USUM UU Viability Ranking Thread V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nominating Blissey and Alomomola to go up to A (maybe). VenuAloBliss is a very solid stall core that is really hard to take out. Not only is each Pokemon inherently bulky, their typings, moreso Venu and Alo, also synergize well defensively, which makes the core really hard to break. Venusaur's customizability also helps stall. It can either run Leech Seed to pressure opposing bulky teams, Sleep Powder to turn a game into a 6 v 5 against Offense matchups, or run that stupid Curse set as a stall wincon. While Blissey and Alo did not necessarily become any better, Venu made stall in UU stronger, and since these two are more or less constants on UU stall, it seems logical that these two go up.

Also, along with this, Registeel could go up a bit as well. I know pif / kitten run a Steel-less variant of MVenu stall, I still think that the resistances that a Steel-type adds is pretty useful. Since stall now has to make decision choices between Venu and Aggron (and Steelix, to some degree), Registeel currently has a sizable enough niche as a Stall Steel to be squeezed into UU stall.

I’m gonna go copy dingbat’s format because I don’t want this to be some long ass post that you’ll keep scrolling down on also I’m unoriginal. So we’ve had enough time to play with the drops so it’s now time to make some noms! All of my points will be quick and concise so that I can get all of these out of the way.

Mega Venusaur to S
This is without a doubt the best mega in the tier. It’s versatilty and splashability combined with its fatness makes it a complete monster. It’s put a massive constraint on teambuilding. You NEED something that can consistently check Mega Venu or you are going to be having a very difficult time with it. This mon has definitely flipped the meta upside down.

Mamoswine to A+
Even in a Gliscor-less meta, Mamoswine has just been doing what is always does. It’s been a really strong wall breaker that has made Spikes Offense relevant again. There really isn’t anything else that I can say about it.

Amoongus to A-
The mushroom that we actually needed has returned. It is at a bit of an awkward spot though. It lost Serp and Mega Venu has been outshining it but it is a strong mon in balance teams. Spore is still a ridiculous move as usual and it can open the path for a sweeper to win the game. I think that A- is a good enough spot for Amoongus to be at currently

Alright now here’s the noms for the existing mons.

Krookodile to A+
Scarf Krook is the best scarfer in the tier imo. It provides amazing pursuit trapping support for Mega Venu. I’m always seeing myself putting this thing on teams just because of its capabilities in removing Latias, Bronzong, and other annoying Psychic types.

Terrakion to A
We’ve finally got the stars to align for Terrakion. When Terrakion gets in, it gets IN. Barely anything switches into it and if it can, it still probably won’t like how hard Terrakion dishes out its attacks. Terrakion is also pretty durable and can live some super effective hits at full.

Alomomola and Blissey to A
Stall has traded away a mon for an even deadlier one. Mega Venu blanket checks a buttload of threats for stall. These 3 mons form a strong defensive core and their typings cover each other ridiculously well. Stall’s usage has seen a rise on the ladder and that rise should reflect the playstyle with these two fat peeps rising.

Klefki to A-
Your favorite cycle mon is back in play! Hazard stacking has become a relevant playstyle again with the return of Mamoswine. It also thunder waves anything that even tries to outspeed any sweepers on your team.

Crobat and Moltres to A-
The best birbs at getting rid of Mega Venu. Moltres is busted and is a very anti meta threat. Crobat just outright counters Mega Venu. Crobat is also underrated as a stallbreaker. Super Fang is very threatening against stall as it lets Crobat to then remove the mon with a Brave Bird.

Talonflame to B+
This is another antimeta threat. As long as you keep rocks off the board on your side, Smogbird can be a deadly sweeper. It plows through Mega Venu, Amoongus, Scizor, Coballion, all of those other meta threats. Nothing else to really say just that it needs to rise.

Bronzong to B
Even with Mega Diancie getting smacked by the banhammer, B- is really underselling Bronzong’s capabilities as a sr setter. It blanket checks a lot of threats. It easily comes in on choice locked Krooks and stops the ever so prevelant Mega Venu. I’ve just been loving the bell and I think it needs a rise.

Rotom Heat to B
This Rotom has risen over its lawnmower brother. It combats the rising usage of the birbs and Bronzong, checks Mamo, and is a pretty damn good mon at removing rocks while still applying offensive pressure. It also loves that Mega Diancie got the banhammer. It switches into quite a bit of threats and a rise for the oven has been overdue at this point.

Mienshaow to C+
I think Mienshao enjoys some of the recent changes that the meta has gone through. Gliscor being gone and Mega Slowbro usage being at a low are components that have shifted into Mienshao’s favor. It still can be a little awkward to fit on teams, and it faces competition from other scarfers like Krook and Nape, but its niche is a lot more justifiable.

Alright time for the drops.

Mega Altaria to A
These drops have hit Mega Altaria the hardest. The 3 Attacks+Roost and DD set both get walled by Mega Venu and it struggles to break anything in the meta. Mamo and Scizor invalidate it and this mon will probably turn to more tanky utility sets.

Togekiss to A
The kiss unfortunately isn’t as good as it used to be either. It lost a big check in Breloom, and cannot reliably come in on Amoongus and Mega Venu. It has even more problems with Growth Mega Venu, since both mons will be at max speed and Togekiss needs to win ties which is not ideal. Still a good mon, just not doing too well.

Rotom Mow to B
Heattom has become the superior Rotom form. Bulky grasses have invalidated its unique stab combo. There really isn’t anything else that I can say about it just that it should drop.

Tsareena to B-
Rip Tsareena. Meadow Plate is just unviable now and the band set struggles to break anything. If this could outspeed Mamo, then maybe I would be less harsh on it but for now, Tsareena has gone to shit.

Mega Blastoise to B-
Its other starter Mega is in the tier. The all out attacker set gets cucked by Mega Venu and I’d rather use Rapid Spin on Starmie who can actually pressure Mega Venu.

Cofagrigus to C+
So I’m currently doing the Dark Horse project and I’ve been using an OTR team to ladder. I was using Cofagrigus on this team and I’ve realized how bad this mon is in it. Krookodile and Hydreigon are everywhere and this thing only has hp fighting to even combat them. It just takes too long to set up in tr and it’s SpA is pure garbo even after one NP boost. Even when I’m fighting TR teams, no one uses this mon. Just drop it already.

Decidueye to C+
So I’ve kept defending this mon’s placement and now I’ve lost. Bulky grasses cuck it, Hydreigon invalidates it, and it just sucks. Drop it.

Feraligatr to C
See the reasons for Decidueye. It sucks and struggles to break. Nothing else to say.

Vileplume to C-
I still love Viv’s nom for this mon so much but it just faces too much competition between Amoongus and Mega Venu, birbs say hi, and it lost a check in Breloom. It still should be ranked for its access in Strength Sap over other bulky grass but other then that, I see no reason to use this mon.

Porygon2 to the shadow realm!
I completely agree with dingbat that Porygon2 should just be unranked. There’s literally no reason to use this mon in stall, and it’s way too reliant on its Eviolite. Don’t use this mon.

Well that took too long. But yeah these are all of the noms that I have. Idk how I put all of this down on mobile but I did it.

Last edited:
Disagree with Decidueye. Decidueye's power comes from being able to trap threats with Spirit Shackle and set up on them. Decidueye's resistance to Grass and neutrality to Poison allows it to work as a decent check to Mega Venusaur, especially against M-Venu stall. In this case, the stall team doesn't have traditional hard counters like M-Aggron, so Decidueye's puts in more work against this team. It can beat the VenuAloBliss core via Spirit Shackle trapping (against Venu and Alo, of course). Stay at B-.

Also, although untested, I think Pory2 should stay on the viability rankings. First, P2 is not used on stall simply because it doesn't offer unique utility that other common members of stall offer. It's most prized for being an overall great effective tank with Download or Trace. Hell, Trace allows it to check things like Volcanion (Water Absorb). Its offensive coverage, decent SpAtk, and high bulk allows it to be an interestingly good mix of a defensive / offensive pivot for Bulky Offense that can reliably obstruct offense, especially some common threats like Mega Sharpedo, Hydreigon, non-Knock Off Mamoswine, and non-CM Latias. Sure, the meta is choked with Knock Off users and Fighting-types that screw P2 over, but in exchange, P2 stops the things it's supposed to stop very well. Stay at C.

Also, adding an official nomination to my previous post, Registeel for C.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I would honestly really hesitate to put Amoonguss in even A- atm as a lot of people have suggested, and certainly not in A. With Venusaur dominating a lot of people’s current mindset towards building, virtually every single team is looking to employ offensive pokemon that break Venusaur, and if it breaks Venu it certainly breaks Amoonguss meaning it’s certainly not something that’s unprepared for or catching people unaware. The same goes the other way in that of a lot of the pokemon shut down by Venusaur, a fair few of them are responded to with Amoonguss and as a result of Venu being so overbearing, these pokemon simply are not seeing much use. Venu gets away with this because the pile of stuff it eats up is so massive and it has the natural bulk and tools to be an offensive threat while outside of its spore, Amoonguss can be extremely do nothing in a lot of matchups currently seen in this tier. That kinda brings me into the final point that if Venu sees such high usage, that is an absolute hard counter in every sense of the word to Amoonguss that’s appearing on a lot of teams, even rendering its Spore obsolete while giving one of the best pokemon in the tier free turns with which to become a nuisance. I don’t need to elaborate on how they compete for team slots either with the same typing etc. although the lack of mega slot and regen are perhaps the only things amoong has going for it. With all this considered Amoonguss is definitely not A rank and for me it’s probably not A- either, because it’s simply not a very good meta pick right now. Most of the other general consensus regarding new drops I agree with so I won’t add much that’s already been said.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
A lot of good posts have been made so far. I agree with most of the placements with the new drops. Venu is a clear S tank and is warping the tier around it already. Mamo is doing Mamo things and Amoonguss is underwhelming without Loom/Azu and being under Venusaur’s shadow.

I’d like to offer a new nomination, Kommo-o to A. It’s hands down the best offensive Mega Venusaur check in the tier with Bulletproof and a Stealth Rock resistance. Sylveon and Mega Altaria, some of its best checks, took a massive hit in viability with the drops, while the Fairy-types that are still good are easier for it to muscle past (Togekiss, Prim, and Klefki). The mixed set has phenomenal matchup against stall builds, and its great bulk and access to speed boosting moves give it good matchup against offense as well. This Pokemon has been underrated for a long time now, but with Mega Venusaur in the tier I think we will see how potent it can be.

Other stuff I’d like to address is boosting Lucario to B and keeping Mega Houndoom B+. Gliscor leaving is probably more important for Lucario than Cobalin since it was outsped and OHKOd, but Lucario also offensively checks Mamo and can power through Mega Venusaur with its Steel-type STAB. Mega Houndoom is a more preemptive thing since some uncultured users in discord (who will not be named but rhyme with Me Homer) think it’s bad. Mega Houndoom is the only Pokemon that checks both Scizor and Latias. It also has a lot of cool benefits like bodying Klefki, which got better with Mamo dropping, and breaking through Blissey with Nasty Plot + Taunt/Sub. It also benefits from the fall of Mega Altaria (seriously its pathetic how bad it got).

800.png
to B+
Necrozma has just been getting better and better, the meta has been shifting in it's favor for several reasons I'll note. But also, its sets in general also benefit from the crazy viability of one Mega Venusaur. Photon Geyser's ability to blow Mega Venusaur away is greatly appreciated in a meta like this. The leave of specially defensive Gliscor has benefitted the offensive rocker set, as it's no longer there to be a defogger that can eat repeated Photon Geysers. And a mon that can scare Mega Venu off while setting rocks on it's side is always a win in my book. And the specs set especially being able to blast Pursuit Trappers like Scizor (Heat wave) Muk (Earth power) and Krook (Signal beam) makes it an even more potent answer to the Venu + Trapper combos running amok since none of them can recklessly hard in and trap. This isn't to say SD isn't bad either. With Mega Venusaur stall rising up, stallbreakers that can blow Venu away are greatly appreciated, and very few can do so like SD Necrozma can. SD Necrozma also benefits from the clearly decreased viability of Slowbro-Mega, one of the few checks on stall builds. While Necrozma lacks the absurd durability and longevity Lati has to repeatedly come in on Mega Venu and heal up while threatening psychic STAB, Necrozma makes up for it by better taking advantage of turns Venu is forced out by it's Photon Geyser, setting up a stall smashing SD, hazards, or just blowing up one of it's teammates with nutty coverage options. Of course, Necrozma is held back by it's usual faults, gross amounts of 4MSS, an admittedly lower special defense stat leaving it open to being obliterated by strong special attackers like Pidgeot-Mega and Hydreigon. Being unable to hit floating dragons without signal beam or X-scissor respectively depending on set is also rough, especially when it wants to squeeze its semi-reliable recovery (It lacks fully reliable recovery, another issue) in moonlight or morning sun onto it's non-choiced sets. And while it fares against Pursuit trappers better than Lati on account of Prism armor and coverage options for all the common trappers, it's by no means a complete match for them and can still lose to proper play. It also can't switch in on Mega Venusaur as well as bulkier Psychics, as previously mentioned. However, in light of all this, Necrozma still sets itself apart as a Mega Venusaur answer on account of how it threatens to wipe Venu off the map, and uses the turns a fleeing Venu gives it to put serious dents in the opposing team. Necrozma is a very flexible threat with a few niches that can fit on to many offensive and even some balanced teams due to it's versatility and wreak havoc, and is worthy of the B+ ranking.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UP TO C+ OR B- preferably B- hahahhaha
Araquanid @ Wave Incense / Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge / Toxic / Mirror Coat / Leech Life / Whatever tf u want
- Magic Coat

Hi, Araquanid is a broken mon, bet. Adaam can attest to how good this mon is rn. Serp leaving the tier made webs in general much better as a playstyle, Mega Diancie recently being banned also helps and hurts this mon a bit. Mega Diancie was really fuckin good on webs teams from my experience, however it also made setting webs super annoying for Araq, and it pretty much forced it to run Focus Sash > Splash Plate. However Mega Diancie is gone now, and on another note we received Mamoswine. Mamoswine is a blessing, fr we should all be grateful that this mon exists, it's literally so splashable and can be plopped onto teams so fuckin easily, especially offensive ones. Mamoswine is a really really good rocker on webs, Mamo + Araq is prolly the move if you're planning on building webs anytime soon. Fuck all of that tho, let's get to why this mon is so fuckin good... Araquanid is the best web setter in the tier to me, period. It does an absurd amount of damage, and I'm not kidding... ABSURD amount of damage with Liquidation... and because of that + it's decent bulk, it is much more than just a suicide lead web setter. This mon can work as an amazing wallbreaker throughout the match and has enough bulk and good enough of a defensive typing to be saved throughout the match and utilized to set webs after they're defogged, and to even abuse the webs itself because of it's hard hitting STAB and trash speed tier. Mamo coming to this tier helped this playstyle so much omfl, Araquanid is a legit mamo switch in, it resists both stabs, which is pretty hard to come by these days. With Serp leaving, that's just one less threat to worry about for this playstyle, ngl Serp made webs extremely difficult to run and make work, prio spam was pretty much necessary on every webs team w/ Mamo + Scizor n shit... but then Mamo left, making webs pretty difficult to make work in general (trust me, I tried millions of times... and that's not an exaggeration, ask Sage). Looking at the vr rn, this mon is better than literally everything in C and C+, not joking. This mon has a way bigger and better niche than Mandibuzz, Mabsol, Seismitoad, Tornadus, Roserade, Entei, and yes... Vileplume ;w;. That's not all, but listing every mon I feel it's better than does nothing, the point is... this mon gets a lot better post shifts... oh and it hurts like dicks, here's proof:

252+ Atk Splash Plate Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 126-148 (33.8 - 39.7%) -- 27.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Splash Plate Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Tentacruel: 140-166 (38.5 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Splash Plate Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 188-224 (46.8 - 55.8%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Splash Plate Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 360-424 (85.7 - 100.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Splash Plate Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 408-480 (115.2 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
^ yes ik glisc isn't in the tier anymore, I'm just trying to prove a point that the mon does a shit ton of damage lmfao.

Oh, and another cool thing about this mon is that it can straight up beat bulky waters like Alo most of the time w/ Magic Coating a Toxic their way, it's pretty cool. Anyways, this mon is busted don't sleep... also here's a little webs dump to show y'all I've used this mon extensively LOL (warning, most of this shit is outdated and/or trash.):
Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 124 Atk / 180 SpA / 204 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Sucker Punch

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Agility

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer

-------

YOUR GLOCK (Araquanid) @ Wave Incense
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

GOT A (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

STICK, (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

LOL (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

MINE (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

TOO (Serperior) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

-----

Araquanid @ Wave Incense
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 Atk / 180 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Earthquake

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

----

Araquanid @ Wave Incense
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis

----

Araquanid @ Wave Incense
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

Serperior @ Rose Incense
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Low Kick

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

----

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Energy Ball

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Serperior @ Rose Incense
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

----

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang
- Crunch

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

----

Araquanid @ Wave Incense
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

Goodra @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish

Tornadus
Ability: Prankster
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Agility

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Earthquake

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

----

Araquanid @ Wave Incense
EVs: 24 HP / 232 Atk / 20 Def / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

<3_<3 (Honchkrow) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Krookodile @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Snatch

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

---- I MADE THIS NEXT ONE IN 5 MILLISECONDS FOR VIABILITY TOUR DON'T JUDGE ME

Araquanid @ Wave Incense
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Magic Coat

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Taunt

Scizor @ Safety Goggles
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off

Starmie @ Psychium Z
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Gravity

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Diancie @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ranking Update
Thanks for all the great discussion we've seen this past week! A few announcements before I show you guys the changes, though: first is that Amane Misa has officially been added to the ranking council, so be sure to congratulate her! :D Second is that since this most recent voting slate was put out before a few of these recent posts, a few nominations will have to be saved for the next update's slate, which will come out a few days before the next update in two weeks. The nominations left out include Kommo-o, Lucario, Necrozma, and Araquanid rising, so feel free to continue discussing those potential changes! With all of that out of the way, it's now finally time to get to the update. Here's what happened (a LOT of change this time around, I should note):

Rises
Added to S
Added to A
Added to A-
A- -> A
B+ -> A-
B+ -> A-
B- -> B
B- -> B
C+ -> B-
C- -> C

Drops
A+ -> A
A- -> B+
B+ -> B
B -> B-
B -> B-
B -> B-
B- -> C+
B- -> C+
B- -> C+
C+ -> C
C+ -> C
C -> C-
C -> UR
C- -> UR
Mega Venusaur is already among the tier’s most defining and centralizing forces, which warrants placement in S right from the get-go. Its typing, ability, and bulk allow it to pivot into and wall significant portions of the tier, punishing teams that rely on Fire-type Choice Scarfers like Infernape and Chandelure as their Grass-type checks. Its offensive capabilities are also quite troublesome for the tier to deal with, especially thanks to its access to adequate coverage options in Earthquake and Hidden Power Fire in addition to its powerful STABs. Overall, Venusaur’s typing, ability, expansive movepool, and great combined offensive and defensive utility have allowed it to already warp the metagame around it, maintain a lot of customizability, and noticeably influence several trends, which is reflective of its placement at the top of the ranks.

Mamoswine is being put in A due to its fantastic offensive presence despite below-average defensive qualities. Its typing is easily one of the hardest to reliably switch into in the entire tier, while access to STAB priority and utility options like Knock Off and Stealth Rock add onto what it can provide to the teams it’s fitted on. Influencing the recently increased viability of hyper offensive play styles is also testament to its influence over the metagame. The main reason Mamoswine is being kept out of A+ for now is due to its near lack of defensive utility whatsoever. Its typing is extremely punishable due to its several weaknesses to common types, which is further compounded by its paltry Speed and the presence of Scizor. A great offensive threat and one of the hardest to defensively combat in the entire metagame, but kept in check by its lack of useful defensive traits.

While it definitely suffers a bit from Mega Venusaur’s influence, Amoonguss is still a fine defensive pivot with a job both relevant enough and done well enough to warrant placement lower in the A ranks. Regenerator allows it to more reliably pivot into and scout out choiced moves from Pokemon like Primarina and Terrakion than Mega Venusaur, while Spore and less of a need to run a slot for recovery provide it with a good amount of utility and distinguishable traits. It’s a comfortable fit on balance and some bulky offense builds, though due to its lack of appreciation for Mega Venusaur’s presence and susceptibility to the tier’s rising Flying- and Psychic-types, A- is as high as it’s going to be for now.

The recent departures of Gliscor and Breloom have provided Terrakion’s wallbreaking sets with a lot more breathing room, giving it a much larger place in the metagame than really ever before. It’s still held back by its partially lacking defensive utility and Scizor’s presence, though currently standing as one of the most devastating wallbreakers in the tier while fitting well onto a lot of currently viable play styles has provided it with the opportunity to finally prove itself as one of the tier’s most overtly threatening offensive presences. It has a fair amount of versatility between some of its better sets as well, which further increases its current influence and worth.

Crobat’s rise is representative of the current strength of a lot of Flying-types right now due to Mega Venusaur’s dominance. Its typing is particularly useful for taking Venusaur on, however, due to taking minimal damage from really any STAB or coverage option thrown at it. Its Speed tier also has some increased use given that Infernape is beginning to run more sets outside of Choice Scarf and sweepers like Latias and SD Terrakion are as good as ever. Right now it’s just a really strong pick with lots of overall utility, which is especially evidenced by its surge in usage on some stall archetypes as well, and this justifies cracking the A ranks.

There has been controversy in the past regarding Moltres’s placement, though right now it is another really strong Flying-type that is useful enough to justify residing in A-. Pressuring both Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss is a great current trait that it has going for it, while defensive sets are more capable of taking on Mamoswine than the vast majority of the overall metagame. Both its offensive and defensive sets very adequately fit into the metagame and have strong matchups against the recent drops, which accumulates enough for a rise to make perfect sense.

Bronzong was a little bit better in the Mega Diancie-dominated metagame, though even now it still has enough going for it to reasonably sit in B. Reliably switching into non-Knock Off Mamoswine, Mega Venusaur, most Flying-types, and the tier’s several defensive Ground-types gives it plenty of opportunities to set Stealth Rock while chipping foes quite nicely with either Psywave or Toxic. Mega Aerodactyl and Latias are also only getting better in the current metagame, which further offsets Bronzong’s vulnerability to Scizor and most Pursuit trappers to rationalize a higher rank.

Rotom-H has been an up-and-coming threat for a good while, though now the arguments in favor of a rise to B are stronger than ever. Checking Scizor reliably will always be a massively useful tool, though it has an easier time breaking past Mega Venusaur than its main competitor in Rotom-C, matches up nicely against currently popular Flying-types, and acts as one of the more reliable offensive switch-ins to Mamoswine that the tier has to offer. Meta trends are only continuing to favor the heat, which has increased its presence in the tier and has made B a more than fair placement for itself.

It may seem odd rising Florges in a metagame dominated by Mega Venusaur, though it currently provides to the teams it’s fitted on enough to justify rising back into the B ranks after spending a long time below them. It reliably checks really everything that Sylveon can stand up to, though its access to one-turn recovery gives it more room for utility/coverage options like Defog, Hidden Power Fire, and even Calm Mind, making it a fairly customizable defensive option. While still outperformed due to worse mixed bulk and offensive presence, its easier means of compressing roles in a metagame that really favors role compression justify rising closer to its competition.

Registeel was being a bit undersold in C-, given that despite only fitting on stall, it can provide the archetype with a lot of useful traits. Its pure Steel-typing is fantastic defensively, giving it good synergy with archetype staples like Blissey, Quagsire, and Alomomola. Its access to Stealth Rock can also allow Blissey to forgo the move for extra utility, while Seismic Toss and Toxic alongside Registeel’s bulk provide it with an effective way of wearing down the Pokemon it checks. Its general lack of splashability or versatility keep it from rising above C, though its frequent usage on stall is testament enough to its use to the playstyle to warrant being a bit higher than before.
Mega Altaria struggles pretty significantly to sweep or wallbreak when Mega Venusaur receives such high usage. It’s also hurt to varying extents by the recent reintroductions of both Mamoswine and Amoonguss. While still good, its offensive sets have significantly declined in effectiveness, which decreases both how centralizing and influential to teambuilding it is enough to justify dropping off from the top of the A ranks.

This may be a bit of a controversial change, though Alolan Muk doesn’t have a lot of appreciation for the popularity of several prevalent threats. It struggles to work around its weaknesses to either rising or already popular Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Krookodile, and Terrakion, while it also struggles to act as effectively as a special wall given that specially offensive Pokemon capable of powering through it, like Moltres and Nasty Plot Infernape, are currently picking up some steam. It still very effectively gets the job done as a Pursuit trapper, though the metagame has continued adapting to it and it is more easily punished than in weeks past, making dropping another subrank fair for now.

Mega Houndoom is barely used in either ladder or tournament play, which keeps it from being nearly as relevant or proven as the rest of B+. While it appreciates the increased viability of Spikes offense, it doesn’t match up very well against the increasingly viable stall and balanced builds, which another Fire-type Nasty Plot user in Infernape can more adequately combat, allowing it to more easily cover its bases as both a sweeper and wallbreaker. Overall, Mega Houndoom just isn’t mainstream enough for a B+ ranking and its stiff competition is beginning to edge it out more than before.

Mega Blastoise’s decline in viability largely comes from the recent drop of Mega Venusaur, which it both competes with for a Mega slot and struggles to do anything of value to. It also lacks appreciation for Mega Manectric’s slight uptick in usage and viability and, to a smaller extent, the resurgence in Spikes offense, which is due to its susceptibility to being easily worn down. It can still put in work, but it isn’t as strong a pick in the metagame as its former B ranking would suggest.

Mantine is just kind of an awkward fit on most teams right now, which is why dropping is fair. It acts as a serviceable check to the likes of Infernape, Cobalion, and Scizor. However, its hazard weakness can complicate reliably defogging, it struggles on account of how passive it can be, and it’s a much more situational Fire- and Flying-type check than before given that offensive Moltres, Rotom-H, and Terrakion are all more popular than ever and can power through it if healthy. It’s just in an odd spot right now, which in tandem with its low usage, justifies its drop.

Tsareena was once among the tier’s rising stars, though with both Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss in the tier it struggles significantly to wallbreak as effectively. Its strong matchup against bulky Water- and Ground-types and nice overall utility is still enough to keep it afloat in the bottom of the B ranks, though the fact that it has become much easier to defensively combat is grounds for a drop from a rank it unfortunately just rose to.

Cofagrigus is dropping a rank due to its lacking usage keeping it from having much proven worth in the current metagame. It’s capable of entirely sweeping through unprepared offensive teams, though it also requires two whole turns for setup if it wants Trick Room down, is susceptible to being worn down, and doesn’t appreciate stall’s current viability due to Blissey being a staple of the archetype. It’s a very potent threat, though until its use is proven C+ is an appropriate current rank.

Decidueye and Mega Sceptile both struggle enough as Grass-types for drops from B- to be fair at this stage. Decidueye struggles to really accomplish much when so much of the offensive metagame pressures it so heavily. It also is one of the less splashable stallbreakers available, making for a rather awkward fit and as a result making other options a lot more preferable. Mega Sceptile indeed appreciates Mega Manectric’s decreased usage of Hidden Power Ice as coverage, though it still matches up poorly against enough of the metagame for C+ to be fair for now. All of the recent drops pressure it pretty heavily, and while Serperior’s departure decreased its competition, a niche as Grass-type cleaner isn’t nearly as applicable in the current metagame as a few weeks ago for this to hold a very significant amount of weight.

Mega Absol really just isn’t in a good spot right now, and hasn’t been for a long time. Its unique offensive niche is too offset by the viability of several Fighting-types that can tank a hit and KO, its utter lack of defensive utility, and the increased usage of faster Pokemon that heavily pressure it, like Crobat and Choice Scarf Krookodile. It also suffers from a high amount of opportunity cost, especially considering that its four-moveslot syndrome can lead to a rather underwhelming damage output against a lot of popular Pokemon. It’s just too overwhelmed right now for C+ to be warranted any longer.

Seismitoad’s niche was pretty specific (its offensive set was unique from Swampert and co in that it lured in and took on a lot of defensive Ground-type checks), and a lot of that was lost upon Breloom’s departure. In addition to this, it lacks appreciation for Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss’s reintroductions and is still struggling to distinguish itself from its main competitors. It just isn’t too strong a pick right now, and could honestly drop further in the future.

Porygon2 has severely lacking usage, which generally has prevented it from proving that any of its potential niches in the metagame are particularly applicable. It also doesn’t love Terrakion’s surge in usage in addition to the consistent use of Pokemon like Infernape, Krookodile, and Cobalion. However, keeping it afloat at the bottom of the ranks is the fact that it can still make for a decent defensive pivot. Its mixed bulk allows it to take on Mega Aerodactyl, Choice Scarf variants of Hydreigon and Latias, and a lot of other fairly relevant threats, which despite not being a particularly explored quality, is enough to keep it from being wiped off the map entirely.

Vileplume and Stoutland were both unranked on account of the fact that neither has a niche worthy enough of frequent use in the metagame. Vileplume’s only niche over either Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss is Strength Sap, which due to its overwhelming competition simply isn’t enough to justify its use. Stoutland suffers from a lack of splashability due to its reliance on Hippowdon as a teammate, while the current popularity of several Ghost-, Steel-, and Rock-types keeps it from doing its job as reliably as earlier on in the metagame.
Cobalion A -> A+
Cobalion enjoys that Gliscor is no longer in the tier, though Mega Venusaur hinders it just as greatly as Gliscor did, which for now justifies staying in A. Since Steelium Z is about as much of a necessity as before Gliscor left, Cobalion still struggles to sweep on account of picking its checks depending on its Z-Move selection. While certainly one of the better Pokemon in A, that’s as high as it can reasonably sit for now.

Krookodile A -> A+
Krookodile is still held back just enough to reasonably stay below A+ for now. Mega Venusaur’s drop both helped and hurt it in that while it can reliably Pursuit trap a lot of Venusaur’s more prevalent checks, it can’t do a lot of damage to Venusaur itself and can often end up providing one of the tier’s most threatening forces with free turns. The increased usage of several Fighting- and Flying-types in addition to Mamoswine now providing it with some healthy competition bolsters the argument to, for now, keep Krookodile at a comfortable spot in A.

Infernape A -> A-
Infernape’s several different sets have all been proving their effectiveness in recent weeks and circumventing a lot of the notable weaknesses its Choice Scarf set suffered, allowing it to show that it often has ways of working around metagame trends that don’t favor it. The current combined strength of its Choice Scarf, Choice Band, and Nasty Plot sets all allow Infernape to be plenty versatile and splashable enough to warrant consistent usage on teams, as well maintain its rank in A.

Stakataka B+ -> A-
While Breloom is no longer around to easily revenge kill Stakataka, it still has struggles that are present enough for staying in B+ to be fair. Infernape’s Choice Band and Nasty Plot sets, which both carry Fighting-type priority, have picked up in usage recently, while Stakataka still struggles to work around its weakness to several of the tier’s popular defensive Pokemon, which include Mega Aggron, the rising Bronzong, and several Ground- and Water-types. It still has just enough working against it for staying out the A ranks to currently be reasonable.

Doublade B -> B-
Doublade has suffered from some mixed responses to recent metagame trends, though the unique traits its typing possesses are currently valuable enough to the teams it’s fitted on for B to be a fair ranking. Pivoting into presences like Latias, Scizor, and Mega Aerodactyl allows it to find plentiful setup opportunities while the increased viability of hyper offensive archetypes allows it to more easily match up against the general metagame.

Mienshao C -> C+
Mienshao was so close to finally having a meta trend favor it, though with Gliscor’s departure came Mega Venusaur’s introduction, which really just kept things the way they were before. Providing arguably the tier’s most defining force with free turns in addition to still facing severe competition from Infernape in its role accumulate to, for now, keep it from rising back to C+.
I wasn't able to cover absolutely every nomination that didn't end up going through, so if you're curious about anything that wasn't addressed let me know on my wall and I'll be sure to explain why something didn't happen. With that out of the way, it's time to get to this week's discussion slate. Enjoy!

Discussion Points
Togekiss A+ -> A
Togekiss currently enjoys the unique niche of taking on Mega Venusaur as a Fairy-type, though other meta trends may be working against it enough for a drop to A to be justified. It doesn’t appreciate the fact that the metagame is trending towards more offensively inclined builds, while the increased viability of Pokemon like Terrakion, Mega Manectric, and Rotom-H also disadvantages it. It still does pivot reliably into other popular Pokemon, including Hydreigon, Krookodile, and Kommo-o, which makes this discussion point a bit of a tricky one.

Mega Manectric A -> A+
Mega Manectric has a lot more freedom to run different coverage options in its fourth slot with Gliscor gone, which has notably allowed it to circumvent the adaptations the metagame made to it that dropped it below A+ months ago. Given that Hidden Power Grass now has much less opportunity cost, Mega Manectric can punish switch-ins like Rhyperior and Swampert much more easily than before, while it also enjoys the metagame favoring its favorite archetype in offense much more than even a few weeks ago. Whether or not its slight increase in flexibility is enough to raise it back to A+ despite some fairly reliable offensive counterplay is certainly worth discussing in depth.

Chandelure A- -> B+
Moltres and Infernape both provide Chandelure with a healthy amount of competition as specially offensive Fire-types right now, which is grounds for a potential drop. Moltres is capable of more easily threatening the tier’s several Ground-types while also matching up well against Mega Venusaur, which can actually punish Chandelure’s Choice Scarf set thanks to Thick Fat, while Infernape handles two of the more common methods of speed control in Choice Scarfed Krookodile and Hydreigon with Vacuum Wave while more reliably stallbreaking due to its lack of a rocks or Pursuit weakness. Chandelure still boasts an extreme amount of power and a surprising amount of versatility, though it can no longer hang its hat on being one of the tier’s more reliable methods of revenge killing Serperior, which further bolsters the arguments for a drop.

Mega Slowbro A- -> B+
Mega Slowbro’s utter lack of usage exemplifies how difficult it can really be to fit on teams and utilize to its full potential. While its bulky CM sets are customizable, potent, and extremely hard to break past once set up, it just doesn’t find a lot of opportunities to boost to threatening levels due to its poor Speed tier and fairly exploitable typing despite the good bulk. It also suffers from Venusuar’s presence due to both being heavily pressured by it and suffering increased opportunity cost as a mega in addition to disliking the increase in usage/viability of Pokemon like Nasty Plot Infernape and Mega Manectric. Right now, it’s just very unexplored and can’t capitalize on any particular metagame trend, which makes whether it’s as viable as the rest of A- worth bringing more attention to.

Klefki B+ -> A-
Spikes offense has seen an influx in usage and viability due to Mamoswine’s reintroduction, which makes the playstyle’s lynchpin in Klefki a worthy candidate of a rise. In a metagame trending towards offense, Prankster Thunder Wave is a great tool, while its typing will always be beneficial for checking Dragon-types and Pokemon like Nihilego and Kyurem. I admittedly forgot to include this in the recent voting slate, so by all means discuss what you think should happen with Klefki these next couple weeks, the arguments for rising are stronger than they’ve been for a good while.

Rotom-C B+ -> B
Rotom-C is hard walled by Mega Venusaur unless it opts to run a rather situational lure set in Z-Dream Eater. It also hasn’t responded well to the recent introductions of Amoonguss and, to a lesser extent, Mamoswine, while as an Electric-type it struggles to reliably check any of the currently popular Flying-types of the tier at all. It’s just in a bit of an awkward spot right now, and its typing provides it with less notable advantages over Rotom-H than ever before, bringing a drop into question.

Salazzle B- -> C+
Salazzle was actually voted to drop from B- by the ranking council in a small majority, though I think that since this change could bring about some controversy, it’s worth making a discussion point for the time being. While it retains its fair matchups against balance, it doesn’t love the slight resurgence in offense we’ve seen while also struggling to combat a few rising threats, such as Choice Scarf Krookodile and Terrakion. Whether its cons outweigh its most significant current pros enough for a drop is something I think is worth addressing with the rest of the community before making a final decision.

Metagross C+ -> B-
In including Psychic STAB on more of its sets, Metagross has recently proven to be a very capable Mega Venusaur check, which provides it with a decent argument for a rise. Also working in its favor is its versatility, which can be seen in the recent success of a few different sets, such as mixed lure and Autotomize. It still struggles from an exploitable typing, a lack of a boosting move, and the immense competition Scizor provides it with, though the tools it has to distinguish itself could very well be enough to warrant finding a place in the B ranks at this stage in the metagame.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Decidueye to C+
So I’ve kept defending this mon’s placement and now I’ve lost. Bulky grasses cuck it, Hydreigon invalidates it, and it just sucks. Drop it.
I disagree with this a lot, it's neutral to Sludge Bomb which is very very nice for combatting the bulky grasses. It actually beats both of the bulky grasses you're thinking of unless Amoonguss has Foul Play (which it normally doesn't). Also, Hydreigon definitely doesn't "invalidate" it... Hydreigon checks Chandelure just as well as it checks Decid, if not better. But I still see Chandelure pretty high up there on the vr owo.

+2 252 Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 544-642 (125.9 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 319-376 (87.6 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
also... if you plan on bringing up Muk, don't bother.
+2 252 Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 324-382 (92.3 - 108.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Oof Viv and the gay baby got me. I was honestly just tired at that point and I wanted to get my noms out of the way. Anyway, I’m gonna go talk about the discussion point that I’m most surprised at.
Chandelure to B+=Strongly Disagree

Why is Chandelure getting nommed for a drop? Chandy has actually gotten better in this meta. Sub CM is still objectively it’s best set but it has only gotten better with the shifts. Chandy finds a lot of easy opportunities in this meta to set up subs and boost its already busted SpA. It is also able to break Mega Venu with this set which just is a representation of its raw power. But Chandy sets sub up on Non EQ Mega Venu, Coba, Zong, Heattom, and almost anything on Stall that isn’t a Quag or Alomomola to an extent. Seriously, don’t drop Chandy at all.

I’m also seconding Adaam’s nom on Kommo-o. I’m also surprised that Kommo-o wasn’t brought up as a discussion point. It is arguably one of the best Mega Venu checks and it easily finds opportunities to set up with Fairy usage on a decline. Put that monster in A-.

B562DC6B-4095-4470-87EC-CAB465D562BE.jpeg

E76499DD-387F-4F39-AEB0-FE885464D697.gif

Amoonguss to B+

Since M-Venu has gotten here, this poor mushroom has become a lost memory. M-Venu has the same bulk if not better, more speed and can run other sets. M-Venu is also better on stall than Amoonguss. Only thing that Amoonguss has over M-Venu is Spore, the Regenerator ability and the fact that it doesn’t waste a mega slot. But I don’t that’s enough to keep it at A- when M-Venu essentially checks everything it checks but better and it has more reliable recovery.

g to the b

Banned deucer.
Amoong isn't as easily worn down and can actually beat opposing mvenus if they're running stuff like curse. Amoongus also has the benefit of being able to reliably take on stuff like primarina as mvenu simply gets psychic'd once and cant come back in as hydro then 2hkoes. Amoongus also is a much better special tank than mvenu as its able to take stray dracos such as from hydrei and can stay in on stuff like nihi w/o the fear of being 2hkoed. It also fares much better vs volturn and HO as ho can usually use pressure to keep mvenu out and it still works on regen cores w alo. Its still a good mon just venu is new so more ppl will use that. Doesn't mean amoong doesn't deserve its a- rank

lmao not this among vs mega venu shit again, I thought I had enough of that back in OU.
can we just agree they're v similar and most competent builders will know the differences and what their team needs specifically.
TLDR mega venu has much more offensive potential, amoong is the better defensive pivot the end

I think Metagross is severely underrated by this thread.
S Rank

A+ Rank

A Rank

This is S-A rank, obviously.

These are the mons for which Metagross doesn't have a common move to KO in 2 or less hits. Almost none of these mons can reliably switch in, either. I will admit, Metagross itself has a hard time switching in on many of these mons, because most of them can carry super effective coverage for Metagross. However, I think that the raw offensive power that Metagross has is powerful enough to raise it above a C+ ranking. So, I think we could move Metagross to B-/B. I'm new at this, so I can't say that it should jump straight to B with complete certainty, but I think it's reasonable to say that it should be at a higher rank than it currently is.

Starmie up to A.
EDIT: Also, tacking on a consideration for Azelf.

Currently, I think Starmie's best set is an AoA set:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Psyshock

Mega Venusaur's rise also improved a lot of Bulky Offense and Balance cores, RhyVenu and Chandy - Venu - Snorlax, which means that these Pokemon can switch between each other to cover weaknesses. Starmie penalizes switching via Analytic and can furthermore break most of the popular balance cores in the tier. The primary benefit it has over Primarina on this is its luxury of being able to switch moves. Primarina may have coverage against Venu, but many times Venu can come in on a Choice-locked Hydro Pump and be safe in. Even if M-Venu switches into Starmie's Hydro Pump, it still can't stay in and has to switch-out, thus triggering Analytic again on the next target. Its speed tier also allows it to threaten a number of Pokemon commonly seen on Offense. A match-up with the best Pursuit Trapper in the tier, Krookodile, is still a 50-50 since Starmie can survive an unboosted Pursuit and HO back with Hydro Pump.

Being able to cover a boatload of threats across the UU metagame and punish both correctly predicted switch-ins and incorrect ones merits an A ranking.

EDIT:
I also want to bring up the topic of Azelf. I think this is pretty unnaturally low for a really good wallbreaker in the tier. Its options offensively allows it to be a number of standard UU defensive cores and balance cores.

Last edited:
Starmie should go to A because it has coverage for everything, Analytic punishes switches, and its speed tier is fantastic. LO Hydro + Psyshock KO's M-Venu (and everything else) after SR, or it can run Toxic/Scald/RS/Recover to serve as a bulkier check to things like Mamoswine, Infernape, or Terrakion while baiting Suicune or Alomomola into a status condition that will haunt them for the rest of the match. Natural Cure is also a fantastic ability to shrug off errant status moves too. Overall, I think this thing is one of the best no-effort balance breakers in the tier if you can predict well and get it into play safely.

691MS.png
From the shadow realm to at least C or C+
Dragalge is a sturdy niche choice for the current meta, using a high special defense mixed with a solid defensive typing to check many threats in the current metagame, the main one being Mega Venusaur, an offensive and defensive titan who otherwise hits most of the meta in it's 3 attacks set while casually walling most of the metagame. However, it can also take hits from mons like Rotom-H and Mega Manectric who are also exceptionally common right now. (Mega Manectric is especially big, as resisting it even with it's new coverage options takes a load off of ground types like Rhyperior and Mamoswine who get put under pressure when trying to check the HP grass Mega Manes. Mane's other non-HP ice options, Signal Beam for Lati/Hydra and toxic for Hippo, are also easily handled by Dragalge.) And Dragalge is far from just a fancy pivot. It packs the immediate power of a nuclear warhead, easily OHKOing many members of the meta or doing well above 50% damage.
252+ SpA Adaptability Dragalge Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 328-386 (90.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 328-386 (90.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
These are just if you weren't sure that it was a Venu check. And here's just some calcs vs mons with special defense you can't normally scoff at:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 180 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 286-340 (81.4 - 96.8%) -- 37.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mantine: 284-336 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 302-356 (84.1 - 99.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
And while it may seem like walling it is as easy as packing a steel to handle its STABS, it has HP fire and Focus Blast coverage, denting many of these would-be checks, some steels can't even take it's dragon stabs well to begin with!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-781194847 Here is a replay vs my good friend Ihiihuio. In this game, Dragalge easily keeps his Venusaur-Mega in line while doing mass amounts of damage every time it ever got to click a move. hell, the fact that it was doing 40 a pop to Empoleon meant that I could have honestly clicked Draco scott-free after it had to stomach the first one.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-781200892 I lose this game vs Juuno, but Dragalge ends up being a massive threat to her, shredding her draco switchins, Umbreon and Doublade, and literally having no switchins when Juuno's Umbreon hits a mere 56, which would normally be more than enough to check say, a Hydra from such a range.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-781207352 In this game vs Martha, Dragalge really picks apart her team, much to her dismay since she was actually an opposition of me nomming this. One good predict on a Krook 50/50 and suddenly Dragalge is tearing her open. Her Empo is allowed to switch in once before the Focus Blast puts it in draco range (Not that it matters since Rotom-H kills it) and everything else downright gets obliterated by draco.

Now that we knock out all the positives, there ARE Negatives to be had here. Hence why I'm not boldly nomming it from unranked to B or something. For one, it lacks recovery. So while it can switch in on Venu 4-5 times in a pixel perfect scenario, it lacks the ability to switch in any more than that, and probably switches in less than that since Rocks and other chip come into play. Its also prone to Krook. Despite me winning that 50/50 in the Replay vs Martha, those 50/50s can turn out nasty if the Krook gets the right pick. It's also prone to most other dragons in the tier, failing to outspeed any of them while easily getting KOed by their moves. It also faces slight competition from these dragons, especially Kommo-O who also boasts a massive resistance to Mega Venusaur, and Hydreigon who dares to be a similar draco spamming special nuke. but Dragalge compensates by actually being a compliment to other dragons like Kommo-O and Hydreigon rather than being a competitor, as it's ability to delete fairies that the other dragons struggle with and lure in is actually a boon to them. This can make for some nice dragon spam teams that aren't even that weak to fairy. It also struggles with the psychic uptick due to Venusaur's dominance, most Psyshocks being able to OHKO it while most Psychics can 2hko or OHKO it through it's massive special defense. Grounds aren't going anywhere either. Mamo can click EITHER of it's stabs and obliterate Dragalge. The aforementioned Krook makes Dragalge's life a nightmare. Also, did I mention that's its really slow? You need to run 132 speed just to hit neutral base 60s like Sylveon and Swampert, limiting the amount of bulk you can have and causing it to heartache vs more offensively pressuring teams with a lot of decent speed mons. And while it's breaking power is impressive, it needs Dragonium Z or Specs to OHKO the ever present Mega Venusaur, meaning that it either commands your Z-slot or forgoes utility moves like toxic spikes.

Despite these flaws however, Dragalge brings so much to this current meta, and deserves to join the C or C+ Rank.

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Most of this relies on Venusaur staying UU (which it totally should by the way), so keep that in mind.

Discussion Points:

A+ -> A: Disagree

Togekiss is able to adapt to pretty much everything the meta throws at it so I don't really think in my mind it would have ever dropped unless Diancie stayed. It appreciates being the only Fairy that can threaten Venusaur offensively, and has sets that really catch rising stuff like Mane and Spikes offense such as its Offensive Scarf set.

A -> A+: Agree

Was nice not having to see this annoying shit as much, now its back and pretty equipped to beat its usual counterplay. Yes hippo is getting better, krook is getting better etc, now that it doesnt need HP Ice it has room for a lot of cool options like Toxic and Signal Beam (this catches Lati Drei Krook Celebi in one slot its pretty cool) that will smack usual checks, and makes it something you have to scout for beyond whether it was running HP Ice or Grass.

A- -> B+: Disagree

Still splashable for how useful defensively its typing is, Ghostium sets have started to make waves and really catch teams where the ghost resist is going to be a Krook (happens a lot because of how well krook pairs with venu), still will be useful in basically all matchups.

A- -> B+: Agree

Still a fine mon but awkward to build and Suicune is generally more consistent vs everything but stall, I do think this receives a little less usage than it should though.

B+ -> A-: Agree

Spikes rock with stuff like Mane getting better, Mamo coming back, and being able to set them up on Venu and force in the hazard removal so you potentially trap it. Defensively has Mag Rise to also function as a great check to opposing Mamoswine, something you always need.

B+ -> B: Agree

Another Volt Blocker that can Ice Shard it makes it want to click Leaf Storm more, Venusaur and Amoonguss walling it eternally unless you're running a gimmicky Z-Dream Eater set, meta changes weren't super kind for mowtom.

C+ -> B-: Agree

Can come in on Venu to rock, I think mixed sets get better just by virtue of people expecting some form of Rocks / Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt on every set now and they won't be as obvious as they could have been in the past. Can run Shuca to make a nice Mamoswine lure.

Other Noms:

Keep Unranked

Switching into Venu isn't enough to warrant using this, its horrendous speed tier lets so many threatening breakers in even when it picks up a kill, every Steel comes in on it pretty reliably except Cobalion which only comes in once, it gets trapped by Krookodile which gets run with Venu a ton. Don't think its worth using this over other breakers like Drei and Kyurem.

C+ -> B-

Reuniclus likes some trends towards these Fat Venu Balance and Bulky Offenses, I've been using a physically Defensive CM set with Life Orb Psyshock and Energy Ball, you can do cool stuff like Recover on Krookodile Pursuits (and even Knock Offs from full if you mispredict), if you get caught switching out it only does half. Obviously is super handy to have vs Stall, pair with something to chip the Steel and you're in business. Pivots into Venusaur relatively cleanly, takes a decent chunk from Sludge Bomb but thanks to Magic Guard doesn't have to worry about Poison or hazards and can recover it off. Common Rockers like Hippo and Pert can be setup bait, overall just some nice trend

A- -> B+

Really just isn't nearly as kind of a meta as it had when it first was UU. The centralization of Venusaur means that most teams will be packing both strong Flying- or Psychic- breakers that can dent it, as well as even lures that attempt to catch Venusaur unfortunately hitting the poor mushroom as well. Still has a nice niche since you can build it with other great Megas like Aerodactyl and Spore is a valuable tool, but Venu's titanic bulk and offensive prowess overshadow it.

Unranked -> C-

Rank this, its funny to have an actual Terrakion counter exist, getting Rocks means its not just a dead slot on a team, can even run Colbur to mitigate Pursuit weakness once without it detrimentally effecting it from walling what it needs to. Shore Up taking advantage of Hippowdon is kind of funny too, as well as Water Compaction actually being useful solely for screwing over Aqua Tail Aerodactyl. Fun mon that has a small niche, let it on the board.

edit: forgot kommo its good as shit rise to A-

Last edited:
Most of this relies on Venusaur staying UU (which it totally should by the way), so keep that in mind.

Discussion Points:

A+ -> A: Disagree

Togekiss is able to adapt to pretty much everything the meta throws at it so I don't really think in my mind it would have ever dropped unless Diancie stayed. It appreciates being the only Fairy that can threaten Venusaur offensively, and has sets that really catch rising stuff like Mane and Spikes offense such as its Offensive Scarf set.

A -> A+: Agree

Was nice not having to see this annoying shit as much, now its back and pretty equipped to beat its usual counterplay. Yes hippo is getting better, krook is getting better etc, now that it doesnt need HP Ice it has room for a lot of cool options like Toxic and Signal Beam (this catches Lati Drei Krook Celebi in one slot its pretty cool) that will smack usual checks, and makes it something you have to scout for beyond whether it was running HP Ice or Grass.

A- -> B+: Disagree

Still splashable for how useful defensively its typing is, Ghostium sets have started to make waves and really catch teams where the ghost resist is going to be a Krook (happens a lot because of how well krook pairs with venu), still will be useful in basically all matchups.

A- -> B+: Agree

Still a fine mon but awkward to build and Suicune is generally more consistent vs everything but stall, I do think this receives a little less usage than it should though.

Spikes rock with stuff like Mane getting better, Mamo coming back, and being able to set them up on Venu and force in the hazard removal so you potentially trap it. Defensively has Mag Rise to also function as a great check to opposing Mamoswine, something you always need.

B+ -> B: Agree

Another Volt Blocker that can Ice Shard it makes it want to click Leaf Storm more, Venusaur and Amoonguss walling it eternally unless you're running a gimmicky Z-Dream Eater set, meta changes weren't super kind for mowtom.

Can come in on Venu to rock, I think mixed sets get better just by virtue of people expecting some form of Rocks / Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt on every set now and they won't be as obvious as they could have been in the past. Can run Shuca to make a nice Mamoswine lure.

Other Noms:

Keep Unranked

Switching into Venu isn't enough to warrant using this, its horrendous speed tier lets so many threatening breakers in even when it picks up a kill, every Steel comes in on it pretty reliably except Cobalion which only comes in once, it gets trapped by Krookodile which gets run with Venu a ton. Don't think its worth using this over other breakers like Drei and Kyurem.

C+ -> B-

Reuniclus likes some trends towards these Fat Venu Balance and Bulky Offenses, I've been using a physically Defensive CM set with Life Orb Psyshock and Energy Ball, you can do cool stuff like Recover on Krookodile Pursuits (and even Knock Offs from full if you mispredict), if you get caught switching out it only does half. Obviously is super handy to have vs Stall, pair with something to chip the Steel and you're in business. Pivots into Venusaur relatively cleanly, takes a decent chunk from Sludge Bomb but thanks to Magic Guard doesn't have to worry about Poison or hazards and can recover it off. Common Rockers like Hippo and Pert can be setup bait, overall just some nice trend

A- -> B+

Really just isn't nearly as kind of a meta as it had when it first was UU. The centralization of Venusaur means that most teams will be packing both strong Flying- or Psychic- breakers that can dent it, as well as even lures that attempt to catch Venusaur unfortunately hitting the poor mushroom as well. Still has a nice niche since you can build it with other great Megas like Aerodactyl and Spore is a valuable tool, but Venu's titanic bulk and offensive prowess overshadow it.

Unranked -> C-

Rank this, its funny to have an actual Terrakion counter exist, getting Rocks means its not just a dead slot on a team, can even run Colbur to mitigate Pursuit weakness once without it detrimentally effecting it from walling what it needs to. Shore Up taking advantage of Hippowdon is kind of funny too, as well as Water Compaction actually being useful solely for screwing over Aqua Tail Aerodactyl. Fun mon that has a small niche, let it on the board.

edit: forgot kommo its good as shit rise to A-
Just a little minor nitpick on the steel comment vs Dragalge
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stakataka: 696-820 (213.4 - 251.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 268-316 (72 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 360-428 (104.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 217-256 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 220-259 (64.1 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 192-226 (52.7 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
The only steels that switch in with any semblance of consistency are Klefki and Brongzong, who each can only switch in once or twice respectively.
I agree with your other points, and even made them myself in my post. But I do think Dragalge has a niche despite this.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Kommo and Crobat both need to rise a rank. I was looking through the builder for risk free switchins to the most common Venu set (3 special attacks + synth) and these 2 are by far the most viable and splashable options, everything else fears Sludge Bomb poisons, necessitates rocks be off, get Pursuit trapped or just take too much from one of its moves to be a decent switch unless they’re Blissey, in which case isn’t a great fit for a lot of squads. These 2 mons comfortably handle the biggest current threat in the metagame while each bringing their own assets to a team, U-Turn Crobat plus Fighting or Ground breakers has been great forever or the Super Fang set can be nice for boosting your matchup vs fatter teams, while Kommo can do virtually anything you want it to but the set I’ve most liked is SD SR with a Drag Z as Fairies are at a pretty low point in the metagame and this set scares the shit out of most other stuff while giving you a rocks setter not a lot removes on.

I think kommo would actually be better than the majority of A- but in particular Mega Slowbro has no place being there, when was the last time anyone actually used this to good effect outside of stall builds on which it’s by no means a staple, competing with the like of Altaria / Aero / Aggron for the mega slot. Move this down. Altaria and Primarina should also drop down a rank I think, Altaria for sure anyway. Everything it wants to do is shut down by Venu (except some lord who used DD Fly against me yesterday) and it’s generally really hard to justify using this on a team atm. Primarina is kind of in the same boat but it doesn’t take the mega slot and honestly, if you don’t run Venu you can find some teams really struggle to break the defensive set, even if it is prone to giving up some momentum. Catching Venu with Psychic on offensive sets is huge too, because it really puts it in a tough spot and if they don’t get the Recover / Switch mindgame right, they either lose their Venu or its in a position where it’s going to need a sac or some great play to get back into usable condition.

Tl;dr

Raise Kommo and Bat, drop Slowbro and Alt, maybe drop Prim

Last edited:
I would be cautious with the proposals for drops/rises until M-Venu suspect test is over since as far as I can see, majority of them that people are suggesting are based around how are they affected by M-Venu in the tier and there's a high possibilty that we wont be seeing it here for much longer.

Mega Manectric A -> A+ Disagree
To start off, I love using Mega Man. I probably use it on like 70% of the UU teams I build. However, it has a lot going against it. Venu is probably the best mon in UU , and Mega Man cannot do a single thing to Venu once it mega evolves. Also just looking at the things solidly in A+ (Hydriegon and Aero) it is clear they are a step below those two. Mega Aero is fast and hard to switch in on and Hydriegon might be the most versatile mon in UU.
Togekiss A+ -> A Abstain
Chandelure A- -> B+ Disagree
Chandelure is still about the same in terms of how good it was before the drop imo. It still hits like a truck and also what can Venu actually do to it? maybe leech, but then it can sub cm. Also sub cm is a good way to kind of nullify its pursuit weakness. I feel it should stay where it is at.
Mega Slowbro A- -> B+ Agree
(
Read Sage's post #468)
Annoying mon to deal with. Can set up spikes, t wave support and just an overall great utility mon.
B+ -> B: Abstain
I think this mon is really overlooked. It can deal with a lot of big threats in the game, and I think AV should be an option that people consider. Before the drops, i though this thing should be RU/RUBL, but I definetly think it has a place in the tier with gliscor leaving and Venu coming in
Salazzle B- -> C+ Disagree
If we look at the trends in the game, this thing really favors the trends in the game. With Balance becoming more popular, this thing really just can do a lot against balance. It outspeeds a lot threats and has a great offensive typing. Also, being able to poison steel and poison types is a cool niche for this mon.
Edit:
If you were actually considering this, disregard it at this point. This was assuming Venu would stay in UU and I was really convinced it would at the time of posting it

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion

Unranked -> C-

Agreed. Palossand provides really nice defensive role compression, checking luc/man/cob all in one slot and mainly, as mentioned, a terrakion counter. Not to mention if you run sball you don't allow Pokemon like Latias to have free switch-ins (I prefer earthpower so it beats what was actually listed) and toxic is a fine slot as well for punishing switch ins like hydreigon and 1 v 1ing M-Aero. I think the ability to cover Terrakion better than Hippo is enough to warrant a rank. It's obviously not better than Hippo, but that's why C- is fair. I've been laddering with a faded love Palo/Bliss/M-Venu +3 core and typically the former is all you need to break down (wall) teams.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
All of these noms will be strictly dependent on whether Mega Venu stays, but gonna drop it anyways.

A --> A-: Feelsbadman, I don't even need to explain this lol.
Stay in A-: Once players realize that Scarf is kinda doodoo and once people stop being scared of switching it into Sludge Bombs because "omfg chip damage", then they'll realize how great Chandy still is in this meta right now (p.s. bulky wisp protect beats Scarf krook).
B+ --> A: I think A- sells Kommo-o short right now. Not only is it one of the best offensive counters to Mega Venu, but also it abuses the shit out of the most common cores around Mega Venu. Easily the biggest rising star out of the bunch here.
B+ --> A-: Pengu is quite possibly Mega Venu's most common defensive partner in this meta. It also doesn't hurt that Defoggers for the most part benefitted from Venu's presence here.

Last edited:
Like everyone else said, some of these noms will be kind of dependent on Mega Venu staying but I’ll show you what I got.

Terrakion to A+
I know that Terrak rose to A in the last slate but I consider that A is too low for it. It is such a versatile and splashable mon for bulky offense and balance builds. Lead Hazard Setter, CB, SD, Rockium, Double Dance, and Choice Scarf are all viable options that Terrak can run. Do I also have to mention how limited it’s defensive counterplay is (thanks faded for seeing the use in Pallo). I sometimes think that Terrak puts an even bigger constraint on teambuilding than Mega Venu. I’m always making a team, and then I’m like, “Oh shit this team gets 6-0ed by Terrak.” A is just underselling to how massive of a threat Terrak is and it should rise.

Toxicroak to B-
Really cool mon atm. Almost always sets up in front of Mega Venu if it’s using its standard set and on its partners that are not named Scarf Krook. Also too many players seem to forget that Toxicroak has Dry Skin which means Suicune and Tenta are both set up fodder for Croak. Also Sucker Punch cheeses Starmie, another mon that’s gotten better in this meta. Croak is a really solid sweeper if played correctly.

Mega Slowbro to B+
Mega Bro is definitely a very threatening mon when played correctly, but this mon has had little to no usage. It’s usually seen on stall and it’s not even a go to pick for it. It’s awkward to fit Mega Bro on any other archetype because of how much of a momentum drainer it can be after it mega evolves. Tbh I’ve found base Slowbro to be more reliable than Mega Bro.

Seismitoad to D
Oh boy, the big nom. So a bit of a backstory of Seismitoad is coming up. Long ago in the UU tier before the existence of Breloom, VoltTurn ran rampant with Washtom being the face of the archetype. Seismitoad then began to see usage because it possessed a niche as a sr setter over Swampert because it could hard counter Washtom and do an ok job against the rest of Volt turn with Water Absorb and that amazing Water/Ground defensive typing. Seismitoad eventually got enough usage for it to rise from NU to UU in the next shift. Unfortunately, Washtom rose to OU in that shift as well. Seismitoad began to struggle to have any sort of purpose or niche in the UU tier. It does have Water Absorb, but Swampert has decent offensive stats to match its nice bulk and phasing. Today, I don’t think that Seismitoad has any sort of niche in the tier. Swampert has begun to fall out of favor and anything that Seismitoad accomplishes, Swampert does far better. Seismitoad might honestly mislead new players with it being in C imo. RK9 has been looking pretty lonely in D. Let Seis join him.

But yeah those are my noms for slightly post Mega Venu suspect. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)