Updated Cries

What do guys think of the revamped cries?

I still prefer the old bleeps and bloops, some of the updates made them more natural sounding, but they lost their character.

Also, some Gen IV+ ones got tampered with and made them much worse. I was under the impression only the first two gens would get reworked, but some V ones were even changed.

I agree with you, I feel like they're worse overall. Some of them definitely did improve (I like Psyduck's new cry a lot) but for the most part, they just all sound more similar... Most of them are higher-pitched and scratchier, so they actually sound lower quality to me. There were a few in particular that I felt were ruined, but I can't recall all of them... Corphish is one. It was always one of my favorite cries but it sounds really generic now.

If they touched Nidoking... >:C

Personally I find the newer cries better. It's nice to finally be able to tell the difference between Rhyhorn and Charizard.

I miss Jynx's old cry. It's also weird to hear Golbat with a new cry, having heard it in every cave for so many generations. Overall it's nice, I suppose.

It'll take some getting used to, but overall I think it's a good change. I feel like the old cries would just feel out of place in a game with this level of graphics and sound.

I like the updated cries. The old cries sounded too harsh and didn't blend in well with the newer ones and the rest of the DS soundtrack. Takes some time to get used to, I still keep thinking of the old GB cries for the Gen 1+2 mons.

I still can't get over Pikachu having the anime voice as its cry though. (Seriously?)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I miss Jynx's old cry. It's also weird to hear Golbat with a new cry, having heard it in every cave for so many generations. Overall it's nice, I suppose.
Then: Sounded like singing.
Now: Sounded like someone speaking foul language.

I don't get why they had to change ALL of the cries, especially the Gen 3-5 ones. I prefer the old cries on almost all Pokemon. Some of the new ones just sound awful, specifically Volbeat, Illumise, Machop, and Onix, which are now horrible high-pitched screeching noises that actually manage to sound worse than the originals. I probably have too much nostalgia for the old cries, but honestly, was it really necessary to change cries like Mienfoo's?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I like all of them (...at least the ones I noticed) because, even though some are weird or didn't need to change, they sound much more natural now. Golbat's was badass, but I find it much easier to imagine a monster bat making the new cry than the old one.

Ditto's new cry is excellent. It sounds like a cute blobby thing now, but still has the same recognizable "melody".

Wait, that was intentional? I just thought they messed up on all on them...

Well then, I'd have to say I dislike 99% of the "re-vamped" cries. They all just sound too high-pitched imo.

It's pretty hit or miss. Some are good (I like Mr. Mime's updated cry, and he's my favorite), but some are missing the 'bleep bloop' charm others mentioned.

Slowbro comes to mind. It was so simple and funny before. It's still cute, but it doesn't have the same character as before.

It's really weird that they gave Pikachu the typical 'pikachu' cry (it's even different when he faints, not just the normal cry slow and down pitched). I guess people are really that obsessed with Pikachu.

Really, the old pokemon would sound extremely out of place if they didn't update their cries a little bit. It sounds like all the cries got a little 'rounded out' for the new gen so they don't sound so computer-y.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
They ruined Nidoking... Kingler is still the same though which I am really happy about!

I cant wait to hear stuff like Electabuzz :o

Overall I am kinda mixed on how good some are and how bad others are. In general gen 6 cries are ok, but its a shame you cant tell which gen anymore just from the sound of the cry (which you could before as the modulation was all very specific).

Phanpy's new cry sounds more like it's actually trumpeting, so that's neat, but the old one was like a really cute whimper that could break the heart of the manliest UFC lumberjack. Raichu's sounds very different, with all the electric crackles replaced with a very pronounced mousey squeek. The rest sound okay, but a lot of 'em seem like they were just run through a filter to soften the "blinkity-bloops".

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I hate them. I hate them, I hate them, I HATE them. Don't get me wrong, I like XY but this is one of the worst decisions for Pokemon ever and a definite lowpoint of my gameplay experience because the rest of the music in XY is beautiful. I think they're that bad. Most of the old Pokemon sound indistinct, like they're screeching or farting. It's not even updated, most of them don't even sound like their old cries and the ones that do sound like they emphasized the "cat scratching on chalkboard" tones. The new Pokemon's cries are a definite step down from gens 4&5. I was hellbent on choosing Charmander as my starter until I heard its godawful cry....then I evolved my Squirtle and regretted my situation. At the same time, I noticed they brought back the gen 2 sound effects for Psybeam and Psychic, and probably other moves. No fucking excuse to ruin the old Pokemon's cries when they had no problem bringing other old sounds back.

Dear god, Tropius sounds like a satan spawn. Now that I think about it, his old cry was epic. They fucked up that one big time.

I wish everyone got the Pikachu treatment. Maybe not saying their name, per se, but something not sounding like electro-noise (unless it fit a la Voltorb/Magnemite line).

Relatively indifferent on current updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)