Unpopular opinions

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This framing completely changed my perspective on Zygarde. The idea that it only steps in as an absolute last resort in a world where the strongest legendaries can easily put an end to and/or are themselves apocalyptic threats means that whatever event could possibly lead it to act would have to be so impossibly cataclysmic that there's no way Game Freak could ever do it justice. It'd be like when it's revealed what the monster in a horror movie looks like. It's always less scary than whatever the viewer imagined in their head.
Yeah it kinda does this in the anime when Lysandre made significant progress towards reaching the Anistar Sundial without anyone else being able to do anything to stop him despite Ash and friends, Alain, two champions, and the entire league of Kalos Gym Leaders working their all to stop him simultaneously. In the manga Zygarde is in Alola like in the games and scattered around in cells. It decides to transform into its complete forme when Necrozma wreaks major havoc. Idt it transforms into complete anywhere prior iirc.

Excellent post, many good points which I have never thought about before.
the 3D models were the exact same(?), not even re-polished or rendered differently?
They updated Glameow's model a bit. In Gen 7, the ears are different.

1659612488344.png
1659612514012.png

(left is Gen 6, right is Gen 7)

It looks more "natural" in Gen 7 IMO, the new ears make it look more similar to its official artwork and sprites in the Gen 4/5 games.

Bulbapedia claims that Glameow is the only old Pokémon to get an updated model in Gen 7, but I wonder if they did some minor updates to Raikou as well. When I look at images of the model for Raikou in Gen 6 and compare those to its model in Gen 7, the face looks a bit different. But that might just be because the images I look at have captured it differently. I guess I should take a closer look at its model in the actual games to see if I can spot any differences there as well.
Gen 7 did not add anything super big to the series unlike Gen 6, but not remove many notable things either.
Z-moves were a pretty big addition if you ask me. I'd also say Poké Pelago, Hyper Training, regional variants and the Poké Ride were big new features as well. Especially the latter three since they have either been kept in every game past S/M or there have been some sort of spritual successor to them.

As for removals, Gen 7 got rid of the National Dex, which is a very big thing. And unlike Gen 6, it does not have epic training spots either, they are only decent (S/M) or okay (US/UM). Though I guess that shouldn't really be considered a "removal" since the quality of training spots in the games have been going up and down throughout the generations.

Last edited:
As for removals, Gen 7 got rid of the National Dex, which is a very big thing. And unlike Gen 6, it does not have epic training spots either, they are only decent (S/M) or okay (US/UM). Though I guess that shouldn't really be considered a "removal" since the quality of training spots in the games have been going up and down throughout the generations.
I would also mention that in gen 7 you werent as hardpressed to actually max a pokemon level due to the way move relearner works (you could learn moves that you'd gain at higher level). The only real reason to level to 100 would be to hypertrain, which is still something relative and mainly only really important for legendaries and (occasionally) shinys, as well as for the (now removed) Hidden Power types that required lower-than-31 IVs.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like exp share. It allows you to rotate your team with different pokemon.

Traditionally I would never change my first 6 pokemon. But in shield, I rotated about 15 pokemon in my team. It gave the opportunity to try all the new pokemon in the game!
Oh I like it too, and I know a large number of people who do. Its just the fact that there’s no off switch which kinda sucks, forcing people into using larger numbers of Pokemon or being ridiculously overleveled. Some runs I’d just rather stick with the traditional 6, ya know?

Oh I like it too, and I know a large number of people who do. Its just the fact that there’s no off switch which kinda sucks, forcing people into using larger numbers of Pokemon or being ridiculously overleveled. Some runs I’d just rather stick with the traditional 6, ya know?
Yeah fair point! No switch is a bummer for those who want more of a challenge or to stick with 6 mons in a run.

In that case it's Box Link what you like, not exactly the Exp. Share (though it's reasonable to like both).
I defo like both of them. I don't really like to grind random encounters to level up that many pokemon and would probably stick with 6 if there was no exp share.

While I don't care for any particular Pikaclone very much, they make enough sense to me as addition if you look at them as game elements AND marketing tools simultaneously rather than scrutinizing those lenses separately.

They're usually there to highlight something like a new gimmick or gameplay mechanic of a generation (Pichu for Breeding, Plusle/Minun for Doubles, Dedenne for Fairy Typing, etc.) in the form of a single Pokemon, where if you want to use the Mon (effectively or simply at all), you will probably need at least some understanding of said gimmick. I'd even say this could apply in an inverted manner with Mimikyu, where the Totem fight and its Disguise ability shows players what happens if they just recklessly throw out their Z-moves and don't have any backup plan if the Opponent survives it.

Some immediate questions could be "wouldn't they learn these by simply playing the game?" and "can't they use other Pokemon for that?", which they probably could, but not quite as effectively. Pikachu is the series mascot, so you can assume that players who are new to the games or haven't been with the series for a while are somewhat familiar with how it plays and what it does compared to a new Pokemon. At the same time, using Pikachu itself for the new mechanics is dicey territory because you don't want to overburden any Pokemon with all the gimmicks at once (lest you get stuff like Charizard exhaustion between the repeated prominent Anime roles, 2 Megas, and Gigantamax in just a few Gens' time), so the Pikaclones let them evoke familiarity with Pikachu's playstyle and image without reusing Pikachu itself and risking/accelerating that kind of market burnout.

At the same time, the Pikachu context might highlight some practicality to the mechanic compared to what an objective explanation or tutorial might.

Two Examples:
- Pichu: "Oh, so Baby Pokemon can have better stats or moves that I won't get in the wild, since I've never seen a Pikachu with Dizzy Punch or this Encore move" (I'm assuming this is for new-enough players now or just contemporary players who wouldn't know Egg Movesets, just "Eggs = Moves you can't get normally)

- Dedenne: "Having another type on my Electric Pokemon is nice for letting them resist more stuff in battle like all these Grunts' Dark types. Oh, Fairy is super-effective on this Pokemon that resisted my Electric moves AND seems to hit everything else fine, I should use this more"

These are some immediate examples of how using understanding of Pikachu can convey use cases for the clone's mechanic/gimmick, while the similarity to the mascot makes it easy to throw merchandise and a minor anime role for it onto the shelves to see if it strikes marketing gold. If not, well then they can use it for a few more cutesy scenes with or in-place of Ash's Pikachu for episodes that call for it to be more of a serious Battling mon.
What about Togedemaru? Wouldn't that be the true Pikaclone (Mimikyu being an imposter)?

What about Togedemaru? Wouldn't that be the true Pikaclone (Mimikyu being an imposter)?
Given Gen 7 was supposed to be the shake-up Gen, my totally-not-haphazard excuse is that Mimikyu was the Pikaclone subversion, with Togedemaru mostly existing as the traditional one to misdirect, since Mimikyu got all the direct market push like appearing on Team Rocket's team (more frequent roles than Sophocles's Toge), being a Totem Boss, and having a signature Z-Move.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Given Gen 7 was supposed to be the shake-up Gen, my totally-not-haphazard excuse is that Mimikyu was the Pikaclone subversion, with Togedemaru mostly existing as the traditional one to misdirect, since Mimikyu got all the direct market push like appearing on Team Rocket's team (more frequent roles than Sophocles's Toge), being a Totem Boss, and having a signature Z-Move.
Don't forget that Togedemaru was also a totem, albeit only in USUM and not SM.

I think the team just had two interesting ideas for Pikaclones, and so decided to make them both. It seems pretty clear that they have made concerted efforts to make Pikaclones more and more exciting, and they probably just liked both Mimikyu and Togedemaru as concepts. Which makes sense, because they're probably the best 2 Pikaclones by a long shot. Alternatively, Mimikyu was Plan A but they weren't sure if people would really take to it because it's SO different, so they made Togedemaru as Plan B, and then accidentally made the best 2 Pikaclones in history. OR they figured Japanese audiences w ould take to Mimikyu, but were unsure if it would have appeal in the west outside of Halloween season (which is really the only time Ghost-Type Pokémon are marketed here) and so they had Togedemaru be the one to push more in the West, before realising everyone loved Mimikyu too.

There are a lot of reasons why gen 7 might have had 2 Pikaclones, and ultimately I think they make sense. Note that even Morpeko has the hangry form and the cuddly form, I think that also had the intention of appealing to different markets. After all, you can't really make a plushy switch between the modes.

Objection! There used to be these cheap Pokémon plushies that you could unzip and turn inside-out so they'd turn into Poké Balls.
Not to mention, the one of Pikachu(the chubby Gen I version) is almost the same shape as Morpeko, and having both sides being near-identical in shape would not be impossible, but it would be a lot more work to make compared to one side just being a sphere.

I like exp share. It allows you to rotate your team with different pokemon.

Traditionally I would never change my first 6 pokemon. But in shield, I rotated about 15 pokemon in my team. It gave the opportunity to try all the new pokemon in the game!
Actually agree...provided we mean the Gen VI/VII version. I loved the fact it reduces reliance on grinding against NPC trainers. Whenever you don't like it and want a challenge, you are free to turn it off. Gen VII practically requires you to use it due to how experience is accumulated and how difficult enemies are. Gen VIII, however, makes it a joke (and not a good one). I never really rotated Pokemon all that much, but I am glad you were able to do so!

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Another move that bothers me is Stealth Rocks, which I’m sure isn’t an unpopular opinion. But idk why everyone makes such a big deal out of Safety Boots. They’re just a half-assed solution to a completely unnecessary and broken move that has no reason to exist. Yes, let’s force all of those INCREDIBLY broken Bug/Flying types to waste their item slots to protect against a move that makes them lose 50% of their health for switching in. I’m glad we don’t have Beautifly terrorizing the metagame anymore ♥
Stealth Rock is so prominent is cuz it's just a good example of how unbalanced the elemental chart of Pokemon is. Rock hits alot of things for at least neutral and nothing is immune to it. It's why Rock coverage and Edgequake have always been so potent. It also doesn't help that Spikes requires numerous turns and doesn't calc based on weakness, meanwhile you just need to use Stealth Rock once and your opponent now has to account for chip.

Stealth Rock is so prominent is cuz it's just a good example of how unbalanced the elemental chart of Pokemon is. Rock hits alot of things for at least neutral and nothing is immune to it. It's why Rock coverage and Edgequake have always been so potent. It also doesn't help that Spikes requires numerous turns and doesn't calc based on weakness, meanwhile you just need to use Stealth Rock once and your opponent now has to account for chip.
I don't actually think the strength of Stealth Rock is that it observes weaknesses, rather, it is that SR does not observe immunities. Sure, it can hit ice types hard, but hitting ice types hard has never been that rare. What it uniquely provides is the ability to make bringing in e.g. Rotom-Wash not without consequence. Blissey runs (ugh) Heavy-Duty Boots just as much, if not more, than most rock-weak mons because it is a mon that wants to switch in constantly.

Whether types should even have equivalent matchups is a separate issue, but Flying and Levitate giving immunity to otherwise untyped damage is not a problem with Rock's offensive abilities.

I don't like Pokémon Legends Arceus that much. The open areas feel empty and the lack of trainer battles made me bored. I also don't like the battle system either. More often than not you either get totaled in one attack or the opponent spams moves while you struggle to catch up. The inclusion of a more in depth Pokedex completion system is nice. The problem is it can make actually completing an entry feel like it takes forever. Of course a part of these feelings comes from the general burn out I feel toward open world games. I'm genuinely concerned I won't enjoy Scarlet and Violet because of the genre alone.

Hyper beam's mechanics in Gen 1 should've stuck around. The risk versus reward that comes from using the attack makes matches more exciting. You can use it and take a Pokémon out without recharge or lose a turn altogether. It would've certainly made the move competitively viable in later games.

Gen 5 has the best music in the series. The wide variety of instruments and genres represented makes listening to it a blast. As much as I love Gen 3 and Gen 4's soundtracks, the overreliance on one instrument made some tracks feel repetitive. I honestly think the remakes of those gens have better soundtracks solely for the added variety (although BDSP's remix of Cynthia's battle theme was a massive downgrade).

While I haven't watched the anime in over a decade, I think the Alola art style actually looks decent. Giving those seasons a different look allowed it to stand out from the rest.

Ice type should be resistant to water moves and fairy types should be weak to bug attacks. Also, removing two of steel type's numerous resistances is one of the best decisions GameFreak ever made.

More Pokémon music (and video game music in general) need to be longer than 90 seconds. Even great tracks can become dull when they loop so frequently.

Modern EXP Share is a fantastic tool for level and EV training. It's so good that it's pretty baffling how early they give this item, while it should be an endgame prize imo. Also, it sucks that the old EXP share is no more, that was a more balanced item for training weaker mons during your adventure.

Legends Arceus handles this exp mechanic better, considering the nature of the game you can't overpower as easily as the other games.

I don't like Pokémon Legends Arceus that much. The open areas feel empty and the lack of trainer battles made me bored. I also don't like the battle system either. More often than not you either get totaled in one attack or the opponent spams moves while you struggle to catch up. The inclusion of a more in depth Pokedex completion system is nice. The problem is it can make actually completing an entry feel like it takes forever. Of course a part of these feelings comes from the general burn out I feel toward open world games. I'm genuinely concerned I won't enjoy Scarlet and Violet because of the genre alone.
I also felt PLA to be very underwhelming. I absolutely HATED the battle system and I pray that it never comes back. I honestly think that the classic pokemon battle system is one of, if not THE best of any turn-based RPG. Instead of using this battle system and ramping up the difficulty of the battles, we get this FF-X-like battle system that does not work for Pokemon (FF-X's battle system works great for that game, but not in PLA). Taking away the ability to switch if you have a slower pokemon with a type disadvantage removes a classic strategy that has been a staple of the franchise since day one.

I also found the core gameplay loop of catching pokemon to get pretty dull and boring (granted, catching pokemon is one of my least favorite parts of pokemon games and I will usually use 6-10 mons in my non-nuzlocke playthroughs). The story was abysmal, which is an achievement considering how bad most stories in this franchise are. I also was disappointed on how they handled the lore of this game. For a game called Pokemon Legends Arceus, it hardly expands on the lore of this mysterious diety. If anything, Palkia and Dialga got more new lore than Arceus did (albeit as a result of the single worst design in the series in Origin Dialga).

I did love how easy it is to change movesets of pokemon. I'm glad that the previous few generations have given the player many options to learn great movesets, and PLA's changes to learning moves make this even better. I also liked how you could catch pokemon without battling them.

PLA was a (kinda?) ambitious pokemon game, but I feel that many of the changes made were either half-baked at best, or genuinely awful.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
I've been borrowing the game from a friend and compared to the more recent trash main series Pokemon games have been, I have FEWER gripes with it. That said, I don't find it all that impressive. The game already feels like it came out 10 years ago. I just recently beat Electrode on my first try. Perhaps it's because I've gotten used to actually hard games that play like this like Dark Souls and Yo-Kai Watch Busters, but Electrode felt so easy and I can't imagine people calling that one hard. Perhaps I'll sing a different song once I get to Avalugg

I also felt PLA to be very underwhelming. I absolutely HATED the battle system and I pray that it never comes back. I honestly think that the classic pokemon battle system is one of, if not THE best of any turn-based RPG.
I disagree with this on many levels. The lack of a fast forward button makes it slow as molasses, especially since a feature like that would still allow us to see animation without the game slowing down to crawl. Even turning the animation off still makes the game sluggish for a number of reasons like needing the HP bar animation to take ages. There's also arguably far more dopamine rush and fun if not just basic player feedback from actually seeing the damage numbers you do. There's not much point in keeping that invisible to the player since we can just tell visually that if we hit a full HP Pokemon and their HP goes below yellow, we can assume it'll be a 2HKO. We already use damage calculators and Showdown's percentage feature to get around that and achieve the same thing anyway. Not to mention the whole system is basic and lacks alot of relevant resource systems that make it have any significant depth or that the whole system just ends up favoring bulky offense and hyper offense above all else. I like the system just as any other Pokemon fan, but I don't think it's that great.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Separating Water from Ice in the first place is arguably dumb. Both Ice and Water are scientifically the same element in the first place. Most other games keep them both as the same element, use some slight flavor animations to make them appear different and give it an advantage over Fire which makes more sense anyway since covering a flame with a bucket of water or a bucket of snow will extinguish it regardless. Any game that DOES seperate them tends to have a better balanced elemental chart to excuse that.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Steel for that matter could just as easily also be classed as Earth like Rock and Ground. Steel may be an alloy but the iron it's made of is still a mineral i.e. Earth. Steel Pokemon that lean towards machinery like Probopass and Klingklang would arguably benefit more from being Electric anyway since they can run moves like that for coverage or utility anyway.

I think the crux of this issue is that while several types may be thematically similar, Rock, Ground, and Steel have significant mechanical differences. So I think there's a reason for all three types to exist, even if there's a lot of thematic overlap (and a lot of Rock/Ground, Rock/Steel, and Ground/Steel mons as a result).

I also end up thinking of metal as more separate from a generic earth element, given how common in folklore it is for metal being used to ward off supernatural creatures. I.e. there's not much reason for Rock or Ground to beat Fairy, but there is for Steel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)