VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
Where'd "Japan Sand" come from? Is it a common archetype used by Japanese players or something?
'Japan Sand' is a team that was used by a Japanese player (don't know the exact name of said player) earlier in the season. It was popularised by Cybertron and was a team that became fairly consistent at placing high in big tours. It's popularity caused many other players to make their own twists of the original and so it's been an archtype people have had to prep for, for a little while.

Does Flash Fire lure in Fire type moves like Lightingrod / Storm Drain?

How goodis Ludicolo outside of rain?
(I'm running Heatran and a Water type in Tailwind)

Does Flash Fire lure in Fire type moves like Lightingrod / Storm Drain?

How goodis Ludicolo outside of rain?
(I'm running Heatran and a Water type in Tailwind)
Flash Fire, no, no redirection effect. Works like Volt Absorb or Sap Sipper.
Ludicolo outside of rain sucks and should only ever be used as a rain counter. Slow and weak.

Does anyone who played in the 2006 Journey Across America still play?

Also, if anyone is familiar with a Smogon tournament held awhile back that included various doubles formats, including JAA, could they please link me to that thread?

How well does Special Mega Lucario usually do? I'm asking because I'm making a team with him and I'm wondering if it would be worth the time:

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def OR 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Modest Nature or Timid Nature OR Naive Nature or Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def OR 31 Atk / 31 Def OR 0 Atk
- Aura Sphere / Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Vacuum Wave / Bullet Punch / Extreme Speed
- Detect / Protect
Aura Sphere and Flash Cannon are your main STAB moves and they get boosted by Adaptability. For the third slot, Hidden Power Ice can be used with a 0 Atk / 30 Def IV Spread for so general coverage that mainly hits Landorus-T but it doesn't outspeed so...yeah. Vacuum Wave is the only Special Priority attacking move and it does quite well here because it gets STAB and a Adaptability boost, and if used, should be used with 0 Atk IVs. If none of those options sound appealing, than you can use Bullet Punch or Extreme Speed. Bullet Punch is a STAB Adaptability-boosted Priority Move and Extreme Speed has more Priority but is a Normal-Type Move so there is that. If one of these are used, than 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk should be used. For the final slot, you can decide between Detect and Protect. While Protect has more PP, Detect is usually immune to Imprison (I think Smeargle is the only one that can use both iirc).

Last edited:
The idea of sp attack M Lucario seems interesting and with the right team it could potentially work pretty well, but I personally think the plain old physical M Lucario is better. Personally if Lucario were to ever get Iron Head in its movepool, then I think running SP attack or mixed would be less attractive to run.

Or if there was a steel type physical damaging move that had a similar base power as Iron Head or Flash Cannon and similar accuracy.

The idea of sp attack M Lucario seems interesting and with the right team it could potentially work pretty well, but I personally think the plain old physical M Lucario is better. Personally if Lucario were to ever get Iron Head in its movepool, then I think running SP attack or mixed would be less attractive to run.

Or if there was a steel type physical damaging move that had a similar base power as Iron Head or Flash Cannon and similar accuracy.
Thanks for responding. I have built a team for Special Mega Lucario as a secondary Mega along side Mega Kangaskhan and its right here. I haven't really got much testing in with the team but that is where it is at currently.

Hey I just had a quick question regarding legality, my friend traded me a female rock head tyrantrum in a dive ball (clearly hacked). Because I need a legal rock head tyrantrum however, I used it to breed legal ones- only problem is they are all in dive balls. As these tyrantrum were obtained legally in game, would they be allowed for tournament play? Cheers in advance

Hey I just had a quick question regarding legality, my friend traded me a female rock head tyrantrum in a dive ball (clearly hacked). Because I need a legal rock head tyrantrum however, I used it to breed legal ones- only problem is they are all in dive balls. As these tyrantrum were obtained legally in game, would they be allowed for tournament play? Cheers in advance
Pretty similar to Ray Rizzo's Aegislash, no, the Dive Ball breeds cannot be used. However, get a male one and breed it with a Ditto, and all the breeds will be Poke Ball

Ok quick follow up question, would a pokemon caught in a nuzlocke randomizer be legal as it was caught in game? Cheers again!

Hello I'm Potato!

I want to get involved on different parts of smog goon. Like this here VGC subforum.
My question is: how can I get involved without participating in anything cart/tournament related?

GroudonEmpire you just need to play on showdown on the ladder nothin else.If you want a team then you can just look one up on the sample threads or if you want just look at StevenStones common archetypes of 2015 VGC as you can see its in his Description.

GroudonEmpire you just need to play on showdown on the ladder nothin else.If you want a team then you can just look one up on the sample threads or if you want just look at StevenStones common archetypes of 2015 VGC as you can see its in his Description.
I meant get involved on the forum not the format!

I meant get involved on the forum not the format!
Oh, ok. Hmmm, like, let's see.
First of all, threads like Viability Rankings allow to discuss the viability of some Pokemon. The good cores thread allows you to put combinations of Pokemon that worked for you in the past and let's all players discuss it and learn it, and for last, the Teambuilding Workshop allows you to either pick up cores from people building around them and build your own personalized team with it or submit a core and let one of our approved builders take care of it!
Those are the main concerns rn. If you have any nice ideas for new threads on the forums, let us know and we'll gladly consider it!

Btw, i kinda want to close that thread due to the articles of it being released individually. No luck just yet though. But thanks for the mention! I really appreciate my work is being recognized n_n

Ksh13 Edit: HA GOTTEM!

Any important benchmarks that I should try to reach when EVing a Modest Download Porygon2?

I want to try the Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Trick Room, Recover Porygon2, that I've been seeing a lot on Battle Spot lately.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Any important benchmarks that I should try to reach when EVing a Modest Download Porygon2?

I want to try the Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Trick Room, Recover Porygon2, that I've been seeing a lot on Battle Spot lately.
When I made my Porygon2 spread I ev'd it to take 2 Returns from Kangaskhan and 2hko 4 hp Kangaskhan at +1. You could also ev it to kill Amoonguss along with a team member's attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)