarados, and ninetails that shadow claw and bulk up went better with the 2 and it's been working well for me after I made the adjustment.
I run a physical toxapex cause his physical attack is better that his special attack and I needed him to know a poison move so I had something against fairies otherwise I just throw him out there and let him sit around which I really love lol I used a ferrowthorn on ORAS and this little guy my new ferrothorn. (The EV distribution is so that his Def and SpD would be even, idk if that is optimal but it's what I got)
I decided to max out the bulkiness on the turtonator and hive him the choice specs.. I usually take one hit from anybody and hit back with a strong STAB, either draco meteor or fire blast, I like superpower and flash cannon cause fuk it what else would I use... I thought about using charge beam but I would hate to be choiced into that.
I don't play super competitively but I would appreciate all pointers I know you guys do this all day and know what you're talking about. I usually just lurk around here and there while I'm at work.

P.S. I bred for a good sandslash so if he would fit in here better than any of these other mons let me know but usually when Aurora's Veil is up I go into the Gyarados to sweep and I'm thinking sandslash would crash with that cause he wants to be up with the hail and Aurora's Veil sooo idk

Last edited:
Hello friends and here is a team I have been very successful with and after just winning a tour, why not share the fun :) :
The Squad

Building Story
:)

So this is the Team! The team was built around Z Fly Lando-T(1), after I saw BlazeLatias's team, and straight after Lando-I was banned, with this mon I was instantly inspired to build around it and so here we are. In Blazelatias's team, Lando was paired with Tapu Koko since since Lando-T is able to break past things such as Venu. I though this was a very cool concept and so my first partner for Lando was scarf Kartana(2). While Kartana isn't the best mon atm I still think it has it strengths and as a sweeper for this team it is very effective considering Lando can break through: Tran,Venu,Zapdos, and much MUCH more. Moving on from there, Originally I had Rotom-W(3*) as annoying mon once Lando broke through the grasses but it underperformed quite alot so I added Tapu Fini(3) as a nice switch in for anything that lando dislikes and provides me with defog. At the beginning, I was also guilty of this, Fini was very underrated and seen as an overall weak mon. I am glad that people have seen its strengths and now see it as an amazing mon in the meta because its bulk combined with the support movepool make it such a fun and useful mon. It also stops starus due to terrain making it easier for Lando to set up. Following the addition of Fini I decided on Alo-Wak(4). We all know how splashable this thing is due to its defensive typing and access to stealth Rock. Thats pretty much why I added it. Having a check to Gene,Phero and Koko in one is unmatched so yeah...Anyway moving on to the fifth member: I considered the fact that Kartana isn't going to much despite its good defensive typing so I wanted a check to Lele and fairy buddies. This team was built during the period of Alo-Muk(5) hype and I am still happy that I bought into it! It provides me with the utility of knock off to wear down defensive cores along with pursuit for the psychics, Pjab to destroy fairies, Priority for Phero, A nice SpDef tank and a mon which poisons alot :) (But seriously that poison really racks up on the opponent for my wincons to clean.) Finally, In a last member I was looking for something which could also benefit from Lando's breaking since Kartana isn't the most reliable mon and so I went with Zygarde-50% originally(6*). While Sub DD Coil Zygarde was very fun and quite successful, I couldn't shake this teams susceptibility to Rotom-W and others doing as they please since I would normally bring in Zygarde Mid-Late game. However as a replacement I wanted something which had a good speed tier and could benefit from a scarf which brought me to O'l reliable Latios(6). We all know what this mon does but while its not as good as ORAS it has its uses and I think it will settle into the meta in the future :) .

How it plays
So now that you've heard the story you may be wondering how it plays. Well this is clearly a balance build but as with any team you need to incorporate you're own play style. However, being honest this isn't a team which you can just sit back and click buttons but rather you have to play quite smart due to the fact that that the why I feel this team is most optimally played as is similar to bulky offense. Some of these mons are best used at different parts of the game and some have good defensive typing which is used to switch into attacks rather than their natural bulk. Moving on, This team has a plethora of win cons which really depend on the matchup to which one you want to use to win! Lando-T destroys most of the counters to Kartana and allows it to sweep but it must have a clear path paved for it. Scarf Lati is also able to clean with psyshock similarly once everything is put into range which is cool when kartana's sweep is stopped but a latios clean is opened up. CM Defog Fini is also nice since it surprisingly one v ones a lot of mons and Lando can break through Ferro and Venu for it too. Even my more defensive mons like Alo-Muk and Wak can take on some teams however be aware that, Muk especially, they are worn down very easily and Muk really needs its health to successfully take on Lele.

Threats
As with any team, there are some threats to the squad and here is how to play around them:

Steels: Tran ,Celesteela, and Scizor are very annoying especially stallbreaker Tran, since my initial switch is Fini and so it traps and Bloom Dooms. You can decide on coverage on Latios whether Tbolt,Hp Fire or Surf for any of these steels. Alo-Wak can deal with Steela while Lando can break through Sciz. As for tran, try to wear it down with rocks and constant attacking.

Metagross: This steel gets its own special mention since I am not invested in bulk for Lando and nothing on my team can OHKO which is why Rotom-W was originally chosen. Again you are just going to want to wear it down with surf from fini and switching around it.

Birds and Normal Spam: I don't have a resist... I can only say play aggressive and switch around.

Ash Gren: Since this is more of an older team, Its not prepared as much for the more recently discovered to be phenomenal mon ash greninja. With that being said, Fini can switch in of course but is overwhelmed. Alo-Muk can take a hit if it has to and it can be revenged with my double scarfers.

Tapu Koko: If Wak is overwhelmed by Koko partners then this will be hard to deal with however it is revenged by my scarfers. The new U-Turn Zap Plate set is also very annoying since the initial switch is Alo Wak.

Tapu Bulu: I have faced a lot of these but for some reason they don't just click wood hammer which is weird because it puts immense pressure on my defensive backbone. Switch-In to your least useful resist.

Tapu Fini: You don't really wan't to be switching kartana into it and Alo-Muk gets worn down easily so just try to maintain momentum.

Tapu Lele: If Muk is eliminated then just play around it stabs if it is choice-locked and if its not click X(no but seriously try to revenge it.) You need to get 50/50's right with pursuit. Specs also wears you down quicker especially if you get the 50/50 wrong.

DD Lando: In my opinion the biggest threat to the team, ironically. I can only say good luck and don't let it set up...

Scarf Mosa: I have too scarfers yet it outspeeds both how lovley...

Alolan Muk: Its stabs are odly difficult to switch into but it can be overwhelmed by the attackers and Lando-T can set up on it.
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-494876518 Vs
Neithorn7
- A battle with the original team and actually showcases Zygarde Sweeping​

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-501693001 Vs Mistress Remillia - Just a replay showcasing Calm Mind Fini

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-505229431 Vs trent - An unexpected Latios clean

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-509738648 Vs illicit panda - Playing more offensively with Kartana and mopping up with Lando

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-509741154 Vs FreedGardener - Lando-T weakened the main Kartan check and so it was able to sweep through 4 mons!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-509744580 Vs Noob King - Lando-T breaking through Zapdos was key for Kartana sweep

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-509746147 Vs Gotham Paladin - Probably the best game here. Was a very intense and fun game against Paladin, who is one of the nicest guys in OU :), and was the finals of one of the 2 tours that I have won with this team. Also showcases A-Muk pursuit 50/50's

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-509762733 Vs G0 Type0 - Showcases matchup vs Birds, normals and sand...

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-510549269 Vs BandidoArmado - Matchup vs Rain Variation

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-511871786 Vs andrewrb15 - Just a cool match showing that we can break through hax, and scarf mosa :)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-511876905 Vs Corazan ✔ - Just wanted to throw in how salty this guy was :)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-511887838 Vs Moggera - A fun game and a very difficult matchup.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-511897098 Vs Mindnight(‽) - Showcases how you need to play smart with the team and pick what you need and what you don't.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-512309078 Vs Capo the battler - Standard kartana clean at this point :)

Conclusion: :(

At that's it! I hope you guys did enjoy the post. I have put a lot of work into it and I have taken long to come out with it but I hope you do enjoy the team. This team does age quite quickly so use it while its still hot. Any likes, feedback, feats and results with the team are appreciated and who knows maybe I will RMT this team later :) .

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Talk

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash

Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Defog

Muk-Alola (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I've been building a ton recently and after trying out so many different things and going like negative on the ladder (lol) I figured I'd share a cool and straightforward team I built around Zard-Y. Unlike my other squads it's pretty standard but it's one of my favourites since Zard-Y has always been my fav mega

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Reversal
- Stone Edge

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Defog
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Decided to pair Zard Y with Duggy to trap and remove the likes of Toxapex Chansey Heatran Ttar. Since Focus Blast's main targets are trapped by Duggy already it can be replaced with Flame Charge or something, I haven't really found anything that improves its coverage that's why it's still Fblast. Fini defog rocks for Zard and is the team's main Water resist. Added Magearna as a Psychic resist and 1-2 times switchin to Tapu Koko. Lando is the rocker and check for most physical attackers. Finally Scarf Lele for some speed control and late game cleaning.

Last edited:

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.

M-Metagross + AV Magearna

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpD / 164 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

M-Alakazam + Sub-Coil Zygarde

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Coil

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpD / 164 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

enjoy :)

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey dudes, here's a rather slick team I've constructed that I've found a fair bit of success on ladder with. I figured I wouldn't get all that much serious use out of it, so I wanted to share it here!

The main idea of the team is to use Zard Y to deconstruct the opponent's Water resists (mainly Tapu Fini) for Ash Gren to come in and clean house late game. Tapu Fini pairs very well with Zard and just about every other Pokemon that you would want to fit on bulky offense because it is the single best Defogger in the tier bar none. From there I went with physically defensive, dual hazards Skarmory because, despite having Defog support, I wanted Skarm to be able to put some kind of offensive pressure on the opponent's team. Spikes isn't necessary in every matchup and I didn't feel as if Whirlwind was explicitly useful due to the more offensive nature of the team, so the set has found a niche home here. I rely on Lando-T as my offensive Koko check and partial speed control. Rounded off that delicious voltturn core with a Tapu Koko because I noticed a distinct weakness to bulky Water-types.

The team functions pretty well if you know how to maintain your offensive pressure well enough, but there are some glaring issues with it.

Shedinja stall is unbeatable. I am probably like 1-9 against this team archetype in my sum SM OU career.
Shift Gear Magearna is the one thing I will always regret not running Whirlwind on Skarm for. You gotta play aggressive to keep his thing from crushing this team.
I rely on Brave Bird from Skarm to deal damage to SD Chomp, usually resulting in a trade or a Chomp left at half health if it has Fire Fang.

I'm open to suggestions. It's a dope team and mad fun to play, but I know it's far from perfect. Let me know how it goes!

Will of Fire

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Past WCoP Champion

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey dudes, here's a rather slick team I've constructed that I've found a fair bit of success on ladder with. I figured I wouldn't get all that much serious use out of it, so I wanted to share it here!

The main idea of the team is to use Zard Y to deconstruct the opponent's Water resists (mainly Tapu Fini) for Ash Gren to come in and clean house late game. Tapu Fini pairs very well with Zard and just about every other Pokemon that you would want to fit on bulky offense because it is the single best Defogger in the tier bar none. From there I went with physically defensive, dual hazards Skarmory because, despite having Defog support, I wanted Skarm to be able to put some kind of offensive pressure on the opponent's team. Spikes isn't necessary in every matchup and I didn't feel as if Whirlwind was explicitly useful due to the more offensive nature of the team, so the set has found a niche home here. I rely on Lando-T as my offensive Koko check and partial speed control. Rounded off that delicious voltturn core with a Tapu Koko because I noticed a distinct weakness to bulky Water-types.

The team functions pretty well if you know how to maintain your offensive pressure well enough, but there are some glaring issues with it.

Shedinja stall is unbeatable. I am probably like 1-9 against this team archetype in my sum SM OU career.
Shift Gear Magearna is the one thing I will always regret not running Whirlwind on Skarm for. You gotta play aggressive to keep his thing from crushing this team.
I rely on Brave Bird from Skarm to deal damage to SD Chomp, usually resulting in a trade or a Chomp left at half health if it has Fire Fang.

I'm open to suggestions. It's a dope team and mad fun to play, but I know it's far from perfect. Let me know how it goes!
Hi Disjunction, cool zard y team. I've seen you have some issues with magearna but I think that tapu lele is quite a threat too.
You could try to replace skarmory with av metagross, that would help against magearna and lele and at the same time you would have a nice pursuitter to help zard y cleaning easily.

Now you need a new rock setter and landorus-t might be the case here. A defensive variant with helmet is helpful as Littlelucario suggested you, which is fine but you still have a slot for your z move, so you might want to try a z version of lando.
I like rockium z more here and offensive lando would help more against shedstall and stall in general I guess but it's up to you.

If you're giving up your choice scarf on lando, you need speed control and I think that scarf tapu koko would help here.
It seems a weird set but with that you have a strong speed control now, even with a modest nature you're still faster than base 110 speed scarfmon and you hit decently hard. It's an emergency check to many things after a little bit of cheap damage:

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 280-332 (87.7 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 280-332 (84.5 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 278-330 (83.9 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 268-316 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 266-314 (74.5 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The funny thing is that scarf koko is as fast as modest kingdra max speed in rain, so if you're forced to play the speed tie you can do that.
Hope I helped you.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Volt Switch

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I prefer running 252 HP / 192 Def with Bold Nature on Tapu Fini, really helps with SD Chomp since you can take a beating better and hit back with powerful Moonblasts.

I feel like the main drawback of this team is probably stall, as apart from Madness Tapu fini there isn't any way around it. I don't really want to swap your original members too much, especially since I am rather fond of well the team can utilize skarmory's hazards. That said, the issue of stall cant really be fixed unless you change one of your mons imo - I know you built with the intention of supporting an ash greninja sweep but subdd gyarados with z-Bounce with moxie is a solid parter, can use its substitutes to stall out sun turns should it need stronger waterfalls while also having the safety net of Substitute and the support of Moxie to help hit stall towards the late game (you can set up on Sableye after you've used Zard the force the mega evolution during mid or late game and set up around 2 DDs since it takes two knock offs to break it's substitute.

Stall would still be sort of hard esp if they have something like quagsire + chansey, but these builds would also require sableye presence as hazards and knock off landorus could put in work v those builds, and you could cheese wins v unaware mons with waterfall flinch/criticals with the safety net of Substitute preventing stray toxic from hitting you. Could also be patient and bait the unaware mons into consuming their PP before setting up the gyara sweep.

You could make other adjustments that are equally usable, if you like greninja that much I'd think koko is most expendable for like literally any z move breaker (sd z firium fire fang chomp looks wicked especially since people will suspect the Z move on land instead). Chomp helps v Magearna to an extent, although you mainly just crush stall with it lol - altho you would need to bait the right moment to get it in (can't set up v sableye for example) You might think z land would fit here but I would hate to open koko weakness and im not a fan of maro + zard personally.

Hope this helps

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I've not got enough time to make a big post, but I do have one suggestion. This might sound really weird given that the team is aiming to set up for an AshNinja clean late game, but given that you have both Scarf Lando-T and Tapu Koko which are capable of cleaning up a weakened team have you considered running Spikes+Protean Greninja>Ash Greninja? My reason for saying this is because Protean Gren covers up the SD Chomp weakness that you say you have, turning a 70% OHKO rate post-transformation (87.5% KO rate, 80% hit rate)/inability to OHKO pre-transformation into a guaranteed OHKO with Ice Beam, and it also clears up the necessity for Spikes on Skarmory--enabling you to run Whirlwind to help w/ Shift Gear Magearna.

That said, I don't really like running Skarm as the sole answer for Magearna considering that Thunderbolt chunks it even before a Soul Heart boost. I suggest running SpD Stealth Rock Jirachi>Skarmory. This gives you a more consistent stop to Shift Gear Magearna than you had before, taking pitiful damage from anything it can throw at it (Twinkle Tackle deals 33.4% max whereas Focus Blast deals 28.2% max, and the alternatives to said moves (Corkscrew Crush and Aura Sphere) obviously deal less) and it is much less of a momentum sap than Skarmory is due to having access to both U-turn and Healing Wish which allows it to pivot around and grab momentum while also healing Tapu Fini to help it with stuff.

The last suggestion which is much more take-it-or-leave-it than the other suggestions is that you could potentially run Haze+Icium Z>Natures Madness+Leftovers on Tapu Fini. My reason for saying this is that it allows it to be able to come in vs. things more throughout the match and, with Jirachi, would reduce the pressure put onto it to HW into Fini due to it being over-pressured when checking things. The other thing that this does is that it means that you can come in on Garchomp's Swords Dance and click Z-Haze, which allows you to take the hit, heal back to full and reset its stats. This is of value because the team can't really switch into LO Chomp at all, regardless of Jirachi vs. Skarm (Skarm just gets Fire Fanged), but you'd have to run a more physically defensive spread to do this consistently (248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD, 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD or 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe)

Hope I've been helpful; dope team btw.

Gonna post a team i made recently that ive had some good success with:

Alicia Melchiott (Magearna-Original) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Shift Gear

Isara Gunther (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt

Faldio Landzaat (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Welkin Gunther (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Largo Potter (Alakazam-Mega) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Edelweiss (Magnezone) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Basically this team is built around shift gear magearna which is a really fun win-con overall. First off let me explain why im using Life orb over steelium/farium. I chose life orb due to the more immediate breaking power as there will be times where i cant shift gear but magearna can still break. Lo is a nice compromise. Anyways I went with dual stab+aura sphere so you nail steels like heatran without getting pressured to trap the other steels with zone. Rocky helmet landorus was picked in the next slot due to how it reliably sets rocks while also providing slow u-turns to get in zam/magearna with more ease. It also helps bringing in zone vs steels and deals with ground types. SE>Hp ice because i found myself fairly weak vs m pinsir. Alakazam was chosen because it takes advantage of magearnas breaking power and provides me with a second win-con. Knock off was chosen for its utility purposes of luring in chansey which can annoy this team somewhat. knocking off shed shells is also useful in the case of magnezone. I noticed heatran and zard-y could prove to be problematic but at the same time wanted a switch in that didnt lose to bloom doom heatran. I went with CM latios because it beats both zard-y and tran while also helping the team break down balance and stall really well. Next i went with tapu fini as a secondary tran switch in that wouldent lose to pursuit users like weavile/ttar/bisharp. Fini also helps handle pheromosa and provides defog which is useful when most of the team is grounded. Last i wanted a Lele switch in and tapu koko switch in but also noticed i had issues removing steel types. AV magnezone was a perfect fit because of its roll compression. When using this team threats to watch out for include psychic spam and dugtrio. Enjoy!

cbb getting whooped by this team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pokebankou-233190

Last edited by a moderator:

Let it snow (Tapu Koko) @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Feel the beat (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost

6 feet under (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Ze Ubermensch (Buzzwole) @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 200 Atk / 12 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Rivers of Babylon (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 20 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Rage against (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Pretty dope team around the Tapu Koko + Kyurem-B core i posted in the good cores thread. I put Wise Glasses on Koko after watching an SPL match where somebody (i think ABR) used it. Its the superior item for the team, since you don't want LO recoil, and Wise Glasses lets you 2hko Charizard X which is a major threat to the team and Ferrothorn. The main concept is to U-turn with Koko on stuff like Chansey, M-venu and Lando to bring in Cube and destroy something. Fusion Bolt has a 50% chance to 2hko chansey under electric terrain. Other than that i have Lando and Magearna as defensive Pivots, Drill as a spinner and Buzzwole as an alternative way of beating ferrothorn and chansey. Ash-gren and Tapu lele can be threats especially when coupled, the only water resist is Kyurem. Other threats are pheromosa (only switchin is buzzwole), Koko (driller) and Megagross. Have had good success with this (currently at 1500, pretty high for my standard). Oh and if you play save enough and don't risk your Kyurem + Koko you can tear through most bulky teams, which is a plus i guess.

Morocco (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Darude (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

Bonesaw (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Ferrous Bueller (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Klara (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Domon Kasshu (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Punch

hopefully did this right, wanted to start doing some of this over showdown since it's pretty easy to throw a team together and go. made this and started going at it and having a good time, only thing that's really getting me is playing poorly around water types, which is the logic behind thunder punch Zardx. advice appreciated

Last edited:

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Punch

hopefully did this right, wanted to start doing some of this over showdown since it's pretty easy to throw a team together and go. made this and started going at it and having a good time, only thing that's really getting me is playing poorly around water types, which is the logic behind thunder punch Zardx. advice appreciated
Hi dude. Tpunch Zard is a good idea, but that team is too weak to Ground (Landorus in first, you have not a switch-in ... and no, Charizard does not count), Tabu Bulu it's a check and not survive Z- moves (Fly and rock type)
I suggest you to replace Zone for something take better Ground (Tapu Fini?), the trap of skarmory it's not so necessary with Maro and ZardX in the team.
Air Ballon Exca > Life Orb it's a good start imo.

Hi dude. Tpunch Zard is a good idea, but that team is too weak to Ground (Landorus in first, you have not a switch-in ... and no, Charizard does not count), Tabu Bulu it's a check and not survive Z- moves (Fly and rock type)
I suggest you to replace Zone for something take better Ground (Tapu Fini?), the trap of skarmory it's not so necessary with Maro and ZardX in the team.
Air Ballon Exca > Life Orb it's a good start imo.
sounds easy enough, looking at my options I think fini's the right choice for sure, scald/moonblast/defog seem no brainers but I'm not sure what I want as a 4th move, maybe calm mind if it comes in on an obvious switch? I'll play around with it a bit. air balloon for surprise ground immunity I'm guessing?

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Toxic

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

A stall team I have been using for the past few days and ended up at rank #6 and 8 on the ladder with(was testing two slightly different versions at first), could probably push for #1 but getting 5 points every win and losing 20 every loss is pretty discouraging. Handles most of the meta threats with a little bit of prediction but is obviously weak to dedicated stall hard counters such as shed shell calm mind tapu lele or trick hoopa-u.

Toxapex and Chansey make a very solid core as together they hard wall most of the meta and the rest of the team is dedicated to either removing or hard walling threats to them, ill briefly cover said threats and how to deal with them.

Mega-Metagross
Quite annoying to deal with as due to its huge coverage it can punch through all the phyiscal walls on the team, Toxapex can survive one zen headbutt which gives you a chance to try and go for a scald burn or switch into sableye to absorb the headbutt and threaten it out with a will-o-wisp. Skarmory takes any hit and hits it back with counter, usually KO'ing it as people love to try 2HKO skarm with thunderpunch. Dugtrio also revenge kills it assuming it has no bullet punch which is rarely run due to the popularity of Tapu Lele
Tapu Fini
A huge pain the ass to deal with as it usually runs taunt, natures madness, moonblast and defog which makes it impossible to wall and generally an huge annoyance for stall. Thankfully Toxapex can safely switch into it and stall out the terrian. Generally dealt with by tanking a moonblast with Sableye(does around 50%) to knock off its leftovers and then slowly scalding it to death. What is often forgotten is that misty terrain applies after entry hazards which makes Fini get poisoned if it switches into toxic spikes when it comes in to try and defog. More of an annoyance than an actual threat and dies eventually
Tapu Lele
By far the most problematic pokemon to deal with as moonblast / psyshock destroys the entire team, thankfully it is usually holding either choice specs or scarf which makes a lot more comfortable to deal with. Its usually a rather obvious switch in so catching it with dugtrio and either KO'ing it or putting it in range of knock off / seismic toss is not that hard
Kartana
Normally not a problem but the increasingly popular SD + Fightnium z set can tear through the team if you predict wrong. Thankfully toxapex can take a +2 leaf blade even with a crit and attempt to burn and skarmory survives a +2 all out pumelling and 1HKO's it with counter. Its also rather obvious when the z-move is going to get used so switching out skarm for toxapex or another pokemon to take the hit is rather easy.
Hoopa-U
Mainly problematic because it can run both special, physical and mixed sets while also being able to trick a choice item. Once scouted its rather easy to wall and even easier to trap with dugtrio as it has pathetic physical defense
Landorus-Therian
Problematic to deal with as it can run both a defensive stealth rock set and an offensive z-move SD set. Thankfully skarmory hard walls both sets and its usually rather obvious from the team preview if its going to be carrying rocks. Mostly a problem as it usually brings along its friend Magnezone whom it loves u-turning into to trap skarmory.
Magnezone
While not a problem itself as both Chansey and Sableye wall it, it is always brought along a strong physical attacker who gets walled by Skarmory. Makes switching into Skarmory extremely risky, especially around u-turners such as Mega-Scizor and Landoros. Thankfully it loves to volt switch out from Chansey which makes it easy to trap with dugtrio, if its not running a choice scarf Dugtrio can just switch into it, tank any hit and then 1HKO it with Earthquake or Reversal
Zygarde
Annoying to deal with as the only answer to the coil substitute set is PP stalling it with Quagsire and if it happens to carrying the rare toxic as its 4th move its basically game over. Thankfully it is vulnerable to toxic spikes and dislikes switching into scald / status moves

Last edited:

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Punch

This team is fairly cool, and I'm sure that you are aware of its more obvious issues (such as the matchup against Ground-types, which the previous poster mentioned), but one threat you may want to consider is other weather. Mega Charizard Y by itself 2HKOes or OHKOes your whole team; even without any hazards, your own Mega dies to two Focus Blasts, assuming they hit, and Alolan Marowak dies to two Fire Blasts under the sun. You can mind-game it with Scarf Tyranitar, but to get any damage off you'll need to Pursuit it, and if they stay in to Focus Blast you then you're in trouble. Then Rain is an entirely different beast, since it's much harder to keep your own weather setter alive when it's possibly switching into super effective STABs...or coming in after sacking a teammate. Specs Kingdra alone murders you, OHKOing every member of your team bar Tapu Bulu which takes upwards of 2/3 of its HP from Hydro Pump in the rain; even Tyranitar in sand has over a 50% chance to die outright, and Stone Edge only does around 60% to uninvested Kingdra.

Tapu Fini is a decent Rain check, and sending Fini in to tank a Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, then switching to Tyranitar on the Solar Beam forces it to charge the move, letting you kill it with Stone Edge risk-free. Mantine, though, gives you a Ground immunity and possibly the best weather counter in the game, only fearing Tapu Koko's Thunder which the rest of your team handles. However, it's very passive compared to Tapu Fini and its Taunt/Nature's Madness shenanigans, so take your pick. As far as existing team members, either Alolan Marowak or Magnezone can be replaced; keeping just one of them is enough for most Steels.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Toxic

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

A stall team I have been using for the past few days and ended up at rank #6 and 8 on the ladder with(was testing two slightly different versions at first), could probably push for #1 but getting 5 points every win and losing 20 every loss is pretty discouraging. Handles most of the meta threats with a little bit of prediction but is obviously weak to dedicated stall hard counters such as shed shell calm mind tapu lele or trick hoopa-u.

Toxapex and Chansey make a very solid core as together they hard wall most of the meta and the rest of the team is dedicated to either removing or hard walling threats to them, ill briefly cover said threats and how to deal with them.

Mega-Metagross
Quite annoying to deal with as due to its huge coverage it can punch through all the phyiscal walls on the team, Toxapex can survive one zen headbutt which gives you a chance to try and go for a scald burn or switch into sableye to absorb the headbutt and threaten it out with a will-o-wisp. Skarmory takes any hit and hits it back with counter, usually KO'ing it as people love to try 2HKO skarm with thunderpunch. Dugtrio also revenge kills it assuming it has no bullet punch which is rarely run due to the popularity of Tapu Lele
Tapu Fini
A huge pain the ass to deal with as it usually runs taunt, natures madness, moonblast and defog which makes it impossible to wall and generally an huge annoyance for stall. Thankfully Toxapex can safely switch into it and stall out the terrian. Generally dealt with by tanking a moonblast with Sableye(does around 50%) to knock off its leftovers and then slowly scalding it to death. What is often forgotten is that misty terrain applies after entry hazards which makes Fini get poisoned if it switches into toxic spikes when it comes in to try and defog. More of an annoyance than an actual threat and dies eventually
Tapu Lele
By far the most problematic pokemon to deal with as moonblast / psyshock destroys the entire team, thankfully it is usually holding either choice specs or scarf which makes a lot more comfortable to deal with. Its usually a rather obvious switch in so catching it with dugtrio and either KO'ing it or putting it in range of knock off / seismic toss is not that hard
Kartana
Normally not a problem but the increasingly popular SD + Fightnium z set can tear through the team if you predict wrong. Thankfully toxapex can take a +2 leaf blade even with a crit and attempt to burn and skarmory survives a +2 all out pumelling and 1HKO's it with counter. Its also rather obvious when the z-move is going to get used so switching out skarm for toxapex or another pokemon to take the hit is rather easy.
Hoopa-U
Mainly problematic because it can run both special, physical and mixed sets while also being able to trick a choice item. Once scouted its rather easy to wall and even easier to trap with dugtrio as it has pathetic physical defense
Landorus-Therian
Problematic to deal with as it can run both a defensive stealth rock set and an offensive z-move SD set. Thankfully skarmory hard walls both sets and its usually rather obvious from the team preview if its going to be carrying rocks. Mostly a problem as it usually brings along its friend Magnezone whom it loves u-turning into to trap skarmory.
Magnezone
While not a problem itself as both Chansey and Sableye wall it, it is always brought along a strong physical attacker who gets walled by Skarmory. Makes switching into Skarmory extremely risky, especially around u-turners such as Mega-Scizor and Landoros. Thankfully it loves to volt switch out from Chansey which makes it easy to trap with dugtrio, if its not running a choice scarf Dugtrio can just switch into it, tank any hit and then 1HKO it with Earthquake or Reversal
Zygarde
Annoying to deal with as the only answer to the coil substitute set is PP stalling it with Quagsire and if it happens to carrying the rare toxic as its 4th move its basically game over. Thankfully it is vulnerable to toxic spikes and dislikes switching into scald / status moves
You should be running Shed Shell on Skarm like everyone, and why are you exactly using Quagsire>Clefable? I would stick to the standard team and use Clefable>Quagsire and Shed Shell Spikes Skarm.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Toxic

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Mega-Metagross
Tapu Fini
Tapu Lele
Kartana
Hoopa-U
Landorus-Therian
Magnezone
Zygarde
I think SD Tapu Bulu is the one you should be worried about not kartana. Its way more threatening, makes Dugtrio even weaker than it is.

You should be running Shed Shell on Skarm like everyone, and why are you exactly using Quagsire>Clefable? I would stick to the standard team and use Clefable>Quagsire and Shed Shell Spikes Skarm.
With dugtrio to trap Magnezone and two other physical walls I have found it unnecessary to have shed shell on Skarm, additionally it enables you to ensure you have sturdy up after absorbing a u-turn from Lando and prevents Skarmory from getting too worn down if it is forced out several times after switching in to attempt to defog. It also guarentees you survive a +2 leaf blade and all out pumelling from the timid kartana sets that have been popping up a lot lately
Clefable is vastly inferior to Quagsire in the current meta as steel coverage is everywhere with tapus being so popular and Quagsire even has better physical bulk and access to scald. Unaware Clefable also doesn't get access to softboiled which makes toxic stalling a setup sweeper a lot harder.

I think SD Tapu Bulu is the one you should be worried about not kartana. Its way more threatening, makes Dugtrio even weaker than it is.
SD Bulu is a huge threat but it is also vulnerable to toxic which makes it a lot easier to deal with and the terrain it provides helps stall more than it helps bulu. It also has a a lot harder breaking through Skarmory than Kartana does due to its lower attack stat and the fact that z-crystals aren't as common. SD Bulu is also a lot rarer to bump into on the ladder as Kartana is usually stronger against most of the meta

Vague

Banned deucer.
la confidential

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 76 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Coil
- Substitute
- Extreme Speed

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I posted this in the weekly research thread but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well. It started around a core of Mega Venusaur + SubCoil Zygarde. From there the next components of the team seemed to fall together perfectly. Celesteela checks nearly half the tier alone, especially the increasing popular Psychic Spam. Alolan Marowak is pretty necessary for functioning as another mean of counterplay against Pheromosa, Mega Scizor, etc. while setting Rocks, spreading burns, and softening up the opposing team for Zygarde. Tapu Fini removes hazards while checking the other half of the tier and breaking down stall with Taunt + NM. Finally, Scarf Tapu Lele took the final slot as it amplified this teams offensive presence and another mode of counterplay against offensive teams. This team is super fun and easy to use. It has weaknesses like all teams but no matchup should be an instant loss.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Coil
- Substitute
- Extreme Speed

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 76 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Stun Spore
- Spore

This is a revamped version of the team above designed to be more offensive in nature, it's also my iteration of the popular yet cancerous Psychic Spam that plagues the ladder. The most notable change is the shift from Celesteela to Mega Metagross and Mega Venusaur to Amoonguss. Mega Metagross brings an immense amount of power into the mix and takes advantage of Lele's terrain while retaining necessary Steel-type qualities. As you can see I decided to go with the Rock Polish set since it just ravages offensive teams with little no trouble at all bar Steels, but EQ is pretty good for that. The lack of Ice Punch is also pretty neglilible considering Zen Headbutt is a flipping nuke under Psychic Terrain. Celesteela and Skarm gets annoying though without Thunder Punch. However, biggest issue with this change is the significant decrease in defensive presence which was pretty abundant with Celesteela, so you must play more carefully around Lele (busted), Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Salamence, Mega Pinsir, etc. Amoonguss is a much more forgiving mon than Mega Venusaur since you can make some mistakes and just switch-out to regain health to try again later. I like Double Powder as it makes sure Amoonguss isn't useless after Spore since it hits like a wet noodle. Clear Smog is also nice for ensuring nothing bar Steel-types can setup on it and even the Stun Spore or Spore annoys them. I 'm starting to prefer this team more since I'm more of an offensive player and this one is more fast paced and powerful.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Magearna @ Life Orb
Ability: Soul Heart
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium-Z
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fly
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Terrain
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Mega Gyarados is pretty cool. Paired it with Defensive Z-Fly Lando-T because it actually lures the bully Grasses. If they see SR + U-turn the opponent usually assumes its a defensive set and that's when you bop 'em. Ferrothorn sets Spikes and cripples fast Psychics with Chople + TWave. Tapu Koko came naturally as a more offensive buffer against bulky Waters and Latios fit really well as a Keldeo check and weakens Ferrothorn / MSciz with HP Fire so the sweepers can break through. Finally, Shift Magearna was originally Rock Polish Genesect but that's gone so it's the next best thing. I like HP Ground + LO since it makes sure Marowak doesn't just laugh at this team while also hitting Heatran. It's nice when paired with TBolt and teammates that breaks Steel-types so it can blow past its checks.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Megahorn

Charizard @ Charizardite X
EVs: 160 HP / 164 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Salamence @ Flyinium-Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

This is straight fire. CB Tapu Bulu + Zard X is a really nice core since the synergy is amazing and Bulu breaks nearly everything in the tier. Bulky Zard X is nice since I like mine thicc and it checks things like opposing Bulu, Scizor, etc better. Fini clears away hazards and checks everything and when paired with Defensive Lando you're golden. I haven't really used AV Magearna that much but it's needed here for Lele and other annoying threats thanks to its great bulk, also makes a slow VolTurn core with Lando. Z-Fly Mence is super scary and pairs very well with ZardX since either one can easily setup a sweep for the other very easily or just outright sweep themselves. Real jewel here.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Magearna @ Fairium-Z
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Fleur Cannon

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

I made this with the idea of heavy offensive pressure from the get go in mind in the form of Mega Pinsir + Garchomp + Magearna. Garchomp essentially breaks down Celesteela and Skarmory, which are two huge hinderances to the other two, and softening up the opposition. Pinsir is a really fearsome breaker / sweeper in its own right and having the opponent weakened makes things so much easier. Magearna is usually the nail in the coffin after Garchomp and Mega Pinsir have done their jobs. Twinkle Tackle hits stupidly hard especially since Pinsir and Garchomp usually eliminate the bulkiest of resists. HP Fire is pretty much just good coverage for the what if factor (such as Mega Scizor still around or Jirachi). You can't go wrong with Fini + Lando and Koko does what Koko does.
EDIT: AM also noticed the Koko weakness so be sure to run Scarf Garchomp and Smack Down > Stone Edge Landorus-T to retain the dynamics of the team while also gaining significant counterplay against Koko.

Enjoy the teams. Be sure to try the Salamence and Psychic Spam !_!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)