Unpopular opinions

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My Issue with RBY sprites compared to the artwork of of Sugimoi and the anime is that they look so different. Look at these:

In contrast, I think the Gen 2 sprites look much better because they look a lot like the official artwork. The aforementioned reason above is why I think thr Gen 1 Sprites suck and are the worst.
This situation with Gen 1's sprites relative to Sugimori's artwork is actually because of the situation with how Pokémon were designed in Gen 1. Back then, the sprites themselves were conceived before Sugimori made artwork for them. In a sense, the original Gen 1 sprites are ironically the rawest conception of them before any official artwork was made: when Red and Green were being developed, they actually created sprites raw with no base artwork to base them off of.

It was only until Gen 2 that the Sugimori artwork came before the sprites. Starting from that Gen, Sugimori would design the official art, then the sprites would be created using the official Sugimori artwork as a basis. That's why the Gen 2 sprites look more like the official artwork. The Gen 1 sprites were created with no basis beforehand. Sugimori's artwork for the Gen 1 Pokémon came after the sprites were made: he created the artwork for them based on his interpretation of what the Pokémon the sprites showed off would look like in his head. From Gen 2: it was the reverse: he created the official art, then the sprite/model designers would design the in-game appearances accordingly based on the official art.

This situation with Gen 1's sprites relative to Sugimori's artwork is actually because of the situation with how Pokémon were designed in Gen 1. Back then, the sprites themselves were conceived before Sugimori made artwork for them. In a sense, the original Gen 1 sprites are ironically the rawest conception of them before any official artwork was made: when Red and Green were being developed, they actually created sprites raw with no base artwork to base them off of.

It was only until Gen 2 that the Sugimori artwork came before the sprites. Starting from that Gen, Sugimori would design the official art, then the sprites would be created using the official Sugimori artwork as a basis. That's why the Gen 2 sprites look more like the official artwork. The Gen 1 sprites were created with no basis beforehand. Sugimori's artwork for the Gen 1 Pokémon came after the sprites were made: he created the artwork for them based on his interpretation of what the Pokémon the sprites showed off would look like in his head. From Gen 2: it was the reverse: he created the official art, then the sprite/model designers would design the in-game appearances accordingly based on the official art.
Err no, 2 was mostly similar to one dev
Mons designed by Sugimori (Aerodactyl, Slowbro, Clefairy/able in Gen 1, HootHoot gen 2) did have prior sketches conceptually, but every other Gen 2 mon was just sprited right there, with no model sheet. The lack of model sheets caused distress for the anime staff (we almost had Ampharos and Quagsire mistaken to be mono no evo mons, Chikorita is incorrectly green like SW97), so Gen 3 on mons were designed on paper first before sprites in many angles, then the design docs were sent to anime staff

RGB sprites aren't really as bad as people say they are. They're quite good.

RS sprites ugly af tho

EDIT: RS sprites are fine

But still people oversell how ugly RBG sprites are, when only like a few are really that bad (some RG sprites look anorexic but not horrible either way)
What makes this worse is that oftentimes when sprite artists try and de-make later-Gen Pokémon in RBY style, they’ll deliberately choose the most off-model sprites to emulate the style of, with it either being a case of “Lololololol all Gen 1 sprites were garbitch” or “They won’t recognize these as Gen 1 style unless I make them deliberately terrible”; either way, this only serves to perpetuate the thinking that all Gen 1 sprites are like the most off-model ones.

What makes this worse is that oftentimes when sprite artists try and de-make later-Gen Pokémon in RBY style, they’ll deliberately choose the most off-model sprites to emulate the style of, with it either being a case of “Lololololol all Gen 1 sprites were garbitch” or “They won’t recognize these as Gen 1 style unless I make them deliberately terrible”; either way, this only serves to perpetuate the thinking that all Gen 1 sprites are like the most off-model ones.
Omg yes ty for bringing this up

They always do that and they look like they're from Alice in wonderland but the original 1800s version that was scary

Also I never saw what was so objectively wrong with Golbat's tongue. Shellder's tongue was never an issue. And ig there's Lickitung, but that's kind of it's gimmick?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There is the fairly common theory that Mythical Pokémon have hinted at the next generation's region for a while now.
Eh, not so sure about that. Sounds like the theory of the Fire Starters being based on the Chinese Zodiac. It's a nice theory and you can certainly draw connections and allusions, but is that because it was intended or are you just best fitting the Mythicals where it would justify the theory?

All this is to say that Gen VIII only has one mythical Pokémon -- Zarude. Zarude is basically just a spider monkey, which is an Amazonian species. So I think it's very probable that the next region will be based on the Amazon either wholly, or partially within a wider Brasilian region (lbr they would choose Brasil for their first stab at a South American region).
Finally, you are coming to Brazil
Hey, I wouldn't complain about a Brazil region, get some South America representation.

Funny thing, Mew is canonically found in South America
...which in Gen 3 you can access...
Man, South America sure shrunk, must be from Kyogre and Groudon constantly soaking and drying things, like clothes in the laundry.

Yeah, but there's also cases where the artist takes the old Gen I sprite style as a challenge to best showoff the Pokemon with such a simple style of sprites and does an amazing job:

There is the fairly common theory that Mythical Pokémon have hinted at the next generation's region for a while now.
All this is to say that Gen VIII only has one mythical Pokémon -- Zarude. Zarude is basically just a spider monkey, which is an Amazonian species. So I think it's very probable that the next region will be based on the Amazon either wholly, or partially within a wider Brasilian region (lbr they would choose Brasil for their first stab at a South American region).
I too watch Lockstin
no this particular theory is most certainly not common

as for gen IX being set in Bazil, Gamefreak has a history of basing Pokemon games in places that japanese people would like to visit
Brazil does have the largest number of people of japanese descent outside of Japan so I guess there's that

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I too watch Lockstin
no this particular theory is most certainly not common

as for gen IX being set in Bazil, Gamefreak has a history of basing Pokemon games in places that japanese people would like to visit
Brazil does have the largest number of people of japanese descent outside of Japan so I guess there's that
I watch Lockstin too but haven’t for a good few months while he’s doing his fan-made region. This theory isn’t by him at all, and has been commonplace in Pokémon fans for a while, even before SwSh where that was the chance to prove the rule.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
So my unpopular opinion of the day: I really wish Game Freak would change up Pokemon's Hidden Abilities between generations more often.

Game Freak clearly are open to doing this when they judge a Pokemon's HA to be overpowered (Shadow Tag Chandelure, Lightningrod Zapdos, and all of the legendary beasts) or when it seems they realise they messed up by giving a Pokemon a HA it can't make very good use of (Quick Feet Scolipede). The most interesting case, though, is Gengar going from Levitate to Cursed Body. I don't remember anyone crying out for Gengar to lose Levitate at the time and Cursed Body, while a good ability, is overall a downgrade. But it seems like someone might have felt that Levitate was too good an ability for Gengar. That, or it may simply have been a purely flavour-based change since Gengar, uh... doesn't Levitate, and this made it ineligible for Sky Battles (but I doubt that it was purely done for flavour-based reasons, and Sky Battles don't show up after Gen VI anyway). I'd be interested to know if the reason for the change was ever addressed, if anyone knows.

But yeah, I'd be up for more tweaks such as this. For one thing, it keeps the game fresh. Much as certain moves or abilities sometimes get tweaked between gens, it shakes things up with each generation's competitive metagame and would give players more incentive to use older Pokemon. For another, it's a way to give older Pokemon access newer abilities without being needlessly complicated. Ability distribution needs a shakeup imo; Gen IV and V both shook up ability availability, but some Pokemon have had the same two or three abilities for multiple generations now. I'm not at all suggesting every Pokemon needs this: some (lots, really) are fine as they are, but some could use a freshening up.

Whether it has to be for Pokemon that desperately need them is not really the point - some Pokemon, like Delibird, could really benefit from a new HA, and others, like Salamence, wouldn't really be improved or nerfed either way. In the latter case, it's a strong Pokemon with two very good ability choices; it wouldn't be ruined by losing Moxie, and giving it a different ability would just give it a little extra versality. If anything, that'd be partially like giving it a new form. Not quite the same, but similar.*

*Actually, it's funny that I chose Salamence off the top of my head because it'd be a prime candidate to bring back Aerilate, since that ability is currently unused due to being exclusive to Megas.

So yeah. Game Freak have tweaked stats between gens, so why not abilities too?

Last edited:
Game Freak clearly are open to doing this when they judge a Pokemon's HA to be overpowered (Shadow Tag Chandelure, Lightningrod Zapdos, and all of the legendary beasts) or when it seems they realise they messed up by giving a Pokemon a HA it can't make very good use of (Quick Feet Scolipede).
Do we know they were changed for balance reasons, though?

QuentinQuonce

Do we know they were changed for balance reasons, though?
No, we don't. But it seems the most likely reason in the absence of any others. The fact that they held out releasing the beasts with their HAs for three generations and only did so when they were changed to a significantly less powerful alternative indicates to me that someone somewhere felt that they would be overpowered. And we know that Game Freak do take notice of these things and take steps to address them if they perceive an imbalance - the nerf to Gale Wings, for instance.

In the case of Scolipede, I'm pretty sure they outright admitted that being a goof since it can't be used properly (it can't be poisoned, thus if it wants to use Quick Feet it's forced to be burned and suffer the attack drop or be paralysed and risk full paralysis).

How I feel about portable boxes:

Heck, since boxed mons aren't healed until you go to a center and heal, even less worry for it being exploited
I kind of also find complaints that "using too many Pokémon (which Box Link encourages) reduces your attachment to them". How?

• Love
Reactions: db

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So my unpopular opinion of the day: I really wish Game Freak would change up Pokemon's Hidden Abilities between generations more often.

Game Freak clearly are open to doing this when they judge a Pokemon's HA to be overpowered (Shadow Tag Chandelure, Lightningrod Zapdos, and all of the legendary beasts) or when it seems they realise they messed up by giving a Pokemon a HA it can't make very good use of (Quick Feet Scolipede). The most interesting case, though, is Gengar going from Levitate to Cursed Body. I don't remember anyone crying out for Gengar to lose Levitate at the time and Cursed Body, while a good ability, is overall a downgrade. But it seems like someone might have felt that Levitate was too good an ability for Gengar. That, or it may simply have been a purely flavour-based change since Gengar, uh... doesn't Levitate, and this made it ineligible for Sky Battles (but I doubt that it was purely done for flavour-based reasons, and Sky Battles don't show up after Gen VI anyway). I'd be interested to know if the reason for the change was ever addressed, if anyone knows.

But yeah, I'd be up for more tweaks such as this. For one thing, it keeps the game fresh. Much as certain moves or abilities sometimes get tweaked between gens, it shakes things up with each generation's competitive metagame and would give players more incentive to use older Pokemon. For another, it's a way to give older Pokemon access newer abilities without being needlessly complicated. Ability distribution needs a shakeup imo; Gen IV and V both shook up ability availability, but some Pokemon have had the same two or three abilities for multiple generations now. I'm not at all suggesting every Pokemon needs this: some (lots, really) are fine as they are, but some could use a freshening up.

Whether it has to be for Pokemon that desparately need them is not really the point - some Pokemon, like Delibird, could really benefit from a new HA, and others, like Salamence, wouldn't really be improved or nerfed either way. In the latter case, it's a strong Pokemon with two very good ability choices; it wouldn't be ruined by losing Moxie, and giving it a different ability would just give it a little extra versality. If anything, that'd be partially like giving it a new form. Not quite the same, but similar.*

*Actually, it's funny that I chose Salamence off the top of my head because it'd be a prime candidate to bring back Aerilate, since that ability is currently unused due to being exclusive to Megas.

So yeah. Game Freak have tweaked stats between gens, so why not abilities too?
Doesn't even have to necessarily be just Hidden Abilities imo: a lot of mons have a blank* ability slot in terms of two possible normal abilities that could easily be filled up for them to have an alternative ability they could put to use in the future. You bring up Salamence, but that Pokémon for one only has one normal ability being Intimidate, which means it doesn't even have to lose Moxie to have a different ability added for a bit of extra versatility: it has an open ability slot to which it can easily gain an ability there to serve as a secondary normal Ability.

*I say "blank" in that such a Pokemon doesn't have a second "Normal Ability", someone might know better than me, but it's entirely conceivable that both slots in such cases simply have the same ability no matter what. In other words, ability1 being Intimidate and ability2 being Intimidate, for example.

This especially applies to many Pokemon with Levitate, though. For whatever reason Weezing and Bronzong are the only two who have alternate abilities outside of Levitate, but others could conceivably have such alternate abilities. Hydreigon for one could really benefit in the future if it has another ability or two for a bit more versatility. Flygon could have "Sand Stream" as an alternate ability: considering its lore that would totally make sense for it. The list goes on.

I agree with you overall, just wanted to point out other possible scenarios: namely Pokemon who still have an open slot for another ability getting that filled in later on.

QuentinQuonce

Doesn't even have to necessarily be just Hidden Abilities imo: a lot of mons have a blank* ability slot in terms of two possible normal abilities that could easily be filled up for them to have an alternative ability they could put to use in the future.
Yeah that's also a possibility. I was specifically thinking of outright changing some abilities, but they have been adding second (newer) abilities to some Pokemon too - Beartic with Slush Rush, Milotic with Competitive et al.

*I say "blank" in that such a Pokemon doesn't have a second "Normal Ability", someone might know better than me, but it's entirely conceivable that both slots in such cases simply have the same ability no matter what. In other words, ability1 being Intimidate and ability2 being Intimidate, for example.
Yeah, that is how it works; it's why some species change ability after evolving when they're transferred to later generations. Though the Gen V>VI transfer locks the current ability for some reason, meaning some transferred mons can end up with the wrong one for their personality value (though it can still be switched with the Ability Capsule).

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Delibird having Insomnia and Vital Spirit for both slots is sin
I do not think this is an unpopular opinion, if anything it’s a common concensus.

I need to think of an unpopular opinion to not make this a one-liner, so…

With the exception of Kabu and Raihan at the time they are fought for the first time, all Galar Gym Leaders are all bark, no bite. You can’t convince me otherwise.

With the exception of Kabu and Raihan at the time they are fought for the first time, all Galar Gym Leaders are all bark, no bite. You can’t convince me otherwise.
The issue is the rule of "use the Ace last", which just doesn't work if the player is willing to Dynamax early and/or set up enough to wreck face. Having hard rules in place that limit AI options but the player doesn't abide by just exacerbates the difference between player skill and AI programming. I've done multiple "no dynamax" runs of Shield, the strategy always comes down to "set up in the face of something beatable and then wreck the giant ace with SE moves". If the game would Dynamax appropriately, that wouldn't be possible, but that's way too hard to get a computer to do.

Oddly, I think the difficulty is probably there for anyone who isn't aware enough of Pokemon to be posting on online forums. For the casual fans who don't really like wasting time with setup moves I could easily see the fights playing out the way GF intended, either:
A smackdown between two titans where the player has to keep their type-advantage mon in reserve until the end, which makes the rest of the fight much harder because you're specifically keeping your Dreadnaw in the back in the fire gym, or
The player Dynamaxes early, sweeps the filler mons, then is back to normal by the time the Ace appears and the player has to use their entire team to take down a giant monster.
Stuff like "send out Orbeetle on 2nd-to-last-mon, take a couple hits, then use screens on the turn before you die" will not occur to the casual playerbase that GF is targeting, and probably makes those fights a lot closer, even if we find them to be pushovers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Going to be quirky and not like the others and say that its really funny and based. I think if they ever introduce a new ability that prevents sleep it should be delibirds HA
We sorta got four:

Insomnia and Vital Spirit prevent Sleep.
Early Bird has the Pokemon wake up from Sleep early.
And Sweet Veil prevents it and allies from falling asleep.

Sweet Veil is reserved for Pokemon made of sugar, so replace Hustle with Early Bird and you've now assured that, even if Delibird falls alseep, it'll wake up soon after (which also means it can use Rest to heal).

However, I don't think that's necessary. Delibird doesn't need Early Bird, it obviously needs Levitate. :psysly:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)