SM OU Victreebel Sun Team

Intro
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting to RMT and this is my first gen 7 OU team I've put a good amount of effort into building, I usually play UU or VGC but decided to give OU a wack. I've been using the team for a couple of months now and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it performs considering it uses some unconventional mons, I managed to reach a peak in the low 1800s (very good for me) but am usually in the 1600s. Anyway I'm happy with the team and wanted to share and see what improvements i could make.

The Team
charizard-megay.gif

Hades (Charizard-Mega-Y) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Earthquake
- Roost

Zard Y is the mon I built the team around, it's got great raw power and once you get rid of Toxapex, Chansey, Tyranitar and Pelipper it usually gets a KO everytime it comes in. It's a fairly standard set, Flamethrower and Solar Beam do a lot of damage, roost so it can keep coming in even with rocks up. I chose Earthquake over Focus Blast because it doesn't miss and I run into way more Heatran than Tyranitar.

victreebel.gif

Dionysus (Victreebel) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Growth

I knew I wanted a sun sweeper and my first choice was Venusaur, but with no Heat Rock on the team Saur had a hard time getting in, setting up, and sweeping before the sun ran out. But Victreebel has Growth boosted Sucker Punch to threaten faster mons like Blacephalon, Serperior or psychic mons that will come in to revenge kill it once the sun has gone. Sucker Punch is also great for dealing Alakazam-Mega that will trace Chlorophyll and outspeed Victreebel in the sun. Overall Victreebel sacrifices a bit of bulk compared to Venusaur and gets a stronger fire move in Weather Ball (+2 Weather Ball 2 hits AV Magearna in Sun) and Sucker Punch to use out of sun or against psychics.

excadrill.gif

Hermes (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is my rock setter and spinner, it has great synergy with Charizard-Mega-Y with an electric immunity and a 4x resistance to rock. With 32 EVs in speed it outspeeds jolly Azumarill and jolly Victini after a speed drop from V-create. The rest goes into special bulk so it can take Earth Powers from Diancie-Mega and Kyurem-Black as well as HP Fire from Magnezone and Focus Blast from Magearna. With the sun up it can also easily tank water attack from Tapu Fini and Rotom-Wash and less easily tank a Hydro Pump from Ash-Greninja.

ninetales.gif

Aphrodite (Ninetales) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Extrasensory
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis

Ninetales is my secondary drought user, this comes in handy to win the weather war against rain or sand teams. It's also useful to have a couple sun options to boost Victreebel's speed with no Choice Scarf user on the team, and I'd much rather sack Ninetales instead of Charizard to a Scarf Kartana threatening a sweep. I tried a few different sets of both Torkoal and Ninetales out for this spot on the team and found that they're both pretty rubbish. This set was definitely the highlight, while unreliable it gets a sleep or a KO most games and can sweep if it hits its Fire Blasts. This Ninetales set has two main options, either Nasty Plot and Z-Extrasensory to KO a Toxapex, or Z-Hypnosis for the speed boost, Nasty Plot up and sweep. Ninetales is also handy as a lead against Landorus as Drought vs Intimidate will identify if it's scarf or not. Unfortunately this set is hard walled by Heatran and Tyranitar but at least it can sleep them on the switch.

tapufini.gif

Hera (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Whirlpool
- Taunt
- Calm Mind

Fini is the stall-breaker for this team, with Whirlpool and Taunt it can whittle down and beat Chansey and Toxapex, who often come in on Fini, that would otherwise wall Charizard. It can't 1v1 most Tyranitar variants but can get them in range of Charizard's Earthquake, which is definitely worth it. If Fini traps a pokemon that can't damage it well, like Toxapex, then Fini can Calm Mind and hit harder with Moonblast. However in my experience Calm Mind is the move I use the least, it is often better to use the Whirlpool turns to knock it out. It's also fairly common for people to leave in Stealth Rock setters against Fini thinking they'll take a bit of damage and switch out next turn, only to get trapped (Unless it's a U-turn Lando). Permanently keeping rocks away is a huge benefit on this team. I've gone for a very bulky EV spread as Fini has to switch into a lot, with an emphasis on physical bulk to better take on Lopunny-Mega, Medicham-Mega and Tyranitar.

dragonite.gif

Zeus (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Dragonite was the last member I added to this team. The spot was originally taken by a Kommo-O, which theoretically should work better as it resists rock and is grounded so can't be statused in Fini's Misty Terrain, but the Z-move slot is taken by Ninetales and all Kommo-O sets I used felt like they could only offer defence or offence, never both. Maybe someone else can come up with a better Kommo-O set than I could. This Dragonite set 6-0s a surprising amount of teams, with its bulk and Roost to reset Multiscale it can set up against Stone Edge and HP Ice Landorus, Zapdos, Koko and pretty much anything else that will try and take it on with HP Ice. Earthquake hits electric and rock pokemon that threaten Charizard and also OHKOs Tyranitar, Magearna and offensive Volcarona at +2. Extreme Speed I use more often unboosted to finish off fast sweepers like Greninja or Hawlucha. The coverage does mean Dragonite can't hit Mismagius or Drifblim, but who's seen them in OU recently? The more common mons that Dragonite has a hard time hitting are Skarmory and Celesteela, these can usually be dealt with by Charizard, Ninetales, Victreebel or Fini.

Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-891109858
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-893758710
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-894949857
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-905176246
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-880294034
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-871369290

Tapu Fini
Tapu Fini really needs scald to fully function as a support pokemon. Whirlpool is a good counter to chansey, but dealing reliable damage and spread burn is to hard to pass up.

Excadrill
Excadrill has rapid spin, which is kinda a waste of a move. Hazards are seen very rarely in Doubles and when Excadrill does spins away the hazards, it leaves it completely unsafe, being able be killed the same turn.

Haha man cool team while I was using this during my road to top 10 series I was very aggressive like my favorite youtuber thunderblunder777 but they got every 50/50 correct and hard switched a garchomp on my excadrill on spin proceeded to sweep me I got 6-0d this seems to be a common occurrence. My suggestion is you need a proper rock resist besides excadrill your reliance on getting sun then Harding victreebel on lando/garchomp isn't working for me man

Last edited:
Tapu Fini
Tapu Fini really needs scald to fully function as a support pokemon. Whirlpool is a good counter to chansey, but dealing reliable damage and spread burn is to hard to pass up.

Excadrill
Excadrill has rapid spin, which is kinda a waste of a move. Hazards are seen very rarely in Doubles and when Excadrill does spins away the hazards, it leaves it completely unsafe, being able be killed the same turn.

Ah I see my mistake in the title, it's a singles team, but with two sun setter. Thats my bad, I've changed it.

Regarding Fini, it can't burn most pokemon as misty terrain prevents grounded pokemon from being statused

I love using sun and strongly recommend some things:
- Fini's best set for this team is with Nature Madness instead of whirpool and defog to help prevent rocks damage.
- Use Torkoal instead of Ninetales with Heat Rock to set up slow rocks and explode/spin.
- Scarf Excadrill with MB should be good for the team!

Go sun team :D

Dope as fuck. I've tried a torkoal/victreebel team a few times and it's damn hard. Keep up the hustle
If the Z-extrasensory is for toxapex, can I recommend solarbeam on victreebel? it'll allow in torkoal instead of ninetales because a growth boosted solarbeam can kill the pex in 1 hit.

Back