Pokémon Volcanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking he and talonflame will make an epic offensive core. Choice Specs Volcanion 2HKO's standard Rotom-W after stealth rock and has a great chance to do the same to even max HP and SpD assault vest tyranitar in sand. I hope it gets ice beam to round off its coverage for dragon types.

1.) To be Honest, I was hoping Volcanion had at least Base 80 Speed, and Motor Drive or Lightningrod as an Ability.
Why Motor Drive or Lightningrod? Volcanion was the cause of the Power Issues in Kalos, so it has to have an Electric absorbing Ability.

2.) 70 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 90 / 70? That adds up to 590. And even then, we don't know if Volcanion might have 610 BST instead of 600 like Diancie. I mean, Volcanion does look the most bad ass and he's probably the strongest of the three, so they might give him more than 600.

And if he gets Motor Drive or Lightningrod, he'll probably get Thunderbolt (or Charge Beam) as well.
- I also don't like how you guys are doing Calcs for these unconfirmed Base Stats. Volcanion could have Base 110 Atk, and Base 145 Sp.Atk for all we know.

2.) 70 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 90 / 70? That adds up to 590. And even then, we don't know if Volcanion might have 610 BST instead of 600 like Diancie. I mean, Volcanion does look the most bad ass and he's probably the strongest of the three, so they might give him more than 600.
Hoopa is the strongest of the three (in terms of attack) and they won't make anythings stats better because you think it's the most bad ass.

Hoopa is the strongest of the three (in terms of attack) and they won't make anythings stats better because you think it's the most bad ass.
Volcanion has a Sp.Atk hindering Nature in that Picture, so he could have a lot more Sp.Atk

And it's not that it's bad ass. Just because Diancie is an Event Pokemon and has a BST of 600, you guys assume Volcanion will have a BST of 600 becuase he is also an Event Pokemon. He could have 610.

Except Arceus, event Pokémon usually have 600 BST. Darkrai, Deoxys, Genesect, Meloetta, Shaymin (both forms), and all of the event pixies have 600 BST. Keldeo is the only exception, I can think off the top of my head, and its 580 BST is equal to the other musketeers.

For a slow pokemon with good defenses to be weak to stealth rock isn't a good thing, but with defog that is mitigated somewhat. It is weak to Ground/Rock but they are mainly physical moves and pokemon that get STAB on those moves are weak to the best water type attack in the game, which only this thing gets. Said ground/rock 'mons can revenge kill, but will need strong offenses to crack Volcanion's defenses. It is also weak to electricity, which means Rotom-W and Thundurus (both forms) can also do significant damage, but I don't think Rotom-W can take it out w/o specs, while thundy can't switch in. That gives it three weaknesses, 2 of them do nothing to a similar pokemon, Landorus-T, which laughs a most ground and rock types and can beat electric types. So far this pokemon looks like it will be a driving force in OU this gen, capable of running defensive, potentially offensive pivot, and choice sets all seem to be possible this likely addition to the tier.

Volcanion has a Sp.Atk hindering Nature in that Picture, so he could have a lot more Sp.Atk

And it's not that it's bad ass. Just because Diancie is an Event Pokemon and has a BST of 600, you guys assume Volcanion will have a BST of 600 becuase he is also an Event Pokemon. He could have 610.
How many event pokemon did not have a 600 BST?

When calculating, I got a spread of: 70/120/120/120/90/80, which would add to 600.
Yeah, Base 80 Speed I'd like. Then he could always beat Heatran if running the right speed Investment. :)
He still beats all Heatran Lacking HP Rock, or Earth Power.

Now I just have to cross my fingers for Motor Drive or Lightningrod as his ability.

Decently physically defensive, but it's vulnerable specially and it's not even close to fast enough to get passed that. It'll have nice niches countering Charizard and sending high powered attacks around, but I'm a little iffy on whether it'll be very popular.

Here's some example calcs showing how he is a little disappointing defensively,
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 318-374 (112.7 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 174-206 (61.7 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 218-257 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 195-231 (69.1 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just to be clear, I set the typing and stats to the ones in the op, I didn't actually do any calcs for abomasnow

Combine that with SR weakness, you get a weird pokemon. That steam eruption thing sounds fun, but it'll be strange to use.

Wow. That signature move and base stats make it an absolute beast. It's a good thing it's pretty slow. A bit lacking on the specially defensive side, but Steam Eruption makes up for it. 110 BP and 50% burn rate!? What was Game Freak thinking?

I thought the donut got a unique ability called steamed up? Either way, the steam eruption looks really infuriating to deal with..unlike sacred fire, the only typing which cant be burnt receives super effective damage instead of resisting it ;-;

Interesting to think about how Volcanion both benefits and is hindered by both Rain AND Sun. One STAB gets neutered and the other super powered.

Assuming Steam Eruption's description to be true, it's hard to imagine how this would not be spam-able. Neither 70 nor 80 Spd is horrible on a pokemon with its mixed bulk and offensive presence, especially when the threat of Steam Eruption unquestionably forces switches. Expect to see the need for something with Water Absorb as Grass types are mauled by Fire Blast. Vaporeon perhaps. Crocune can Rest off any burn, boost with Calm Mind and Pressure stall the low PP. Jellicent could rise again too, or Gastrodon, who gets his SpA boosted by Storm Drain and threatens with STAB Ground moves, same with Water Absorb Seismitoad. If Volcanion's speed is indeed 70 then Seismitoad is the best counter until Suicune learns Water Absorb.

If Volcanion doesn't get Thunderbolt or Ice Beam, he should probably go for HP Grass before HP Electric.
Rotom-W and Gastrodon are out there to attempt to Wall him, so yeah.
Since his Atk might be Equal to his Sp.Atk, he can also run Physical or Mixed. I can't wait to see what The Move Tutors will give him.

Volcanion @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Choice Specs
Ability: ??? (hoping for Motor Drive or Lightningrod)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Steam Erruption
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Hidden Power [Electric]

If he gets Thunderbolt and/or Ice Beam, or Giga Drain as a Move Tutor, it's GG.
- He can also run Assault Vest, Choice Scarf, and can be Bulky.

Last edited:
I'd also like to know where you got the moves if at all possible. I don't see them on smealum's twitter; then again I'm blind.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
The problem with Volcanion is its awkward speed tier, which makes it slower than Mamoswine, Heatran, Dragonite and a lot of other things that can easily force it out.
Combine that with 3 significant weaknesses including SR and questionable special bulk and it might have issues against most teams.
Fire/Water is also not especially good offensively because common water and dragon types resist the combo.
Been said that, Steam Eruption is the most ridiculously overpowered offensive move in the game and that alone makes it worth using in OU and it does have a number of nice resistances, including 4x to ice and fire.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Uh where did 50% burn rate come from? All it says is it has a chance to burn which could mean anything.

Unless this guy gets dragon pulse or dazzling gleam somehow Kingdra looks to be a good counter, he's not the best in OU but 4x resisting both the STABs of this thing and likely being neutral to any coverage moves it might have would make a strong case as Critdra would be able to set up freely on this thing, not even fearing a burn.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It will be a pretty nice addition to UU.
Yeah right. A defensive Fire-Type with a more accurate Hydro Pump, Scald, and Sacred Fire all rolled in one will absolutely not be allowed in UU, especially considering the amount of other Fire-Type in the tier.

I'm kinda torn on this one. On the one hand, I feel like there aren't enough defensive Fire-types and I like the idea of a Heatran alternative. On the other hand, Steam Eruption seems like the most broken move ever. I have no idea why Game Freak though this was a good idea. I really hope it's a 30% burn chance and not a 50% one.

Gastrodon will probably the best counter to this if it's running hp electric, like in the OP.

Also, scarfed set? Anyone?

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Does Steam Eruption hit multiple targets in doubles? Because if it does you better start carrying Water Absorb/Storm Drain users in every single team.

It's Physical movepool seems a bit barren which might prevent Volcanion from running a mixed set.
It's confirmed (?) movepool is barren so far, a total of 9 moves. it's certain to get more and likely some other physical moves. However, knowing Game Freak, they wil probably leave it's physical side rather lacking options (like genesect), but possibly enough to make it physically threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)