UU Simple Questions Thread

Either Taunt or SubSplit sets will beat Chansey. I've been running Taunt + WoW Chandelure for a while now and I really suggest you try that set out because in practice you will beat the most common special walls in the tier, as Florges does little damage to you as long as you run some HP investment. Very few special attackers can achieve this in the tier, with maybe Specs Keldeo coming close. Hydreigon can't reliably beat either Chansey or Florges even with significant Atk investment. For this reason Chandelure stands out to me as the most fearsome wallbreaker in the tier.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good EV spread for SubCoil Zygarde? I'm using the one from the OU analysis right now, but I'm not sure if a better one exists somewhere.

I'd say enough so that 0 SpA Slowbro's Scald (and every bulky Water-type with less Special Attack) doesn't break your Sub should be fine, Zygarde is a big reason why Ice Beam is near mandatory on my bulky waters. The spread I just came up with that keeps it being offensive as opposed to a full SpD one is 248 HP / 136 Atk / 56 SpD / 68 Spe Adamant. 136 is a jump point, 248/56 ensures your Subs aren't broken by weak Scalds (so ones not coming from Mega Blaster and Vaporeon, basically; you might wanna invest more for the second), and the Speed EVs creep on 24 Spe base 100s, so defensive Zapper and the like that aim to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow.

Is a specially defensive Mega Agron a good idea? What moves should it use?

Also what is the optimal EV spread and set for Defog Latias?

Aggron usually runs heavy slam, dragon tail and for the last slots either rest talk or stealth rock+earthquake. Theres also curse+resttak+heavy slam but i dont have experience with this one so i dunno if it runs sp def spread. Latias should just run 252 sp attack 252 speed with dual stabs and roost+defog but you could move some evs from sp atk to hp if you want.

I keep hearing that Swords Dance Celebi is extremely threatening, and I recently faced one on the ladder. Maybe I'm just a dumbass, but can someone explain to me why this particular Celebi has become so useful?

Hakumen

Hot grill
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Swords Dance Celebi is really useful because it's simply an awesome baton passer.
Thanks to its great typing and excellent bulk, Celebi can easily switch into common threats. From there, it can set-up Swords Dance and eventually Baton Pass the boost to a physical sweeper like Hawlucha, making this receiver really dangerous.

Swords Dance Celebi is really useful because it's simply an awesome baton passer.
Thanks to its great typing and excellent bulk, Celebi can easily switch into common threats. From there, it can set-up Swords Dance and eventually Baton Pass the boost to a physical sweeper like Hawlucha, making this receiver really dangerous.
What would be a good set for Hawlucha to run to get a pass? I typically run him with Swords Dance, Acrobatics, High Jump Kick and Stone Edge, but Swords Dance seems unnecessary with the passer.

Has anyone managed to figure out an EV spread for Assault Vest Tornadus-T that doesn't make it pathetically weak ? I've been fiddling for half an hour now and I can't come up with anything.

Has anyone managed to figure out an EV spread for Assault Vest Tornadus-T that doesn't make it pathetically weak ? I've been fiddling for half an hour now and I can't come up with anything.
It depence how powerful of hits you want to tank. I run Standart Tornadus-T just with Assult Vest on it and it still tanks without any investment special hits really well.

Oh, gotcha. Here I thought that SD / Seed Bomb / Zen Headbutt / Sucker Punch Celebi was some new, amazing meta call. Baton Pass makes tons of sense, thanks.

I feel like 88 SpA / 168 SpD / 252 Spe is the way to go, due to this being just enough to secure the OHKO on Keldeo after SR with Hurricane. Now it may seem odd to not run HP EVs, but it is actually Specially bulkier with 0/168 than with 168/0.

Hakumen

Hot grill
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
CascadeBeta
No, don't use this moveset on Hawlucha, you actually need a way to get the Umburden boost. Now that red card set has been deemed illegal, use this moveset :

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 Atk / 24 HP
Adamant Nature
- Sky Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Baton Pass

This is probably the best for Hawlucha if you use it as a receiver. Sky Attack is mandatory on this set as it activates Power Herb(and hence Unburden), allowing you to outspeed everything. High Jump Kick porvides a powerful STAB. Acrobatics is the other STAB which is really powerful after you use Unburden. These STABs provide a great coverage, only resisted by Zapdos and Doublade and are both quite powerful. Then, the last move depends of what you want. Baton Pass is cool here as it allows you to give the Attack boost to another physical sweeper but it can also be useful in order to scout the opponent when you don't have a boost(for instance you can predict a zapdos switch, use baton pass and go to something that can check/counter Zapdos). Alternatively, you can run Swords Dance over Baton Pass but it's not really useful as Celebi is a reliable baton passer and Hawlucha is actually quite hard to set-up. The spread allows to outspeed everything up to +Spe base 100s and Rash Raikou. You can run Jolly to outspeed max speed base 115s(i.e Raikou and Azelf) but Adamant is most of the time better as the extra power is great and with Unburden, you outspeed everything anyway.

Ernesto edit: Oh would you look at that, that's the exact set I ran before Bisharp went up. And I also paired it up with SD Celebi, damn; we must really be in sync, man. Anyway another move that might have utility there if you feel like you don't need SD is Encore. SD + Encore would still be the best combination, but we'll have to wait for Flying Gem to be released to use that.

Last edited:
Baton Pass is cool here as it allows you to give the boost to another physical sweeper but it can also be useful in order to scout the opponent when you don't have a boost(for instance you can predict a zapdos switch, use baton pass and go to something that can check/counter Zapdos).
the Unburden boost is not Baton Passed.

Ernesto edit: If you see the context of his post you'll see that he's prolly talking about the SD from Celebi, since he didn't say 'boosts' and the set was Hawlucha as a receiver. I could be wrong, though.

me edit: didn't realize that - i had to reread it several times to actually understand it...

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure many of us truly know the answer to that one keninja . Most legendaries (Zapdos, Moltres, Entei) and quite a few starters (all Johto and Unova ones) still have their Hidden Abilities unreleased as of now and they've had a DW/HA since the extra abilities were first announced in BW... It could be a while before Dragalge's is released, or it could just be until the next games in Gen VI are released. Don't think anyone can safely say one way or the other.

Why is Dragalge's Adaptability still unreleased?
Gamefreak trolling, most likely. Dragalge's version-exclusive counterpart is Clawitzer, which doesn't have a HA: it's likely that Gamefreak simply forgot to put Dragalge into the FS as a result. (then again, you have things like Staryu not in the FS, but Cloyster is)

As an add-on, HA Tyrantrum and Aurorus are also unreleased, and both have some competitive use too (Tyrantrum doesn't mind recoil-less Head Smash, Aurorus gets Snow Warning so it's never a bad thing)

Not sure many of us truly know the answer to that one keninja . Most legendaries (Zapdos, Moltres, Entei) and quite a few starters (all Johto and Unova ones) still have their Hidden Abilities unreleased as of now and they've had a DW/HA since the extra abilities were first announced in BW... It could be a while before Dragalge's is released, or it could just be until the next games in Gen VI are released. Don't think anyone can safely say one way or the other.

Hacking is bad, yes, but technically there is a way to hack unreleased HA into Pokemon X/Y. I tried this method and Snivy keeps Contrary, for the record.

The Musketeers all resist Knock Off and have Justified to boost their attack. Mega Aggron can take Knock Off for days with its titanic Defenses. Chesnaught is bulky and has native recovery to offset the loss of its Leftovers.

Where can I find the list of OU pokemon? The banlist thread only lists the BL pokemon, but not OU.

Ernesto edit: Thanks for the reminder, I added a link to Antar's post to the Council/Tiering info thread, that should work for the time being

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are some good switch ins to Knock Off in the tier?
Mega Aggron is probably the best in the tier, fearing only Superpower from Crawdaunt, and even then, it can still tank it quite well. Cobalion is probably the best of the musketeers to take Knock Off since it has solid Defense to take most coverage moves that Knock Off users have. Virizion has subpar Defense while Keldeo is a special attacker, meaning it won't benefit from the Attack boost.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How common is Defog in UU ? Compared to say, like, OU, where it's extremely common.

I'm asking this because I want to know how viable Choice Specs Competitive Milotic would be, I always wanted to try it out :p

How common is Defog in UU ? Compared to say, like, OU, where it's extremely common.

I'm asking this because I want to know how viable Choice Specs Competitive Milotic would be, I always wanted to try it out :p
It's pretty common, UU has a lot of Pokemon like Victini, Darmanitan, Chandelure, Crobat, Zapdos, Kyurem etc that are top threats and also hazard weak so there's a strong incentive to remove hazards, and there are some very good defoggers. I would estimate 40-60% of UU teams have Defog. Zapdos, Empoleon and Mew are probably the top 3 Defog users, but it is also frequently seen on random flying types; I don't have a huge amount of recent OU experience but I suspect it's easier to predict when Defog is coming in OU compared to UU. It doesn't help that Mew, Zapdos and Empoleon have a bunch of excellent sets that don't use Defog, the former two especially, which makes switching into them a little risky.

That's not to say competitive Milotic won't work, though - on the contrary, I suspect it's a pretty solid mon. As long as you switch into Defog and not Thunderbolt you should be able to beat even Zapdos, and you can also abuse the ever-popular Mega Manectric on double switches for free boosts. See also Krookodile, Arcanine/Qwilfish if you run into them, plus the obvious Sticky Web, which seems to have dropped off in popularity a little recently but it still very much used. I would perhaps consider trying Life Orb + Recover instead of Specs, but either should work. It just feels like a bit of a waste of the +2 if you're immediately locking yourself in since most teams have a Chansey or Assault Vest Slowbro or something that can take on a choice-locked Miltoic no trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)