Resource USM Sample Teams [Submissions closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I am glad to hear that my first team was accepted! (Although, a bit surprised tbh as I thought the third would be.) Before you post, though, here are some additional things you may want to take into consideration:
  • Pursuit vs. HP Ice on Marshadow -- Pursuit is great to have seeing as the team lacks a Ghost resist and has 2 or more mons vulnerable to stag users, but, I would consider slashing HP Ice as it can be nice for luring Zyg/Mence for Pdon and generally for breaking fatter teams (otherwise, a core of Ferro+Zyg collectively walls everything for example).
  • Adamant vs Jolly on Salamence -- You're right that Jolly on Mega Salamence can help in regards to fishing for speed tie wins vs supportceus. However, there are some important benchmarks that Adamant achieves that Jolly does not. For example, with Adamant, Double-Edge into Shadow Sneak has a decent chance of killing GeoXern with mid rolls; this never happens with Jolly, meaning that it can set up on Salamence and sweep once Pdon is weakened. More calcs included below.
    • https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-980548260 Here's a replay to illustrate the tradeoff-- turn 10 Jolly would have helped, because I could have fished for speed tie win instead of being forced out into Ferrothorn, but turn 22 I would not have been able to kill without Adamant. There are merits to using both natures, so I think it can be slashed Adamant / Jolly.
  • 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 246-291 (62.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Arceus-Ground: 396-466 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
  • +1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Fairy: 417-492 (93.9 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

• 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 225-265 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Arceus-Ground: 360-424 (81 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
  • +1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Fairy: 381-448 (85.8 - 100.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

• 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 109-130 (27.7 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
You are completely correct adamant has merits, overall a conclusion was reached that Jolly just brings more merits. How you should play the team, i.e be the one pressing hazards agaisnt the opponent due to the natural weak hazard removals this meta offers outside of ho-oh balances, bulky offenses / HOs etc ferro spikes wants to take advantage of this.

I do have plans to list alternative options to consider on every team, and mentions such as these will be included.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Holy Ghost

This team is very close to getting everything right. As Exiline pointed out Bold Arceus-Water is crucial for marshadow. Sadly the Giratina-O and Primal Groudon sets need completely reworking. The team lacks Stealth Rock which is an important aspect of any ubers team. discussing this, we feel Groudon should be Offensive Overheat + Stealth Rock. There is also an issue with the matchup against fatter teams, Stallbreaker Yveltal would fit absolutely optimal here. Calm Giratina also completely takes away from the offensive pressure Giratina requires to function, it needs to be offensive, 252 hp / 204 spa / 52 spdef with a modest nature is absolutely robust enough to deal with all primal groudon variants, provide more offensive pressure on teams and still fulfill the role required on the team.

Similar to Zenithals team, this team would require too many set changes / ev optimisations to rework the build to be accepted as a sample team. Like Zenithal, I have also taken the time to kindly draft up an optimised version of the team: https://pokepast.es/375a703ee83526be
I actually forgot about this, but I made an alternative version of Holy Ghost's team that I would like to submit: https://pokepast.es/315e9c53feef5d1c I also have some replays from a couple of months ago demonstrating it in action.
  • Using Toxapex over Arceus-Water provides the team a much stronger check to Marshadow, and a secondary Toxic immunity that can pivot into Ho-Oh/support Dusk Mane so Magearna isn't forced to use Heal Bell as often. Plus, both Giratina (Hex) and Mewtwo Y (for supportceus/Marshadow) really appreciate tspikes support.
  • Running Toxapex allows us to run Arceus-Dark as the support Arceus, which is great because it's a more reliable switch-in to Lunala, Ultra Necrozma and opposing MMY and isn't overly pressured by rocks like Yveltal is.
  • Toxapex is holding Shuca Berry in order to mitigate some of the Arceus-Ground weakness, since we have 3 Ground weaks and the only Ground immunity (Giratina) is actually setup fodder for Calm Mind variants. For support, it allows you to safely use Toxic on it so that it can't continue Defogging on Groudon/Toxapex throughout the match. It also allows you to lead Toxapex against Groudon and use Toxic/set tspikes in their face.
  • Giratina has Dragon Pulse in order to deal with Substitute Ekiller/Arceus-Ground better.
  • Giratina's EV spread lets it take 2 Eruptions from Primal Groudon, live 2 +1 Tarrows from Zygarde after rocks and hits a Special Attack jump point.
Although this would be the 3rd MM2Y build, I think Toxapex is pretty underrated so it'd be cool to include it in one of the samples.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I actually forgot about this, but I made an alternative version of Holy Ghost's team that I would like to submit: https://pokepast.es/315e9c53feef5d1c I also have some replays from a couple of months ago demonstrating it in action.
  • Using Toxapex over Arceus-Water provides the team a much stronger check to Marshadow, and a secondary Toxic immunity that can pivot into Ho-Oh/support Dusk Mane so Magearna isn't forced to use Heal Bell as often. Plus, both Giratina (Hex) and Mewtwo Y (for supportceus/Marshadow) really appreciate tspikes support.
  • Running Toxapex allows us to run Arceus-Dark as the support Arceus, which is great because it's a more reliable switch-in to Lunala, Ultra Necrozma and opposing MMY and isn't overly pressured by rocks like Yveltal is.
  • Toxapex is holding Shuca Berry in order to mitigate some of the Arceus-Ground weakness, since we have 3 Ground weaks and the only Ground immunity (Giratina) is actually setup fodder for Calm Mind variants. For support, it allows you to safely use Toxic on it so that it can't continue Defogging on Groudon/Toxapex throughout the match. It also allows you to lead Toxapex against Groudon and use Toxic/set tspikes in their face.
  • Giratina has Dragon Pulse in order to deal with Substitute Ekiller/Arceus-Ground better.
  • Giratina's EV spread lets it take 2 Eruptions from Primal Groudon, live 2 +1 Tarrows from Zygarde after rocks and hits a Special Attack jump point.
Although this would be the 3rd MM2Y build, I think Toxapex is pretty underrated so it'd be cool to include it in one of the samples.
I've been discussing this team, it looks good on paper. but I think its going to have to be rejected in the current state.
  • It allows too many free turns to Primal Kyogre with your passive team options (toxapex, magearna, I dont agree Toxapex is a good enough Kyogre Pivot like Arceus Water usually is for example. I think the Groudon really needs to be bulkier to help deal with Primal Kyogre better on this team, we dont feel the offensive stopping power makes up for dealing with Kyogre
  • This team struggles against stall, there isnt generally a sound breaker on the team, which means against fatter builds its just going to lose in the long wrong, MMY cant really break modern stalls that sport a Arceus-Dark or Fat lunala.
  • Shuca Berry Toxapex isnt really the best course of action for an item. Rocky Helmet is probably the best option to help out against Ho-Oh, Marshadow (mega salamence in a pinch too). Shed shell could also be considered as it would avoid toxapex being trapped by Mega Gengar, Gothitelle etc so you wouldnt lose it in those matchups.

I've been thinking about an alternative build that covers the points I raised above.

https://pokepast.es/c991be6f0df281f7

Let me know what you think.

-------

Submissions aside, i've also updated the OP with indepth descriptions of each team in the samples, how the team and team members function etc and short info on the main threats to every team and how the team deals with them etc. If theres anything you feel should be added please let me know and I hope people, especially newer players find these descriptions useful.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I've been discussing this team, it looks good on paper. but I think its going to have to be rejected in the current state.
  • It allows too many free turns to Primal Kyogre with your passive team options (toxapex, magearna, I dont agree Toxapex is a good enough Kyogre Pivot like Arceus Water usually is for example. I think the Groudon really needs to be bulkier to help deal with Primal Kyogre better on this team, we dont feel the offensive stopping power makes up for dealing with Kyogre
  • This team struggles against stall, there isnt generally a sound breaker on the team, which means against fatter builds its just going to lose in the long wrong, MMY cant really break modern stalls that sport a Arceus-Dark or Fat lunala.
  • Shuca Berry Toxapex isnt really the best course of action for an item. Rocky Helmet is probably the best option to help out against Ho-Oh, Marshadow (mega salamence in a pinch too). Shed shell could also be considered as it would avoid toxapex being trapped by Mega Gengar, Gothitelle etc so you wouldnt lose it in those matchups.

I've been thinking about an alternative build that covers the points I raised above.

https://pokepast.es/c991be6f0df281f7

Let me know what you think.
Kyogre is for sure a threat, but we have 2 Water resists besides Groudon, Pex survives 1 Thunder from full to get a Toxic off, and MM2Y can revenge kill it. It is also vulnerable to tspikes, so you can just get them up and play around it (see the last replay I posted for example).

A bulkier Groudon spread could be nice, but it should keep Rock Tomb since you don't want it to be the case that Pex is the only answer to Ho-Oh and the rest of the team just gets walled by it (seeing as how Pex can be overwhelmed by LO/CB sets pretty easily, gets trapped by Shadow Tag users, etc). No need for Toxic since we already have tspikes support.

The first replay I posted was against a stall team, Toxapex was able to pretty much sit on everything and annoy the hell out of the team with tspikes. Granted, stall teams with Mega Sableye + Giratina would probably be able to shut down pex fully but if you are able to get tspikes up, then the checks you mentioned have a much harder time checking m2.

I think the build you posted looks interesting but I did choose Magearna over NDM/Ultra for a reason. The build you have will lose to CM Darkceus (unless you manage to set up first somehow and lure it with Outrage, but Darkceus can literally lead off against anything and set up) and to that sample webs team with Taunt Yveltal. If you are running Outrage on Ultra, that the team can easily be swept Geomancy Xerneas after Pdon gets chipped, since Ultra is unable to revenge kill + gives free setup if locked in.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Kyogre is for sure a threat, but we have 2 Water resists besides Groudon, Pex survives 1 Thunder from full to get a Toxic off, and MM2Y can revenge kill it. It is also vulnerable to tspikes, so you can just get them up and play around it (see the last replay I posted for example).

A bulkier Groudon spread could be nice, but it should keep Rock Tomb since you don't want it to be the case that Pex is the only answer to Ho-Oh and the rest of the team just gets walled by it (seeing as how Pex can be overwhelmed by LO/CB sets pretty easily, gets trapped by Shadow Tag users, etc). No need for Toxic since we already have tspikes support.

The first replay I posted was against a stall team, Toxapex was able to pretty much sit on everything and annoy the hell out of the team with tspikes. Granted, stall teams with Mega Sableye + Giratina would probably be able to shut down pex fully but if you are able to get tspikes up, then the checks you mentioned have a much harder time checking m2.

I think the build you posted looks interesting but I did choose Magearna over NDM/Ultra for a reason. The build you have will lose to CM Darkceus (unless you manage to set up first somehow and lure it with Outrage, but Darkceus can literally lead off against anything and set up) and to that sample webs team with Taunt Yveltal. If you are running Outrage on Ultra, that the team can easily be swept Geomancy Xerneas after Pdon gets chipped, since Ultra is unable to revenge kill + gives free setup if locked in.
I did some calculations vs Water Spout / Origin Pulse / Ice Beam Kyogre (the analysis set). Giratina-O is 2hko'd, Pex risks being OHKO by thunder after SR. Groudon could be Rock Tomb, sure. Im not confident in the ability of how your opp played the stall mu. with a bulkier Groudon and a item change on pex, I would probably accept this. (the spread I posted), if you're happy with that Im happy to do it. but honestly the stall mu of this team relies on you being much better than the opponent, its hard, but doable.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I did some calculations vs Water Spout / Origin Pulse / Ice Beam Kyogre (the analysis set). Giratina-O is 2hko'd, Pex risks being OHKO by thunder after SR. Groudon could be Rock Tomb, sure. Im not confident in the ability of how your opp played the stall mu. with a bulkier Groudon and a item change on pex, I would probably accept this. (the spread I posted), if you're happy with that Im happy to do it. but honestly the stall mu of this team relies on you being much better than the opponent, its hard, but doable.
Sure, that sounds great. Here is the final paste for you then: https://pokepast.es/2ef0b96944b00e25 I put Stone Edge instead of Rock Tomb since there's no speed on Groudon. I think you should at least mention Shuca in the description as an alternative for the CM Groundceus matchup.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Full team with description + threatlist for you to paste in.

:mewtwo-mega-y::magearna::arceus-dark::toxapex::giratina-origin::groudon-primal:
Mega Mewtwo Y + Magearna Bulky Offense
This is a bulky offense team featuring Calm Mind Mega Mewtwo Y as the main wincon / revenge killer. Magearna was the first partner chosen as it can counter many of Mewtwo Y's checks and revenge killers, including Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Choice Scarf Xerneas. It also provides valuable cleric support for teammates. Given that Mega Mewtwo Y can also struggle against Lunala and Ultra Necrozma, in the latter case due to having to guess between Ice Beam and Fire Blast, a solid answer to them was also needed; Arceus-Dark provides this, and is not held by a Stealth Rock weakness like Yveltal. The team was very weak to Marshadow at this point, so Toxapex was chosen next in order to deal with it. Giratina provides the team with a Ground immunity, Defogger, and reliable check to Primal Groudon. Finally, Primal Groudon sets Stealth Rock and is running a bulky spread in order to better check Primal Kyogre.

Toxapex offers some distinct advantages over other Marshadow checks like Ho-Oh and Zygarde-C. It isn't weak to coverage moves such as Rock Tomb or Hidden Power Ice, is immune to Toxic which lets it pivot into Ho-Oh, Arceus-Water, and defensive Dusk Mane with relative ease, and provides Toxic Spikes support which is hugely beneficial for teammates. For Mega Mewtwo Y, it will have an easier time breaking past bulky Pokemon like support Arceus formes and Primal Groudon, and it will force its revenge killers / checks like Marshadow and Lunala to get poisoned. For Magearna, Ground-types can no longer come in on it to block Volt Switch. It boosts the power of Hex from Giratina. Finally, Groudon is able to put a lot more pressure on support Arceus formes, especially ones that lack a Fire resistance like Arceus-Ground.
:arceus-ground:
Calm Mind Arceus-Ground is extremely threatening to this team. Your best bet is to use Toxic on it with Toxapex or Arceus-Dark then try to play around it. Toxapex will usually live one Judgment if it is at full health, Mewtwo can also revenge kill it with Psystrike and beat it 1v1 in a Calm Mind war. Be aware that this Pokemon can set up on Giratina. Running Shuca Berry on Toxapex is an option to improve the matchup against this Pokemon.

:tyranitar::muk-alola::marshadow:
Pursuit trappers like Tyranitar and Alolan Muk can safely switch into and remove MM2Y, which will make it much harder to break fatter teams.

:gengar-mega::gothitelle:
If you are not running Shed Shell on Toxapex, it is completely liable to trapping by Shadow Tag users, so be wary of them. Mega Gengar can also be a hindrance due to its ability to absorb Toxic Spikes. On the bright side, however, Mega Mewtwo Y may have a good matchup against teams that rely on Mega Gengar to deal with Ultra Necrozma, as they will sometimes employ weaker checks to Psychic-types.

:marshadow:
Bulk Up Marshadow has a chance to knock out Toxapex with its +1 Z-Move after Stealth Rock damage. If Magearna and Groudon have been weakened, then it can go to town on the rest of the team. You may have to outplay the opponent by wasting the Z-Move on another Pokemon. Setting Toxic Spikes beforehand can also be helpful in order to limit it.

:necrozma-dusk-mane:
Setup Necrozma-DM with Weakness Policy can be a big threat due to the team's lack of priority; it can set up on Magearna, Mega Mewtwo Y, Toxapex or even a weakened Arceus-Dark and put in a lot of work. This Pokemon is one of the reasons why Giratina has Will-O-Wisp and is another reason to consider running Shuca Berry on Toxapex, which will let you get off an emergency Haze.

:sableye-mega::giratina:
Stall teams can be a pain to break through. Giratina beats both of our hazard setters due to Pressure, although Toxapex can force it to use Rest after a while. Mega Sableye + Giratina however will completely invalidate both our hazard setters. Stall teams also frequently pack the Pursuit trappers mentioned above.

Last edited:
This might probably be one of the last submissions for this Gen but
Specs Yveltal + Curse Mega Scizor
https://pokepast.es/3bc9325286f9436e

This team is a Bulky Offense that revolves around Specs Yveltal which is one of the main breakers of the team with its two great STAB moves in Dark pulse and Oblivion Wing which hit hard. Mega Scizor helps Yveltal by being a good pivot vs fairy types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna while making a nice U-turn to get each other into their respectful targets. Arceus-Water acts as a supporter which provides Stealth Rocks and a check to mons like Ho-oh, Zygarde, Salamence, and Special based Primal Groudons while Giratina-O acts as a pivot to mons like Physical Primal Groudon and remove hazard entry for Pokemon like Yveltal to get free turns. Primal Groudon and Ultra Necrozma are the main wincons used here. Primal Groudon is great vs offensive while Ultra Necrozma is great vs balance as its able to wallbreak pretty easily.

This was typed on my phone so I'll probably make some edits and some sprites to make it more appealing n_n

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I guess I'll join in and submit this as well before the generation ends: https://pokepast.es/00061df9d41b40b4 The Marshadow matchup is a bit sketchy, but other than that I'm very satisfied with it. It has some nice qualities:

- Adequate Ho-Oh counterplay + good GeoXern checks (very hard to achieve with Groundceus + Ferro in my opinion)
- Good number of outs vs stall
- Lunala can help revenge setup mons like DD Mence/Zygarde/Ray, which Groundceus can't check too well due to its lack of bulk investment
- Lunala can deal with Ultra/MM2Y pretty easily (most of the other builds I've attempted have had issues with these mons)

I can do a more in-depth writeup if this is accepted.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I guess I'll join in and submit this as well before the generation ends: https://pokepast.es/00061df9d41b40b4 The Marshadow matchup is a bit sketchy, but other than that I'm very satisfied with it. It has some nice qualities:

- Adequate Ho-Oh counterplay + good GeoXern checks (very hard to achieve with Groundceus + Ferro in my opinion)
- Lunala can help revenge setup mons like DD Mence/Zygarde/Ray, which Groundceus can't check too well due to its lack of bulk investment
- Lunala can deal with Ultra/MM2Y pretty easily (most of the other builds I've attempted have had issues with these mons)

when you say hooh counterplay, do you just mean the defensive set? cos this team does not want to switch into an offensive brave bird at all

also calling marsh matchup "a bit sketchy" is too generous, all marsh sets give this team too much trouble. does the mence need to be max max offensive? if you could provide a few replays of playing marsh, that'd be nice. personally, im also interested in ekiller matchups but it doesn't look too threatening

also
  • Explanations of how the teams work is required with your submission and what roles the team members serve on the team. It should highlight the focus or intent of the team, you may also include any successes with you have had with the team such as tournament games.
you need to provide a write-up while submitting, not if it gets accepted o.o

edit: cm/specs lunala also a threat

Another thing that could help the marsh matchup is running standard support EVs on the arceus, which allows you to avoid the 2hko vs LO CC most of the time and also allows you to switch into mega lucario much more easily, just a thought bc cm arceus ground is terrifying even with no SpA investment

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
when you say hooh counterplay, do you just mean the defensive set? cos this team does not want to switch into an offensive brave bird at all

also calling marsh matchup "a bit sketchy" is too generous, all marsh sets give this team too much trouble. does the mence need to be max max offensive? if you could provide a few replays of playing marsh, that'd be nice. personally, im also interested in ekiller matchups but it doesn't look too threatening

also
you need to provide a write-up while submitting, not if it gets accepted o.o

edit: cm/specs lunala also a threat
There is a Salamence + HP invested Pdon with Stone Edge + HP invested Kyogre, the team has plenty of methods for dealing with Ho-Oh in my opinion.

I was initially experimenting with defensive Salamence + CM 3 attacks Kyogre but I found that Ferrothorn and Waterceus gave the team a lot of trouble that way. Salamence needs to be attack-invested to threaten Ferrothorn / for a better matchup vs stall.

Salamence is the best "dedicated Marshadow switch-in" on the team, which admittedly isn't desirable, but everything else besides Lunala can live 1 hit from it, so I'd say it's not overly weak to it. It's possible to replace Lunala with a scarf Yveltal to improve the matchup vs that and other Ghost-types, although I value Lunala's ability to prevent setup from just running thru the team (again, DD Mence cannot be properly handled by Groundceus due to no bulk) and be much harder to switch into than Yveltal in general.

Ekiller is handled by way of getting prior damage with a teammate (at least 50% in case it's Chople) + picking it off with Focus Blast from Lunala.

Here's a writeup for the team:
This is a bulky offense team built around Calm Mind Arceus-Ground, which is a very threatening balance breaker in the current meta. Max speed Primal Groudon with Stone Edge is able to set Stealth Rock on Ho-Oh and lure Primal Kyogre, which are two of the only offensive switch-ins to Arceus-Ground. Having Swords Dance on it improves the stall matchup, letting it pressure Defoggers like Giratina more easily. RestTalk Kyogre helps immensely with pivoting into Arceus-Water and opposing Kyogre; the EV spread allows it to survive Origin Pulse followed by Thunder, +1 Thunder, and 2 Water Spouts from Modest Kyogre, so it's generally a safe pivot from Arceus-Ground / Primal Groudon. Choice Scarf Lunala is our method of speed control and check to Ultra Necrozma, which is important since Ultra Necrozma is very threatening to the dual primal archetype. With Shadow Shield intact, it can also revenge kill setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Mega Salamence / Rayquaza that Arceus-Ground can't properly handle due to its lack of bulk investment. Magearna provides cleric support for the team, which is important for Kyogre in particular, and checks Dark- and Fairy-types like Yveltal and Xerneas. Mega Salamence provides Defog support and is our primary switch-in to threats like Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Marshadow.

I tested this team a fair amount yesterday but forgot to save most of the replays unfortunately, I'll get some more games and edit them into this post later.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
There is a Salamence + HP invested Pdon with Stone Edge + HP invested Kyogre, the team has plenty of methods for dealing with Ho-Oh in my opinion.
and all of them take more than half on switch in, and hooh comes in freely on groundceus lunala magearna(even if you can volt switch)
Salamence is the best "dedicated Marshadow switch-in" on the team, which admittedly isn't desirable, but everything else besides Lunala can live 1 hit from it
i really don't know how you switch into a lo marsh at all
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 72 Def Kyogre-Primal: 251-296 (62.2 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Ground: 212-251 (55.6 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 165-195 (44 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
if mence has mega'd and is below 90 on switch in, it dies to cc+tomb

and a choice locked lunala or +2 don are good enough opportunities for marsh to come in

im sure the team has worked for you otherwise you wouldn't post in the first place, and ik you're a good enough player to give you the benefit of doubt, but you seem to be looking at threats in a 1v1 scenario which isn't the correct way to go about it

Cynara

Banned deucer.

[/hide]
I dont really see what Scarf Lunala merits over a scarf Yveltal and the main reason players pick lunala is for its wallbreaking capabilities against stall or defensive defog on teams like stall. Scarf Yveltal would allow for more team freedom. Defensive Kyogre is really a momentum sink for this team / is redundant with the lunala team option at face value, defensively lunala could be worth exploring with removing kyogre and doesnt really warrant much over fast CM, phys def kyogre doesnt really have much of a role in the current meta either.

As it stands this team would definitely benefit from a restructure due to the issues it faces such as the Marshadow MU and some redundancy in the team members. Something like Mega Gengar /CM Primal Kyogre / Primal Groudon / CM Arceus-Ground / Bulky Scarf Yveltal / Magearna is a team Nayrz built for example during UPL 7, it gives the team more much offensive opportunities which this kind of structure needs. I believe he teched magearna with Reflect to help with switching in to physical threats and help out kyogre massively.

I do want a Lunala team but I have plans to add one im building one to refine the sets before submitting, cause we need something with the dual ghost archetype.
This might probably be one of the last submissions for this Gen but
Specs Yveltal + Curse Mega Scizor
https://pokepast.es/3bc9325286f9436e

This team is a Bulky Offense that revolves around Specs Yveltal which is one of the main breakers of the team with its two great STAB moves in Dark pulse and Oblivion Wing which hit hard. Mega Scizor helps Yveltal by being a good pivot vs fairy types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna while making a nice U-turn to get each other into their respectful targets. Arceus-Water acts as a supporter which provides Stealth Rocks and a check to mons like Ho-oh, Zygarde, Salamence, and Special based Primal Groudons while Giratina-O acts as a pivot to mons like Physical Primal Groudon and remove hazard entry for Pokemon like Yveltal to get free turns. Primal Groudon and Ultra Necrozma are the main wincons used here. Primal Groudon is great vs offensive while Ultra Necrozma is great vs balance as its able to wallbreak pretty easily.

This was typed on my phone so I'll probably make some edits and some sprites to make it more appealing n_n
As much as I like this team, it doesnt fit the requirements of a reliable yveltal (mainly Life Orb) counterplay a sample team would need. (Lack of yveltal resist or switch in that isnt 2hkod after SR) or overwhelming offensive options to overcome this

MMY BO
https://pokepast.es/dc7c736d368ae8bd

The team is pretty self explanatory. Its about giving the opponent no space to breathe. The waterceus is designed such to take ferro by surprise while acting as a good pivot on steels. The current sample team of MMY BO by Garay Oak is amazingly weak to ferro. Specs xerneas is an aamazing anti lead in USM which sees the most common leads as ygod, gira o or even donner (can chip it rather heavily) though its main purpose in this team is to chip pdon. Scarf marsh is an amazing revenge killer which pursuit traps gar , ultra necro while outspeeding all RP variants of all mons( Pdon, DM) and all DD variants of all mons(Zyg, Mega tar) while also outspeeding ultra necro. SR power gem necro is straight up explosive as it blocks almost all the defoggers while doing heavy damage to ygod. Heat wave is not being used because the steel has been pretty adequately covered by the other mons. Using double SR is something which is super clutch as a normal defogger cant take the pressure of two rockers and also in the ideal situation of a good player playing this team, SR necro should be enough to keep rocks on threaten common defoggers (ygod, ho oh, gira o, mence). CM MMY, needless to say, is an amazing revenge killer which cleans ever so amazingly. This gen has saw it truly spring to prominence. The defensive tox roar set is a pretty effective set which can roar the likes of zyg while toxing a groundceus while successfully eating one. Once the groundceus is toxed, xern plus marsh plus MMY apply enormous pressure. One argument people can pose is that there is no defog. The fact is, this team is designed to thrive without defog as the offensive synergy is amazing. Some would say webs has not been covered which is also not true, scarf marsh outspeeds smeargle even after eating a glare. All the other mons outspeed smeargle if it in case is switched out on the second close combat except for pdon which is a pretty good situation for us. The bulky waterceus set plus defensive pdon set is completely meant to cushion against the usual revenge killers like marsh, e killer etc. Scarf marsh plus MMY provide for no offensive oriented mon to setup while also destroying slow teams. This in my opinion is the best team with MMY this generation. You can also use grass knot instead of fire blast on MMY. Its truly one of the best and has no weaknesses if played by a good player with the right mindset.

I used it against a couple of players who can attest to the quality of the team but wont release replays as they all are in the circuit

1) Pohjis (W)
2) Goat Heart( W)
3) Dovah( W)
4) Henri (W)

It also is 20 - 1 in ladder currently.

I have criticized all the sample teams and the panel barring a few and I expect for the panel to build at this quality and make better teams and concepts.

Edit: After seeing all scenarios, defog can be switched out for tox on specs xern

Last edited:

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
MMY BO
https://pokepast.es/dc7c736d368ae8bd

The team is pretty self explanatory. Its about giving the opponent no space to breathe. The waterceus is designed such to take ferro by surprise while acting as a good pivot on steels. The current sample team of MMY BO by Garay Oak is amazingly weak to ferro. Specs xerneas is an aamazing anti lead in USM which sees the most common leads as ygod, gira o or even donner (can chip it rather heavily) though its main purpose in this team is to chip pdon. Scarf marsh is an amazing revenge killer which pursuit traps gar , ultra necro while outspeeding all RP variants of all mons( Pdon, DM) and all DD variants of all mons(Zyg, Mega tar) while also outspeeding ultra necro. SR power gem necro is straight up explosive as it blocks almost all the defoggers while doing heavy damage to ygod. Heat wave is not being used because the steel has been pretty adequately covered by the other mons. Using double SR is something which is super clutch as a normal defogger cant take the pressure of two rockers and also in the ideal situation of a good player playing this team, SR necro should be enough to keep rocks on threaten common defoggers (ygod, ho oh, gira o, mence). CM MMY, needless to say, is an amazing revenge killer which cleans ever so amazingly. This gen has saw it truly spring to prominence. The defensive tox roar set is a pretty effective set which can roar the likes of zyg while toxing a groundceus while successfully eating one. Once the groundceus is toxed, xern plus marsh plus MMY apply enormous pressure. One argument people can pose is that there is no defog. The fact is, this team is designed to thrive without defog as the offensive synergy is amazing. Some would say webs has not been covered which is also not true, scarf marsh outspeeds smeargle even after eating a glare. All the other mons outspeed smeargle if it in case is switched out on the second close combat except for pdon which is a pretty good situation for us. The bulky waterceus set plus defensive pdon set is completely meant to cushion against the usual revenge killers like marsh, e killer etc. Scarf marsh plus MMY provide for no offensive oriented mon to setup while also destroying slow teams. This in my opinion is the best team with MMY this generation. You can also use grass knot instead of fire blast on MMY. Its truly one of the best and has no weaknesses if played by a good player with the right mindset.

I used it against a couple of players who can attest to the quality of the team but wont release replays as they all are in the circuit

1) Pohjis (W)
2) Goat Heart( W)
3) Dovah( W)
4) Henri (W)
5) The Trap God(W)

It also is 20 - 1 in ladder currently.

I have criticized all the sample teams and the panel barring a few and I expect for the panel to build at this quality and make better teams and concepts.

Edit: After seeing all scenarios, defog can be switched out for tox on specs xern

I spoke with the whole council re discussing this team not like I care about their opinions since the sexiline is the truth but we all reached the overall conclusion to reject the team.

the main underlying issue is that the team relies on too many unique techs in order to function which only comes from the wealth of experience that a higher level player would have. Sample teams are aimed towards newer players who just getting into the metagame and need to be simple and easy to use to reflect this.

Saying this team has no weaknesses is not an accurate claim. The lack of Defog means hazard stack teams are a pressing issue, (think toxapex t spikes etc). I feel you overlook the Sticky Webs matchup, one of the best partners for Sticky Web teams is Ultra Necrozma which Scarf Marshadow is still slower than after a speed drop. The team lacks a good ground type check or an immunity which makes Primal Groudon sets such as Swords Dance, difficult to switch into.

Other weaknesses to this team include Offensive Yveltal (Life Orb / Choice Specs). Your only switchin is a univested xerneas which gets worn down easily over time, which is rather overwhelming for an offense team. There are other concerns to the team including Bulk up Z Move Marshadow and Calm Mind Lunala, but these arent as demanding as the other outlying issues.

I spoke with the whole council re discussing this team not like I care about their opinions since the sexiline is the truth but we all reached the overall conclusion to reject the team.

the main underlying issue is that the team relies on too many unique techs in order to function which only comes from the wealth of experience that a higher level player would have. Sample teams are aimed towards newer players who just getting into the metagame and need to be simple and easy to use to reflect this.

Saying this team has no weaknesses is not an accurate claim. The lack of Defog means hazard stack teams are a pressing issue, (think toxapex t spikes etc). I feel you overlook the Sticky Webs matchup, one of the best partners for Sticky Web teams is Ultra Necrozma which Scarf Marshadow is still slower than after a speed drop. The team lacks a good ground type check or an immunity which makes Primal Groudon sets such as Swords Dance, difficult to switch into.

Other weaknesses to this team include Offensive Yveltal (Life Orb / Choice Specs). Your only switchin is a univested xerneas which gets worn down easily over time, which is rather overwhelming for an offense team. There are other concerns to the team including Bulk up Z Move Marshadow and Calm Mind Lunala, but these arent as demanding as the other outlying issues.
I get the issues with the higher skill ceiling of the team, frankly is tough for a newcomer to play it but still just released it. Regardless, pex is a problem yes, for that I tweaked the xern set a bit actually, made it thunder defog. As for the specs or LO ygod mu, it’s not even a remote threat as every mon out there atleast toxes the ygod or can effectively trade. Waterceus can take two oblivion wings and return with toxic, sacking MMY to ygod with ice beam if the ygod is at full is a good trade from our scenario. On paper, what even stops specs ygod apart from mag in general? It’s about the level of outplaying and also lunala is prolly the easiest threat to eliminate. The pdon can also tox or SR depending on the scenario while an aggressive switch on oblivion wing to the DM will ensure a very good position for us as we can set rocks up and then have the option of ultraing and hitting the next switch in. As for the webs mu, what in the world is smeargle setting webs again is the first argument. Second argument it is fairly easy for us to SR due to two SR users with supposed defensive and offensive utility both combined. The Waterceus plus defensive pdon plus sneak marsh should be able to handle the likes of ultra necro with rather ease. There are two types of necro on webs, either it’s SR Special necro which isn’t even remotely a problem for the team looking that we have a DM of our own which can force early ultra mind games along with a xern and MMY for special absorb. The other necro is offensive SD set which can be tough to maneuver against granted but the whole premise of the team is no one is letting the webs up if being used by a good player. A good team cannot cover all mus unfortunately USM is too vast for that. The pdon on other circumstances can come across as a great pain to the opposing team. BU z move Marshadow isn’t even remotely a threat where you have a fat as hell waterceus which isn’t nearly 2hkoed by LO CC. Lunala is prolly the easiest thing to beat because of the pursuit trap and four mons that outspeed it. Somehow your only legitimate threat to this team is pex which I am countering with thunder defog and am gonna release the updated squad. Regardless of the fact tho, the current so called “easy to use” sample teams are going to give them no room to learn or improve as they are going to be potentially losing 90 percent of their games. The teams are low in quality with holes that are very prominent. My team might be a bit on the advanced side of things granted but atleast the team is a legitimate one and can actually put in work.

Summary: Specs or LO ygod isn’t even nearly a threat, an aggro double or a sack trade with it puts you in good standing. I don’t know how lunala is even a remote threat when it’s out sped and pursuit trapped by four mons. BU marsh is the least threatening mon against team. Marsh has no room to setup is the first reason, waterceus plus pdon eat it’s hardest hits is the second, all you have to do with waterceus is tox and recover spam.

Here is the updated version with defog and thunder on xern.
https://pokepast.es/eb53b2108d4e3546

Attachments

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I get the issues with the higher skill ceiling of the team, frankly is tough for a newcomer to play it but still just released it. Regardless, pex is a problem yes, for that I tweaked the xern set a bit actually, made it thunder defog. As for the specs or LO ygod mu, it’s not even a remote threat as every mon out there atkeast toxes the ygod or can effectively trade. Waterceus can take two oblivion wings and return with toxic, sacking MMY to ygod with ice beam if the ygod is at full is a good trade from our scenario. On paper, what even stops specs ygod apart from mag in general? It’s about the level of outplaying and also lunala is prolly the easiest threat to eliminate. The pdon can also tox or SR depending on the scenario while an aggressive switch on oblivion wing to the DM will ensure a very good position for us as we can set rocks up and then have the option of ultraing and hitting the next switch in. As for the webs mu, what in the world is smeargle setting webs again is the first argument. Second argument it is fairly easy for us to SR due to two SR users with supposed and offensive utility both combined. The Waterceus plus defensive pdon plus sneak marsh should be able to handle the likes of ultra necro with rather ease. There are two types of necro on webs, either it’s SR Special necro which isn’t even remotely a problem for the team looking that we have a DM or our own which can force early ultra mind games along with a xern and MMY for special absorb. The other necro is offensive SD set which can be tough to maneuver against granted but the whole premise of the team is no one is letting the webs up if being used by a good player. A good team cannot cover all mus unfortunately USM is too vast for that. The pdon on other circumstances can come across as a great pain to the opposing team. BU z move Marshadow isn’t even remotely a threat where you have a fat as hell waterceus which isn’t nearly 2hkoed by LO CC. Lunala is prolly the easiest thing to beat because of the pursuit trap and four mons that outspeed it. Somehow your only legitimate threat to this team is pex which I am countering with thunder defog and am gonna release the updated squad. Regardless of the fact tho, the current so called “easy to use” teams are going to give them no room to learn or improve as they are going to be potentially losing 90 percent of their games. The teams are low in quality with holes that are very prominent. My team might be a bit on the advanced side of things granted but atleast the team is a legitimate one and can actually put in work.

Summary: Specs or LO ygod isn’t even nearly a threat, an aggro double or a sack trade with it puts you in good standing. I don’t know how lunala is even a remote threat when it’s out sped and pursuit trapped by four mons. BU marsh is the least threatening mon against team. Marsh has no room to setup is the first reason, waterceus plus pdon eat it’s hardest hits is the second, all you have to do with waterceus is tox and recover spam.

Here is the updated version with defog and thunder on xern.
https://pokepast.es/eb53b2108d4e3546
This team still does not satisfy the main rejection reason as stated here:
Nor does it solve the other issues of the team that were pointed out such as the lack of reliable Ground move switchins. I don't hard agree on the lunala issues, something that was brought up briefly and not really a glaring weakness of the team at all.

Also following the rules in the OP of the thread

It is discouraged to argue a rejection of a team in the thread, please discuss teams in a civil manner in terms of why you think a team should be reviewed again under special circumstances i.e significant improvements to the structure of the team
If you have any issues with how sample teams are handled, you are more than welcome to send your concerns to a forum moderator such as Nayrz or Dream, the overall decision reached of the team is standing, unless the future submitted teams satisfy the conditions that are required to be a sample team.

Last edited:
This team still does not satisfy the main rejection reason as stated here:

Nor does it solve the other issues of the team that were pointed out such as the lack of reliable Ground move switchins.

Also following the rules in the OP of the thread

If you have any issues with how sample teams are handled, you are more than welcome to send your concerns to a forum moderator such as Nayrz or Dream, the overall decision reached of the team is standing, unless the future submitted teams satisfy the conditions that are required to be a sample team.
Never expected it to be in the samples imo but def am gonna see it being used in circuit playoffs so mission kinda accomplished. Imma see you on ladder playing with this shit on an alt tho. :)

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I dont really see what Scarf Lunala merits over a scarf Yveltal and the main reason players pick lunala is for its wallbreaking capabilities against stall or defensive defog on teams like stall. Scarf Yveltal would allow for more team freedom. Defensive Kyogre is really a momentum sink for this team / is redundant with the lunala team option at face value, defensively lunala could be worth exploring with removing kyogre and doesnt really warrant much over fast CM, phys def kyogre doesnt really have much of a role in the current meta either.

As it stands this team would definitely benefit from a restructure due to the issues it faces such as the Marshadow MU and some redundancy in the team members. Something like Mega Gengar /CM Primal Kyogre / Primal Groudon / CM Arceus-Ground / Bulky Scarf Yveltal / Magearna is a team Nayrz built for example during UPL 7, it gives the team more much offensive opportunities which this kind of structure needs. I believe he teched magearna with Reflect to help with switching in to physical threats and help out kyogre massively.
I added RestTalk Kyogre mainly because of the issues with waterceus, but I suppose having Mega Gengar with Thunder would alleviate that issue. I made the changes to the team you suggested and here's the new paste: https://pokepast.es/0eb72c12e5385264 I tested it for a bit and it seems pretty good, so you can add it in this form if you're OK with it (if you do, give full credit to Nayrz for the team).
This is a bulky offense team built around Calm Mind Arceus-Ground, which is a very threatening balance breaker in the current meta. Primal Groudon checks Primal Kyogre and can set Stealth Rock on Ho-Oh / Arceus-Water thanks to Rock Tomb. Running Swords Dance improves the stall matchup, letting it pressure Defoggers like Giratina more easily. Primal Kyogre helps as a secondary pivot into opposing Primal Kyogre, and with Calm Mind + Water Spout it can put a lot of pressure on shared checks with Arceus-Ground, namely Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Blissey. Bulky Choice Scarf Yveltal provides speed control / Defog support for the team and helps to revenge kill Ghost- and Psychic- types such as Marshadow and Ultra Necrozma. Magearna provides cleric support and gives us a solid check to Dark- and Fairy-types like Yveltal and Xerneas. Lastly, Mega Gengar removes Fairy-types for Yveltal, and Thunder / Focus Blast allows it to target many Pokemon that hinder the offensive core such as Ho-Oh, Arceus-Water, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I added RestTalk Kyogre mainly because of the issues with waterceus, but I suppose having Mega Gengar with Thunder would alleviate that issue. I made the changes to the team you suggested and here's the new paste: https://pokepast.es/0eb72c12e5385264 I tested it for a bit and it seems pretty good, so you can add it in this form if you're OK with it (if you do, give full credit to Nayrz for the team).
This is a bulky offense team built around Calm Mind Arceus-Ground, which is a very threatening balance breaker in the current meta. Primal Groudon checks Primal Kyogre and can set Stealth Rock on Ho-Oh / Arceus-Water thanks to Rock Tomb. Running Swords Dance improves the stall matchup, letting it pressure Defoggers like Giratina more easily. Primal Kyogre helps as a secondary pivot into opposing Primal Kyogre, and with Calm Mind + Water Spout it can put a lot of pressure on shared checks with Arceus-Ground, namely Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Blissey. Bulky Choice Scarf Yveltal provides speed control / Defog support for the team and helps to revenge kill Ghost- and Psychic- types such as Marshadow and Ultra Necrozma. Magearna provides cleric support and gives us a solid check to Dark- and Fairy-types like Yveltal and Xerneas. Lastly, Mega Gengar removes Fairy-types for Yveltal, and Thunder / Focus Blast allows it to target many Pokemon that hinder the offensive core such as Ho-Oh, Arceus-Water, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn.
While it is good and all. The original team belongs to Nayrz which is something I pointed out in my previous post, I was honestly just trying to give you feedback on the previous submission (I feel like my post may have caused a misunderstanding here, apologies). If we do decide to add this internally, it will have to be credited to Nayrz and needs permission from the original builder since its literally a carbon copy of their team.

Last edited:

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
While is all good and all, the original team belongs to Nayrz which is something I pointed out in my previous post, I was honestly just trying to give you feedback on the previous submission (I feel like my post may have caused a misunderstanding here, apologies). If we do decide to add this internally, it will have to be credited to Nayrz and needs permission from the original builder since its literally a carbon copy of their team.
Yup I understand you were just trying to give general feedback and didn't necessarily mean to implement all of the changes you suggested. But if you take my original team and just try to replace scarf Yveltal > Lunala, then this exact team composition kind of falls into place anyway; it's natural for Kyogre to be offensive because makes it less of a momentum drain like you mentioned, and Mega Gengar is kind of the perfect fit for the last slot to deal with Waterceus/Ferrothorn. So regardless of what you said, I think I might have wound up with something very similar in trying to address the Marshadow weakness, because this build is very close to optimal imo.

Yes, please ask Nayrz for permission and accredit this to him.

Ackler

Banned deucer.
Dragon Dance Mega Salamence + Ferrothorn Spikes Bulky Offense | Provided by bigtalk
marshadow does not have a nature

The Olympian

Banned deucer.
I'd like to submit this team for samples:

Choice Spam Ho-Oh Offense
1572920730540.png
1572920751350.png
1572920778268.png
1572920819791.png
1572920856896.png
1572920872988.png

To sum things up, this team is good. I received it from a friend of mine about a year ago but I modified it a good amount to fit my playstyle, and made it bulkier than it originally was. I went 67-0 with it on Ubers ladder today, HOWEVER I must say that the ladder was glitched and I kept getting repeatedly matched against low ladder, so my GXE & Elo on the account I was using are nothing to brag about. Let me tell you though, playing THAT many games in one sitting is exhausting. It took me several hours and I planned to try to keep playing until my Glicko's RD got all the way down to 25, but unfortunately I lost this game and then I was pretty much done with the ladder's cancer.

The team is built around the idea of spamming choice items (hence the team's name), and features banded Marshadow, banded Ho-Oh, and specs Yveltal. In all honesty I don't think that it has any remarkable flaws, you can tout its consistency since I did lose a game and nearly all of my wins were against low ladder, but let me tell you, after playing 68 games in a row you're bound to make a mistake somewhere.

All 67 of my wins (in a row):
Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Game 5 Game 6 Game 7 Game 8 Game 9 Game 10
Game 11 Game 12 Game 13 Game 14 Game 15 Game 16 Game 17 Game 18 Game 19 Game 20
Game 21 Game 22 Game 23 Game 24 Game 25 Game 26 Game 27 Game 28 Game 29 Game 30
Game 31 Game 32 Game 33 Game 34 Game 35 Game 36 Game 37 Game 38 Game 39 Game 40
Game 41 Game 42 Game 43 Game 44 Game 45 Game 46 Game 47 Game 48 Game 49 Game 50
Game 51 Game 52 Game 53 Game 54 Game 55 Game 56 Game 57 Game 58 Game 59 Game 60
Game 61 Game 62 Game 63 Game 64 Game 65 Game 66 Game 67

Okay on a side note I'm sure that you're probably not gonna have the time or the interest to watch every one of those games, but you'll notice that in pretty much every single one of them my team is absolutely dominating. There are several 6-0 victories; albeit some 1 turn forfeits. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy using the team, and even if it doesn't make it into samples we have a whole new exciting generation of Pokémon ahead of us.

Screenshot (8).png
*The Random Battle games on the account are from whoever the previous owner of the account was (since it wasn't regged).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)