Unpopular opinions

The delta episode had interesting story, and awesome music, but rather dull gameplay. So like most RPG sidequests to be honest. I think the problem with it was that it didn't really unlock any new areas to explore - you just flew/soared from spot to spot beating underlevelled Magma/Aqua grunts mostly.

New unpopular opinion: I like the voice acting in Pokken Tournament.

I really didn't like ORAS and the fact that it ignored many of the storyline and content additions from Emerald.
On Storyline: Why would they hybridize Ruby and Sapphire's plot again? That made sense for Emerald, not ORAS. And this isn't a simple thing like the Suicune plot in Crystal and HGSS since it barely affects anything and they simply moved Suicune to the post game in Kanto instead of replacing Ho-Oh's placement in Gold's plot.
Content: The only major content Emerald had was the Battle Frontier (which should have been added). The rest were mechanical or simple changes or something to accommodate the fact that Emerald was a single game where Ruby and Sapphire weren't (Latis, etc.). And many of the mechanical and simple changes were still in there (NPC Multi Battles, all of the major and minor changes to make various abilities and items more useful, like Magma Armor and Synchronize*). I mean, it even kept the Johto starters and added the Sinnoh and Unova starters as well!
To be angry at the lack of a Frontier is fine, but to act like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire should be identical to Emerald is mind boggling.

*Well, some where further improved in later generations.

On Storyline: Why would they hybridize Ruby and Sapphire's plot again? That made sense for Emerald, not ORAS. And this isn't a simple thing like the Suicune plot in Crystal and HGSS since it barely affects anything and they simply moved Suicune to the post game in Kanto instead of replacing Ho-Oh's placement in Gold's plot.
Content: The only major content Emerald had was the Battle Frontier (which should have been added). The rest were mechanical or simple changes or something to accommodate the fact that Emerald was a single game where Ruby and Sapphire weren't (Latis, etc.). And many of the mechanical and simple changes were still in there (NPC Multi Battles, all of the major and minor changes to make various abilities and items more useful, like Magma Armor and Synchronize*). I mean, it even kept the Johto starters and added the Sinnoh and Unova starters as well!
To be angry at the lack of a Frontier is fine, but to act like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire should be identical to Emerald is mind boggling.

*Well, some where further improved in later generations.
I didn't expect Alpha sapphire and omega Ruby to be based off Emerald, because obviously they're based off of sapphire and Ruby, I'm just annoyed because (in my opinion) Emerald was just a significantly better game that Ruby or sapphire and therefore should have been remade instead of them. Everything about Emerald is just superior, and making ORAS instead of an Emerald remake was a lost opportunity from my point of view. It made sense for Nintendo, cause 2 games make more money than one game, but it's still disappointing. Also, the lack of the battle frontier and the delta episode only added insult to injury.

It is a legitimate gripe that remakes don't address or fix some problems of the originals even if other titles did. It's like Gamefreak is trying to keep the spirit of the original games for all the wrong reasons.

Emerald did have more than just Battle Frontier, it also had gym leader rematches for one, something that Gamefreak really goes back and forth on including. I also really didn't like what ORAS did to the game corner. While I know they couldn't keep it, what they did instead just seemed spiteful (like they didn't need the passive aggressive message, they could have just removed the booth entirely if they didn't want to replace it with a mini-game or something). ORAS had a really weird Berry Master's Garden too, in this donut layout that wasn't as productive as X/Y or R/S/E's berry gardens. The TM expansion was great, but TM's on the mirage islands weren't that great (even if luckily most weren't that good. I'd riot if ice beam was stuck in those RNG islands).

I'm indifferent about the Contests, as they did make them more accessible but at the same time super easy, unlike before when they were kind of challenging and really inaccessible. But I'll give props for Gamefreak for trying.

I'm not doing to deny that ORAS is better as a whole product and did add a lot onto the original games. They made Magma and Aqua actually cool villains instead of the worst teams in the series, and Sea Mauville was an interesting experiment in interactive storytelling. But I'm also recognizing that some things were lost in the shift, even if they were minor.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
They didn't need to use Emerald's story for ORAS, but they could've at least included some elements to Emerald. Even if they didn't add the frontier, there are several elements they could've included, like the Emerald-exclusive areas such as the Mirage Tower, or giving characters such as Juan and Wallace some importance to the main story. The only thing related to Emerald that we saw in ORAS was the Delta episode, which was more like a tedious side quest with a major Mary Sue that punched some major plot holes in the story; absolutely nothing to do with Emerald beyond the battle with Wallace.

The remakes are supposed to be designed to fix the issues of the older games and introduce new elements to the fold in order to make them better. It worked especially well for HGSS, but for the Hoenn games, Emerald still remains the best game among the Hoenn saga in terms of content and overall difficulty. Not to say ORAS are bad games, but there were a lot of elements that could've been included to make them better compared to the GBA games.

Edit: ninja'd, somewhat

It is a legitimate gripe that remakes don't address or fix some problems of the originals even if other titles did. It's like Gamefreak is trying to keep the spirit of the original games for all the wrong reasons.

Emerald did have more than just Battle Frontier, it also had gym leader rematches for one, something that Gamefreak really goes back and forth on including. I also really didn't like what ORAS did to the game corner. While I know they couldn't keep it, what they did instead just seemed spiteful (like they didn't need the passive aggressive message, they could have just removed the booth entirely if they didn't want to replace it with a mini-game or something). ORAS had a really weird Berry Master's Garden too, in this donut layout that wasn't as productive as X/Y or R/S/E's berry gardens. The TM expansion was great, but TM's on the mirage islands weren't that great (even if luckily most weren't that good. I'd riot if ice beam was stuck in those RNG islands).

I'm indifferent about the Contests, as they did make them more accessible but at the same time super easy, unlike before when they were kind of challenging and really inaccessible. But I'll give props for Gamefreak for trying.

I'm not doing to deny that ORAS is better as a whole product and did add a lot onto the original games. They made Magma and Aqua actually cool villains instead of the worst teams in the series, and Sea Mauville was an interesting experiment in interactive storytelling. But I'm also recognizing that some things were lost in the shift, even if they were minor.
I agree with most of what you had to say, but I completely disagree with the assertion that pre ORAS team aqua and magma were the worst teams in the series. I honestly think they were the best, they both truly believed that what they were doing was what was best for the world. No other team has that going for them, all the others only strive to achieve the selfish demands of their lunatic leaders. Even team plasma, whose plan might sound humane, is just being manipulated for ther purposes by their leader. Although team Aqua and team magma are misguided, they're not at all inherently evil. They even try to right their wrongs once they realize the gravity of their mistake. In my opinion I don't feel as though ORAS really affected their legacy for the better or worse. The only other team in my eyes that rivals them is team galactic.

Agree with most of the ORAS criticism above, especially re: Delta Episode, which was complete fanservice with a terrible storyline for everyone who wanted to fly a rocket into space and find Deoxys. It added maybe an additional hour or two of gameplay to postgame, which I personally found tedious, whereas Battle Frontier would have made post-game more interesting and fresh. I will never get over the lack of Battle Pike remake, by far my favorite facility in the originals.

(Hey, maybe they purposely didn't make ORAS include elements of Emerald so that the original Emerald would still have sales! /lightbulb]

Now for something more frivolous - I think shiny Mega Latis and shiny Megazard X look absolutely terrible palette-wise. Who decided that puke green would be a good mega color? It's like GameFreak thumbing their noses at every Charizard fanboy who raised that sexy, black Charizard only to have it turn into a big dragon whose green scales clashed with its blue flames.

Last edited:
Agree with most of the ORAS criticism agove, especially re: Delta Episode, which was complete fanservice with a terrible storyline for everyone who wanted to fly a rocket into space and find Deoxys. It added maybe an additional hour or two of gameplay to postgame, which I personally found tedious, whereas Battle Frontier would have made post-game more interesting and fresh. I will never get over the lack of Battle Pike remake, by far my favorite facility in the originals.

(Hey, maybe they purposely didn't make ORAS include elements of Emerald so that the original Emerald would still have sales! /lightbulb]

Now for something more frivolous - I think shiny Mega Latis and shiny Megazard X look absolutely terrible palette-wise. Who decided that puke green would be a good mega color? It's like GameFreak thumbing their noses at every Charizard fanboy who raised that sexy, black Charizard only to have it turn into a big dragon whose green scales clashed with its blue flames.
Agreed it looks terrible. This pleases me.

Reactions: JES
Honestly I think a good chunk of shinies look bad, so I don't really give a shit about them in general. I mean, if I found one in the wild or something, I'd still catch it, because they're rare and all. And there are some I think are cool. But I never actively hunt for them or breed for them.

The thing that's especially annoying about Mega Shinies being bad is that previously in the series, Shinies' colours were mostly decided by a simply algorithm of whatever colour was next to the base Pokémon's colour in the palette. Which made sense; aside from maybe a few standouts it saves a lot of work and effort to just wire it that way.
But since we don't have sprites anymore, Game Freak don't have that luxury. They have to manually choose the colours. This has resulted in some really cool things like Greninja, Aegislash and Mega Gengar... but then things like Mega Charizard X are a real headscratcher. This isn't just an unfortunate side effect of the algorithm you made; you specifically chose those colours manually.

Agree with most of the ORAS criticism above, especially re: Delta Episode, which was complete fanservice with a terrible storyline for everyone who wanted to fly a rocket into space and find Deoxys. It added maybe an additional hour or two of gameplay to postgame, which I personally found tedious, whereas Battle Frontier would have made post-game more interesting and fresh. I will never get over the lack of Battle Pike remake, by far my favorite facility in the originals.

1) Shiny Mega Charizard-Y still looks, as you put it, sexy.
2) They really should have made Shiny Mega Charizard-X orange.

The thing that's especially annoying about Mega Shinies being bad is that previously in the series, Shinies' colours were mostly decided by a simply algorithm of whatever colour was next to the base Pokémon's colour in the palette. Which made sense; aside from maybe a few standouts it saves a lot of work and effort to just wire it that way.
But since we don't have sprites anymore, Game Freak don't have that luxury. They have to manually choose the colours. This has resulted in some really cool things like Greninja, Aegislash and Mega Gengar... but then things like Mega Charizard X are a real headscratcher. This isn't just an unfortunate side effect of the algorithm you made; you specifically chose those colours manually.
Green means luck, gains dragon type.

It's a lucky dragon. It makes sense.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree with most of what you had to say, but I completely disagree with the assertion that pre ORAS team aqua and magma were the worst teams in the series. I honestly think they were the best, they both truly believed that what they were doing was what was best for the world. No other team has that going for them, all the others only strive to achieve the selfish demands of their lunatic leaders. Even team plasma, whose plan might sound humane, is just being manipulated for ther purposes by their leader. Although team Aqua and team magma are misguided, they're not at all inherently evil. They even try to right their wrongs once they realize the gravity of their mistake. In my opinion I don't feel as though ORAS really affected their legacy for the better or worse. The only other team in my eyes that rivals them is team galactic.
I like Team Galactic and all, but it was staffed by a bunch of idiots who didn't really know what they were working towards. Plasma's grunts at least knew their goal, even if they were being played like fiddles.

I like Team Galactic and all, but it was staffed by a bunch of idiots who didn't really know what they were working towards. Plasma's grunts at least knew their goal, even if they were being played like fiddles.
Team Galactic and Team Flare seem like old fashioned doomsday cults. Neither Galactic nor Flare grunts really knew the extent of their team's mission and most of them probably weren't aware that their mission would result in nearly or actually everyone in the world being killed. It's just like doomsday cults not knowing that they are going to kill themselves until it happens.

It's why I actually like those two evil teams. They're doomsday cults that were purposely never told the whole details.

EDIT: And Team Flare consists of a bit of Scientology in that they require you to spend a ridiculous amount of money to become a part of it.

Team Galactic and Team Flare seem like old fashioned doomsday cults. Neither Galactic nor Flare grunts really knew the extent of their team's mission and most of them probably weren't aware that their mission would result in nearly or actually everyone in the world being killed. It's just like doomsday cults not knowing that they are going to kill themselves until it happens.

It's why I actually like those two evil teams. They're doomsday cults that were purposely never told the whole details.

EDIT: And Team Flare consists of a bit of Scientology in that they require you to spend a ridiculous amount of money to become a part of it.
The idea that Team Flare is a Scientology paraogy immediately endears me to them a thousandfold.

The idea that Team Flare is a Scientology paraogy immediately endears me to them a thousandfold.
They make a few references to paying joining fees or that you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to buy the uniform which is required to join. And considering the most famous cult that requires you to pay money nowadays is Scientology and that being a part of Scientology makes you downright better than everyone not in Scientology according to them, it fits my headcanon at least.

Plasma isn't PETA, it is most like the pacifist religious group with a Messiah and a hook for people to believe in them that turns up to be a paramilitary group bend on political domination.

NEO Plasma is the paramilitary group without the cover.

Flare is most like an apocalyptic cult than scientology, I mean scientology is a scam, but this guys where bent on being the only ones in a new world, that's kind of one of the modus operandi of most cash grab cults where the head escapes with millions after scamming the life out of many, making every woman his wife and probably luring them into mass suicide when they have nothing left...

Peoole are scary...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Plasma isn't PETA, it is most like the pacifist religious group with a Messiah and a hook for people to believe in them that turns up to be a paramilitary group bend on political domination.

NEO Plasma is the paramilitary group without the cover.

Flare is most like an apocalyptic cult than scientology, I mean scientology is a scam, but this guys where bent on being the only ones in a new world, that's kind of one of the modus operandi of most cash grab cults where the head escapes with millions after scamming the life out of many, making every woman his wife and probably luring them into mass suicide when they have nothing left...

Peoole are scary...
Obviously you haven't read on about the current president of PETA and the extreme actions they do in the name of animal rights (no N allegory though unless you split the president in two: the one they show public (N) and their true motivation (Ghetsis to a lesser extent)). Also PETA supports Team Plasma (though they did this during the release of BW2 when Team Plasma were clear villains).

As for Flare, I guess a doomsday cult is more appropriate. I was trying to figure out a cult which takes in a lot of money, consider themselves superior, and thinking they'll be the last ones alive during a world ending event. Couldn't really think of what they would be called, but I guess doomsday cult is the closest we'll get to that. I guess you can consider Flare the reverse Heaven's Gate.

... you know I think this discussion is turning on a bit morbid side. I suggest we drop what each group might be based on (no matter how fun it is to draw parallels) and focus on the teams themselves.

Unpopular opinion on the teams, hmm. Well I would say I actually would like to see some kind of criminal organization in Sun & Moon, though that's obviously a Sun & Moon discussion so we can't really talk about it. But just in general I know people are tired of villain groups but I think that's just from the sour taste Team Flare left with their lackluster storyline. Especially after following Team Plasma which were great villains and really played with the idea of a villain group with them and expanded on them further with BW2. If we had a villain team with that depth or further plays with the idea of the villain group I don't think so many people would be against the idea as much. Also the villain team doesn't need to be a giant organization.

Last edited:
I will laugh my arse off if there is a real estate agent doing dirty business by impersonating as the legendary Pokémon and scaring people of the island so they sell their properties cheap and he can build a water park, an hotel or some illegal mining operation on the coral reef close by, so it's up to a band of meddling kids and their rockruff unveil his evil plan and stop him.

Rockruff ruffy Ruff!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I will laugh my arse off if there is a real estate agent doing dirty business by impersonating as the legendary Pokémon and scaring people of the island so they sell their properties cheap and he can build a water park, an hotel or some illegal mining operation on the coral reef close by, so it's up to a band of meddling kids and their rockruff unveil his evil plan and stop him.

Rockruff ruffy Ruff!
Did you just reference "Aloha, Scooby Doo!"? If so that Legendary better be a volcano spirit which surfs (with a surf board).

Did you just reference "Aloha, Scooby Doo!"? If so that Legendary better be a volcano spirit which surfs (with a surf board).
I referenced Scooby-Doo as a whole, but that movie does hit close, but I dodged the part of reselling them for bigger profits so they could fulfill their dream XD, also trying to be original, who knows there might be some oil or unobthanium plebothinum that makes Alola as a region so damn rich and diverse.

UNPOPULAR OPINION/HABIT?

I never buy any healing items in my playthroughs. I hardly find myself needing to use them and when I do, picked up ones usually suffice.

I'm just gonna assume this is unpopular because in many playthoughs i've watched, the player buys like 7 potions and 5 of each status healing item as soon as they first hit the pokemart.

UNPOPULAR OPINION/HABIT?

I never buy any healing items in my playthroughs. I hardly find myself needing to use them and when I do, picked up ones usually suffice.

I'm just gonna assume this is unpopular because in many playthoughs i've watched, the player buys like 7 potions and 5 of each status healing item as soon as they first hit the pokemart.
Wait, people buy healing items?
Usually, I only stock up on healing items when I'm about to take on the Elite Four. Other times, I'd just visit the Poke mart for Max Repels or extra Balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)