VGC 2016 Rules - "Uber" legendaries are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
OML Ferro is good in this meta wut

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn checks the likes of Kyogre, Xerneas, and Kangaskhan all in one. It can single handedly stall out half or more of your opponent's team. Once you get ride of Primal Groudon, Ferrothorn basically shits on all the other mons. Some good partners for Ferrothorn are Primal Kyogre, who can can get rid of its Fire weakness, and Cresselia, who can set Trick Room for it. The given EVs let it OHKO 4 HP Primal Kyogre with Power Whip, and the rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and SpD to take Origin Pulses and boosted Dazzling Gleams better.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn checks the likes of Kyogre, Xerneas, and Kangaskhan all in one. It can single handedly stall out half or more of your opponent's team. Once you get ride of Primal Groudon, Ferrothorn basically shits on all the other mons. Some good partners for Ferrothorn are Primal Kyogre, who can can get rid of its Fire weakness, and Cresselia, who can set Trick Room for it. The given EVs let it OHKO 4 HP Primal Kyogre with Power Whip, and the rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and SpD to take Origin Pulses and boosted Dazzling Gleams better.
Leech Seed is good in a meta where half of the biggest threats have base 100 HP or more. But I feel that you are over selling Ferrothorn. Yes it is a reliable check to Kyogre and but Kangaskhan can make it PuP bait which isn't as common anymore but it is still a thing to watch out for and if Xerneas is already set or has Follow Me support with Hidden Power Fire prepare to get blown back. Both of these situations but not always guanteed to destroy your like.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Me when i heard Mega Ray was unbanned
"OH MY GOD GAMEFREAK WHAT THE FUCK"
Me after playing a little bit
"what the fuck is a mega ray lol"

I dont even like mega ray, it's not really even that good. My first team that I built for this meta which is actually like the coolest team I've ever used in mons (it just plays so well OML) has so far 0 ways that I know of to really lose to Mega Rayquaza and Mega Salamence just seems sooooo much better imo. The only real difference is that Mega Salamence doesn't lose to Mega Salamence 100% of the time whereas Mega Ray usually loses to them every time. Mega Ray also takes up one of the dropped ubers slots while Mega Mence doesn't, and I suppose Mega Ray hits harder with Life Orb/avoids the first Will-o-wisp from Sableye while Mega Mence doesn't, so it has that perk. Even then, Mega Mence has a cooler movepool and a higher speed stat to take advantage of.
Some really cool mons that I think are gonna be really good are probably

Literally fucking gods, things that aren't really that bulky at all die to Dark Aura boosted Sucker Punch, which hits really really hard. Max speed Yveltal can do like
48 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 91-109 (43.9 - 52.6%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO
while Dark Aura boosted Sucker Punches sit there like
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Dark Aura Primal Groudon: 68-80 (32.8 - 38.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO
though I would never really do that the damage is like fucking amazing. Also that Groudon had 0 atk investment so Foul Play wasn't even doing much compared to what it could be doing (in the case of like max hp max atk adamant look here!)
48 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dark Aura Primal Groudon: 133-156 (64.2 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I saw this hit a +2 Xerneas with a max HP Water Spout and it did a ton dude what a god.
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas in Heavy Rain: 103-123 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah yeah I talked some shit at the start but SD+ESpeed can really tear shit up if it's supported right. Note if it's supported right because it really does take a lot of support to not lose to something like Yveltal+Hitmontop right from the start or something because Tailwind+Foul Play is the bubonic plague (btw since Mence has a higher defense this is another perk of Mence>Mega Ray :^)
I would like to end this by saying Yveltal is literally a god.
Glad to see someone else sees Yvetal as such a good pokemon. It punished PDon, Mega Ray and Mega Mence and Mawile gets not complaints from me.
Unfortunately it is Water Spout but basically POgre is like S+ in my opinion the biggest threat in the meta at the moment.
Mega Ray isn't worth the spot in my opinion. SD + Extremespeed is one of two niches besides Waterfall to hit even Cress Swap + PDon. Not saying that is bad as it can run effectively on teams that have two megas since it doesn't have to give up an item for its mega evolution but I find way to easy to deal with it is almost scary

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was about to get into VGCs this year, until I saw this ruleset.

Yeah, I have a Shiny Penta Rayquaza with the most important IVs and Nature, but I never cared to use it competitively and I sure as heck don't want to fight other ones.

M-Rayquaza and P-Groudon will be on 99.99% of teams, and that's not fun for anyone
If you don't care, I will gladly take this off your hands lol. I can clone it for you and trade you a shiny Manaphy (which you won't oppose because you aren't playing). Send me a PM if you're interested. Seriously.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Leech Seed is good in a meta where half of the biggest threats have base 100 HP or more. But I feel that you are over selling Ferrothorn. Yes it is a reliable check to Kyogre and but Kangaskhan can make it PuP bait which isn't as common anymore but it is still a thing to watch out for and if Xerneas is already set or has Follow Me support with Hidden Power Fire prepare to get blown back. Both of these situations but not always guanteed to destroy your like.
Pup Kang takes Iron Barbs and it still does a relatively small amount. Togekiss is the only viable Follow Me support in the meta (p sure) and it gets bopped by Gyro Ball. In the case of Rage Powder, Ferro is immune. Also HP Fire Xern isn't a thing.

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Shame xern commonly carries focus blast (or hp ground which is meh) mostly due to yknow actually injuring fairy resists. Not to mention +2 moonblast does absolute shittons to ferro.

Mega Ray can also viably run fire blast which shits on ferro. Also ferro is dark void bait which is iffy in itself. I feel you're hyping it way too much when although it beats kyogre, it fares horrendously against the other top threats in the meta. The fact that you're advising tr got ferro is baffling as well since if you really needed something to set tr, then you'd want A mon that can properly abuse it which ferro doesn't.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
While it dies to Pdon almost every time, Tentacruel is a monster in the rain. Give it Black Sludge and have it with Rain Dish, and get behind a sub and you're there for a good long while. Some Calcs on relevant threats in this meta so far:

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 29-35 (16.7 - 20.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 46-55 (26.5 - 31.7%) -- 50.2% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 29-35 (16.7 - 20.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 59-69 (34.1 - 39.8%) -- 42.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 93-109 (53.7 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 58-69 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel in Rain: 50-59 (28.9 - 34.1%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel in Rain: 68-81 (39.3 - 46.8%) -- 93.7% chance to 3HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 66-78 (38.1 - 45%) -- 54.1% chance to 3HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 66-78 (38.1 - 45%) -- 54.1% chance to 3HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 34-41 (19.6 - 23.6%) -- possible 8HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 140 HP / 4+ SpD Tentacruel: 144-170 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery

But lol if you keep it in on Pdon, it's dead. So yeah, if your opponent doesn't have Pdon and you want to stall in the rain for a bit, Tentacruel is a cool option

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Shame xern commonly carries focus blast (or hp ground which is meh) mostly due to yknow actually injuring fairy resists. Not to mention +2 moonblast does absolute shittons to ferro.

Mega Ray can also viably run fire blast which shits on ferro. Also ferro is dark void bait which is iffy in itself. I feel you're hyping it way too much when although it beats kyogre, it fares horrendously against the other top threats in the meta. The fact that you're advising tr got ferro is baffling as well since if you really needed something to set tr, then you'd want A mon that can properly abuse it which ferro doesn't.
I have seen neither Focus Miss nor Fire Blast on Xerneas and Rayquaza respectively, but your second point is worth addressing. Ferrothorn is not a powerhouse, but a wall. I know the term "wall" should be used tentatively in Doubles formats due to their rapid pace, but Ferrothorn certainly fits the description. Cresselia + Primal Groudon + Ferrothorn operates an excellent core, and though the first two provide little offensive pressure, this is mitigated by Primal Groudon and other teammates such as Kangaskhan or Xerneas. I see your perspective as a valid one, though I disagree.

After playing and watching for a while, I learned that running a P-Kyogre definitely needs a weather killer support in the back,since P-Don almost always switches in against it and P-Don is almost in every team. I can say it's kinda mean P-Kyogre is treated this way. So, more often than not, it is not favorable for Kyogre to stay in the field for too long. However, with support in the back, people will be more wary to switch P-Don in, since it gets destroyed by an opponent switching in a weather killer.

Having Rayquaza in the back is probably the best way to do this, not only for obvious reasons
but also because of the fact that it can be overlooked by opponents as a weather killer as well.

I won't be surprised if people do forget that (In fact, I did see it happen a few times, although it is low ladder). With this, P-Kyogre can actually act as a bait for a P-Don switch!
Although of course this will only work early on. Once the metagame settles people will be more wary of it.

Last edited:
I've found myself to see that both of you are indeed very right CorruptedOmega7 and Haruno . Though, I would like to think of Ferrothorn as a very niche replacement for Mawile on Trick Room that can win much more easily against Primal Kyogre, and faces a worse matchup against Mega Ray and Primal Groudon instead of something that could be immediately recognized as good.

Edit: lol focus blast xern more like focus miss xern

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
OK time to make the comment on this. The most popular and effective playstyle and that is Skill Swap Cress + Offensive PDon.

Tips on teambuilding to beat this strategy anyone?

that's easy, stop thinking that you can only damage PDon with Ground-type moves and start bashing it with strong Special attacks. People have a big problem of thinking "oh oh I'm weak to pdon let's slap on a ground mon LOL", while stuff like Specs Hydra + chip spread can work just as well.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 153-183 (87.4 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

And let's be honest, if your team can ONLY handle PDon with Ground moves, the team is problematic even without factoring in SS Cress support.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
OK time to make the comment on this. The most popular and effective playstyle and that is Skill Swap Cress + Offensive PDon.

Use POrge

Hit it. Hard. With special attacks. Whether this is LO Hydrei like Talenheim suggested, boosting Megas like MegaMence, or even like not Fairy-spamming Mega Gardy, since it can learn moves other than Hyper Voice. The fact is, with the power creep coming up in this meta, Pdon's SpDef isn't all that great (despite being like 90), so as long as you're able to just wear away at it, it'll eventualy die. Also you should play smart with your Porge if you see a Pdon on the team since you're going to want to win the weather war, so it's probably better to not lead with your weather setter, unless you have both.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
that's easy, stop thinking that you can only damage PDon with Ground-type moves and start bashing it with strong Special attacks. People have a big problem of thinking "oh oh I'm weak to pdon let's slap on a ground mon LOL", while stuff like Specs Hydra + chip spread can work just as well.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 153-183 (87.4 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

And let's be honest, if your team can ONLY handle PDon with Ground moves, the team is problematic even without factoring in SS Cress support.
I've been using Hydreigon myself, but even with a Modest Nature it can't OHKO 252 HP Primal Groudon or Cresselia. I've found Hydreigon is often a liability because it's utter set-up bait for Xerneas. As long as there is a Xern on the other team, you really can't risk bringing it to the battle.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I've been using Hydreigon myself, but even with a Modest Nature it can't OHKO 252 HP Primal Groudon or Cresselia. I've found Hydreigon is often a liability because it's utter set-up bait for Xerneas. As long as there is a Xern on the other team, you really can't risk bringing it to the battle.
I seen most Cress + PDon teams have Trick Room meaning it wouldn't be investing into speed, just for a clarification. But specs KW can dominate this duo with Turboblaze + Earth Power.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
I seen most Cress + PDon teams have Trick Room meaning it wouldn't be investing into speed, just for a clarification. But specs KW can dominate this duo with Turboblaze + Earth Power.
Modest Specs Hydreigon still doesn't OHKO PDon reliably, and neither does White Kyurem's Earth Power.

EDIT: w LO White Kyurem can OHKO

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Modest Specs still doesn't kill PDon if I calced correctly, and neither does White Kyurem's Earth Power.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 224-264 (108.2 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

but of course you can launch draco metoer but that can make you lose momentum and in some cases allows the opponent to set up

252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 241-285 (116.4 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed 252 SpA
Choice SpecsTurboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 220-259 (106.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 224-264 (108.2 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

but of course you can launch draco metoer but that can make you lose momentum and in some cases allows the opponent to set up

252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 241-285 (116.4 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed 252 SpA
Choice SpecsTurboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 220-259 (106.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
was talking about Modest Specs Hyreigon

what's also funny is that Yveltal is such a lord that it allows for the OHKO

Also after day 1 I've compiled a list of sets on mons that struck me as possibly viable/really good/incredibly niche in the future of the VGC 2016 meta game, and I have it below.
Heads up that throughout the entire process I payed no attention to EV spreads so don't tell me to redo a spread for any reason. I also included them in order from when I found them in the teambuilder.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Protect

Bisharp can't switch in at all this year so Focus Sash is on there (I guess Life Orb could be really good since it deals tons of damage). Sucker Punch gets boosted by Dark Aura and is priority which is neat, and Iron Head kills Xerneas after boosts (it needs none if it's Life Orb).
This struck me as viable because Mega Salamence and Mega Mawile are like gods tbh and they have Intimidate in their base forms. Also Xerneas Moonblast drops onto Bisharp are hilarious.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Knock Off
- Protect

Ferrothorn hits really hard with Gyro Ball/Power Whip and help beat Xerneas and Primal Kyogre really easily for a team, but it's incredibly niche because lots of stuff, regardless of whether or not it's physical, can take it down quickly. Leech Seed works as a sort of late game stally tactic sometimes.
It struck me as viable because it wasn't as weak to Xerneas and Primal Kyogre as Mega Mawile was, but it seems to be incredibly niche.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Gardevoir gets its main attacking STAB boosted by Fairy Aura if it's paired with Xerneas which I liked. Psychic>Psyshock because Psychic can actually hit Primal Groudon, and Will-o-Wisp in the third slot to burn some of the slower physical attackers like Mega Mawile or Adamant Mega Kangaskhan.
This struck me as viable just barely, because it hits really hard with Fairy Aura boosts. However, it does tend to get Xerneas walled a lot easier, and it's very frail and upsettingly slow.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

It hits incredibly hard with Fusion Bolt/Dragon Claw, its main two STABs, and with a Choice Scarf it can easily OHKO things like Xerneas and Mega Rayquaza before they even have a chance to move.
This struck me as viable because it beats Mega Ray and Xerneas really easily.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn / Knock Off

This thing can still bounce around like it used to and it hits things like Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon with fast STAB Earthquakes. It can also opt for Knock Off to get rid of important items like Power Herb on Xerneas, which can be useful in locking Xerneas into Geomancy for the next turn.
This thing is definitely viable because it can hit things really hard with STAB Earthquakes and bounce around, keeping its Intimidate ready, aimed, and fired.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Return
- High Jump Kick

This can be useful for gimmicky things like supporting Dark Void Smeargle, but is also useful in setting up Xerneas with the fastest Fake Out support in the game, bar Choice Scarf Shiftry in Sun. It also kills Mega Kangaskhan, taking resisted Sucker Punches, and can Encore things into Fake Out and Protect and whatnot.
This one was obviously viable because it just has so many great ways to help Xerneas and whatnot set up easily.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

This can hit certain things really hard I guess and has Will-o-wisp support. It also walls some Mega Rayquaza variants as well as Primal Groudon, which is really neat (though Primal Groudon walls Rotom-W back unless you switch out of superdrought :B)
This was really only considerably viable because of the stuff above.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off / Feint
- Protect

Bug Bite can hurt Cresselia that try to set up Trick Room and Bullet Punch snipes Xerneas unlike Mega Mawile. Knock Off can remove items and is boosted by Dark Aura I guess but Feint can be used as well to break Protect and Wide Guard.
I think it is definitely useable since it can take out Xerneas easier than Mega Mawile, but there's not much outside of that. It's also not weak to Precipice Blades but that doesn't really matter because Primal Groudon has Fire Punch/Overheat lol.

Serperior @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare
- Protect

Leaf Storm hits things like the Primals and boosts Special Attack while Dragon Pulse hits Dragons and things that would resist Leaf Storm. Glare is an option to provide speed control.
I thought it would be kind of neat with Leaf Storm boosts and how well a +2 Serperior does against things like the primals.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psychic
- Slack Off

With its incredibly high defense stat it could probably set Trick Room up really easily, and Scald provides coverage/possible burns and Psychic also provides coverage. Slack Off restores HP if necessary.
I thought it might be a really cool TR setter with all of the physical mons flying around, and since Hitmontop/Scrafty are really good Fake Out users the lowering of their attack increases how bulky it seems.

Sylveon @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 228 HP / 28 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Psych Up
- Protect

I thought this might be neat when paired up with Xerneas because of the Hyper Voice spam, like with what I said about Mega Gardevoir. It still gets walled by lots of things, but that doesn't stop Psych Up from copying the Geomancy boosts and ruining things.

Talonflame @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn / Taunt / Tailwind / Quick Guard
- Taunt / Protect

Banded Talonflame ensures that you pick up the KO on lots of these bulky mons, U-turn lets you bounce around and stuff. Taunt can stop things like Trick Room but it's really weird with a Choice Band.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt / Role Play
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Thundurus is good just like every year that it's legal, and Thunder Wave/Taunt just ruin some things. Thunderbolt is good for coverage obviously, but Role Play is a cool thing to run over Taunt to reset your Rain/Sun or steal Fairy Aura as your own Mawile takes out the opposing Xerneas or some really situational things.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Protect

Hurricane is cool next to Primal Kyogre and Tornadus is one of the strongest abusers of it so I thought it might be viable. I just filled the rest of the slots with coverage.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

Outspeeds both Dragons and gets STAB Knock Off which gets Dark Aura boosts (reminder that Weavile can beat Yveltal \o/). Ice Shard gives priority, and Fake Out is really cool because Weavile has the fastest Fake Out in the game.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Serious Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Leftovers over Weakness Policy because it's not taking Precipice Blades/Fire Punch and even if it could you do not want it to ever at all. Wide Guard helps to stop things like Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse but please do not use Germanslash ._.

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Trick Room
- Protect

Telepathy is from a very very very small Japan only event and requires a Modest Nature to use, so I wouldn't use it on PS! if you don't think you can get it in game. It's a pretty straightforward mon and a very bulky Trick Room setter.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Perish Song / Disable / Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp / Disable / Taunt / Skill Swap
- Protect

Perish Trap is a really old strat and it might not work nearly as well as it did in other meta games, but it's probably still got some perks to having it. Disable+Shadow Tag is really cool for stopping things like Yveltal Sucker Punch from happening and whatnot. Skill Swap can be used to trap an opposing Primal Groudon and reset your Rain with Primal Kyogre to get neat KOs, but right now it's a theoretical thing.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind

Giratina-O sounds like something really strong and really bulky that can provide good support and it's probably one of the coolest mons imo. It helps against the Cresselia/Primal Groudon/Mega Kangaskhan core that people have been fascinated with lately and adds speed to your team by using Tailwind.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Gunk Shot hits Xerneas really hard especially with STAB from Protean. Ice Beam helps deal damage to Mega Mence and Mega Ray, which it outspeeds. Grass Knot hits the Primals really hard since they're sooo heavy. I thought with this coverage it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it, though I haven't given it a shot yet.

Groudon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Precipice Blades hits really hard, so does Fire Punch (though it loses STAB rip), and Stone Edge and Iron Head.
I thought it might be viable, but only when the opponent doesn't have a Kyogre staring you down, and since you're not bringing it against Kyogre anyway it might as well just go for Adamant's immediate power.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Rock Polish
- Protect

I mean really you knew this was coming. Primal Groudon is literally the best mon in the meta game right now, with amazing bulk and an incredibly high attack stat and stuff. The third slot can run pretty much anything tbh.

Ho-Oh @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
-
- Protect

This thing hits really hard and has a move that burns like 10x more often than Scald. Also, I didn't know what to run in the third slot, but it could be anything like Roost or Tailwind really. It's the most OG Smogon burd too.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Fake Out/Double-Edge/Power-Up Punch/Sucker Punch. Literally who needs an explanation (btw Sucker Punch gets boosted by Dark Aura!!)

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Even more niche than regular Groudon, regular Kyogre barely fits, if at all.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Modest Nature
- Water Spout / Ice Beam
- Origin Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

This thing hits incredibly hard, and I love it so much. Water Spout hits like a truck (but Ice Beam can hit Primal Groudon outside of Rain), Origin Pulse hits like a weaker truck but still like a truck, and Thunderbolt>Thunder for if it's out of Rain.

Kyurem-White @ Leftovers
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Flare
- Substitute
- Protect
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Flare
- Dragon Pulse

Two sets I wanted to include. One was a sub set that could stay in on Rain and stuff and deal huge amounts of damage with Ice Beam, while the other one is a Choice Scarf set meant to kill opposing Dragons, but I couldn't find good enough coverage tbh.

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Guard
- Protect

A really cool idea was that you could bop a boosted Xerneas AND kill Mega Kangaskhan in one mon, and that's it right here. Quick Guard is good for stopping things like Prankster Encore or whatever comes your way (even other Brave Birds, Mega Rayquaza ESpeed, etc).

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

Two of its most used moves get boosted by BOTH Auras, and the other one just comes in handy against Xerneas. Play Rough hits like a fucking truck, and Sucker Punch can OHKO lots of frail mons that can't stand the power of Mega Mawile (assuming it's Dark Aura boosted) which is why Mega Mawile is one of my favorite mons. It also, with the help of a fast Life Orb Yveltal, can get rid of less bulky Primal Groudon's really easily.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite X
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Low Kick
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

I guess it could be useful since it's not weak to the prevalant Sucker Punches (I'm not even kidding it's on Yveltal/Mega Kangaskhan/Mega Mawile and even weirder places), and it hits things like the primals hard with Low Kick. It also can Aqua Tail a Primal Groudon while you switch-in something that can remove the Harsh Sun.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Mewtwonite Y
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

It can hit some of the dark types really well, and it's immune to Smeargle's Dark Void I guess.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Quiet Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Hydro Pump
- Trick Room
- Protect

It hits incredibly hard and provides Trick Room, not much to say here. Telepathy, if you can even GET one from the Japan event that happened this year, requires a Timid nature which is sort of an upset for a Trick Room setter.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed / Fire Blast
- Swords Dance / Dragon Dance
- Protect

Swords Dance lets you hit waaaay harder while Dragon Dance lets you get faster while hitting with less force. Extreme Speed gives you a priority option while Fire Blast hits Mawile and Ferrothorn. Your pick really.

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

I thought this might be a good set to use because it hits lots of things really really hard and has much stronger Blue Flares to offer than Kyurem-White.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Aqua Tail / Dragon Dance
- Protect

This thing is better than sex oml. It outspeeds and OHKOs Mega Rayquaza pre and post Mega Evolution, and it hits reaaally hard with Double-Edge. Dragon Dance boosts your attack and speed and allows you to hit really hard/outspeed scarfs while Aqua Tail can help get rid of Primal Groudon if there's no Heavy Drought.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast / Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Xerneas with Geomancy can hit really hard and boost your sdef, which is really useful. Dazzling Gleam gets blocked by Wide Guard and is much MUCH weaker than Moonblast, but is of course spread. Focus Blast aka Focus Miss gets some really cool KOs and does important damage.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Tailwind
- Protect

By far my favorite set, this outspeeds all Primal Groudon and can Foul Play them for a ton of damage. It can also provide the team support with Tailwind and Dark Aura which with Sucker Punch is like the most fun thing of all time lol.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Zen Headbutt
- Crunch

Scarf Zekrom is something I don't think would really that good, but like most of the other sets I have not tried it before.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat

I don't think this would even be that great at all, but I have confidence that Final Gambit can get some very important KOs despite everything having a higher base HP stat.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

It's a really fast electric type spamming Thunder, what more could you want?

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Protect

Follow Me support is something that people could really need on a team, and something immune to Precipice Blades that can spam Air Slash flinches under Tailwind that it provides can sound monstrous.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Helping Hand
- Lunar Dance / Helping Hand

Trick Room is something that could definitely be threatening in this meta game, and Cresselia is a Trick Room setter with very unique support, higher bulk, and better defensive matchups than Palkia and Dialga have. I like Lunar Dance because you can very quickly move a more offensive mon into that slot instead of having a shitsack taking that space while restoring its HP and status to normal.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs / Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Earth Power
- Heat Wave / Fire Blast / Protect

Hydreigon actually hits incredibly hard compared to other dragons, and there's really no competition as to which one you should use to do things like beat Primal Groudon and such. I would imagine a Scarf set to be best because it can outspeed and OHKO other faster dragons, and Dark Pulse+Dark Aura is as previously mentioned very annoying.

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Quash
- Foul Play
- Swagger

Working pretty well with Yveltal imo, Sableye's unique support allows it to do a ton for a team and it sounds hot. Will-o-wisp doesn't affect Foul Play damage unless the user is burned, so you can burn everything and still do the same with Foul Play. Quash is really useful with Prankster because it lets Yveltal go before faster things like Mega Kangaskhan and whatnot, and gives a slight edge during Trick Room. Foul Play is, as previously stated, Dark Aura boosted, and Swagger+Foul Play is no joke.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

This sounds like something to try with Primal Kyogre, it hits like a truck tbh.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

This, like Swampert, could be used next to its respective Primal and deal some serious damage. Sleep Powder is probably the most useful and annoying thing in the game.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Magic Coat / Transform / pretty much anything else
- Follow Me / Transform / pretty much anything else
- Spiky Shield

Dark Void is really useful tbh, and Magic Coat can bounce back Dark Void/Taunt. Follow Me is an option to redirect attacks away from your partners, and Transform lets Smeargle serve another purpose after it has used Dark Void already. There are loads of options though, like Fake Out and Wide Guard.
There's also this set

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- something
- something
- something

Scarf Smeargle is something people have used very much in the past and nobody likes scarf spread sleep ._.
when i get home i'll do this
when i get home i'll do this

I'll keep updating this when I have time/when I find more cool sets.

Last edited:
I've been having lots of fun with Life Orb Kyurem-W in Tailwind. It hits so frikkin' hard, and it has really nice coverage. It's also one of few things that can OHKO PDon in Intense Sun.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Talonflame @ Choice Band / Life Orb
LOL Never use Life Orb TFlame.

But on a more serious note I have recomendations to that list.
YOU DIDN'T ADD CRESSELIA WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!? Hitmontop is also really cool since it has Fake Out, Intimidate and Dual Guard making have a lot of utility.

Yveltal
Life Orb isn't needed to kill anything in particular so go with Black Glasses
Roost is amazing and I have found it more useful than Tailwind and Taunt is also cool for stopping Smeargle... wait a minute Smeargle isn't on the list either.

Giritina Altered is bulkier than Origin I think.

SpD Tran is still good on specific builds but unfortunately it loses to super effective moves.

Mewtwo with LO is cool. It is really fast.

You mention scarf Reshiram but not scarf Zekrom -_-

Follow Me Togekiss is annoying if your PDon doesn't have rock coverage.

Any Prankster user pretty much

Ludicolo + POgre

Amoonguss

and finally Gothiitelle

Use Follow Me, it fucks partner setups like Skill Swap + Pdon/heatran and TerraCott. Togekiss is probably best; toss Thunder Wave on it for Xerneas too. Not like it runs Lum Berry.
After that, as posted above, pummel with strong Special mons; Landorus-I might actually be funny for this.

Oh, you can use Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail too, fucks up Cresselia hard and gets rid of Skill Swapped abilities.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Spiky Shield
- Dark Void
- Fake Out
- Transform

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Protect
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 116 Def / 224 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Aegislash @ Iron Ball
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Gyro Ball
- Swagger

You're welcome friends. Aegis is trash sadly but eh had nothing better to put on. Games are usually decided within 2 turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)