Vancouver, BC Area: BC Provincial VGC 12 Side Event - March 17th - WON BY R Inanimate

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Central City Shopping Centre [ Map ]
10153 King George Boulevard
Surrey, BC V3T 2W1​

Registration: Up until the beginning of the second round of TCG Swiss. So approximately 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Get there as early as possible please.

The British Columbia TCG Provincial Championship will be held at the Central City Shopping Centre in Surrey - same venue as the Regional - on March 17th, 2012. I'll be holding a VGC '12 side event there so that people can get some practice in a real event as well and just get together to play some Pokemon! Rules will be VGC '12 as best we can emulate them without the magic box TPCi uses for official events. For a full list of these rules, please check here You will need to provide your own Nintendo DS, Pokemon Black or White game card, and charger. Anyone determined to be cheating will be disqualified.

The actual game will be played using the C-Gear function of Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. You'll be asked to write down your team of 6 on a piece of paper at registration. When playing, show this card to your opponent, then select four to enter the match with. Deposit the other two in your PC.

I'll update with further information as I can.

Format
We will be running the VGC Side Event between rounds of the TCG tournament. If you are in the TCG tournament, report to the VGC station once you're done and you'll be told where to wait for your opponent (or find your opponent). If you're not, just always report to the VGC station. It will be a swiss tournament with top cut if time permits.

Prizes
Your choice of one of selected DS, 360, and Wii games. Selection will also be restricted by age (sorry Juniors, but I can't give you Dead Rising).

Divisions
The Junior and Senior age groups will be combined into one unless there is enough participation to keep them separate.

Attending
Masters

1. Eraddd
  2. Articuno64
  3. J-Leo-L
Seniors

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Registration: Up until the beginning of the second round of TCG Swiss. So approximately 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Get there as early as possible please.

Format: We will be running the VGC Side Event between rounds of the TCG tournament. If you are in the TCG tournament, report to the VGC station once you're done and you'll be told where to wait for your opponent (or find your opponent). If you're not, just always report to the VGC station. It will be a swiss tournament with top cut if time permits.

Prizes: Your choice of one of selected DS, 360, and Wii games. Selection will also be restricted by age (sorry Juniors, but I can't give you Dead Rising).

Also, if you can please get your Player ID before the tournament if you don't already have one, it would really help move things along! Check our thread on it if you don't know how to do that. You'll need it for Regionals so might as well get it now!

I question whether TCG players will really have time for the tournament in-between rounds. I'd say "But if registration is free why not!" but that opens the possibility for many auto-losses during the tournament (especially in the early rounds) which doesn't sound fun for players committed to the VGC tourney.

Hopefully this works! So Sandy sanctioned this tourney eh? Very cool :)

Also do you know that TCG Provincials will in fact have registration end at 10:30? I know last time the reg was listed on the site as starting at 9 but the store wasn't even open yet. I'm guessing it is actually from 9:30-10:30 but if you've been talking to Sandy can you confirm that? :)

Note: I'd also add that due to the C-gear system, we FEAR that pokemon will be auto-leveled to 50, both up and down. Sorry for any inconvenience :P

Firestorm

She always tries to go by the time she submitted to Pokemon. It should be 9:30. It's not at Cravings this time so not having the shop open won't be an issue. It's also on a Saturday when the mall opens an hour earlier than last time!

Oh, and I just noticed the Provincial TCG Tournament is advertised on the mall website, even though the description is for Regionals =P
http://www.centralcity.ca/pokemon-championship-mar-17/

Are you guys doing team registration? Do you have a way to host a tournament through the battle box? Are you just relying on player honesty that no one changes attacks mid-tourney?

Firestorm

Are you guys doing team registration? Do you have a way to host a tournament through the battle box? Are you just relying on player honesty that no one changes attacks mid-tourney?
Player honesty for attacks. Just register names of the Pokemon (using paper).

Firestorm

I realized I never posted when I updated the OP =P

"The actual game will be played using the C-Gear function of Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. You'll be asked to write down your team of 6 on a piece of paper at registration. When playing, show this card to your opponent, then select four to enter the match with. Deposit the other two in your PC."

Don't think I'll be able to come to this, term papers and midterms have really caught up with me the past few weeks and my team is nowhere near ready.

I'm unsure if I'll go to the main tournament either, because school is more of a priority right now and I may not have enough time to train up. (Although I'll certainly try my best to make it!)

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unless you have an exam on the day of VGCs you have no excuse =/. You can spare a few hours in the morning to play a video game seriously. And you live in Surrey for crying out loud...

Or if you have controlling parents but that's another story.

Even though the tournament didn't operate as smoothly as we would have liked, I had a few really good battles. Nice meeting/battling you all, and good luck preparing for next month's regional.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Protesting on the account that Firestorm is incompetent.

Just joking. Had a good time.
Haha, a few lessons learned:

1. Don't let one straggler delay every round by being MIA
  2. Don't be a TCG side-show

But yeah, despite the context of it all, it was a good time. Also I think I'm forever destined to get 3rd place at these things while losing to a Kwa brother.

Even though the tournament didn't operate as smoothly as we would have liked, I had a few really good battles. Nice meeting/battling you all, and good luck preparing for next month's regional.
It was great meeting you man, our battle was the closest I had all day. See you in April!

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure all of us who were there know about the delay issues. Which is a learning experience for the next time this is run. I had a good time. It was good meeting you guys again, we'll meet again in the Regionals.

Firestorm

Yar, sorry about the delays and thanks for the patience. Lesson learned. Part of it was because announcements weren't clear but I think in the future I'd prefer keeping it strictly VGC in any case. I'll see you all again at Regionals! =) Good hanging out with everyone as always.

Top 4 got prizes
1. R Inanimate
2. No Smogon Account
3. Articuno64
4. Team Rocket Elite

About 16 total entrants iirc.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I also had a lot of fun at the event. Timing issues can be worked out in the future but that did leave a lot of time to talk with everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)