Umbreon

I'm forced to agree with those that say Umbreon got nothing this time around. Ultimately, Umbreon is still centric to the tools it had nearly ten years ago with diminishing returns each iteration of the game.

And I'd rather use Double Team on something like Breloom, but I still appreciate the idea =)

Umbreon should have gotten Shadow Tag. Oh well. As is, the same as always, which means weaker due to power creep.

I've actually been thinking, though I never tried this, that Umbreon with Charm and Wish/Baton Pass/Mean Look could be very effective. Umbreon retains the standard function of defensive pivot and wish/trap passer but with charm, Umbreon can screw over a lot of his common switch ins if he does it on the switch. This also allows Umbreon to possibly trap pass pokemon like Infernape, though I didn't run calculations, and even if the pokemon he charms can't be trap passed, Umbreon can still switch to a counter who can now come in much more easily. So what do you guys think of Charm on Umbreon?

Switch Umbreon in, use Mean Look as your opponent inevitably switches in something with U-turn, and cry.

How did Wish change? Does it heal 50% of the original user's health (and if so, only with Baton Pass or does it work whenever you switch)?

This is my Umbreon's Set

Umbreon @ Leftovers/Chople Berry
Careful
252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Synchronize
~Mean look
~Baton Pass
~Yawn
~Protect

This is how I used it.

Basically Switch Umbreon on the revenge or whenever appropriate and Yawn, they'll most likely switch to a pokemon to counter Umbreon like a fighting type, now the tricky part is to predict whether they'll switch to another pokemon or stay and fight and sleep their current pokemon. If it's the 1st option, use meanlook to trap the switch pokemon if it's the 2nd option, use protect, although it's generally better to use meanlook, you may have lost your umbreon, although he's fairly bulky, if they stay in to attack then it would've fallen asleep.

If they decide not to switch in their pokemon after you switch in umbreon and Yawn, use Yawn again in case they switch on the 2nd turn.

This set has flaws as stated in previous post, such as taunt, U turn and Electric equivilent, Lum Berry, Rest Talkers although Rest Talkers aren't too much of a problem if you have the right pokemon to switch in and set up.

Am I missing something? ah well I've only made one team with Umbreon in it, I've only had sucess using this set.

I dunno but I've had more success with Curselax then Cursebreon. So *Shrugs*

Umbreon might see more use as one of the bulkiest Dark-types once you consider how some special sweepers are going to be carrying Psycho Shock now.

You could utilize Mean Look and Black/Bark(?) Out to kill special attackers.
It's a special attack with 55 BP, 95% accuracy, not ideal, but it lowers special attack, and they can't remove the negative effect because they're trapped.

I doubt it's viable, but I guess it wouldn't hurt considering it.

I'd like to see how a 252 HP / 252 SpD Umbreon does against popular special sweepers that got Psycho Shock.
It could be the best pokemon to deal with them, it's no Blissey, but it takes psychic attacks like a champ.

Umbreon in my opinion only works with a clerical set. That is to say, punishing status with synchronize, heal belling the team, and wish support. He suffers the most from having only 4 move slots to work with though, and is often the perfect setup bait. I think when I did use umbreon it was something like

taunt
heal bell
wish
protect

So its basically a blissey with synchronize. shrug. Taunt was only really valuable on the switch due to its slow speed. And like I said, if I had an extra moveslot to work with I'd slap toxic on there.

Speaking of mischevious heart, Umbreon isn't so vulnerable to setup anymore if you have Erufuun on your team. If you think an opponent is trying to set up on Umbreon? Switch out and harass them with priority encore, or even better just baton pass that wish/mean look you were currently stewing.

The rule about discussing banned Pokemon applies to attacks as well. Don't assume any moves will be banned this generation. I have seen no indication that we will be grandfathering OHKO and Evasion Clause into Generation V.

Wish is a slight improvement. Not as good as Vaporeon gets it of course, but definitely better than what he had before on it.
I think it's safe to say Double Team ain't comin back at all. Even if we "never know"

Cheer Up looks very nice. I'm liking that move. That'll be good to TrapPass.

Toxic/Confuse Ray is pretty annoying too. I've seen it work very well.

Actually the difference between Umbreon and Vaporeons wishes is only about 25 HP. Nothing too terrible. It's really a shame Umbreon and a lot of the other eeveelutions didn't get more this gen.
Vaporeon utilizing its Water Absorb ability allows for it to use it more effectively imo.

if only Assist power were physical, Umbreon could use it in conjunction with curse or Cheer up...

Umbreon finally gets a way to boost it's special attack with cheer up, even if it is by a measly 1 stage. I doubt it'll help it much but that's one more thing it can baton pass.

if only Assist power were physical, Umbreon could use it in conjunction with curse or Cheer up...

Umbreon finally gets a way to boost it's special attack with cheer up, even if it is by a measly 1 stage. I doubt it'll help it much but that's one more thing it can baton pass.
Could be interesting for mixed sweepers.. Umbreon is slow enough to take the hit before baton passing, meaning the mixed sweeper which is usually frail, will come in without getting hit and can start its rampage.
And of course, won't need to give up a moveslot for Cheer Up.

The abundance of pokemon with Simple says otherwise.

Send Umbreon in, use Mean Look as your opponent inevitably switches to a pokemon with a stats boosting move, switch your Simple pokemon in and laugh at your opponent while he just lost his sweeper.
trap passing has always been garbage and it will be even worse in gen 5 with regeneration kojondo and volt change. it's like ninjask in that both are only in ou because of 800 cre people using them. heal bell will probably remain umbreon's most useful set in gen 5. the changes to wish boost it a little bit since 252 hp umbreon has more hp than most of your other pokes will have.

Btw, Trap passing doesn't work anymore. The Research thread says that passing mean look will just cause the trap effect to disappear on the switch. Utterly lame, and regulates Umbreon to field medic status only.

Btw, Trap passing doesn't work anymore. The Research thread says that passing mean look will just cause the trap effect to disappear on the switch. Utterly lame, and regulates Umbreon to field medic status only.
Where in OU it's completely outclassed by big brother Vaporeon. Shame, cause I like Umbreon and thought he was a little underrated in OU in 4th gen.

Umbreon still remains a great team glue on Baton Pass teams. .Maybe Curse or Cheer Up/Payback/Baton Pass/Wish or Yawn would be his best set now. Doesnt fail to Taunt so fast, atleast he has Payback.

Where in OU it's completely outclassed by big brother Vaporeon. Shame, cause I like Umbreon and thought he was a little underrated in OU in 4th gen.
Umbreon still is defensively stronger than Vaporeon all-round. It doesn't quite have the same HP to wish on, but it's defense and special defense are still superior.

Anyway...umbreon can sort of get away with using yawn + pursuit in tandem until it puts something to sleep I suppose. Not that it does much damage with pursuit, but it's something at least.

Umbreon this gen is pretty screwed, he got nothing particularly new and all people normally used him for was trap passing. With trap passing no longer working in gen 5 hes lost his main niche even hsi Wish pass has effectively been nerfed.

On the flipside its ben confirmed gen 5 synchronize can pass on bad poison as well as normal poison unlike previous gens so people will think twice before throwing toxic onto it.

But honestly Umbreon's got nothing that most stuff couldn't do already and we always thought Flareon had movepool problems...even his defense means little with all the powerful bugs/fighters flying about this gen. Best niche I can see for Umbreon is using Bark Out as his main attack to try deal with huge special attack threats.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With trap passing gone, pretty much everything Umbreon can do, Vaporeon can do better. Umbreon has gotten progressively worse every generation =/

My set for umbreon seems to get better

Umbreon
Adamant(can possibly work with brave too) 252hp 252 atk 6?
@ Leftovers
Charm
Black out
Payback
Sucker punch

(yawn can be one of the supportmoves)

Last gen this set got my Umbreon to beat loads of Gyarados users expecting that it would try to wall or something, so they either taunted or DD'd

Meaning a free Payback, then they "catch on" and attacked, meaning base 100 STAB payback> sucker punch= KO'd Gyarados.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)