Unpopular opinions

I didn't like the 7G. The story is boring, the Pokemon aren't very impressive (Not everyone but a huge majority). Your rival isn't a rival, he's just here to see how you are. I finished the game very fast and I was like : 'That's all ? Nothing else ?'. However, Z-Moves had an important impact in the strategy and that wasn't bad. I hope Pokemon Sword and Shield will have a good story and a huge lifetime with a massive Post-Game.

Black and White's Gym Leaders are easily the worst and/or most forgettable of any gen ever. The waiters only point was to force a monkey down your throat, the Normal one is.... something I guess, Burgh fails at his own job as a Gym Leader and is barely interesting, Elesa only has an above-average difficulty spike to her name, Clay has dat Excadrill but nothing else, Skyla wasted my time with the bell and the battle and Brycen makes me want to run around with my arms hanging out for some reason...

Only Drayden/Iris left an impression on me thanks to the fact they have dragons (Drayden literally wrestled a 5'11", 232.6 lb axe dragon and Iris is way too young to have a Druddigon). Everyone else(even most of the major character like the Rivals and the Proffesor) just didn't get me gripped on their character and the Gym. Honestly, they feel more like checkpoints than locations, which I guess fits Unova's linear style, but even then there was potential for so much more.
Okay for the triplets, sure, they were arguably the most forgettable of the bunch due to lacking relevance in the plot anywhere else. But for the other gym leaders, I disagree. Elesa finally convinces Bianca's father to let her grow up. Brycen assists you in Dragonspiral Tower. And Skyla is shown aiding an injured Pokemon. Not to mention except Iris have a secondary job. There easily the most remember-able of all leaders we have.

The Kahunas and the Trial Captains are indeed memorable though not to the point of the Unova Leaders. There characterized well, though aside from the trial, they don't have too much influence on the story other than the E4. Though I'd like to say the Trial Captains are more likable since you have to go into daily life to battle them, fleshing them out.

On a related note, I like how HGSS also provides life for the gym leaders. Like Janine bringing food for her father, or providing a bit more on Jasmine's shyness. Another nice thing they improved in the remake.
I'd like to say that Malva being a Team Flare member was a nice touch, despite them not going anywhere with it.
She might as well not be a member. Her only purpose was to enable entry to the secret levels of Lysandre Labs. They could have done that any other way. A more interesting take on the XY plot could have been wait till you reach the champion then: Oh Team Flare is about to attack from Lysandre. Malva would then try to stop you from leaving to buy time. That would have been a good plot twist.
Malva was a really interesting way to do a twist villain without it coming completely out of left field. Since up until this point in the series we'd expect gym leaders and elite four members to be pillars of morality (Giovanni's the exception, but they gave us 5 generations to forget that fact). So a character we had tangential recognition of through the holocaster revealing a vindictive and caustic backside to her newscaster facade was shocking, but also made complete sense because it had been established that the entire holocaster network was in Team Flare's control the whole time. So of course their newscaster would be on the payroll.

Honestly XY has these glimpses of interesting character moments but then nothing ever comes of them and some choices on the characters they emphasize and the ones they don't are really confounding. Like, Dexio and Sina pretty heavily play into the story but don't get battle models until Gen 7 and utilize a generic NPC model on the overworld.

But meanwhile we've got 4 team flare scientists each with a unique design and yet I bet most of you can't remember their names. It's like if you took the already underutilized Anthea and Concordia from Gen 5 and then doubled them.
View attachment 175808View attachment 175809View attachment 175810View attachment 175812

from left to right: Aliana, Bryony, Celosia, Mable.
Wow, your right. I usually remember characters ( Even the forgettable ones, yeah, I'm a big Pokemon Nerd. ) But I can barely remember their names, yet alone which one they belong to.

If there's anything good about the Team Flare, its their music. And the fact that the anime and Pokemon Generations portrayed them much better.
I didn't like the 7G. The story is boring, the Pokemon aren't very impressive (Not everyone but a huge majority). Your rival isn't a rival, he's just here to see how you are. I finished the game very fast and I was like : 'That's all ? Nothing else ?'. However, Z-Moves had an important impact in the strategy and that wasn't bad. I hope Pokemon Sword and Shield will have a good story and a huge lifetime with a massive Post-Game.
That's not really an unpopular opinion. The story was interesting, with characters having a lot of personality, just too wordy. Sadly, all rivals are probably gonna be like that. They made it clear in Let's Go that they don't do Jerk Rivals anymore because they feel that they have better ways to show off the rivals through visuals. ( Don't think its a good reason: Just because better graphics does not everyone has to mean everyone has to be pretty. I doubt SwSh will have a large post game, because GF doesn't think most fans ( aka children ) will sit along to play it. If anything, there's gonna be a small episode, a vanilla battle facility, and some legendaries to catch.

I’ll disagree with you about Hau, for one reason. He’s not the jerk, you are. He just wants to get along, have fun, and eat. You’re the one who ends up with a god-tier team and wins the championship, he’s the one who’s left behind having been helpful but not necessary while you flirt with cute blonds. He even has a Pikachu.

Okay for the triplets, sure, they were arguably the most forgettable of the bunch due to lacking relevance in the plot anywhere else. But for the other gym leaders, I disagree. Elesa finally convinces Bianca's father to let her grow up. Brycen assists you in Dragonspiral Tower. And Skyla is shown aiding an injured Pokemon. Not to mention except Iris have a secondary job. There easily the most remember-able of all leaders we have.

The Kahunas and the Trial Captains are indeed memorable though not to the point of the Unova Leaders. There characterized well, though aside from the trial, they don't have too much influence on the story other than the E4. Though I'd like to say the Trial Captains are more likable since you have to go into daily life to battle them, fleshing them out.

On a related note, I like how HGSS also provides life for the gym leaders. Like Janine bringing food for her father, or providing a bit more on Jasmine's shyness. Another nice thing they improved in the remake.

She might as well not be a member. Her only purpose was to enable entry to the secret levels of Lysandre Labs. They could have done that any other way. A more interesting take on the XY plot could have been wait till you reach the champion then: Oh Team Flare is about to attack from Lysandre. Malva would then try to stop you from leaving to buy time. That would have been a good plot twist.

Wow, your right. I usually remember characters ( Even the forgettable ones, yeah, I'm a big Pokemon Nerd. ) But I can barely remember their names, yet alone which one they belong to.

If there's anything good about the Team Flare, its their music. And the fact that the anime and Pokemon Generations portrayed them much better.

That's not really an unpopular opinion. The story was interesting, with characters having a lot of personality, just too wordy. Sadly, all rivals are probably gonna be like that. They made it clear in Let's Go that they don't do Jerk Rivals anymore because they feel that they have better ways to show off the rivals through visuals. ( Don't think its a good reason: Just because better graphics does not everyone has to mean everyone has to be pretty. I doubt SwSh will have a large post game, because GF doesn't think most fans ( aka children ) will sit along to play it. If anything, there's gonna be a small episode, a vanilla battle facility, and some legendaries to catch.
That's giving them too much credit for Sword/Shield.

Soulsilver already exists though.
But that's one game, Sword and Shield are two versions of one game. It would be like saying R can't be used for Ruby because Red already exists, and S can't be used for Sapphire and Sun because Silver exists, thus the Hoenn games should be RuSaE, and Alola games should be SuM.

I think we'll be going with SwSh.
Hence this opinion being unpopular. But the Official Press Site calls it SS anyway. See the bottom right of the page where you can download the logo. File name of the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield combined logo = Pokemon SS EN.

SS confirmed.JPG

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But the Official Press Site calls it SS anyway. See the bottom right of the page where you can download the logo. File name of the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield combined logo = Pokemon SS EN.
Haven't the abbreviations always been fan terminology anyway?

Also They're just using SS because right now they're only focused on Sword & Shield. SoulSilver is no where even on their mind, no reason to make a special exception. If the new game titles started with "G" and "S" they would use "GS", if they started with "R" and "S" they would use "RS", if "D" and "P" would be "DP", etc.. Now the fansites like Bulbapedia would probably give them different abbreviations to distinguish them from the old games, but that's because they plan on using the abbreviations to note from which games something may be from. But the official site isn't worried about that.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hence this opinion being unpopular. But the Official Press Site calls it SS anyway. See the bottom right of the page where you can download the logo. File name of the Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield combined logo = Pokemon SS EN.

View attachment 177237
Counterpoint!

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2019/04/190412_gm01.html?i001=news

from page said:
※採用された名称は、ポケモンのわざ名として『ポケモン SW・SH』以外の商品などにも使用される場合がございます。
I trust this equally as much when it comes to official acronyms, if not moreso considering that it's not just the name of an image.

Haven't the abbreviations always been fan terminology anyway?

Also They're just using SS because right now they're only focused on Sword & Shield. SoulSilver is no where even on their mind, no reason to make a special exception. If the new game titles started with "G" and "S" they would use "GS", if they started with "R" and "S" they would use "RS", if "D" and "P" would be "DP", etc.. Now the fansites like Bulbapedia would probably give them different abbreviations to distinguish them from the old games, but that's because they plan on using the abbreviations to note from which games something may be from. But the official site isn't worried about that.
Do people even use SS to mean Soul Silver on its own? It's always used as HGSS AFAIK.

Counterpoint!

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2019/04/190412_gm01.html?i001=news

I trust this equally as much when it comes to official acronyms, if not moreso considering that it's not just the name of an image.
If we're following that to the fullest, then I guess we use PikaVee for Let's Go and SW・SH for Galar games? All capitalized and with the ・ since we're being official?

As with much of the unpopular opinions, I was merely stating mine. Or more of a "if you see me say SS, know that I'm referring to Sword and Shield".

Let's Go! is without a doubt so easy it's fucking stupid. The game makes getting levels easy with the abundance of Rare Candy and experience, Pokemon can be boosted to high hell with the stat candies, and you get insanely powerful moves early(Growlithe gets STAB Flamethrower at Lvl 19, Gyarados gets Waterfall at Lvl 31). But without a doubt the stupidest part of the whole thing is the fact that the Gyms require you have an advantage in order to win barring a few like Fuchisa and Celadons.

This game is already pushing it with the bad rival getting way too fucking much screen time and the randoms plot additions that go nwhere and only add arifical filler(Giovanni captures the Cubone. Why? In a story sense, he has no reason to do so as we don't know if Cubone are valuable or not and in a story sense, you're going there anyway to get the Silph Scope Lens), but this is too much.

I hate Primal Groudon. I don't particularly like its design, and in Ubers it's so overcentralizing it's disgusting. There is literally no logical reason not to use it on your team. Need a Xerneas check? Here you go. Stealth Rock setter? No problem. Wallbreaker? Yep. Physical Sweeper? I got it. Mixed Sweeper? Sure. Mixed wall? Absolutely. God I hate that thing. Personally I think Primal Reversion and Ultra Burst should take up your mega slot.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Let's Go! is without a doubt so easy it's fucking stupid. The game makes getting levels easy with the abundance of Rare Candy and experience, Pokemon can be boosted to high hell with the stat candies, and you get insanely powerful moves early(Growlithe gets STAB Flamethrower at Lvl 19, Gyarados gets Waterfall at Lvl 31). But without a doubt the stupidest part of the whole thing is the fact that the Gyms require you have an advantage in order to win barring a few like Fuchisa and Celadons.

This game is already pushing it with the bad rival getting way too fucking much screen time and the randoms plot additions that go nwhere and only add arifical filler(Giovanni captures the Cubone. Why? In a story sense, he has no reason to do so as we don't know if Cubone are valuable or not and in a story sense, you're going there anyway to get the Silph Scope Lens), but this is too much.
Actually, fushia city's requirements actually kinda do give you a major advantage, because since you'd have 50+ Pokemon, that basically means you have many Pokemon to destroy Koga. Also, if you don't want much exp, you can easily skip on trainers. As for Growlithe, it is kinda bad at that point, but I do agree on the Gyrados situation (and yes I can say that, I used it through the entire maingame play through), and I just don't use the candies. Except for rare candy, but the name is RARE candy, which means you won't be seeing much of them. Even so, I was still having level problems. You know how I had to manage the Pokemon League? Everything be under leveled but Articuno (Zapdos is for people who are scummy), and the starter Pikachu. When I first got there, everything but those two I mentioned earlier weren't even level 50! Once beating it, starter Pikachu and Articuno were level 56, but everything else was level 50-52. While I'll admit, most of the game was so easy myself from 8 years ago (when I first started Pokemon) could beat it, two bosses really annoyed me: Erika and Bruno. Erika, and I do hate to say this, but the only way I was able to beat her was... Oh no... Using fucking X items! Ow, that feel of using those items makes me look like a freak, but I had 0 other ways. As for Bruno, his Pokemon just used me as if I was a toy. Yet, I still win, but it wasn't annoying or humiliating. It was kinda fun. Such a shame the rest of the league was so easy. I swear, Bruno would've been a much more epic final battle than the rival, because the rival was so pathetic, his Pokemon are total jokes, even his mega, and the worst of all... They only have 3 moves! I mean it, go look up his final team on bulbipedia if you don't believe me.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I hate Primal Groudon. I don't particularly like its design, and in Ubers it's so overcentralizing it's disgusting. There is literally no logical reason not to use it on your team. Need a Xerneas check? Here you go. Stealth Rock setter? No problem. Wallbreaker? Yep. Physical Sweeper? I got it. Mixed Sweeper? Sure. Mixed wall? Absolutely. God I hate that thing. Personally I think Primal Reversion and Ultra Burst should take up your mega slot.
OK look, you do not have to play AG or ubers. Not only that, but many mons in those tiers are very powerful, and would be crazy busted if they were any lower.
Hey, at least the shiny is super badass

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Let's Go! is without a doubt so easy it's fucking stupid.
It is meant to be an entry level game. "But Pokemon games aren't that hard in the first place!". To be fair there was also a ton of other factors concerning LGPE's development such as setting the ground works for Pokemon game on the Switch, making a game the GO crowd can get into, and making a game which parents who may have grown-up playing Pokemon able to play with their kids (because a franchise which encourages its long time players to get their kids into it is a franchise with a long live expectancy). Honestly I'd say the only major mistake with these games is advertising them as part of the core series (which they then moved into a parallel series) and trying to attract core series fans without younger family members by having the Master Trainers (when honestly them just putting in a plain ol' Battle Tower might have been a better option...).

Though hopefully the Let's Go series being easier means they'll make the core series harder (or at least put in a higher difficulty level).

But without a doubt the stupidest part of the whole thing is the fact that the Gyms require you have an advantage in order to win barring a few like Fuchisa and Celadons.
The only one which I have a problem with is Saffron's requirement which asks you to have a Pokemon who's level is higher than Sabrina's strongest Pokemon (which from what I understand your Starter would be anyway but still, it's not like this is Gen I where Psychic were OP because there was no good counter for them).

I don't think it's bad to give the Rival a lot of screentime and I've cooled on Trace seeing the development he goes through, what still only annoys me is the reason for the Rival switch (though at least Red & Blue are in the game and this even gave Green a chance to have a character). Also I personally don't mind the additional plot as Gen I barely had any to begin with so it's not like it's hurting anything by taking something away. As for Cubone, Giovanni specifically says while talking to Archer that Jessie & James brought it to him without his permission. Archer does mention their skulls are valuable to sell but it does seem Giovanni doesn't really care about it.

Personally I think Primal Reversion and Ultra Burst should take up your mega slot.
Yeah, I'm surprised it didn't have that limit when ORAS first came out. I'm wondering if this was GF's admission that they knew the Primals were very powerful and no one would use any other Mega so they made the Primal Reversions separate.

Erika, and I do hate to say this, but the only way I was able to beat her was... Oh no... Using fucking X items! Ow, that feel of using those items makes me look like a freak, but I had 0 other ways.
No shame in using the X Items. Infact I kind of wish they did more with them because only in a few situations throughout the entire franchise where you could consider using them. Makes me think they should make a special dungeon which levels your Pokemon down but the opponent's Pokemon are all higher level and you have to carefully choose which X Items to use during the battles to win.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Well normally, I don't even need X items to win battles, so that's where the real shame comes in. But even so, a battle where you decide what X items to use sounds like fun. Yes Pikachu, I am talking to you

In my opinion, I think Regigigas is actually a decent, albeit niche pokemon. 110/110/110 defenses are pretty good and allow you to live out 5 turns of Slow Start. It's seeing a small amount of usage in VGC19, but that comes to show that Regigigas is actually better in a Doubles format than Smogon Singles.

In my opinion, I think Regigigas is actually a decent, albeit niche pokemon. 110/110/110 defenses are pretty good and allow you to live out 5 turns of Slow Start. It's seeing a small amount of usage in VGC19, but that comes to show that Regigigas is actually better in a Doubles format than Smogon Singles.
Really? What’s its role?

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
According to Pikalytics, (yes, seeing the moves Regigigas runs) an offensive support with Wide Guard to protect from status moves, Icy Wind for speed control, Gravity for an unknown purpose, and Earth Power for - well, just attacking.
That set doesn't appear to care about Slow Start regardless. Seems like a generic fat normal with access to Wide Guard, with special attacker to work around Slow Start.

I actually don't mind that Sword and Shield are cutting Pokemon.

There's around 1000 Pokemon out now. A cull was inevitable really, in fact I'm amazed it took this long. While there are players who strive to complete the Pokédex, they are the minority - personally I haven’t bothered since GSC. I'm also looking forward to seeing an Ubers without Primal Groudon on every fucking team, an OU where not everyone is using Landorus-T etc. It'll be a nice shake up. And Smogon will be implementing a meta that acts like you could still transfer everything, so that's something at least.

Now don't get me wrong - I would've preferred it if the option to transfer all older Pokemon was still available, and the lack of National Dex is a mark against SwSh. But for me it's not a deal breaker. I can see why Game Freak did make some cuts, and to be honest there's a tonne of Pokemon I don't give a shit about. I'd wager that's the same for most of you too. And no, it is not going to bomb - a lot of people said that about Let's Go, and yet it got positive reviews from the critis and at the moment is the 5th best selling game on Switch with over 10 million copies sold worldwide.

Also the Galar Pokedex already has over 100 mons revealed for it, and we're still 5 months away from release.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)