Unpopular opinions

Go back and change the palette of garbage shinies like Gengar and Garchomp. That's all they need to do.
At least you can tell they are shiny, which means if you find them you won't get screwed over by thinking they're just regular Pokemon and actually be able to get a shiny UNLIKE

WHICH ONE'S THE SHINY? Luckily Regice is a legendary so it isn't as bad but some regular Pokemon do this and you just can't tell what is shiny and what isn't.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The idea of making Shinies different types from vanilla is interesting, but ultimately kind of unfair.

At least you can tell they are shiny, which means if you find them you won't get screwed over by thinking they're just regular Pokemon and actually be able to get a shiny UNLIKE

WHICH ONE'S THE SHINY? Luckily Regice is a legendary so it isn't as bad but some regular Pokemon do this and you just can't tell what is shiny and what isn't.
Isn't the top one shiny?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
>top
I don't know what you mean by top but it's the left one. My point is that it's extremely difficult to check based off how they look alone.
I'm on mobile, so it looks like it's on the top outside of the quote.

At least I could correctly identify it.

I don't know, but there are so many pokemon that while they have gotten new moves and abilities, mega and alola formes, I just want something too shake things up. Im so used to the pokemon we have now. Any ideas?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yah, but there's so few of them and you can't catch them during the main story, so there isn't a whole lot to do with them.
What exactly are you looking for? What you said was very vague. "Something too shake things up", like how? Remember that whatever they introduce would have to work within the game's mechanics, they can't suddenly go into another RPG's system like have a Pokemon with a limit bar which gradually fills up or have a Pokemon with a "special" options separate from its moves. At best they can make an Ability which could play with the mechanics but, once again, within the confines of the mechanics.

Though if you were talking about something like how a plot or certain boss battles could go, there were the PokeStar Studios battles. Battles that went along with a script and the opponents you faced were many times not Pokemon but props which in the movie was made to look like vehicles, aliens, robots, monsters, ghosts, and human characters. I was hoping the Totem Pokemon would sort of turn out to be like that, but in the end the SOS Battle was just another battling mechanic and not anything special. Still, the PokeStar Studios battles showed that they can set up battles to be different within what the game would allow, they just need to be willing to go further with the idea.

I think I finally have an unpopular opinion:

I think Beast Balls look lame and the recent trend of breeding things in beast balls is rapidly becoming a cliche.

They're overcomplicated design-wise and therefore hard to match with a given Pokémon, the Pokemon being blue isn't nearly enough. And while initially a beast ball might have represented the lengths someone went to to actually catch something in it, that is no longer the case given how easily they spread via breeding.

Admittedly, catching decent legends in Beast Balls is an impressive feat, so I'm not dismissive of those. But... Beast Ball Rockruff? Really? Or the 3 unrelated Beast Ball Gibles I've got via Wonder Trade already?

I think I finally have an unpopular opinion:

I think Beast Balls look lame and the recent trend of breeding things in beast balls is rapidly becoming a cliche.

They're overcomplicated design-wise and therefore hard to match with a given Pokémon, the Pokemon being blue isn't nearly enough. And while initially a beast ball might have represented the lengths someone went to to actually catch something in it, that is no longer the case given how easily they spread via breeding.

Admittedly, catching decent legends in Beast Balls is an impressive feat, so I'm not dismissive of those. But... Beast Ball Rockruff? Really? Or the 3 unrelated Beast Ball Gibles I've got via Wonder Trade already?
To be fair to the Gibles, I think all dragons, legends, and (Mega) Sharpedo work well in Beast Balls. Also dear lord, Beast Ball Beldum actually makes me shudder. That sounds beyond horrific to catch.

I caught Tapu Lele in a Beast Ball on the first throw (it was paralysed and in the red HP, but still...) and I threw it as a joke.

My own unpopular but related opinion is that...

I don't care about Poke Balls. I don't get why people go to such great lengths just to get a specific Pokemon in a specific Poke Ball. I don't understand why it's worth all that effort, especially for the more annoying ones. I don't see the point and I don't get how people put up with all of the pain for the more annoying balls.

To be fair to the Gibles, I think all dragons, legends, and (Mega) Sharpedo work well in Beast Balls. Also dear lord, Beast Ball Beldum actually makes me shudder. That sounds beyond horrific to catch.
I got one in a Wonder Trade. I'm definitely breeding my Metagross in that because it shows some kind of dedication (or some kind of hacking...like the Beast Ball Porygon I got on Wonder Trade too)

I don't like Beast Balls either. With its terrible catch multiplier, I can't avoid thinking the Pokemon could be non-legit (even if it's clearly a breeding reject), plus it's ugly IMO.

I intentionally dragged my Mareanie breeding plan so that it would come in a Poke Ball rather than in a Beast Ball.

I caught Tapu Lele in a Beast Ball on the first throw (it was paralysed and in the red HP, but still...)

I don't care about Poke Balls. I don't get why people go to such great lengths just to get a specific Pokemon in a specific Poke Ball. I don't understand why it's worth all that effort, especially for the more annoying ones. I don't see the point and I don't get how people put up with all of the pain for the more annoying balls.
This. Quick Balls and Dusk Balls are bae. (Also, Timer Balls on Legendaries, Net and Dive Balls on Water-types, etc.) They don't look pretty (well, with some mons they do), they just get the job done.

This. Quick Balls and Dusk Balls are bae. (Also, Timer Balls on Legendaries, Net and Dive Balls on Water-types, etc.) They don't look pretty (well, with some mons they do), they just get the job done.
The Dusk Ball DOES look quite pretty now, expecially with Dark and Ghost types (Ex.:Aegi, Weavile), as does the Net Ball if you look at the animation as if the Pokemon is breaking free from a net/chains/constraint and ready to unleash its rage (Gyarados is a good example).
The only Pokemon I bothered getting specific balls for are my favorites (Dream Ball Gallade and Love Ball Gardy), plus Dream Ball-anything i can get my grimy hands on because it looks really good. Too bad most things in such a Ball are Dream World/Radar exclusive, or just very time consuming to get (like Ralts).

Now, on to actual opinions: I don't like most of the new Gen VII animations for the moves. Sure, things like the Signature/Z-Moves stand out, but then you ruin Close Combat by going from "death of a thousand cuts"-dynamic animation to a "lean forward + 6-or so-jabs at the opponent" type of thing, or Flamethrower, which looks so much more glowy and cartoon-y than its ORAS counterpart.

It took me 2 hours of resetting every 5-10 beast balls to catch a beldum to breed with.

That's why I said fuck it and went nest ball, the nest ball has a sideways puff effect that compliments well with metagross falling heavily into the battle field. I'm baffled at how many people dismiss nest ball for heavy Pokémon just because it is green.

Timer ball Lele is another match made in heaven that people seem to dodge out of Pokémon matching the ball color autism some have.

I did breed my own beast ball Garchomp, no regrets, it looks good.

Go back and change the palette of garbage shinies like Gengar and Garchomp. That's all they need to do.
Props to Mega Evolution for actually fixing this, in a sense, by making the shiny megas wildly different.

While I'm not a fan of the tragedy that is
Mega Garchomp per se, Mega Gengar is probably my favorite shiny.

(Edit: do we have to give credit to where the Sprites are from? Sprites courtesy of psypoke)

Last edited:
I actually have to say I don't really like the Dusk Ball now. The purple vortex is cool, but it looks somewhat too 2-dimensional.
The Timer Ball is also stupider than it was. I liked it in X / AS with it vaguely yet visibly forms clock in its effect while now it is just....
And I actually am one who somewhat cares about matching balls as that somewhat gives the Pokemon little more personality than just a measly Pokeball. Although I agree that Beast Ball doesn't look good when it doesn't match at all (at least it does on Metagross).

At least I know I'll want to breed to get a Sylveon in Beast Ball... named Elpizo (got the references? Not that their colours match but...).

Actual opinion:
I like the Poke Pelago feature, but the way Rainbow Beans can easily maximise affection in no time while being handed at least 2 per day and how Pokemon Refresh lack things PokeParlor / Amie had in XY ORAS cheapens the value of affection too much for me. I miss playing "Head It" already and the effort that makes attachment to the 'mon I play with instead of just shoving two beans.

Also, a personal grudge, but I eternally hate that six-tailed... monster. Way more than Garchomp I used to hate with passion. Call that thing cute, I call it evil. I went as far as breeding and getting a competitive Weavile as soon as I learnt now he eats Vulpix.

Also, a personal grudge, but I eternally hate that six-tailed... monster. Way more than Garchomp I used to hate with passion. Call that thing cute, I call it evil. I went as far as breeding and getting a competitive Weavile as soon as I learnt now he eats Vulpix.
Huh? Who are you talking about? I'm trying to think of something with six tails that is weak to Weavile... but I'm failing at finding it.

Huh? Who are you talking about? I'm trying to think of something with six tails that is weak to Weavile... but I'm failing at finding it.
Vulpix. Both versions (although I admit the first one can't be killed by Weavile). I have personal deep grudge after some... crazy things happened in last 2 years.
Weavile's entry, Moon: "They dwell in cold places. This Pokémon’s main food source in Alola is Vulpix and Sandshrew, which they carefully divide among their group."

Eh, Greninja'd by many....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 13)