Victreebel (QC 2/3)

jrp

Banned deucer.
We discussed this on IRC so I figured i'd post what we came up with. Furai wanted me to put in a SD set, but I have my doubts about its effectiveness so I'm testing one out.

[Overview]

• Frail
  • slower than venusaur
  • has weather ball which hits a lot harder than hidden power fire, giving it a niche over venusaur
  • outspeeds most of the tier in sun
  • destroyed by pretty much any priority

[SET]
name: Special Growth
move 1: Growth
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Weather Ball
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Ice / Sleep Powder
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Grass Knot hits a good portion of the tier for full damage
  • Weather Ball is extremely potent, able to OHKO most Dialga at +2 after hazards as well as blasting Ferrothorn and Steelceus
  • Sludge Bomb hits most of the tier neutrally, making it a good cleaning move while Sleep Powder eases the prediction required to set up successfuly

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • hazards are appreciated to guarentee certain kos at +2 (defensive dialga, Palkia, amongst others
  • modest can be used for additional power, but you lose to scarf pokemon such as genesect and palkia if you do this
  • Giga Drain increases longevity, but victreebel isn't taking any hits as it is so it can at least mitigate LO recoil
  • Solarbeam can be used to consistenly hit with 120 base power, but it gets neutered out of sun

[Other Options]
  • can run a mixed growth set, allowing it to beat latios/latias easier, but is outclassed by shiftry in this
  • a swords dance set with Power Whip and Sucker Punch can be used as well

[Checks and Counters]
  • Practically anything with priority can easily smash victreebel
  • opposing kyogre can mess up Victreebel, although they need to watch out for Grass Knot if not running Scarf (or speed investment)
  • chansey just sits there in front of victreebel, although it doesn't appreciate being poisoned by Sludge Bomb (although it can just switch out)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We talked about this on IRC, but yeah I approve the first set, you should test an all out attacking set (with Sleep Powder as a slash in for that too!), and maybe test out Encore with HP Fire. Also, I think you should slash in HP Ice on the first set, since it can let you KO Rayquaza switch-ins. Otherwise...

QC Approved 1/3

Why Grassnot over SolarBeam? There are water types to that Grassnot wont bet hat effective against.If its going to be a sun team i am guessing Sun will be out most of the time

jrp

Banned deucer.
Solarbeam has the unfortunate tendency of easing prediction for the opponent as it allows them to switch their weather starter in on a predicted Solarbeam and blasting you with with whatever move they're using. Grass Knot hits 120 base power against the majority of ubers (exceptions being rare things like Manaphy, who doesn't enjoy taking a boosted Sludge Bomb).

QC APPROVED 2/3

Actually tried this and yeah it works. Grass Knot is much better than Solar Beam lol, you hit most Ubers Groudon, Palkia, Arceus and more importantly Kyogre with base 120 anyway.

Venusaur does the Giga Drain thing better with it's better bulk. You have to mention Ho-Oh too, but you OHKO it after Stealth Rock at +2. Lugia will be annoying as well :[ it will phaze you out or just Ice Beam for some decent damage. Giratina resists both of your STABs and Hidden Power Ice doesn't do enough to it.

Rayquaza blocks weather and will OHKO you with almost any move :[ Hidden Power Ice can catch it on the switch though and Sludge Bomb 2HKOes :D

I don't think Growth is necessary since it is frail and can't really set up on much except weak shits like Forretress or Gyro Balless Ferrothorn. Setting up on Chansey is cool though as you don't fear Toxic but Seismic Toss will KO you before you kill it, unless you use Giga Drain. Hidden Power Rock needs a mention to beat Ho-Oh who is an ass to deal with for sun teams.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Yeah, it can be quite difficult to pull a growth off, I've been using it with wobb support to pull it off. I'm testing several all out attacking sets, but I'm unsure of how viable they are What i could do is just name the set "Special Attacker" with growth as a main slash

What about a mix set, with Power Whip/Sludge Bomb/Weather Ball and either Sleep Powder, Growth or some Hidden Powder in the last slot. I think it could work, with Power Whip hitting Pink Blobs and Wobbufets, as well as being able to miss is cool

QC REJECTED 1/3

Sorry jrp. :( Victreebel is just a Timid Venusaur with Weather Ball. All this does for it is allow it to hit Dialga under the Sun. That's extremely niche considering Dialga is almost always on a Rain team with a Tina(-O) which means Vbel is getting very little play time. (and Venusaur gets EQ, too) Being able to use another HP is nice but they each have their own major drawbacks that, in general, makes Sludge Bomb the better pick anyways. Just a really situational Venusaur clone (which is already a borderline Pokemon).

Jrp is no longer interested in completing this analysis. If anybody is interested in taking over please post in the analysis index.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)