Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
After talking the votes, Sage of the 6 wins this round! Congrats friend :)

Sage of the 6 - 5
Itsjustdrew - 2
Smallsmallrose - 1

--------------------------

Predictably, our next week will be on Mega Slowbro! This recently unbanned defensive expert is capable of acting as an excellent pivot early-game with Regenerator and as a late-game bulky wincon with Calm Mind and Shell Armor! Don't forget the ever-threatening Slack Off 3 Attacks set as well, which can provide pressure on opposing switch-ins throughout the game thanks to Mega Slowbro's high base 130 Special Attack.

Submissions are due on Saturday, as usual.

1522296704227.png
(RIP MBRO SPRITE)
1522296718634.png
1522296761422.png
1522296785613.png
1522296844109.png
1522296869001.png

Ban me (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Slack Off

Big Papa (Snorlax) (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Crunch

Hip Hippo (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Smile. (Vileplume) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Strength Sap
- Hidden Power [Fire]

flinch incoming (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Air Slash
- Roost

DENNIS (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Dark Pulse

I remade my favorite Snorlax squad with the best possible partner in crime for a fighting-weak special wall and our pokemon for this week: Mega Slowbro. Slack off 3 attacks is what I went with here. Its max HP bold to take physical attacks quite comfortably with its high HP and Defense stats. Almost Max SpA to put a real hurting on many Bro switchins. 8 speed is to creep other bros and Amoongus, even if they're 4 speed to they themselves try and creep other base 30s. Scald and Psychic are its main stabs while signal beam is the coverage option. It catches Hydra, Lati, and Serp just as ice beam does, but trading base power with the benefit of hitting other bros and Crawdaunt fairly hard too, and hitting Celebi even harder. Snorlax is your typical papalax, with crunch to ease the matchup against opposing bros and especially CM Lati, a mon who is otherwise terrifying for the team. And of course, no Smallsmallrose team is complete without Vileplume, who checks many fightings Lax struggles with and many grasses Bro struggles with. Vileplume is especially useful over Amoongus here since it checks physical attackers harder and isn't as passive or exploitable as Amoongus, which would be a death sentence against certain setup sweepers like Vincune and others the team already struggles with, and effect spore dice rolls while just holding a Z-move makes it a very solid switchin to knock off spam, making it able to prey upon mons trying to knock off Lax's Papa berry. Its also faster than Amoongus, its minor speed creep letting it jump sap trap Azu and beat it even more convincingly than poisonium Amoongus. Hippowdon is a sturdy rocker with recovery that blocks Voltturn and throws around toxics and checks annoying physical attackers, not much to say here. Togekiss is another fighting check with solid mixed defenses that stallbreaks while checking certain offensive mons quite handily. Its stallbreaking and heal belling make it an especially important partner for the LaxBro duo, who can tend to struggle with bulkier teams. Hydra is a solid defogger and a good general wallbreaker with useful resistances to mons like Chandy, Daunt, and Megadoom who can otherwise poke annoying holes in the team.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
1522362563198.png
1522362596846.png
1522362620263.png
1522362670870.png
1522362693822.png
1522362734955.png

http://pokepast.es/b49e9f86c245271c (importable)

This is a stall team as it aims to counter the metagame defensively and provide quality utility moves to stay healthy and remove certain threats.

What makes this somewhat different from an ideal stall team (ideal as in standard, not perfect) includes:
  • No Wish user - not a big impact because everything has Recovery although Amoonguss can get worn down a bit faster than expected
  • No Quagsire - most stall teams in UU have Quagsire or Pyukumuku, running neither is OK for this team since I still have a decent Terrakion, Cobalion, Suicune (eh), Gliscor, SD Scizor (eh) response which is what the Unaware users are usually for
  • Two Mega Pokemon (this is uncommon for all play styles) - Aerodactyl relies on the Mega slot more so it usually gets to Mega, however it's obviously not part of the defensive core and sometimes not needed in which case Slowbro can Mega (Trick immunity and Knock Off reduction is nice anyways)
So while it is different from a super standard Alo/Quag/Bliss+Hazard Control+Steel+Utility Moves stall team, you can see by the comments none of the diffrences are very detrimental and have some logical backing.

Match ups with common stall breakers and weaknesses in general include:
  • Haxorus = good because Slowbro and Scizor
  • Chandelure = good because Aero
  • Serperior and Breloom = good because Amoonguss (as well as Blissey and Scizor for Serperior and Breloom)
  • SD Scizor = average because Fire moves can lure it but no Unaware Pokemon to reliably counter
  • Gliscor = good because Slowbro and Aero
  • Azumarill = average because Amoonguss can be easily overwhelmed or Perish Trapped (Scizor does beat Perish Song though)
  • Boosting mons in general are hard to deal with because no Unaware, something like SD Terrakion is still a big threat if it has the right Z move or my walls are just slightly weakened
  • Decidueye = bad because nothing walls it well
There are of course more threats (Reuniclus for example can annihilate the team) but these are the big ones in UU.

Questions, comments and suggestions on the team are very welcome since, as always, the team is a WIP.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Copy and pasting from Break My Team because I am a boring and lazy person. This is a team I made during the beginning of Mega Slowbro's suspect test. I wanted to support Mega Slowbro the best I could. I added CB Terrakion because it punishes Dark-types extremely well and can break walls for a Slowbro sweep. I also added Hydreigon for the same reason, and because I wanted to have a Special breaker. I felt really weak to Electric-types at this point so I added Swampert, which also provides the team with Stealth Rock and a Scizor answer. I felt really weak to hazards, status ailments and Dragon-types, so I added SpD Togekiss, which is a unique set I've been using lately with good success. It also helps me take on Mega Sceptile a lot better. Lastly, I lacked a Steel-type to deal with Fairy-types, physical wincon, and priority. Scizor was the perfect choice here, because it provided me with all three.

Surgeon

venice bitch
is a Contributor Alumnus

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Roost

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Rhyperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Latias (F) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Draco Meteor

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 204 Atk / 180 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak

I've been experimenting with different Slowbro sets, and Calm Mind + Rest is a pretty interesting one, as it can decimate bulkier builds fairly easily. Decided to pair it with an obvious partner, Togekiss, which provides an all around decent Grass check and Hydreigon switch-in, while also curing Slowbro from Sleep. Now the team was heavily pressured by any Scizor variant, so Magneton was also a pretty mindless addition. Made Rhyperior the rocker as I didn't want to rely on Scarf Magneton to beat Pokemon like Moltres. Also provides the team with an Electric immunity. Using Rocky Helmet on this build, as to punish Scizor from clicking U-Turn (which it will most of the time since it doesn't want to get trapped). Z Thunder Latias was mainly added to check Pokemon that are usually troublesome for Slowbro like Empoleon, Suicune, and Serperior, but it also serves as a secondary Fighting resist. Finally, Muk prevents Calm Mind Latias from being that much of a threat, and also checks Z Hyper Beam Serperior. Running Shadow Sneak instead of Fire Punch since Scizor is already incredibly pressured by Mag + Rocky Helmet Rhyperior, and can sort of mitigate the overall slowness of the team. Altaria is a tough matchup, particularly if it's DD, but it should play out fine as long as Slowbro isn't asleep.

TSR out here showing bias when Pif actually loses to Banded Bewear and Misa's speed control is a non-band Scizor on a more offensive team

Anyways I'm voting 1surgeon since he's got the only team that doesn't look like it loses to something dumb

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TSR out here showing bias when Pif actually loses to Banded Bewear and Misa's speed control is a non-band Scizor on a more offensive team

Anyways I'm voting 1surgeon since he's got the only team that doesn't look like it loses to something dumb
How is my Speed control Scizor when I have both Hydreigon and Terrakion that are faster than it?
Furthermore, what exactly do I need the Speed control for? While stuff like Calm Mind Latias is a threat, it can't really set up on anything but Togekiss, which I make sure I don't let stay in for too many turns. Furthermore, I have Scizor to check it, if it's not HP Fire (if it's HP Fire, it means no Recover, so I can chip it with Air Slash from Togekiss until it's in range of Bullet Punch from Scizor.

I am looking at more fast threats and trying to see what may be a problem... Work Up Mega Pidgeot it a problem but it can be pressured, as both Hydreigon and Terrakion live a hit from full and OHKO back, and it does not appreciate Stealth Rock. Electric-types are walled by Swampert if they lack Grass-coverage (if they do, Hydreigon walls), and the majority of set-up sweepers are checked by either Scizor, Mega Slowbro, or my wallbreakers.

About pif's team... what? Does it really "actually lose" to Choice Band Bewear? Not only Slowbro is never 2HKO'd by any of its moves barring a boosted-Facade, Slowbro has Regenerator and it can always be just used as a pivot and switch out to Scizor if Bewear locked itself into a Normal-type move.

I really do not get your points.

Voting 1Surgeon.

How is my Speed control Scizor when I have both Hydreigon and Terrakion that are faster than it?
Furthermore, what exactly do I need the Speed control for? While stuff like Calm Mind Latias is a threat, it can't really set up on anything but Togekiss, which I make sure I don't let stay in for too many turns. Furthermore, I have Scizor to check it, if it's not HP Fire (if it's HP Fire, it means no Recover, so I can chip it with Air Slash from Togekiss until it's in range of Bullet Punch from Scizor.

I am looking at more fast threats and trying to see what may be a problem... Work Up Mega Pidgeot it a problem but it can be pressured, as both Hydreigon and Terrakion live a hit from full and OHKO back, and it does not appreciate Stealth Rock. Electric-types are walled by Swampert if they lack Grass-coverage (if they do, Hydreigon walls), and the majority of set-up sweepers are checked by either Scizor, Mega Slowbro, or my wallbreakers.

About pif's team... what? Does it really "actually lose" to Choice Band Bewear? Not only Slowbro is never 2HKO'd by any of its moves barring a boosted-Facade, Slowbro has Regenerator and it can always be just used as a pivot and switch out to Scizor if Bewear locked itself into a Normal-type move.

I really do not get your points.

Voting 1Surgeon.
Gengar and Serp are also a huge pain to your team since you have nothing to outspeed them. Gengar especially is really really hard for you to switch in on
Also yeah facade is super annoying if Bewear gets statused since one wrong predict could score it a kill. Pif can ofc play around it but if it eats a toxic it becomes really hard to switch in on
My team is pretty bad since SD Scizor gives my team some struggles but TSR treated it like I can't play around that either

Last edited:
I'm sorry myself, I've been kinda biased to having Scizor checks in submissions after the week. In all honesty, Amane Misa's team is pretty laughably weak to Mega Pidgeot and Moltres too, while 1Surgeon is still using Magneton... in hindsight I could have realistically given everyone some kind of handicap, apologies for the shortsighted decision and showing bias ,_,

turns out misa's team can't play around SD Scizor at all either...

Yeah, sorry. This was a shitty week, and it's on me. 'Grats to 1Surgeon for winning this week in a small, albeit close, vote!

Since I couldn't think of anything better and this thread is a slave to my whim, our next week will go to UU's new lord and savior Rhyperior. A great bulky pivot to use on offensive teams that patches many weaknesses to Flying- and Electric-types that they commonly have. With its excellent bulk, it can easily take on looming threats like Moltres and Mega Manectric with ease, provide the ubiquitous utility of Steath Rock while packing a mean punch that its competition like Swampert and Gliscor can't provide. Thanks to its great ability in Solid Rock, it also manages to miraculously not get OHKOed by many super-effective moves, such as the infamous Scizor Bullet Punch. Crazy right? Submissions due Saturday!

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
TSR I think you're being too hard on yourself here. You've managed this thread for 34 weeks I think that warrants a few mistakes. I don't think anyone is mad at you nor does anyone have the right to be mad at you. You're a great guy keep up the good work :D

P.S. I'll contribute this week and add my team to this post.

http://pokepast.es/ab985620631d8736

This is standard balance with a volt turn core. Mega man scarf ape is pretty standard, both soft check scizor. Rhyperior walls all the flying types, pidge, toge, bat. Toge breaks stall and checks loom. Empoleon is a nice latias and hydreigon check it also defogs. Amoongus is a great loom and azu wall. It also walls numerous things because it such a good pokemon in this meta. Too lazy for sprites and this description is pretty lack luster but the team works.

Last edited:
turns out misa's team can't play around SD Scizor at all either...

Yeah, sorry. This was a shitty week, and it's on me. 'Grats to 1Surgeon for winning this week in a small, albeit close, vote!

Since I couldn't think of anything better and this thread is a slave to my whim, our next week will go to UU's new lord and savior Rhyperior. A great bulky pivot to use on offensive teams that patches many weaknesses to Flying- and Electric-types that they commonly have. With its excellent bulk, it can easily take on looming threats like Moltres and Mega Manectric with ease, provide the ubiquitous utility of Steath Rock while packing a mean punch that its competition like Swampert and Gliscor can't provide. Thanks to its great ability in Solid Rock, it also manages to miraculously not get OHKOed by many super-effective moves, such as the infamous Scizor Bullet Punch. Crazy right? Submissions due Saturday!
It was also partly my fault for letting myself get so miffed over it. I'm not going to let it happen again.

I'm also going to ensure I'm stacked well against Scizor this week. I'm actually almost done with the team! So get hyped for that!

Darksafadao

best of the second options
Hi, I wanna share a team I made that didn't focus on Rhyperior, but it sure supported the team nicely.

Bewear @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 20 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Haze

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

This team was made around Bewear. Bewear is a fun mon on its own, being very unique and being able to dish out strong hits with Normalium Z. At first, I was going to support it by using a Nihilego, as it could absorb Flying Special Hits, as Bewear isn't exactly 'weak' to the Physical ones. But as the team kept on going, I felt like I needed stronger Mega Manectric answers while not losing the ability to check birds, and this is where Rhyperior came. Rhyperior gave me the answer I needed to both of those while also providing me rocks. Also, later into the build, it also got the role of being my absolute main way of defeating Togekiss, as the other members struggle with that. It also helps checking Mega Beedrill. Next, I wanted a strong Scald answer that could abuse Water- and Ground-types while giving me speed control. Mega Sceptile fit this role well while also being a nuke in general, helping breaking physical walls for Bewear. It also became a strong Mega Manectric check as the team kept on going.
I felt dragon weak and I thought a Wish passer could really help the team, as my main Scizor answer at the moment was the bear and it could get low quite easily. It also supported my main bird answer and also my main wallbreaker. With this in mind, Sylveon was my 4th pick. But even with Wish support + Bewear, I still felt Scizor weak. Not only that, I also felt Cobalion weak and in need of a spinner/defogger. This made me choose Tentacruel, giving me all these in one slot. Although it is a bit frail and can get low, usually Sylveon does a nice job of not allowing it to get too low, as it baits Steel-types in and usually that's enough to give Tentacruel a free turn to come in and absorb that wish.
At least I wanted speed control and a ghost resist. Hydreigon just fit nicely.
Overall, I like this team and I think it is pretty fun. Feel free to try it out.
Sadly I couldn't fit a Steel-type
, but I think the team can do well still. Thanks for reading

1522883858144.png
1522894552325.png
1522894626441.png
1522884087521.png
1522884235307.png
1522884280058.png

ARMOR (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

BIRD (Moltres) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

JELLY (Jellicent) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

QUEEN (Tsareena) @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- U-turn

ELECTRIC (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

METEOR (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

I was originally going to go with a wish bulky offense that I was ALMOST done with on Tuesday, but it looked too same-y to Safa's team who beat me to the punch. So rather than just sticking with a really fat offense I decided to go for a more raw but still KINDA bulky offense. Rhyperior is the star of the show and the team's main check to stuff like Mane and Pidgeot and Moltres who would otherwise be awful to switch in on. Speaking of Moltres, Moltres fills the role of a wallbreaker, a Scizor check, and an emergency Loom check if Tsareena gets too pressured. It also defogs efficiently against steel typed hazard setters by pressuring them out. Jellicent is my full on stallbreaker who checks annoying physical attackers like Scizor and Aero. Its speed creep outruns 164 speed Azu, but it is by no means my primary Azu check. Tsareena is a rapid spinner that heavily pressures the fat ground type rockers who would exploit most other members of the team, heavily pressuring them out and spinning their rocks away as well, as well as having U-turn to pivot. It also checks Belly Azu and Breloom well enough for the team. Manetric is a solid pivot that backup checks flyings and Scizors and runs over other offenses while being a very good pivot. Hydra fills in the last slot as my speed control because late game Kommo or Hax looked terrifying, As well as Gengar's general existence.

EDIT: FORGOT EVS ON MOLTRES I'M ACTUALLY TRASH

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Importable

This is just a very standard bulky offense I threw together that happens to utilise Rhyperior. Rhyperior+Tenta is a hazard core that seems to have been catching on of late, obviously it has a weakness to common grounds in the tier but otherwise they cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. Azu+Pidg+Scizor form an offensive core that has the tools to break down most cores while Scarf Latias provides valuable speed control. 2 strong priorities plus Lati means offensive threats can often be kept in check, while there's just enough defensive utility to prevent the team from being overwhelmed by most breakers straight off. The sets are what I feel fits the team best but can obviously be changed without affecting how the team plays too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)