Intimidate -> Huge Power
Currently Unnamed
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sdef
Adamant
- Rough Play
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Thunderpunch
Might want to run Protect over Thunderpunch, it gives more versatility and defensive options. That's just my two cents.

Hullo out there.
So, I'm no where near new to the competitive scene (long time lurker here) and I had my first official VGC experience last spring at my local Regionals (4-4, not awful for my first experience, and an imperfect team as far as IVs go). So, onward to the question!

So, I ready have a decent team that I've been testing in Showdown that I really like, so I am beginning to breed in game. And, seeing as how much easier it is to get perfect IVs, I'm actually trying his time around. And I have gotten to Rotom, and I'm sure you guys know how annoying he is to breed... Moving on.

So, I am using a 4 IV Rotom and a 3 IV Ditto as the parents. And i have ben checking the IVs of each 4IV Rotom that this pair produces. The most recent of these has 31 in Hp/Satk/Sdef/Spd. Most of the important ones. The only perfect stat it is missing is Defense, and when I checked it was 28-29. Not bad at all. Finally, to the actual question.

Is this okay? I mean, obviously it is pretty good, but the one area that I'm not the greatest at is figuring out which specific Pokemon are threats that I should be fully prepared for. So, is there any reason that I should I keep going for a perfect one, or should I be fine where it is? Here is the spread I had in mind for it:

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Modest
252 HP/ 252 Satk/ 4 SDef
Discharge
Will-O-Wisp
Hydro Pump
protect

His purpose is to be a bulky, late-game tank ideally paired with Garchomp for a nice DisQuake combo. This pair has won me many games on Showdown. Ideally, the opponents physical things should be burned at this point, and yeah. Any help advice would be appreciated. I'm not really looking for team advice, just specifically on the Rotom. And I will most likely look for a better EV spread later on (this I just a basic one for right now, again, I'm not very good at looking for specific threats and specific spreads to counter them yet; but practice makes perfect and I have been doing a bunch of research on the topic. So, I'm coming along).

Another slightly off-topic question: where should I post if I am looking for Friend Safaris (specifically Ditto)? I imagine one of the Wi-Fi threads, bit I'm not very well acquainted with these forms and it is fairly intimidating... Help, please?

Lastly, I'm sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to give as much background as possible in order to possibly get a better response. If there is a better place and/or better way for me to ask these things in the future, suggestions for that would be helpful, too.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well 28-29 is a one-point drop in Defense. Is that a big enough deal for you to continue breeding for a perfect one or good enough to you? Only you can decide that. I personally wouldn't settle but objectively, it's pretty unlikely to matter. As far as Discharge, if you're not running it alongside Thunderbolt you really want to make sure all your non-Ground pokémon have Protect available or a similar move. The chance to paralyze your ally is even more crippling than the raw damage.

I think the Simple Questions/Requests stickied thread in Wi-Fi handles Safari requests and other minor (items, etc.) trades. If you're looking for a lot of stuff and have numerous things to trade off, you can make your own trade thread instead but for Safari specifically, you're best off visiting the IRC channel at #safari to chat with people. Or just visit the list they maintain at (( http://goo.my/fclist )), contact some Ditto safari owners and perhaps one will add you on request.

You can also browse trade threads to see if anybody has 6IV Dittos from Bank, which just got re-released (if people didn't get them before). I've heard the going rate is 48 BP (Battle Points from Maison/Instutute), though of course it always depends on who you're dealing with. Real easy to breed if you can get one of those.

Well 28-29 is a one-point drop in Defense. Is that a big enough deal for you to continue breeding for a perfect one or good enough to you? Only you can decide that. I personally wouldn't settle but objectively, it's pretty unlikely to matter. As far as Discharge, if you're not running it alongside Thunderbolt you really want to make sure all your non-Ground pokémon have Protect available or a similar move. The chance to paralyze your ally is even more crippling than the raw damage.

I think the Simple Questions/Requests stickied thread in Wi-Fi handles Safari requests and other minor (items, etc.) trades. If you're looking for a lot of stuff and have numerous things to trade off, you can make your own trade thread instead but for Safari specifically, you're best off visiting the IRC channel at #safari to chat with people. Or just visit the list they maintain at (( http://goo.my/fclist )), contact some Ditto safari owners and perhaps one will add you on request.

You can also browse trade threads to see if anybody has 6IV Dittos from Bank, which just got re-released (if people didn't get them before). I've heard the going rate is 48 BP (Battle Points from Maison/Instutute), though of course it always depends on who you're dealing with. Real easy to breed if you can get one of those.
I knew it would only be a point drop or so, but I was just worried that the point would be the difference between a KO and surviving. I'll at least set this Rotom aside with the others I have already fully bred and possibly try for absolutely flawless at a later date. And yes, I do run Protect on everything. I'll probably post an RMT after I get some more testing and breeding done.

I'll check there for the Safaris. I've got a few things that I could probably trade. I'll look around and see what I can see.

Oh, I know about them Dittos.... My friend got a 6IV Japanese Ditto... So he's got the ultimate Masuda method breeding tool. I'll probably see if I can borrow it at one point if I never find any of my own... and what was that about BP? You can transfer BP like that? The way you phrased it makes it sound like a purchase of some sort... Is that what it is with Battle Points? I didn't know you could do anything like that. Cool.

Thanks for the advice!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You can't give BP away directly. Most of the competitively useful hold items (Choice Scarf, Life Orb, etc.) cost 48 BP and traders looking for those specific items will have you attach those to a throwaway for trade. A lot of people are lazy and don't feel like grinding Maison long enough to buy them, especially if they already have other commodities (good 5-6IV mons) they can just trade for them.

Trying to build a decent VGC team. I've got a pretty solid core in MBlastoise/Mamoswine/Trevenant, and I'm thinking Conkeldurr would be a good addition. I can't figure out what would be good for the other two slots, though. I've currently got Aromatisse/Reuniclus so that I've got a 3-Pokemon Trick Room core and a 3-Pokemon non-trick Room core, but it seems like I don't use Aromatisse often enough. I adore Heal Pulse for its shock factor, but often that's all Aromatisse ends up doing turn after turn.

The core:

Mega Blastoise @Blastoisite Protect/Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere
Mamoswine Expert Belt Protect/EQ/Rock Slide/Ice Shard
Trevenant @Sitrus Berry Protect/Will o wisp/Horn Leech/Phantom Force

Additional:
Conkeldurr @Assault Vest Mach Punch/Drain Punch/Rock Slide/??? (Currently Return)
Reuniclus @Wise Glasses Psychic/Shadow Ball/Recover/??? (Currently Trick Room)
Aromatisse Leftovers Trick Room/Heal Pulse/Protect/Moonblast

The main three actually play really well off each other. Blastoise is weak to Grass and Electric, Electric is covered by Mamo (except Rotom W, who is covered by Trev). Grass is threatened by Mamoswine even though it's weak to it, since most of the Grass-types in VGC are dual typed to something weak to EQ. Mamo is weak to Water (trev), grass (see previous), steel (scared of EQ) and fighting (covered by Trev). Trevenant is weak to fire (Blastoise), ice (Blastoise), flying (Mamo), and dark (Blastoise), with a reciprocal ghost weakness that can be played around.

I was thinking something to take care of opposing Grass-types better than Mamoswine, but the only things I can think of are Charizard and Talonflame, and I hate hate hate their 4x rock weakness. I also have nothing to check Fairies, but they're not really threatening to anything except Conkeldurr. So yeah. Any advice?

For grass types I'd recommend chandalure. He works well in trick room, resists fairy, and melts any grass type other than ludicolo. It does give more ghost weakness so maybe switch him for reuniclus. He can also kill most fairys just watch for sucker punch and aqua jet.

Trying to build a decent VGC team. I've got a pretty solid core in MBlastoise/Mamoswine/Trevenant, and I'm thinking Conkeldurr would be a good addition. I can't figure out what would be good for the other two slots, though. I've currently got Aromatisse/Reuniclus so that I've got a 3-Pokemon Trick Room core and a 3-Pokemon non-trick Room core, but it seems like I don't use Aromatisse often enough. I adore Heal Pulse for its shock factor, but often that's all Aromatisse ends up doing turn after turn.

The core:

Mega Blastoise @Blastoisite Protect/Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere
Mamoswine Expert Belt Protect/EQ/Rock Slide/Ice Shard
Trevenant @Sitrus Berry Protect/Will o wisp/Horn Leech/Phantom Force

Additional:
Conkeldurr @Assault Vest Mach Punch/Drain Punch/Rock Slide/??? (Currently Return)
Reuniclus @Wise Glasses Psychic/Shadow Ball/Recover/??? (Currently Trick Room)
Aromatisse Leftovers Trick Room/Heal Pulse/Protect/Moonblast

The main three actually play really well off each other. Blastoise is weak to Grass and Electric, Electric is covered by Mamo (except Rotom W, who is covered by Trev). Grass is threatened by Mamoswine even though it's weak to it, since most of the Grass-types in VGC are dual typed to something weak to EQ. Mamo is weak to Water (trev), grass (see previous), steel (scared of EQ) and fighting (covered by Trev). Trevenant is weak to fire (Blastoise), ice (Blastoise), flying (Mamo), and dark (Blastoise), with a reciprocal ghost weakness that can be played around.

I was thinking something to take care of opposing Grass-types better than Mamoswine, but the only things I can think of are Charizard and Talonflame, and I hate hate hate their 4x rock weakness. I also have nothing to check Fairies, but they're not really threatening to anything except Conkeldurr. So yeah. Any advice?
(Color coding it to keep it as concise is possible)

I think Blastoise would be better off with Muddy Water or Surf over Water Pulse. His ability may make it stronger, but from my experience spread damage is better and Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere already get boosted anyway so the ability won't go to waste.
I prefer my Mamoswine to run either Icicle Spear or Icicle Crash along with Ice Shard and opt out of Rock Slide, but that's just my preference. Rock Slide works fine. However, I would recommend a Life Orb over the Expert Belt and make sure you're using Thick Fat Mamoswine (That is legal, right?).
Trevenant seems fine. If you're looking for more power try Wood Hammer over Horn Leech. Again that is preference, either works.
Put Detect on Conkeldurr, he needs a defensive option. Swap out Assault Vest for Flame Orb. Guts boost is better than a Special Defense boost.
Reuniclus would appreciate a Lum Berry or Mental Herb much more than Wise Glasses. Allows it to set up Trick Room more easily. Experiment using Protect over Recover, find out which you prefer.
Aromatisse also has Aromatherapy if you want to try to mess around with that. Not sure how well Heal Pulse works, but if you can make work with it then go for it.

I'm not quite sure that grass types would be that much of a threat to your team, yet if you really want to cover that, I second czechm8's choice of Chandelure. Heat Wave is a very solid option against Grass types and Chandelure shouldn't add too much of a type imbalance to the team. If you're really that afraid of Fairies Trevenant learns Poison Jab, though I'm not sure how effective that would actually be. Might want to research Scizor if you're not comfy with them.

Last edited:
(Color coding it to keep it as concise is possible)

I think Blastoise would be better off with Muddy Water or Surf over Water Pulse. His ability may make it stronger, but from my experience spread damage is better and Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere already get boosted anyway so the ability won't go to waste.
I prefer my Mamoswine to run either Icicle Spear or Icicle Crash along with Ice Shard and opt out of Rock Slide, but that's just my preference. Rock Slide works fine. However, I would recommend a Life Orb over the Expert Belt and make sure you're using Thick Fat Mamoswine (That is legal, right?).
Trevenant seems fine. If you're looking for more power try Wood Hammer over Horn Leech. Again that is preference, either works.
Put Detect on Conkeldurr, he needs a defensive option. Swap out Assault Vest for Flame Orb. Guts boost is better than a Special Defense boost.
Reuniclus would appreciate a Lum Berry or Mental Herb much more than Wise Glasses. Allows it to set up Trick Room more easily. Experiment using Protect over Recover, find out which you prefer.
Aromatisse also has Aromatherapy if you want to try to mess around with that. Not sure how well Heal Pulse works, but if you can make work with it then go for it.

I'm not quite sure that grass types would be that much of a threat to your team, yet if you really want to cover that, I second czechm8's choice of Chandelure. Heat Wave is a very solid option against Grass types and Chandelure shouldn't add too much of a type imbalance to the team. If you're really that afraid of Fairies Trevenant learns Poison Jab, though I'm not sure how effective that would actually be. Might want to research Scizor if you're not comfy with them.
First off, thanks for the response!

I hadn't considered Surf on Blastoise, but now that you mention it I'll have to try it.

The reason I've got Expert Belt over Life Orb is that the EV spread is carefully designed to make it survive just about anything. I had a Life Orb on, and in the one tournament I used it in I fainted due to Life Orb recoil three times. I'd rather survive, do a little less damage, and then Ice Shard before I die. Rock Slide is there for Talonflame mainly, plus it's got great coverage. The flinch is also handy, since Mamo's faster than enough Pokemon to make a difference.

Conkeldurr I'll try, but I do appreciate the bulk.

As far as Aromatisse goes, my problem is I really want 5 moves. I had it running Protect/TR/Aromatherapy/Heal Pulse, but more than once it came down to just Aromatisse left alive with no attacking moves. No bueno. But Heal Pulse is golden, especially with partners like Mamo and M-Blastoise who have no recovery.

I'm breeding up a Chandelure now to try. I'm not really afraid of Fairies, it was just a hole I noticed. Thanks for all the advice, though!

First off, thanks for the response!

I hadn't considered Surf on Blastoise, but now that you mention it I'll have to try it.

The reason I've got Expert Belt over Life Orb is that the EV spread is carefully designed to make it survive just about anything. I had a Life Orb on, and in the one tournament I used it in I fainted due to Life Orb recoil three times. I'd rather survive, do a little less damage, and then Ice Shard before I die. Rock Slide is there for Talonflame mainly, plus it's got great coverage. The flinch is also handy, since Mamo's faster than enough Pokemon to make a difference.

Conkeldurr I'll try, but I do appreciate the bulk.

As far as Aromatisse goes, my problem is I really want 5 moves. I had it running Protect/TR/Aromatherapy/Heal Pulse, but more than once it came down to just Aromatisse left alive with no attacking moves. No bueno. But Heal Pulse is golden, especially with partners like Mamo and M-Blastoise who have no recovery.

I'm breeding up a Chandelure now to try. I'm not really afraid of Fairies, it was just a hole I noticed. Thanks for all the advice, though!
Don't forget to also consider Muddy Water on Blastoise. It's easier to work with since it won't hit teammates. Also if you're doing that with Mamoswine then keep the Expert Belt. Kind of a shame we don't have an Ice Gem right now though, blame Gamefreak for that. Anyway, Mamoswine is fine, I wouldn't say to change anything unless you really want to. As for Aromatisse, I know how that feels. Like I said, experiment A LOT with it and see what works. It's the only cure to Pokémon with 4-move-slot-syndrome.

Last edited:

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
Are there any good youtube videos or written material that are helpful in explaning, specifically, gen 6 VGC format.

Are there any good youtube videos or written material that are helpful in explaning, specifically, gen 6 VGC format.
In terms of explaining it, if you mean the rules there is the VGC 2014 Rules thread. Check the spoiler in the thread showing the fully evolved available Pokémon and pay attention to the bolded ones as those are the things you're most likely to see. I'm not too sure on videos, I know TheJustinFlynn used to do VGC practice with the viewers if you want to see how it is like. Check his past broadcasts for that. Sorry, I don't really know many resources.

Is Jolly recommended on Mega Kangaskhan in VGC?
I know it's the most common nature ran but by looking at the speedtiers there isn't a whole lot that's super relevant to outspeed, especially not considering you have Sucker Punch.
I guess you outspeed regular Lucario, Hydreigon and you tie with all the other base 100s with positive nature's which I guess is good when that's still common.

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
Sorry, I don't really know many resources.
Don't worry about many others don't

@ Lecia I'm learning the teir myself, but generally when deciding what pokemon to use in any tier you want to ask yourself a few question.

1. What is my teams overall strategy/ win condition?
2. Does the pokemon and set choice align with my strategy?
3. Is there a change in the set that will provide better efficiency/ coverage?

After that it comes down to play testing and see if you were right or not. Sorry there isn't a 100% correct answer anyone could give without seeing your entire team.

I'm starting to breed for my doubles team and I already have a 31/31/31/31/31/0 solosis, but I have a few questions because I usually run a partial rain team.

How many slow pokemon should I have? They can't all have trick room, and if my setters die I'll be stuck with low speed pokemon.

How slow is slow enough? I really want a Trevenant on my team but I don't know if I should aim for 0 or 31 IV for speed.

If anyone has any trick room tips let me know. I want to run with politoed and slowking as well. (Rain to increase Slowkings power and to lower fire damage for trevenant.)

Sorry for the errors. Mobile.

I'm starting to breed for my doubles team and I already have a 31/31/31/31/31/0 solosis, but I have a few questions because I usually run a partial rain team.

How many slow pokemon should I have? They can't all have trick room, and if my setters die I'll be stuck with low speed pokemon.

How slow is slow enough? I really want a Trevenant on my team but I don't know if I should aim for 0 or 31 IV for speed.

If anyone has any trick room tips let me know. I want to run with politoed and slowking as well. (Rain to increase Slowkings power and to lower fire damage for trevenant.)

Sorry for the errors. Mobile.
Generally having at least 2 things that work outside of Trick Room is a safe option. You also have to consider Pokémon that are slow that will benefit from Trick Room, but don't necessarily need it. For example: In VGC 2013 Metagross loved Trick Room but didn't really need it to function. There's also slow priority users like Azumarill or Conkeldurr to consider. For Trevenant's speed, look up what Pokémon would benefit from Trick Room and where Trevenant ranks in there. In my opinion, I would probably go 0 considering that 56 Base Speed isn't going to really outspeed much even if you chose to max it out. Since you're running a Trick Rain team I would recommend looking into Scizor (Benefits from Trick Room and Rain, works outside of both), Mega-Mawile (Patches Fire weakness, needs Trick Room), Hydreigon (Rain boosted Surf), and Amoonguss (Patches Fire Weakness, works bettter in Trick Room but doesn't need it) just to name a few.

Generally having at least 2 things that work outside of Trick Room is a safe option. You also have to consider Pokémon that are slow that will benefit from Trick Room, but don't necessarily need it. For example: In VGC 2013 Metagross loved Trick Room but didn't really need it to function. There's also slow priority users like Azumarill or Conkeldurr to consider. For Trevenant's speed, look up what Pokémon would benefit from Trick Room and where Trevenant ranks in there. In my opinion, I would probably go 0 considering that 56 Base Speed isn't going to really outspeed much even if you chose to max it out. Since you're running a Trick Rain team I would recommend looking into Scizor (Benefits from Trick Room and Rain, works outside of both), Mega-Mawile (Patches Fire weakness, needs Trick Room), Hydreigon (Rain boosted Surf), and Amoonguss (Patches Fire Weakness, works bettter in Trick Room but doesn't need it) just to name a few.
Thanks! I was planning on running amoonguss and hydreigon seems like a really good idea. I might also add in slowking.

Thanks! I was planning on running amoonguss and hydreigon seems like a really good idea. I might also add in slowking.
Oh, I also forgot to mention, if you want more type coverage with your Trick Room setters (Since the current two are both Psychic type) consider Aromatisse. It's pretty reliable and it has some great support moves like Heal Pulse and Aromatherapy along with Fairy-type coverage. Although Slowking works just fine especially since he gets Rain boost and has some pretty interesting options like Heal Pulse, Belch, or even Flamethrower if you wanted to incorporate that somehow (I wouldn't know how to myself). Reuniclus also is fine as a reliable fallback Pokémon as well, I just want to remind you of your options. Experimenting is the best way to figure out what works.

Oh, I also forgot to mention, if you want more type coverage with your Trick Room setters (Since the current two are both Psychic type) consider Aromatisse. It's pretty reliable and it has some great support moves like Heal Pulse and Aromatherapy along with Fairy-type coverage. Although Slowking works just fine especially since he gets Rain boost and has some pretty interesting options like Heal Pulse, Belch, or even Flamethrower if you wanted to incorporate that somehow (I wouldn't know how to myself). Reuniclus also is fine as a reliable fallback Pokémon as well, I just want to remind you of your options. Experimenting is the best way to figure out what works.
I'm looking at aromatisse and it also has access to dual screens. I'll probably experiment on showdown to find a good move set.

I've seen the rules for Nintendos own tournaments when it comes to only allowing Kalos born Pokemon to compete in their tournaments and stuff... Is that true for all official competitions and various tournaments found? And If so, is it a temporary or permanent rule? Are my older gen pokemon worthless now for anything other than breeding parents? Would you guys recommend me to re-breed all? (Like 200 with pre-gen transfermoves!)

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
It changes every season. Next season they will probably allow all pokemon. For now bank pokemon are only good for breeding. That is just how VGC always have worked.

I've seen the rules for Nintendos own tournaments when it comes to only allowing Kalos born Pokemon to compete in their tournaments and stuff... Is that true for all official competitions and various tournaments found? And If so, is it a temporary or permanent rule? Are my older gen pokemon worthless now for anything other than breeding parents? Would you guys recommend me to re-breed all? (Like 200 with pre-gen transfermoves!)
Look back to what happened when B/W came out. That season, only pokemon from that dex was allowed. The same is happening now and therefore, next year, the rules will most likely include all pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)