VGC '11 US Northwest Regional - Seattle, WA - May 14th - WON BY biffsterPKMN

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh shit, it's biff?! back to the future all over again :p

congrats man. and congrats to everyone who made top 16. :)

Hey folks...

Just got back from the tourney, here to answer a couple questions:

@ Kamz: Cade lost first round to 'Snake'... he of whom MattJ speaks, and Josh F. was not there.

@ 616: Competitors are required to place their six pokemon in their Battle Box, accessible from Amanita's PC. Once registered, those pokemon cannot be switched out, and no other pokemon can be used. This solves the 'play the first few rounds with hacked pokemon, then ditch them for legit mons before the hack-check' problem. However, it's not possible to move items among the team. They're locked in.

When we registered, event staff took our DS consoles and placed them in front of a box to download the vgc tournament rules. It was during this process that illegal items were filtered out. While I don't have confirmation, I like to think that downloaded program also filtered out illegal pokemon.

Additional info:
You're able to view your opponent's team for 90 seconds. Battles are capped at 15 min., with turn selection capped at 60 seconds. There is a timer for both match time and move selection in the lower left had corner of your screen. I saw only one match decided on time.

The Ducks dominated again, with a very strong showing from the Spokane Pokemon... group. Sorry guys, I don't remember the last word in your title. Federation? Collective? Empire? So Star Trekkie...

Have fun at your associated regionals...

Jthreau

formerly DoubleJG
Congrats to Biff and everyone else who made Nationals. The battles were very enjoyable to watch. :naughty:

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Hey folks...

Just got back from the tourney, here to answer a couple questions:

@ Kamz: Cade lost first round to 'Snake'... he of whom MattJ speaks, and Josh F. was not there.

@ 616: Competitors are required to place their six pokemon in their Battle Box, accessible from Amanita's PC. Once registered, those pokemon cannot be switched out, and no other pokemon can be used. This solves the 'play the first few rounds with hacked pokemon, then ditch them for legit mons before the hack-check' problem. However, it's not possible to move items among the team. They're locked in.

When we registered, event staff took our DS consoles and placed them in front of a box to download the vgc tournament rules. It was during this process that illegal items were filtered out. While I don't have confirmation, I like to think that downloaded program also filtered out illegal pokemon.

Additional info:
You're able to view your opponent's team for 90 seconds. Battles are capped at 15 min., with turn selection capped at 60 seconds. There is a timer for both match time and move selection in the lower left had corner of your screen. I saw only one match decided on time.

The Ducks dominated again, with a very strong showing from the Spokane Pokemon... group. Sorry guys, I don't remember the last word in your title. Federation? Collective? Empire? So Star Trekkie...

Have fun at your associated regionals...
What do you mean "illegal items"?

Given that Six asked how the hackcheck worked earlier and it was in reply to that I'd say it'd be that but also specifically more stuff like 511/512/1512 EVs and illegal moves. Though a presumed magical box of hackchecking still doesn't tell us much, lol.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Winning team?? Videos?? Overall placings?? Anything?
The archive of the finals stream is here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14708123

You'll have to wait for TPCi to update with a direct feed.

biffsterPKMN won first place beating "Tween Star". "Itako" and Team Rocket Elite's brother (sorry dude, dunno your online name) rounded out the top 4. The Top 16 included Ninahaza, OmegaDonut, Fish, Team Rocket Elite, and thepickandplay (dunno if that is his Smogon name, it was on IRC).

Hiya ya'll, GreenStaar here. Long time lurker, in fact my whole team used Smogon sets. I placed in the Top 16 today (though should've been at least Top 8 if not for a dumb mistake where I tried to out-think my opponent and protected instead of just attacking for the win. Lost to the 2nd place guy today). Just a couple questions since this was my first ever VGC.

1) Is it worth it to trek to Indiana for Nationals? Is there more to the event than there was at Regionals?
2) Usually how many of the Top 16 make the trip to Nationals?
3) Would an Ice Beam from a Modest, 252 SpAtk Jellicent OHKO a Thundurus? (please say no so I can sleep tonight lol)
4) Not a question, but just congrats to Biff! I talked to him a bit and he seemed like a nice guy. Glad he doesn't have to travel to Texas now for those regionals like he thought he might have had to!

Btw, those boxes didn't check for illegal moves since my opponent in my 3rd match used Sky Drop. I notified officials, but won going away anyways so it didn't matter.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nationals is awesome, way better than regionals, you should go.

And no that ice beam won't 1hko.

Congratz you guys, today was my first time participating at the VGC. I got smoked for a thousand reasons. I saw some amazing battles today, I'm going to be in st. louis over the summer so Indy is only a roadtrip away.

Hopefully I can get a good party with pokemon actually over level 50.

These are the results (mostly compiled by user BadIntent). As far as I am aware, this list is accurate, but may not be comprehensive. Will edit as more information comes.

Biffster- 1st
[SPF] Tween Star - 2nd
TRE's brother - 3rd
[SPF] Itako - 4th

Fish - Top 8
OmegaDonut - Top 8
TeamRocketElite - Top 8
thepickandplay - Top 8

GreenStaar - Top 16
Halordain - Top 16
Ninahaza - Top 16
Raze17 - Top 16

Congradulations to everybody who participated, and especially those who made it to the finalists lounge! Best of luck to those who didn't and will be going for round 2 in San Jose.

VGC 2011 has finally begun!

Thanks Alaka, that means that if I did attack, he would've survived and then OHKO me like he did and won anyways. Makes me feel a whole lot better! Now to try to butter up the wife to let me go to Nationals!

Btw, I saw that it's July 8-10... why's it 3 days? With only 112 competitors for each Division, shouldn't it go just as fast as the Regionals? I'm just trying to find out what to tell the boss why I need 3 days away lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)