Unpopular opinions

Obviously it all depends on what Legendary we're talking about (and of course they'll have to be different from the ones Ash have met since a few of those were telepathic hinting they were a bit more special).

• Believable: Kanto Bird, Johto Beasts, Hoenn Regi (+ Galar Regi), Eon Duo, Deoxys, Cresselia, Heatran, Regigigas, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Swords of Justice (+ Keldeo), Meloetta, Forces of Nature, Magearna, Marshadow, Zeraora, Meltan family, Kubfu family, Zarude

• Reaching/Needs Good Excuse: Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Celebi, Jirachi, Lake Guardians, Manaphy, Victini, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Type: Null family, Guardian Deities, Cosmog family, Necrozma, Ultra Beasts, Galarian Kanto Birds

• Unbelievable: Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, Calyrex & Steeds

To explain some of my thoughts:

Deoxys: There are multiple Deoxys and it just seems like luck if one lands on Earth. Whose to say one didn't somewhere and was caught? Heck, could be used as a good "alien conspiracy" gag. No, the government/space program isn't covering up an alien encounter, it was just a Deoxys.
Regigigas: This is borderline, BUT if someone got the other Regis I wouldn't raise an eyebrow against them having searched for a Regigigas.
Shaymin: There's plenty of them around. Sure, you gotta let them migrate, but there's nothing saying they can't come back.
Swords of Justice: Now, these can't be the same Swords of Justice that Ash & co. met which were telepathic, those seem to be a special group semi-serving a Kyurem. But I don't see why there can't be others who aren't serving a higher Legendary but more on their own so are a bit more "wild".

Mewtwo, Type: Null family, & Genesect: Like, you need a secret lab and ethically questionable scientists (or it being a government secret project), BUT I could see more being made.
Ho-Oh & Lugia: Now, we've seen there's more than one Lugia and upon seeing the other Lugia it never quite felt "out-of-reach", so why would it's counterpart Ho-Oh be? Still need a good excuse, and it would more likely just be a "befriended" situation rather than a "captured", but I'm open to the idea.
Celebi: Like, it's a seemingly immortal time traveler, what does it care if it spends a few decades with a human? Would be a fun experience, will just need to contact a past/future self to check on the forest its protecting.
Jirachi: Honestly the big problem with it is that it goes into a cocoon to sleep for a thousand years (oh, and it has the reality breaking power to grant wishes). BUT if say the Poke Ball can delay the metamorphosis and without the sleep doesn't have enough power to warp reality, eh sure.
Lake Guardians: Now there would seem to be only one of each just like the other Spacetime Dragons, BUT part of me thinks there could be others due to their roles. One, they're meant to spread the capability of feeling emotions, understanding knowledge, and having willpower; for them to do that for a whole planet seems like a bit much for just three all in Sinnoh; maybe Arceus planted several around the globe at key points. Also, they're meant to bind the Spacetime Dragons if they get uppity, may want to have a few spares around if something were to happen to the most convenient trio.
Manaphy: Sort of in the same boat as Shaymin but there seems to be less Manaphy around, probably due to many not fully forming from being a Phione.
Guardian Deities: Another group you'd think there would only be one of (at least per dimension), BUT we don't really get much lore on them besides being worshipped as the guardians of Alola. So I'm willing to leave it open there could be other members hopping about other islands and fitting locations and the ones in Alola are just either extra special or the "main ones" at the moment.
Necrozma: I feel there could be more, it is an (semi?) Ultra Beast so we may just not know its home dimension.
Ultra Beast: You just need an Ultra Wormhole to open up and drop one in... very very very (many "very"s later) VERY unlikely... but you can't really say not impossible.
Galarian Kanto Birds: Now, they're probably super rare if not one of a kind... but that doesn't mean they're any harder to capture than the normal Kanto Birds. Heck, who knows, maybe they'll have Goh catch all of them.

And the remaining unbelievable Pokemon are because they're essentially deities being super powerful and/or one-of-a-kind (or close enough to it).
Pretty much. Most of the Believable section, and some of the Reaching, are just normal Pokemon, but rarer. We've seen multiple Lati@s, Kanto Birds, even Mew etc so it'd make sense for some trainers to have them in their possession

Last edited:
As a reminder, some npc trainers in the Black Skyscraper/White Tree Hollow carried legendaries with them, not to mention the many trainers you find in the postgame facilities like the Tower, Frontier, etc.

Also, I remember that Joy already appeared before twice. One during a Kanto episode where she was undercover in a city with two abusive unofficial leaders, and other in a Chronicles episode where she was inspecting Cerulean's gym. Not sure if it's the same Joy, though.

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
My unpopular Pokemon opinions:

May is my favorite Pokemon anime character and I love her because she is so much like me. I think she needs a Latias and a Kyogre to take the stage in contests. (PS I want to cosplay May)

Pokemon Platinum is the best and Pokemon Sapphire is second best. I don't give no shit for the Nintendo switch as long as I've got my old DS lite around.

Raichu is better than Pikachu because it's cute but powerful.

I think battle towers/frontiers should have a Hell Hardcore mode where you can enter with 6 Pokemon at Level 100 including legendaries... But you can expect opponents to just jump in with their own legendaries!!! It's more fun with Giratina to get me to the top but also give a typical geneunner their Mewtwo to use.

Pokemon hacking should not be frowned upon; it is necessary for obtaining past events and some people will actually make the game more challenging with it. For example, I like to create death-hardcore custom tournaments for Pokemon black 2 at the PWT.

And those are my super unpopular opinions that many people hate me for, and by the way I've even been punched by a guy who hated my Pokemon hacking.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
May is my favorite Pokemon anime character and I love her because she is so much like me.
Nothing unpopular about that at all...

I think she needs a Latias and a Kyogre to take the stage in contests. (PS I want to cosplay May)
:psynervous: Well, uh, I think it's safe to assume the Kyogre option is out... but the Latias could maybe be an option. Ash has Melmetal and Goh has Suicune, so main characters are being allowed to have Legendaries now.

I think battle towers/frontiers should have a Hell Hardcore mode where you can enter with 6 Pokemon at Level 100 including legendaries... But you can expect opponents to just jump in with their own legendaries!!! It's more fun with Giratina to get me to the top but also give a typical geneunner their Mewtwo to use.
A neat idea though I wouldn't count as non-Legendaries. Smogon Ubers and OU (and Anything Goes) list is enough proof to show it's not a Pokemon's raw BST or in-game status that should be considered but how its stats are distributed and what tools it has at its disposal.

And those are my super unpopular opinions that many people hate me for, and by the way I've even been punched by a guy who hated my Pokemon hacking.
WHAT?! That's extreme for a batch of data. :blobtriumph: Sorry to hear that happened.

My opinion on hacking on always been mixed. Honestly, I was never against it... but I was weary of having a hacked Pokemon cause I was afraid something would be wrong with it and it would corrupt my game file. Since I don't really know how to hack I would have to get it from someone else. However if you know how to hack and know what you're doing then go right ahead. I would feel a bit iffy if a hacked Pokemon was used to participate & even win a tournament, but if no one is ever told than none the wiser as a fair hack should be no different than one that is legitimate. However for dex completion and personal own playthroughts that's fair game, especially if you're doing it to make an interesting challenge/experiment.

My unpopular Pokemon opinions:

May is my favorite Pokemon anime character and I love her because she is so much like me. I think she needs a Latias and a Kyogre to take the stage in contests. (PS I want to cosplay May)
I grew up watching gen 3/4 anime so she's high up there for me as well. Her fight against Drew in the Kanto Grand Festival is a moment I will never forget I fear

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? in regards to Latios/Kyogre

May having a Latias would be cool as hell honestly.

As mentioned above I think there needs to be less Taboo over characters in Pokemon owning certain Legendaries and Mythicals. My only problem with it is that it seems like it's not always executed that well

That said, she definitely doesn't need a Kyogre.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When it comes to the game rules, legendaries fall into two distinct categories: the sub-legendaries (which I historically like to call minor legendaries), which have 580-600 BST most of the time and are allowed in most battle facilities and official competitive formats (and are not auto-banned to Uber in Smogon), and then there's the special legendaries (the cover legends, or as I like to call them, major legendaries), which have 680+ BST more often than not, barring the base forms of Zygarde and Necrozma, who are not allowed in most battle facilities or official competitive formats and are often Uber by default in Smogon formats.

The anime seems to recognize this distinction to an extent, and my understanding with regards to this is that sub-legendaries are 100% fair game for Trainers to own in the anime universe, especially nowadays. We saw the infamous Tobias with Darkrai and Latios, and while the former is a mythical, it is closer statistically to a sub-legendary and Latios is obviously a minor legendary. Someone in the Sinnoh League also had a Heatran. Not to mention Brandon owns all three of the original Regis, and Noland used an Articuno he was friends with even if he didn't officially own it. The clearest exceptions to the rule are the lake guardians and the Tapus, who there are only one specimen of each and they are elusive to most, not to mention they are so deeply entrenched into their respective regions.

The major legendaries, like Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, and all cover legendaries including third wheel ones like Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde, and Necrozma, are all out of the question in terms of Trainers owning them. They are practically deities in their own right and are beyond the control of any Trainer in the anime universe, and most certainly not the type any ordinary Trainer would be able to own. Kyogre for example is a major legendary and thus it would be completely out of the question for anyone to actually catch and own one in the anime.

When it comes to the game rules, legendaries fall into two distinct categories: the sub-legendaries (which I historically like to call minor legendaries), which have 580-600 BST most of the time and are allowed in most battle facilities and official competitive formats (and are not auto-banned to Uber in Smogon), and then there's the special legendaries (the cover legends, or as I like to call them, major legendaries), which have 680+ BST more often than not, barring the base forms of Zygarde and Necrozma, who are not allowed in most battle facilities or official competitive formats and are often Uber by default in Smogon formats.

The anime seems to recognize this distinction to an extent, and my understanding with regards to this is that sub-legendaries are 100% fair game for Trainers to own in the anime universe, especially nowadays. We saw the infamous Tobias with Darkrai and Latios, and while the former is a mythical, it is closer statistically to a sub-legendary and Latios is obviously a minor legendary. Someone in the Sinnoh League also had a Heatran. Not to mention Brandon owns all three of the original Regis, and Noland used an Articuno he was friends with even if he didn't officially own it. The clearest exceptions to the rule are the lake guardians and the Tapus, who there are only one specimen of each and they are elusive to most, not to mention they are so deeply entrenched into their respective regions.

The major legendaries, like Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, and all cover legendaries including third wheel ones like Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde, and Necrozma, are all out of the question in terms of Trainers owning them. They are practically deities in their own right and are beyond the control of any Trainer in the anime universe, and most certainly not the type any ordinary Trainer would be able to own. Kyogre for example is a major legendary and thus it would be completely out of the question for anyone to actually catch and own one in the anime.
I would also say most mythical Pokemon fall into the 580-600 BST category of Legendaries. Pokemon like Darkrai, Celebi, Magearna, Melmetal Marshadow (I think) etc are known to have more than one out there. They're just very rare, hence the "mythical" marker. There are some possible exceptions like Volcanion and Hoopa but for me the only difference between something like Marshadow and Latios is that one is locked behind stupid events. It's also not allowed in any battle facilities online battle facilities but again, that's probably because of the whole mythical and limited status.

Last edited:

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
May having a Latias would be cool as hell honestly.

As mentioned above I think there needs to be less Taboo over characters in Pokemon owning certain Legendaries and Mythicals. My only problem with it is that it seems like it's not always executed that well

That said, she definitely doesn't need a Kyogre.
She needs a Kyogre. May is adorable and a princess needs water for her glory. Besides may doesn't have any other good water Pokemon, and Kyogre could make good contrast in double battles with Blaziken during contests. Finally, May's glaceon would work well with Kyogre.

Mewtwo Strikes Back is overrated
The extended opening post 1999 releases is a sad but good story (though I heard the Radio drama was more in depth), but the rest of the movie heavily fell into the following issues
-For pondering life/one's existence, Mewtwo's actions heavily contradicted it. It's one thing to challenge trainers, it's another to steal their Pokemon, forcibly clone them, and then wipe everyone's memories so no one learned anything from all this. Legitimately I don't blame 4Kids for making him a blatant villain; all his actions were too contradictory otherwise, and the resentment to humans and life in general is still there
-For a Pokemon movie, the main anime stars were weirdly sidelined. Team Rocket especially had 0 point being there even for movie standards, and Ash and co were sidelined until Ash gets stoned. I'll give props to 4Kids for Meowth's quote being surprisingly great, but they legit had 0 material to work with TR unlike the main anime, and the Alakazam/Scyther bit is criticized
-Mew's actions of being Chaotic neutral to accept mons fighting to death is...bizarre. All it's body language showed was curiosity and playfulness throughout scenes. Not surprised dub changed this so it was more "good"
-The CG edits post 99 suck, though all movies after have poor CG, so...
-Most of the action halts once Ash and Co are in the island. For an "adventure" it immediately gets dragged out to be "Mewtwo scoffs Charizard, catches everyone's mons, then leaves for a bit, until they're accidentally freed later for the brawl"

In other word's, Shudo's hardon for Mewtwo hurt the narrative

Don't get me wrong, the presentation of Mewtwo's power, Giovanni's manipulation, and the past Mewtwo flashback with Amber2 are great. The scenery was interesting too until it got repetitive. But the movie stagnated hard and contradicted itself, no matter how hype it was
I will say though: this incidentally made the movie more unique than others, as for once it's not "Ash is the prophecy" like so many were
Overall the Lugia and Celebi movies were better

Also Jay Goede >> Dan Green as Mewtwo

Also, really TCPi? A riceball joke in the remake?
:psyangry:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
She needs a Kyogre. May is adorable and a princess needs water for her glory. Besides may doesn't have any other good water Pokemon, and Kyogre could make good contrast in double battles with Blaziken during contests. Finally, May's glaceon would work well with Kyogre.
Honestly it would make more sense for May to have a Manaphy than a Kyogre.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I should be shocked by this but I'm not at all, I once had someone send me a death threat because I mentioned the Arceus I was trading someone else (not him) had been cloned (not by me). The Internet can be such a fun place sometimes...

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I should be shocked by this but I'm not at all, I once had someone send me a death threat because I mentioned the Arceus I was trading someone else (not him) had been cloned (not by me). The Internet can be such a fun place sometimes...
Ah yes, the classic. How dare two people agree to trade an illegitimate thing in a fake video game!

Mewtwo Strikes Back is overrated
The extended opening post 1999 releases is a sad but good story (though I heard the Radio drama was more in depth), but the rest of the movie heavily fell into the following issues
-For pondering life/one's existence, Mewtwo's actions heavily contradicted it. It's one thing to challenge trainers, it's another to steal their Pokemon, forcibly clone them, and then wipe everyone's memories so no one learned anything from all this. Legitimately I don't blame 4Kids for making him a blatant villain; all his actions were too contradictory otherwise, and the resentment to humans and life in general is still there
-For a Pokemon movie, the main anime stars were weirdly sidelined. Team Rocket especially had 0 point being there even for movie standards, and Ash and co were sidelined until Ash gets stoned. I'll give props to 4Kids for Meowth's quote being surprisingly great, but they legit had 0 material to work with TR unlike the main anime, and the Alakazam/Scyther bit is criticized
-Mew's actions of being Chaotic neutral to accept mons fighting to death is...bizarre. All it's body language showed was curiosity and playfulness throughout scenes. Not surprised dub changed this so it was more "good"
-The CG edits post 99 suck, though all movies after have poor CG, so...
-Most of the action halts once Ash and Co are in the island. For an "adventure" it immediately gets dragged out to be "Mewtwo scoffs Charizard, catches everyone's mons, then leaves for a bit, until they're accidentally freed later for the brawl"

In other word's, Shudo's hardon for Mewtwo hurt the narrative

Don't get me wrong, the presentation of Mewtwo's power, Giovanni's manipulation, and the past Mewtwo flashback with Amber2 are great. The scenery was interesting too until it got repetitive. But the movie stagnated hard and contradicted itself, no matter how hype it was
I will say though: this incidentally made the movie more unique than others, as for once it's not "Ash is the prophecy" like so many were
Overall the Lugia and Celebi movies were better

Also Jay Goede >> Dan Green as Mewtwo

Also, really TCPi? A riceball joke in the remake?
:psyangry:
- I mean, why wouldn't Mewtwo not resent humans after his experiences with the scientists and Giovanni. Something I didnt like about Returns is that Mewtwo didnt erase Giovanni's memories (the only truly evil character in this movie and he didn't erase his memories...), which I assumed that memory wipe in the end affected everyone in the world and not just the people in the island.

- Yeaaaah, the movies tend to sideline everyone that isn't Ash. Team Rocket gets better treatment in some movies like 2000 and 3, although here Meowth gets pretty poignant dialogue with his clone.

- Oh I HATED this 4kids change and what they did to Mewtwo as it turns this plot into a generic Good vs Evil plot. Mew being a loving hero makes no sense since it continued the conflict instead of trying to stop it.

- New Island looks weird at times, yeah. Although the worst CG has ever looked in a Pokemon movie was imo 4ever.

- The advertising for this movie was kinda weird yeah. For example, one trailer hypes it up like the Ultimate Pokemon battle, to which we know that isnt the case. I suppose the adventure part was braving the storm? (which tbf I like that part a lot)

I can somewhat agree with your take on Shudo. Most of the plans and setting he had for the anime were not considered adequate for the franchise's public target and he himself was disappointed over how little control it had with it. Mewtwo Strikes Back was probably the most it got away with it, with its concept of life questions, the recent at the time cloning experiments, the on screen deaths of the scientists (and people saying the Zarude movie did that first lmao). Not like Shudo has to be right just because he's the creator, I love the third movie and that wasn't on his plans for example...

That being said, I find Pokemon 2000 to be the weakest one in the Shudo trilogy for his tired prophecy concept (although I found out that was another 4kids screw up), a lame villain after freaking Mewtwo and a love triangle that has no purpose in the story; although I still think it's a good movie, just...#10...#11 favorite one?

Last edited:
- I mean, why wouldn't Mewtwo not resent humans after his experiences with the scientists and Giovanni. Something I didnt like about Returns is that Mewtwo didnt erase Giovanni's memories (the only truly evil character in this movie and he didn't erase his memories...), which I assumed that memory wipe in the end affected everyone in the world and not just the people in the island.

- Yeaaaah, the movies tend to sideline everyone that isn't Ash. Team Rocket gets better treatment in some movies like 2000 and 3, although here Meowth gets pretty poignant dialogue with his clone.

- Oh I HATED this 4kids change and what they did to Mewtwo as it turns this plot into a generic Good vs Evil plot. Mew being a loving hero makes no sense since it continued the conflict instead of trying to stop it.

- New Island looks weird at times, yeah. Although the worst CG has ever looked in a Pokemon movie was imo 4ever.

- The advertising for this movie was kinda weird yeah. For example, one trailer hypes it up like the Ultimate Pokemon battle, to which we know that isnt the case. I suppose the adventure part was braving the storm? (which tbf I like that part a lot)

I can somewhat agree with your take on Shudo. Most of the plans and setting he had for the anime were not considered adequate for the franchise's public target and he himself was disappointed over how little control it had with it. Mewtwo Strikes Back was probably the most it got away with it, with its concept of life questions, the recent at the time cloning experiments, the on screen deaths of the scientists (and people saying the Zarude movie did that first lmao). Not like Shudo has to be right just because he's the creator, I love the third movie and that wasn't on his plans for example...

That being said, I find Pokemon 2000 to be the weakest one in the Shudo trilogy for his tired prophecy concept (although I found out that was another 4kids screw up), a lame villain after freaking Mewtwo and a love triangle that has no purpose in the story; although I still think it's a good movie, just...#10...#11 favorite one?
No I'm not mad Mewtwo was resentful
I'm mad that he kept pulling the "what am I?" Card while contradictingly taking everyone's stuff, with no real intention to battle them. It feels like an anime with a villain that flips their will on a whim, only people weirdly justify it cuz the dub made his resolve less "what am I"
And even then, that still was in the dub, just less the focus. Because Mewtwo legit was going beyond overboard in his actions
And also, Ash had little to no involvement in the movie until he "died". When your star is shafted, there's definitely issues
You can't ask philosophy and then contradict it. That's amateurish
I feel a better presentation would be if he wanted to keep the philosophical aspect was to see how unrelated people view him as a monster after escaping from Giovanni, and then see how that'll gradually leave him bitter and abandon his principles
Not just plop him immediately on a totally not evil island with cloning equipment, then haughtily send invites to everyone to prove his strength
(and brainwash a random NPC)
It's like morality was on a roulette wheel. And Shudo really didn't know how to use morality given Mew as well was WTH
It reminds me of Pixar's UP. The first 5 min of the movie's great (in this case, Amber's backstory, escaping from Giovanni)
And then the rest is confusing and a slog
Don't frame this as a "dubs worse". It was very flawed in sub regardless

Pokemon don't always need complex, intricate designs to be good in my opinion. For example, Ursaring is literally just a bear with a ring on it's belly, yet I think it's pretty cool. Charizard is just a dragon and yet it's one of the most popular Pokemon ever.

Some designs are bad because they're too simple of course, but I think Pokemon that are kinda just "a thing" can still be cool

I think there's a difference between simple and uninspired.

Many good pokémon are simple. They're various ideas put tight into one concise design. Overdesigning is a real issue.

A lot of pokémon people complain about being bad because they're too simple aren't bad because of that, they're bad because they're uninspired. There's very little thought put into the likes of pidgey, rattata, etc etc.

Am I seriously like the only person who likes Eiscue?

1636253748670.png

Like sure it's derpy without the Noice Face (the no-Ice pun I only got when it was pointed out, A+ wordplay imo) but I love the Ability with the weird uncanny cold unending stare of Ice Face and and anything that makes me think of Pengu (even if I've never seen it) is pretty amusing, check out this GIF:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/TVPJNp47j5EA0/giphy.gif

In all seriousness, derpy Pokemon yes, but I find it kinda endearing in a vein similar to Quagsire in the levels of not giving a crap of anything, sure it's basic but I still kinda like it. Worst Pokemon ever? For sure no, that's...still probably Heatmor outside of joke mons to me. Does it copy Mimikyu Ability-wise? Kinda. But it's fine, at least to me.

View attachment 383458
Like sure it's derpy without the Noice Face (the no-Ice pun I only got when it was pointed out, A+ wordplay imo) but I love the Ability with the weird uncanny cold unending stare of Ice Face and and anything that makes me think of Pengu (even if I've never seen it) is pretty amusing, check out this GIF:

In all seriousness, derpy Pokemon yes, but I find it kinda endearing in a vein similar to Quagsire in the levels of not giving a crap of anything, sure it's basic but I still kinda like it. Worst Pokemon ever? For sure no, that's...still probably Heatmor outside of joke mons to me. Does it copy Mimikyu Ability-wise? Kinda. But it's fine, at least to me.
It's a little penguin. What's not to like about it?

I mean, the only reason I didn't use it on my Sword playthrough was because it's Shield-exclusive (well, until later raid events made it available, but it wasn't a case at that point).

View attachment 383458

I love Eiscue! It was actually a star player on my first VGC team for SwShwhich was a Hail Team. Manage to get top 100 in the Masterball Tier. Eiscue would take a hit thanks to Ice Face and be able to set up Belly Drum. Then Abomasnow would switch in and reset the Hail, giving Eiscue a free hit. Eiscue could also reset Ice Face by switching between Max Hailstorm and Geyser. Its extremely valuable for stalling out Dynamax of opposing Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)