Vivillon

Is Vivillon awesome?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
Vivillon was viewed as another sub-mediocre Bug Pokemon, another Beedrill, Dustox, (Metapod
...) until people found out about its Compound Eyes + Hurricane + Sleeping Powder maneuver. It also has one more viable use, one that could also be shared with Butterfree. However, most teams are already prepared for this setup, so you'll need to be prepared to counter their counters.
[Pros:]

<UL>
<LI> Compound Eyes patch up the accuracy of Hurricane and Sleep Powder.
<LI> Stealth Rocks aren't particularly common in VGC'14.
<LI> It is a better user of Sleep Powder than Butterfree due to its superior Speed.
</UL>

[Cons:]

<UL>
<LI> Crippling weakness against: Rock, Fire, Flying, Ice, and Electric moves. (Fire and Flying are quite common in VGC'14, as well as Weavile's Ice Shard.)
<LI> Stat boosting is usually very difficult in Double Battles because two opponents are able to end you at any given time.
<LI> Very predictable: most teams already have counters for Vivillon's Sleep + Scarf set.

Sleeping Beauty
########
Name: Sleep 'n' Psyche
Move 1: Sleep Powder
Move 2: Bug Buzz
Move 3: Hurricane
Move 4: Hidden Power (Rock)
Ability: Compound Eyes
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Sleep Powder is an obvious choice - it is the basis of the set. The rest of the moves are only for specific situations. Bug Buzz is for Meowstic - if you see one in VGC it most likely has Safeguard at its disposal, ready to ruin your Vivillon's fun. Also, if Meowstic abuses its Prankster ability and uses Substitute, Bug Buzz will hit it anyway. Hurricane is for sheer power and for that only, a 110 (165 with STAB applied) can't hurt. Hidden Power, however, is more specific to the situation than even Bug Buzz. The opponent will most likely be a Charizard-Y, and Charizard's HP must be somewhere between 77.8 - 92.6% in order to finish him. You can also guarantee that Vivillon will move first, even if Charizard-Y has 252 EVs, 31 IVs, and a nature beneficial to its Speed, (unless the opponent has used Dragon Dance.)

Set Details
========

While the paragraph above focuses on "what-ifs," the main way to use this set will be right here. Vivillon's purpose using this set isn't to make a game-changing KO of a Sweeping Charizard-Y but to support your teammate by inducing Sleep on the enemies. Vivillon will use Sleep Powder on one foe, while its teammate will use Fake Out one the other, {no exceptions! :pirate: Or you will die (lose)} Both opponents will be incapacitated for the first turn, so Vivillon will be able to safely use Sleep Powder on the second opponent, which should still be awake. While Vivillon is scattering its little bug juice on the opponent, Vivillon's teammate will work on damaging whichever opponent has more sweeping potential.

Other Info
========

The item, ability, nature, and EVs that are recommended for Vivillon are meant to increase its Speed. That really is its only job, after all, to do its job quickly. It doesn't need to come in and annihilate every Pokemon the opponent has, like Garchomp used to do, or come in to finish Pokemon easily and switch back out like Hydreigon had to do. Vivillon's sole task is using Sleep Powder before the enemy moves.

Usage Tips
========

Vivillon should be handled with care. After the two opponent on the other team's field are sleeping, the most intelligent move would be to switch Vivillon out to bring in a more suitable Pokemon for the situation. Also, if one of the two Pokemon could possibly have Inner Focus, have Vivillon use Sleep Powder on it in the first turn while its teammate Fakes Out the other, less focused, enemy.

Team Options
========

Vivillon's team is very important to the set. There is a very obvious criteria that narrows the potential suitors for Vivillon fairly quickly: the ability to use Fake Out.
Aipom
Ambipom
Blastoise
Buneary
Chimchar
Croagunk
Delcatty
Delibird
Dewgong
Glameow
Hariyama
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Infernape
Jynx
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Liepard
Lopunny
Ludicolo
Makuhita
Medicham
Meowth
Mienfoo
Mienshao
Mime Jr.
Mr. Mime
Persian
Pichu
Pikachu
Purrloin
Purugly
Raichu
Sableye
Scrafty
Scraggy
Seel
Shiftry
Skitty
Smoochum
Sneasel
Spinda
Squirtle
Toxicroak
Tyrogue
Wartortle
Weavile

Now that we have the full list of potential companions to Vivillon, I can begin to eliminate another few.
Pokemon that are NFEs are mostly only used on account of their defenses with Eviolite, but no NFEs that are able to learn Fake Out have worthy defenses.

Ambipom
Blastoise
Delibird
Delcatty
Dewgong
Hariyama
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Infernape
Jynx
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Liepard
Lopunny
Ludicolo
Medicham
Mienshao
Mr. Mime
Persian
Purugly
Raichu
Sableye
Scrafty
Shiftry
Spinda
Toxicroak
Weavile

As you can see, there are still a few Pokémon that would be completely ridiculous as Vivillon's sidekick. Pokémon that have no place competitively will also be eliminated.

Ambipom
Blastoise
Hariyama
Hitmontop
Infernape
Kangaskhan
Liepard
Ludicolo
Medicham
Mienshao
Sableye
Scrafty
Toxicroak
Weavile

The Pokemon that survived the trials of Smiddie are sparse, but still there are a few among them that stand stronger than others. Also, there are some Pokemon in the 6th generation that can learn Fake Out but I haven't listed them. I know one is Meowstic, but please reply with another if you know one.
Candidates for Vivillon's Teammate:
1. Kangaskhan - Parental Bond Fake Out is no joke
2. Hariyama - Fake Out + Guts + Flame Orb + Close Combat = massive damage
3. Meowstic - Dual Walls + Safeguard + Prankster
4. Ludicolo - Super Effective STAB on Fire and Rock (although Water is weakened against Charizard Y's Drought)
5. Blastoise - Super Effective STAB on Fire and Rock
6. Scrafty - Intimidate is an added bonus, and it can set up with Bulk Up / Dragon Dance while the enemies are sleeping
7. Toxicroak - Good power as well as increased longevity under Rain
8. Sableye - Prankster tomfoolery
9. Mienshao - Fake Out + Regenerator allow Mienshao to switch out and back in and regain HP
10. Weavile - Super Effective STAB on Flying
11. Liepard - Prankster + Swagger + Foul Play is powerful even without Vivillon, but when the opponents are asleep, they can't even hope to abuse their attack boost before Foul Play does
12. Infernape - Slightly less powerful version of Hariyama with its Fake Out + Close Combat, except with 60 power Mach Punch
13. Medicham - Fake Out as well as Mega Evolution to keep the enemies on their toes

Other Options
########

Vivillon doesn't necessarily have very many Double Battle options. While reliable Sleep Powders and Hurricanes and Quiver Dance are certainly a force to be reckoned with in Single Battles, it really isn't too much help in Double Battles because Vivillon will need to be switched in and out in order to increase its utilization.

Checks & Counters
########

Meowstic - Safeguard will ruin Vivillon's Sleep Powder
Weavile - Super Effective Ice Shard and Inner Focus to protect it from Fake Out
Crobat - Super Effective Brave Bird, Inner Focus, and incredible longevity allow it to cause more and more trouble for Vivillon throughout the battle
Mega Charizard-Y - Can't hope to be bothered by Vivillon and can toast the butterfly with ease
Honchkrow - Super Effective STAB Brave Bird and Insomnia will allow it to stay awake (although an Insomnia Honchkrow is extremely rare with Moxie. And the absence of Honchkrow altogether :p)
Garchomp - Rock Slide is easily a OHKO paired with Garchomp's attack.
Tyranitar - Super Effective STAB Rock Slide
Amoongus - Sleep Powder won't work on it, Rage Powder can redirect it, and it can survive one of Vivillon's Hurricanes.
Venusaur - Sleep Powder won't work on it and it can survive one of Vivillon's Hurricanes.
Talonflame - Super Effective STABs in Brave Bird and Flare Blitz
Klefki - Safeguard will ruin Vivillon's Sleep Powder, and it cannot be dealt with by any of Vivillon's moves.

Last edited:

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
No mention of Rock Slide in counters? Vivillon has a debilitating 4x weakness to Rock and is easily one shot by the more common users including Garchomp and Tyranitar. Also Talonflame will ohko with priority Brave Bird before Vivillon can even get off a single Sleep Powder. Klefki serves as a better counter to Vivillon than Meowstic, not only with Prankster Safeguard but it also resists its stabs.

Bulky grass types like Venusaur and Amoonguss can handle hurricane, and Amoonguss can redirect and block Sleep Powder with Rage Powder.

Mention how Bug Buzz bypasses substitutes now.

Last edited:
No mention of Rock Slide in counters? Vivillon has a debilitating 4x weakness to Rock and is easily one shot by the more common users including Garchomp and Tyranitar. Also Talonflame will ohko with priority Brave Bird before Vivillon can even get off a single Sleep Powder. Klefki serves as a better counter to Vivillon than Meowstic, not only with Prankster Safeguard but it also resists its stabs.

Bulky grass types like Venusaur and Amoonguss can handle hurricane, and Amoonguss can redirect and block Sleep Powder with Rage Powder.

Mention how Bug Buzz bypasses substitutes now.
Done

Last edited:
I'm surprised Powder isn't mentioned. It has priority & it punishes Pokemon who use any Fire attack, including Will-o-wisp. It also cancels the attack too.

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea for a Scarf - it might work one time, but I doubt the opponent would fall for it again after the first time.

Ah, didn't pay attention to the item. Okay then, what about a Focus Sash? Or Friend Guard? Are either of those worth using?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Ah, didn't pay attention to the item. Okay then, what about a Focus Sash? Or Friend Guard? Are either of those worth using?
Bad idea. Vivillon cannot even OHKO Mega Charizard Y with HP Rock. It might get the jump on Talonflame but only if it doesn't OHKO with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz first, but thats about it. Choice Scarf Vivillon is pretty much its best set and its best niche; without it its outclassed by Jumpluff and Chlorophyll Venusaur aside from the accuracy boost.

I did some calculations for you guys:
4 SpA Vivillon Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 144-172 (48.3 - 57.7%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Vivillon Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 180-216 (60.4 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Vivillon Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 216-256 (72.4 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Vivillon Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 276-328 (92.6 - 110%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

I realized it might be a good idea to invest SpA in Vivillon. Those calculations show that it would be way more helpful for Vivillon's Special Attack to be as high as possible.
Also, I'll try testing out a good Vivillon Friend Guard strategy. If you could do the same and post the replays, that would be very helpful for studying Vivillon. Thanks!

252+ SpA Choice Specs Vivillon Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 296-352 (99.3 - 118.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vivillon Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 452-536 (151.6 - 179.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 456-536 (115.7 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 348-410 (88.3 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vivillon Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 301-355 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I quite like Choice Specs on my Vivilion.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
You forget: Choice Specs Vivillion is swiftly OHKOd by both Talonflame and Charizard before It can even attack, and OHKOd by Garchomp for the same reason

I appreciate that you are passionate about Vivillon but you are overselling it quite a bit. It is completely outclassed as an offensive Pokemon due to its low offenses, low defenses and average speed. Its best niche Is as a very fast (with choice scarf) Sleep Powder user, otherwise most other Pokemon can do its job better. But thats just my opinion.

I have to agree with Sprocket here. Vivillon seems like that pokemon that you would keep for the chance it may be useful but will be useless 99% of the time. Honestly, the typing is terrible being weak to Fire 2x, Ice 4x, Rock 4x, etc. Also, Choice Scarf doesnt even seem worth to me. Firstly, there is pretty much 0 switching in VGC as well as if it were to switch in, it would most likely die to anything. Also, locking it into Sleep Powder is soooo bad imo. Even with the ability, it is going to miss when you need it to hit. Even with Sleep Powder, I do not really see a reason to using it.

P.S. This may be somewhat bias cause I hate every bug pokemon except Yanmega.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dash the fourth set as follows: Protect / Quiver Dance / Hidden Power Rock. Also change Choice Scarf with Focus Sash. it is infinitely more useful on Vivillon

dash the fourth set as follows: Protect / Quiver Dance / Hidden Power Rock. Also change Choice Scarf with Focus Sash. it is infinitely more useful on Vivillon
I can agree with slashing Protect but definitely not Quiver Dance. The thing is frail af and it will most likely just die after or before it even gets the Quiver Dance off. Also, Scarf is useless since there is no much, if any, switching going on.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can agree with slashing Protect but definitely not Quiver Dance. The thing is frail af and it will most likely just die after or before it even gets the Quiver Dance off. Also, Scarf is useless since there is no much, if any, switching going on.
i meant change the choice scarf for a focus sash. sorry if i made it unclear. That is also why I added Quiver Dance in so that you can survive a hit with sash and quiver dance to give yourself a boost of specs and scarf without the lock in effect.

As much as I love choice scarfed butterflies, Vivillon's niche is small and not something we need to be focusing on that moment. What you've written so far is long, but it does not feel insightful and like something we can put on site; your entire fake out user list section could be condensed into the single sentence "Vivillon enjoys the help of fake out users to give it the opportunity to sleep powder without being hit".

We appreciate the effort you want to put into helping, but try to refine your skills at vgc before posting another analysis attempt again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)