Unpopular opinions

Dragonair will always be the best in the Dratini family. Dragonite on its own is adorable and I really like it, but I can't stand how overweight and sunburned Dragonair becomes when it evolves.
That's the exact reason why my shiny Dragonair will never evolve. From a beautiful pink to a horrible green isn't a nice transition at all. Wow now that I think about I really don't like Dragonite. It's not a bad Pokemon in terms of stat/design, but in my eyes it will never be as good as it's pre-evolved form.
This isn't really an unpopular opinion... I've seen SO MANY people say this. I'm one of them.

That being said, I wonder if there is a means to make a competitive Dragonair stand up to the OU Metagame. (Probably not)

Pokeathlon was such a nice time waste, other than top hat warlords dancing it was the best time water side activity in the franchise. Well also petting your fennekin in 6th gen.

I just realized something: I tend not to enjoy using Generation I Pokémon. Not that I hate the original 151 (I think the only Pokémon I truly hate is Barbaracle), but most of them just aren't as enjoyable for some reason. I don't know why. It is just when I think the teams I've used, both competitive and casual, not many Gen I 'mons are there. And when I think of Pokémon I enjoy using, almost none of them are Generation I. This list includes things like Scizor, Gliscor, Roserade, Goodra, Rotom-Wash, Heracross, Tyranitar, Infernape, Exploud, Hariyama, and the list goes on.
And it is weird as I love many of the Generation I Pokémon, including all three starters, Vaporeon, Farfetch'd, Scyther, Tauros, and my favorite Pokémon of all time, Gengar.

I honestly use, or should I say abuse 3 gen 1 Pokémon since gen 1 cleffable, Gengar and slowbro, I mean for ingame runs they where always on my list of cool stuff to use, but competitively I always liked slowbro for cm rest shenanigans in Gen 3 as a poorsman crocune and cleffable as a poorsman blissey that could threaten Gengar back when it was normal type. Gen 5 happened and loved slowbro even more then Gen 6 happen and we got the role compression of unaware mon with wish support on fairy type cleffable.

If I have to be honest this are the 2 Pokémon I have used the most, I simply adore them esthetically.

Gyarados is a mixed bag, it's one of my favored sweepers but I only started using him at gen 4.

I still fail to see the appeal of Pokémon following you...its freaking useless not to mention with the graphics updates it would consume important space to make decent sprites for everything in the game.

Seriously why do people want that thing in the games, heck with S&M coming the fans of following Pokémon have become brutally vocal about that useless feature.

I'm not kidding, I got bored of it in HGSS before the first gym...i can't be the only guy who finds it pointless.

I still fail to see the appeal of Pokémon following you...its freaking useless not to mention with the graphics updates it would consume important space to make decent sprites for everything in the game.

Seriously why do people want that thing in the games, heck with S&M coming the fans of following Pokémon have become brutally vocal about that useless feature.

I'm not kidding, I got bored of it in HGSS before the first gym...i can't be the only guy who finds it pointless.
No, plenty of people agree with you. I don't mind either way if they bring it back, if it is well implemented. If it is at the cost of model quality for everything, then don't do it. If the quality can be the same, at least allow us to choose not to use it.

I have quite a few actually:

- Gen 4 is overrated. The battles were slow paced, the Pokemon roster was absolutely and horrendously terrible, I had a hard time taking team galactic seriously (although Cyrus was a complete badass, and I find him ironically to be the best crime boss in the entire series). Starters were disappointing. Infernape was freaking awesome though! Sinnoh as a region really wasn't anything memorable or unique either. Nothing about the region really stood out to me. Also HG/SS wasn't really all that better from the originals. In fact,the soundtrack for the games in my opinion sucked compared to the originals. They butchered most of the great tracks from Gold and Silver.

-I actually quite like Muk's design. In my opinion it looks awesome, and its preevolution Grimer is kinda cute ;^;.

-Gen 5 had the best roster of Pokemon.

- Gen 1 has aged badly but not the point where the games are unplayable.

- They should remake the entire Pokemon anime and have it appeal to people of all ages. They should get rid of Ash and replace him with a character that both young and old fans can relate to.

-I think the water type is the most overrated type in the history of Pokemon's existence. From an in game standpoint and competitive standpoint.

Last edited:
Why do not many people like Lillipup? I think Lillipup is up there with the cutest pokemon in my opinion...
It probably has to do with Lilipup being a generic early-route-normal-type. Quite frankly, I don't find it particularly cute, if only because it looks like it had a fight with a Swiffer duster and lost. Herdier is somehow even more generic looking than Lilipup, and seems to have decided to go for round two with the Swiffer duster. Stoutland at least gets points for having a glorious mustache, and looking decently groomed.
-Gen 5 had the best roster of Pokemon.
I have to disagree here. Quite frankly, while gen 5 DID have some unique ideas, I found many of the pokemon in Gen 5 to be rather disappointing. With the exception of Lilipup, most of the early game 'mons are pretty terrible, even from an ingame standpoint. Patrat is slow to level up, has a bad evolution, and is really creepy. Pidove is lame, weak early game, and has one of the worst stat-to-movepool relationships in the series. Purrloin needs no introduction, the monkeys are gimmicky and not great, and Roggenrola was good(and hideous), until it didn't get to be a gigalith.
Basculin manages to be BOTH a generic fish thing, AND useless compared to every other water type in Gen 5.
Let's not forget zubat's worse, more annoying cousin, Woobat.
The Klink line is cool in my opinion, too bad it has no movepool to speak of.
Tynamo evolves into something powerful and quite good, but you have train the thing(and its terrible moveset) first.
I could go on, but I do have things I liked about Gen 5; but a good roster? Not really

It probably has to do with Lilipup being a generic early-route-normal-type. Quite frankly, I don't find it particularly cute, if only because it looks like it had a fight with a Swiffer duster and lost. Herdier is somehow even more generic looking than Lilipup, and seems to have decided to go for round two with the Swiffer duster. Stoutland at least gets points for having a glorious mustache, and looking decently groomed.

I have to disagree here. Quite frankly, while gen 5 DID have some unique ideas, I found many of the pokemon in Gen 5 to be rather disappointing. With the exception of Lilipup, most of the early game 'mons are pretty terrible, even from an ingame standpoint. Patrat is slow to level up, has a bad evolution, and is really creepy. Pidove is lame, weak early game, and has one of the worst stat-to-movepool relationships in the series. Purrloin needs no introduction, the monkeys are gimmicky and not great, and Roggenrola was good(and hideous), until it didn't get to be a gigalith.
Basculin manages to be BOTH a generic fish thing, AND useless compared to every other water type in Gen 5.
Tynamo evolves into something powerful and quite good, but you have train the thing(and its terrible moveset) first.
I could go on, but I do have things I liked about Gen 5; but a good roster? Not really
I also liked Stoutland because of his moustache...and the fact he knows supeower!

I think gen 5 had worse pokemon than most generations. To be honest, all generations had good and bad gimmicky pokmon so I'm not going to list everything. We probably shouldn't be all negative about pokemon...

Yeah some of those mons you mentioned were kinda stupid, but I think the vast majority of Pokemon in that region more than well make up for some of the bad apples. I actually love Gigalith D:.

Only tangentially related to Pokémon:
Pokémon is the only Nintendo IP I care about. I don't care about Mario, even less about Smash Bros and even less about the Legend of Zelda or Metroid. If it were not for Pokémon, I'd never have gotten a Nintendo console past the original Gameboy.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As I've said several times before, I think Gen V's Pokémon selection is half 'n' half. Roughly 50 % rehashed versions of previous designs, but also roughly 50 % genuniely creative and original (though not always successful) designs.

Also, have I said yet how I think Game Freak keeps doing water all wrong? Not only do the games treat all water tiles almost exactly like grass tiles, there is no acknowledgement of biomes in water. From a gameplay perspective, there is no functional difference between surfing across a small creek and crossing an ocean. Also, water areas currently look really, really bland. Modelling a seafloor of sorts, or coral reefs, patches of seaweed, underwater rocks, thermal vents or just more interesting shoreline models would help a lot with creating more varied and immersive water areas.

As the resident HG/SS fan, the thing that made walking with your lead pokemon appeal to me was immersion. Between that and the Earthbound Photo-guy who would take pictures of your entire team at different stages of the game, HG/SS made me feel connected to the pokemon I was raising. They just felt more like my partners and friends, and we were all on this journey together.

But this is just roleplaying. You are correct when you say that it added little gameplay wise and would be a lot tougher to implement with the current models for little profit. But I do feel that establishing a connection with your pokemon team is an important factor to the games, and if not established with "walking with pokemon" then needs some other way (like Pokemon-amie for example). Since pokemon don't have personalities or character arcs, developers have to get a bit more creative to establish a connection with them. Another example is the credits pictures in ORAS, showing the pokemon you used facing off against the gymleaders and bosses.

Although this might just be my own bias talking, because my favorite games are Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Paper Mario and part of what I loved about those were the little details like having your partners following you.

And now because I mentioned Paper Mario I need to go cry somewhere.

Paper Mario such a great franchise... Until recently...

Oh well, I guess role playing is a bit of a justification, but again the fact that there is little profit unless they go full blizzard and force you to use "or else..." there is little gain in the whole thing.

HG/SS was also the only Pokémon game so far with a proper menu and also managed to use the bottom screen properly.

One unpopular opinion of mine is that the in-game portion of the games tends to be ruined by 'mons that are completely broken (not counting legendaries) - Kanto has the Nidorans and Abra, Johto has Geodude and Gyarados, Hoenn has Mudkip (Ralts if you chose a different starter), Sinnoh has Starly, Unova has Drilbur and Kalos has Honedge. All of these trivialize about 95% of the main game, with the few segments where they aren't op being manageable with your starter (regardless of which one you pick).

I agree with your list.

In Kanto, I totally agree but Squirtle and Charmander make also the game too easy
In Johto, especially in Crystal, you can add Abra and Totodile with access to TM Elemental Punches. Geodude becomes less interesting after Morty, but Red Gyarados arrives at the same time :)
In Hoenn, yes I agree with Mudkip (Most in game pokemons are bad :()
In Sinnoh, you can add Chimchar to Starly.
In Unova, Drilbur, Darumaka, Sandile, Scraggy (all available around 3rd gym) are realllly powerhouses making the game a cakewalk. Magneti is also the biggest broken pokemon in all Pokemon games in Unova 2 !
In Kalos, Honedge (A Steel and a Ghost type so early ? gg) is also broken, so is Mega Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)