Resource Useful LC stuff / Introductions / Simple Questions Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's the general opinion on Scraggy? I like using it, but I know it's ranked below mons like Pancham. So, I guessI'd like to know what it's strengths and weaknesses are, as well as what sets are the best for it.

Great post that can tell you Scraggy's strengths and weaknesses as well as justifying its ranking. Also, you can read the post quoted in the post to get an idea of why some people like to use Scraggy.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lc-viability-rankings.3496013/page-53#post-5847583

If you want to use Scraggy, here is the analysis from the strategy pokedex where you can see the movesets,EVs etc., how to use the pokemon well, and what pokemon would be good options to support Scraggy.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lc-viability-rankings.3496013/page-53#post-5847583

Question! I want to to breed an Eevee with quick attack and double edge, but eevee only gets those moves at level 13 or above! and they are not egg moves nor TMs! please help :D?

Question! I want to to breed an Eevee with quick attack and double edge, but eevee only gets those moves at level 13 or above! and they are not egg moves nor TMs! please help :D?
This isn't quite the place to ask questions like these, next time ask in the Orange Islands subforum. Well, to answer your question you should breed two Eevees that both know Quick Attack and Double Edge, the baby that is resulted from the breeding will know the moves.

This isn't quite the place to ask questions like these, next time ask in the Orange Islands subforum. Well, to answer your question you should breed two Eevees that both know Quick Attack and Double Edge, the baby that is resulted from the breeding will know the moves.
Thanks, but why isn't this the place? As this tier demands to play at level 5. So it's misunderstanding related to the tier, not the Pokemon.

Thanks, but why isn't this the place? As this tier demands to play at level 5. So it's misunderstanding related to the tier, not the Pokemon.
This subforum is about competitive battling and your question was more about breeding than it was about competitive battling. But yeah you kinda posted it in the right place as this meta is played with level 5 mons but questions that are breeding related should be asked in the OI subforum as people are more experienced with it there.

Introduction:
Hey guys, I'm Kamikaze Gallade, you could just call me Kami, I'm pretty enveloped in the LC tier and have gotten to high ladder with my first team, but laddering is laddering...
Tried my best to get good at the tier, I'm attempting to be a good presence here and there and I feel like I can be a good LC tutor if I just know the tier slightly better.
Side note: I love testing D rank and below mons for viability rankings, I'm awful at analyzing stuff though heh heh...

Edit: My PS name is also Kamikaze Gallade. I'm a regular to the Competitive Tutoring room and I love helping newer people. :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm french and I'm a beginner in LC. I began 4 months ago. I love this tiers because we can see a lot of pokemon we never see in other tiers and there is a lot of choice for mons compare others tier. I learned a lot of things about meta, ev spread... I began with samples who are pretty good for beginner and now i have a good team that I built with a friend who are a very good LC player so I will continue ladd... I hope I will learn more with the forums!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I guess I should introduce myself here?

Hi, I'm Merritt. I used to be really involved in LC until about 8 months ago when I vanished off the face of the earth took a break due to real life things. I think LC is probably the most fun meta since it's fast paced, balanced, and just fun to watch basic Pokemon go to town.

I have to ask why the resources on the forums are so unhelpful about specifics of the meta I mean I come back to learn how to deal with the Missy ban and there's nothing god.

I have to ask why the resources on the forums are so unhelpful about specifics of the meta I mean I come back to learn how to deal with the Missy ban and there's nothing god.
Hi there and welcome back. About your question it'd be better to hear what you're exactly looking for.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hi there and welcome back. About your question it'd be better to hear what you're exactly looking for.
A piece of it is the dex. Some of the sets in the dex are out of date, or just underwhelming since Smogon removed checks and counters. It's fine making a team, but figuring out what dismantles it that isn't in the top twenty of the viability rankings is a struggle.

It's not a big issue really (hence the strikethrough) but it's noticeable and I've seen people ask it on PS and can't really direct them well.

A piece of it is the dex. Some of the sets in the dex are out of date, or just underwhelming since Smogon removed checks and counters. It's fine making a team, but figuring out what dismantles it that isn't in the top twenty of the viability rankings is a struggle.

It's not a big issue really (hence the strikethrough) but it's noticeable and I've seen people ask it on PS and can't really direct them well.
About the sets being outdated all of these are being revamped at the moment so yea give it some time and they'll be updated. And about the lack of a C&C section in the dex they are still being worked on so that the section gets implemented, however you can still check them from the mon's analysis through the Preliminary Pokedex. Hope I helped.

So I'm trying to get a little into LC, the rules clearly states ''all pokemon must be at level 5'' does that mean you cannot bring pokemon at level 1, 2, 3 and 4 to a game without violating the rules, or does it simply mean ''Pokemon must not exceed level 5''?

Also, showdown lets you bring lower levels...

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You're allowed to bring Pokemon below level 5, but it's never worth it competitively, because FEAR strategies and such are easily played around when a level 5 Pokemon's HP is only around twice as much as a level 1's, and reducing levels to intentionally lose speed ties will drastically and very noticeably decrease your damage output/bulk. It's always best just to make your Pokemon level 5.

You're allowed to bring Pokemon below level 5, but it's never worth it competitively, because FEAR strategies and such are easily played around when a level 5 Pokemon's HP is only around twice as much as a level 1's, and reducing levels to intentionally lose speed ties will drastically and very noticeably decrease your damage output/bulk. It's always best just to make your Pokemon level 5.
I'm not stupid enough to use FEAR in LC, I was simply just wondering if the rule really was like that. The only scenario I can think of where lowering the level would be prankster leech seed + substitute scenarios or something, But then again, it'd never pay off in practise. Thanks for the respond ^^

Question here:
Now that Totodile has Sheer Force, it's not totally outclassed by Corphish, right? Can it viably run an SD set? Should it hold Life Orb or Eviolite? Also why doesn't the analysis for Totodile max out it's Attack stat to 17?
Sorry about all these questions, I'm just starting to learn LC so I don't really know that much.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Totodile still isn't the best of choices because it still suffers heavy competition from Corphish, which isn't top tier to begin with (although Corphish is still quite good); however, you're right in saying that it's no longer totally outclassed, because it is now able to effectively get around Foongus and Cottonee. Swords Dance is arguably better than Dragon Dance because Totodile is much weaker than Corphish, so it needs all the power it can get; Aqua Jet is powerful enough to OHKO a number of very frail Pokemon at +2 regardless, provided Stealth Rock is in play. With that being said, Dragon Dance still has its own advantages. Eviolite is generally the preferred item because even with Life Orb, Totodile struggles to OHKO Eviolite holders, and is outsped by most of the offensive metagame which can then proceed to prey on its unboosted bulk, meaning it isn't too threatening before set-up; Eviolite grants Totodile the bulk necessary to safely pull off a Swords Dance or Dragon Dance. The analysis currently has 16 Atk because the difference in damage rolls between 16 and 17 Atk is minimal for non-Sheer Force Totodile so the point is better invested in bulk, but Sheer Force changes this, so the analysis should be updated accordingly. Don't fret about asking questions, because we have SQSA for a reason :)

Totodile still isn't the best of choices because it still suffers heavy competition from Corphish, which isn't top tier to begin with (although Corphish is still quite good); however, you're right in saying that it's no longer totally outclassed, because it is now able to effectively get around Foongus and Cottonee. Swords Dance is arguably better than Dragon Dance because Totodile is much weaker than Corphish, so it needs all the power it can get; Aqua Jet is powerful enough to OHKO a number of very frail Pokemon at +2 regardless, provided Stealth Rock is in play. With that being said, Dragon Dance still has its own advantages. Eviolite is generally the preferred item because even with Life Orb, Totodile struggles to OHKO Eviolite holders, and is outsped by most of the offensive metagame which can then proceed to prey on its unboosted bulk, meaning it isn't too threatening before set-up; Eviolite grants Totodile the bulk necessary to safely pull off a Swords Dance or Dragon Dance. The analysis currently has 16 Atk because the difference in damage rolls between 16 and 17 Atk is minimal for non-Sheer Force Totodile so the point is better invested in bulk, but Sheer Force changes this, so the analysis should be updated accordingly. Don't fret about asking questions, because we have SQSA for a reason :)
I won't go into much detail, as this isn't the place for it, (and I'm on a school computer which sucks so I can't do much anyway) but Sheer Force is complemented only by the Dragon Dance set tbh. As AJet isn't Sheer Force boosted.
I'd go something like this.
Totodile @ Life Orb/Eviolite
Ability: Sheer Force
(Can't do EVs since school comp)
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Crunch/Aqua Jet

An SD set would look like this...
Totodile @ Eviolite/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
(Again, no EVs,)
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dace
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch/Crunch

Not much different, but the fact stands that you'll be spamming AJet anyway so Sheer Force only comes into play with bulkmons.

Why is Fury Swipes listed as Aipom's strongest STAB move? Even with Skill Link, it only reaches an effective base power of 90. Isn't Return stronger and more accurate?

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In regards to the COIL formula, what is the B value of the current LC Suspect test? I want to put the equation in my calculator so I know exactly how many battles I must play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)