VGC 2014 Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is. It's called Rated Wi-Fi battles, as well as Free Wi-Fi battles which is unrestricted. Also it's probably (in my opinion) that VGC2015 season will allow full Pokedex minus the usual suspecst (Mew, Mewtwo, etc)
Wait, are we talking about in X and Y itself, or online with a simulator?

Well, I might as Well post some HUGE threats here.
MegaCharizard, MegaAbomasnow, Excadrill, MegaGarchomp, Diggersby,
These are all things to watch out for, along with Trickroom+MegaAmpharos and Tailwind Talonflame.

It's Going to certainly be interesting.
How about Mega Abomasnow + Trick Room? with that Pitiful base 30 speed, it can outslow just about everything there is, including Mega Ampharos

P.S. Excadrill is only available through Friend Safari and therefore not Kalos native

All egg moves are legal, regardless of how the parent got the move, or what the parent is. Therefore, extremespeed dragonite is legal, as long as it's egg was laid and hatched in X or Y.

TBH the 2014 VGC rules is ridiculous and inconsistent. I'm liking the no Cressliea, genies, Heatran and co stuff, but having egg move Pokemon (with extremespeed Dragonite, Dark Void Smeargle being hot topics) which came from Gen V (or even IV) legal, while Friend Safari Pokemon aren't, is just baffling.

If egg moves from previous generation are legal, why can't we use Jellicent, Eelectross, Whimsicott, etc from Gen V too? Heck, why can't we even use Metagross, Togekiss, Breloom, Dusclops and other Friend Safari Pokemons (that are found normally in the previous Generations)? It's unfair for Sunny Day teams not having Ninetails, while the Hail, Rain and SS teams can have all their weather-inducing ability Pokemon available too btw.

Seriously, if they just want make the metagame more varied, please just ban ALL legendaries.

I'm really hoping there will be an errata / updates on the rules.

TBH the 2014 VGC rules is ridiculous and inconsistent. I'm liking the no Cressliea, genies, Heatran and co stuff, but having egg move Pokemon (with extremespeed Dragonite, Dark Void Smeargle being hot topics) which came from Gen V (or even IV) legal, while Friend Safari Pokemon aren't, is just baffling.

If egg moves from previous generation are legal, why can't we use Jellicent, Eelectross, Whimsicott, etc from Gen V too? Heck, why can't we even use Metagross, Togekiss, Breloom, Dusclops and other Friend Safari Pokemons (that are found normally in the previous Generations)? It's unfair for Sunny Day teams not having Ninetails, while the Hail, Rain and SS teams can have all their weather-inducing ability Pokemon available too btw.

Seriously, if they just want make the metagame more varied, please just ban ALL legendaries.

I'm really hoping there will be an errata / updates on the rules.
There is probably going to be plenty of sun with charizard-y going around. And yes, the banning of pokemon like metagross/togekiss/hitmontop does suck, but at the same time, it does distinguish this meta from other metas, so I'm relatively glad about that.

I feel the meta is in a good place right now, it's very balanced and opened to a lot of odd picks. I know smogon banned several major 1v1 threats, fearing for their lack of balance (kagaskhan and gengar particularly), but in the doubles world, those two aren't overpowered really. There's too much to check them. I really like the state of doubles this generation more than I ever did in previous generations. There isn't a "perfect team" or simply a team of goodstuff pokemon. I feel it's varied in very interesting ways.

There is probably going to be plenty of sun with charizard-y going around. And yes, the banning of pokemon like metagross/togekiss/hitmontop does suck, but at the same time, it does distinguish this meta from other metas, so I'm relatively glad about that.

I feel the meta is in a good place right now, it's very balanced and opened to a lot of odd picks. I know smogon banned several major 1v1 threats, fearing for their lack of balance (kagaskhan and gengar particularly), but in the doubles world, those two aren't overpowered really. There's too much to check them. I really like the state of doubles this generation more than I ever did in previous generations. There isn't a "perfect team" or simply a team of goodstuff pokemon. I feel it's varied in very interesting ways.
Oh yeah almost forgot about M-Charizard Y. Though it would take up the Mega slot of the team. Bout the metagame and choice of Pokemon to use, I dunno Haruki_Jitsunin, there aren't a lot of great ones to choose from in the Kalos 'dex. In a recent big event in my town, everyone and their grandmother were using Greninja, Klefki, Aegislash and some Talonflames. No sightings of Phantump, Sliggoo, Diggersby, Trevenant, Florges or the likes. Having a new, "closed" pool of Pokemon to choose from is nice all, but I don't think the metagame's gonna be too diverse in terms of utilizing the gen VI Pokemon.

Personally, I'm complaining more about the pointlessness of Friend Safari and Pokebank/Transfer. Why bother having 2 features where you can get more (non legendary) Pokemon to diversify the metagame if we can't use them?

But regarding Kanga & Gengar I agree, in doubles it's a completely different case, just like VGC and Smogon's point of view :P

Oh yeah almost forgot about M-Charizard Y. Though it would take up the Mega slot of the team. Bout the metagame and choice of Pokemon to use, I dunno Haruki_Jitsunin, there aren't a lot of great ones to choose from in the Kalos 'dex. In a recent big event in my town, everyone and their grandmother were using Greninja, Klefki, Aegislash and some Talonflames. No sightings of Phantump, Sliggoo, Diggersby, Trevenant, Florges or the likes. Having a new, "closed" pool of Pokemon to choose from is nice all, but I don't think the metagame's gonna be too diverse in terms of utilizing the gen VI Pokemon.

Personally, I'm complaining more about the pointlessness of Friend Safari and Pokebank/Transfer. Why bother having 2 features where you can get more (non legendary) Pokemon to diversify the metagame if we can't use them?

But regarding Kanga & Gengar I agree, in doubles it's a completely different case, just like VGC and Smogon's point of view :P
Obviously your metagame is very underdeveloped, people are running Gourgeist, Goodra, Aromatisse, Mawile, Gyarados, Noivern, even Vivillion.

Kalos Native
Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A
native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that
have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not
native.

So that means I would have to use my Scrafty I hatched in my X version over my White 2 right? Pretty much sealing all of it's move tutor moves.
So basically pokemon with the blue pentagon that is now proven to show native pokemon.

But
Obviously your metagame is very underdeveloped, people are running Gourgeist, Goodra, Aromatisse, Mawile, Gyarados, Noivern, even Vivillion.
But you can't deny that the majority of people in this meta game will be running aegislash, greninja, talonflame with gale wings, although there are less popular and more creative picks, the metagame will probably focus on those mons

I have question I know that the Pokemon at the VGC have to be found in one of the three kalos pokedexes, can pokemon be entered that are found but aren't kalos breed but transfered from older gens?

I have question I know that the Pokemon at the VGC have to be found in one of the three kalos pokedexes, can pokemon be entered that are found but aren't kalos breed but transfered from older gens?
They cannot. Pokemon in VGC must have the Kalos Native Blue Pentagon on their summary screen.

OU has lot more variety than current VGC
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/teams-vgc-14-spring-regionals/
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ja...inals-results-team-details-statistics-review/

What do you mean by little diversity? If you take a look at the teams from the spring regionals and the Battle Road Gloria tournament you see that all the same faces show up often, there are a whole host of other Pokemon who all do well at tournaments. A team consists of six Pokemon so even if so even if a player uses some standard Pokemon it doesn't prevent them from using less common Pokemon. Some Pokemon do receive extremely large amounts of usage, Garchomp, Aegislash, and Kangaskhan to name a few. This, however, doesn't mean that there isn't variety, just that they are very central to the metagame currently. If you look over those lists of teams you will see teams like Tony Cheung's, Isaac Van Name's, and Bridger Snow's which use no particularly common Pokemon but still all did well at tournaments. Variety is also in how people choose to use these Pokemon, what moves they use, what EVs they have chosen to invest, et cetera.

Restriction do not inhibit creativity, without any restrictions what would we have other than a disorganized mess. If we had rules similar to that of VGC'13 we would end up with very little new, merely a repeat of previous years. Without these restrictions we wouldn't have to look to find new viable answers to things, rather we would just fall back on the solutions we had before. The rules will be different next year and we can use what we have learnt this year. Having changing restrictions allows for a metagame that is never the same twice.

Garchomps sharp rise in usage this season is likely due to the loss of Cresselia and Landorus-T to counter it. We will probably see that the national PokeDex is legal next year, not only reintroducing those Pokemon but also the newly Fairy-type Togekiss to counter it as well. This will obviously effect Garchomps overall viability, I am not saying Garchomp will be bad just unlikely to have 60% usage. This is one example of a change that could occur, new restrictions effects everything.

I'm actually a big fan of the current rules, because you at least need to put effort forward to building your team by breeding, leveling, and overall testing instead of just genericly Pokegenning the Pokes. But they are most likely due to change especially with another addition in the 6th gen (i.e. Pokemon "Z") and the longer period of time Poketransfer is out. But for now this will do.

Now, I do understand the rules, and I know you can transfer parents over for breeding. My question is... are transfer only abilities such as Unnerve Aerodactyl and Regen Alomomola and much more allowed? My guess is that they are, just want to be 100% sure before I start building my team around some tranfer abilities.

I'm actually a big fan of the current rules, because you at least need to put effort forward to building your team by breeding, leveling, and overall testing instead of just genericly Pokegenning the Pokes. But they are most likely due to change especially with another addition in the 6th gen (i.e. Pokemon "Z") and the longer period of time Poketransfer is out. But for now this will do.

Now, I do understand the rules, and I know you can transfer parents over for breeding. My question is... are transfer only abilities such as Unnerve Aerodactyl and Regen Alomomola and much more allowed? My guess is that they are, just want to be 100% sure before I start building my team around some tranfer abilities.
Egg moves, and hidden abilities are all legal on Kalos native Pokemon from transferred parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)