VGC 2015 Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season I actually like the pentagon rule, unlike last season where it was greatly limiting. The limitations on number of accessible Pokemon is removed by a far more expansive list of legal Pokemon this season. The pentagon rule only further benefits the competitiveness of the metagame, as there was a ridiculous inequality created in previous generations by those which could or couldn't RNG, by enforcing Pokemon to be native to gen 6 it rules out 6 IV RNGed (legendary) Pokemon generally making things fairer for everyone and more inclusive.

Exactly, the pentagon rule makes the format far less intimidating to get into, I know many people who played XY vgc if only because they could breed their mons (bird trio excluded)

I'm expecting a slight surge in Powersave usage because there's more legendaries allowed this year, but it won't be as bad as pre-gen6 for sure.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Any thoughts on Trick Room? I find it really good in this meta with all these fast mons and tailwind offense being a really popular playstyle. I'm excited to test out Adaptability Dragalge lol; it worked for me in the Smogdubs ladder so i'm curious as to see how well it'll fair in VGC.

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
Any thoughts on Trick Room? I find it really good in this meta with all these fast mons and tailwind offense being a really popular playstyle. I'm excited to test out Adaptability Dragalge lol; it worked for me in the Smogdubs ladder so i'm curious as to see how well it'll fair in VGC.
TR has always been a good playstyle as long as you can actually make it work, and I don't think the Pokemon included in the meta will change this. It's just the matter of beating the TR counters such as Amoonguss, Sylveon, etc. Nevertheless if you can make it work than I can't see why it's not going to be a strong team option.

Am I the only one disappointed that it wasn't Hoenn only? Still really happy that it has finally be announced and I will actually have drive to to finish breeding some of my half-dones. The pentagon rule is totally chill because it evens the playing field for newer players and forces the older players to actually have to do the same legwork each season. I can see counter arguments of "we already did the work" but I still stand with Nintendo here. As for your Landorus/Salamance counter, Metagross has clear body, mega evolves and OHKOs MegaMance with Ice Punch with only 100 atk evs with Jolly nature, assuming Salamance outsteeds Megagross. That's a ton of jargon, but the point is there is a counter off the top of my head, and I am sure there are tons more. Sounds like a very dynamic metagame, at least for the first part of the season, and I can't wait for it to begin! (actually, I can, something tells me life and the holidays are going to get in the way of breeding and practice)

I seriously don't see why everyone is complaining about the pentagon rule. 6th gen has made all non-event legends available in the wild with at LEAST 3 guaranteed perfect IVs, and breeding is easier than ever. If you want to get a perfect team together to use in the VGC, it really isn't that horribly difficult. If you still find it too much trouble to make a team on the games to use in the VGC, then it's clearly not the style of play that is for you. The point in playing the actual games at the VGC is not only trying to win with the team you have, it's having made that team to bring in the first place.

Thundurus with HP Ice is gonna be quite useful for the Lando-Ts and MegaMences. Also, the Pentagon Rule is looking good! <3

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
The pentagon rule is really not a big deal. It's not like getting the legendaries you'd use in VGC like Thundurus and Landorus-T is anything too difficult. Breeding 5 IVs is painfully easy. You're probably not using Sheer Force Landorus-I. You're definitely not using Defog in VGC. So why is everyone complaining? Personally, I can understand why they have the pentagon rule in the first place. They probably want to prevent people from using the probably-RNG-abused Pokemon from pre-Gen VI, and you know how up in arms TPCI is about any form of manipulation. And besides, you probably don't have a team consisting entirely of legendary Pokemon, otherwise it almost certainly sucks. Even with the pentagon rule, you will not have a hard time getting your team ready.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I will enjoy yelling and watching stuff drop, and occasionally dropping meteors on stuff that can withstand my yelling. Seriously though, you better have your Speed control ready for this guy.

The pentagon rule is really not a big deal. It's not like getting the legendaries you'd use in VGC like Thundurus and Landorus-T is anything too difficult. Breeding 5 IVs is painfully easy. You're probably not using Sheer Force Landorus-I. You're definitely not using Defog in VGC. So why is everyone complaining? Personally, I can understand why they have the pentagon rule in the first place. They probably want to prevent people from using the probably-RNG-abused Pokemon from pre-Gen VI, and you know how up in arms TPCI is about any form of manipulation. And besides, you probably don't have a team consisting entirely of legendary Pokemon, otherwise it almost certainly sucks. Even with the pentagon rule, you will not have a hard time getting your team ready.
Yeah pentagons don't bother me too much honestly but considering I have ruby version and wont be getting sapphire any time soon, obtaining an HP Ice thund with good IVs is gonna be a struggle.
Wait, is Sucker Punch isn't legal on Top. Rip TopMoth
That's my other problem with pentagons, you will forever be missed SP top

I seriously don't see why everyone is complaining about the pentagon rule. 6th gen has made all non-event legends available in the wild with at LEAST 3 guaranteed perfect IVs, and breeding is easier than ever. If you want to get a perfect team together to use in the VGC, it really isn't that horribly difficult. If you still find it too much trouble to make a team on the games to use in the VGC, then it's clearly not the style of play that is for you. The point in playing the actual games at the VGC is not only trying to win with the team you have, it's having made that team to bring in the first place.
My issue is that I like to run through the new games, so I caught everything without caring since I have flawless versions of them already. Also, why do I need to breed the same exact team(or Pokemon) that I've spent 400+ hours getting on in the previous games.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm glad at the lack of the VGC'09 rules on legends as it means that there is a lack of M-Ray...

I am also looking forward to seeing how the season evolves, what new threats appear and how the metagame evolves to meet these new threats. VGC'14 - a metagame which had a very limited selection of Pokemon that were usable - was still evolving long after worlds ended, so I can't wait to see what evolutions occur over the course of the next few years.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can someone explain the pentagon rule to me? It sounds like your entire team has to be from mystery gift.

Also, it is impossible to breed ANY legendaries right?

I'm glad at the lack of the VGC'09 rules on legends as it means that there is a lack of M-Ray...
Agreed, its hard just to think about how BS the meta would be with it. But Mega Kang coming back didn't make me happy (thank the fact Mega Gallade will finally be that counter IMO)
I thought we got rid of them.....:(

Can someone explain the pentagon rule to me? It sounds like your entire team has to be from mystery gift.

Also, it is impossible to breed ANY legendaries right?
Pentagon means your pokemon MUST be hatched/caught in XY or ORAS, anything transferred from Gen 5/4/3 games are banned. This also means specific tutor moves from past games won't be seen anymore.
All legendaries cannot breed with the exception of phione I guess but it's banned lmao

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pentagon means your pokemon MUST be hatched/caught in XY or ORAS, anything transferred from Gen 5/4/3 games are banned. This also means specific tutor moves from past games won't be seen anymore.
All legendaries cannot breed with the exception of phione I guess but it's banned lmao
Thanks, those rules are actually amazing for me because this is the first gen where I've been serious about breeding and battling.

Edit: They let us use Megamence, but there's no Phione. TROLLFREAK AT ITS FINEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)