Pokémon Volcanion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Honestly, when I first saw the stat distribution of Volcanion I immediately thought Heatran? He has better defenses then heatran at the cost of Hp and if it gets Stealth Rock I am sure there will be many that use him as a pseudo replacement for Heatran. The biggest attraction to Volcanion is likely gonna be his ultra Scald that makes peoples complaints of scald last gen seem funny. I think he will get a unique ability like Diamond Skin but beyond that I am unsure however, giving it flash fire seems kinda like a waste due to his already formidable 4x resistence to fire. I can see a scarf set being viable on him pending on his movepools coverage as ScarfTran is already formidable as is, however, this is just theorymoning so i will stop at that.

Honestly, when I first saw the stat distribution of Volcanion I immediately thought Heatran? He has better defenses then heatran at the cost of Hp and if it gets Stealth Rock I am sure there will be many that use him as a pseudo replacement for Heatran. The biggest attraction to Volcanion is likely gonna be his ultra Scald that makes peoples complaints of scald last gen seem funny. I think he will get a unique ability like Diamond Skin but beyond that I am unsure however, giving it flash fire seems kinda like a waste due to his already formidable 4x resistence to fire. I can see a scarf set being viable on him pending on his movepools coverage as ScarfTran is already formidable as is, however, this is just theorymoning so i will stop at that.
Did you forget who made the game?

Nah, he won't replace Heatran. Heatran has incredible Steel typing, which is still great even with lack of Dark and Ghost resistances now. Also Heatran is neutral to Stealth Rock as one of few Fire types and probably the only viable defensive one in OU, so you don't really need to force yourself to use Rapid Spin/Defog as Volcanion won't enjoy loosing 25% of his HP on SR switch if you don't run one of those, limiting your teammates options. Steel/Fire is IMO better defensive typing than Water/Fire by good margin (Dragon resistance is still huge). Although I admit Steam Eruption is such a beastly move...

But it doesn't change fact that Volcanion looks promising. Really good bulk, good enough power, interesting typing offensively (defensively it's not horrible, but Fire adds some nasty weaknesses like Earth or Ground) and Steam Eruption will be annoying as hell to deal with, especially as there is really nothing to absorb burns from him (Fire types won't enjoy switching to this thing for sure) unless it runs RestTalk or some sort of Heal Bell/Aromatherapy. In case of Entei there are at least status absorbers like Poison Heal Gliscor, unlike in case of Volcanion. While Bulky Waters stop him, those burns are still a problem (another reason to run RestTalk Suicune :D).

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
But it doesn't change fact that Volcanion looks promising. Really good bulk, good enough power, interesting typing offensively (defensively it's not horrible, but Fire adds some nasty weaknesses like Earth or Ground) and Steam Eruption will be annoying as hell to deal with, especially as there is really nothing to absorb burns from him (Fire types won't enjoy switching to this thing for sure) unless it runs RestTalk or some sort of Heal Bell/Aromatherapy. In case of Entei there are at least status absorbers like Poison Heal Gliscor, unlike in case of Volcanion. While Bulky Waters stop him, those burns are still a problem (another reason to run RestTalk Suicune :D).
Pretty much anything with water absorb/storm drain walls him pretty hard (and makes the opponent more careful about spamming it) unless he gets access to any good electric/grass moves besides HP

I've seen discussion on this thing possibly getting banned because of its spam.move, but is it possible that just the move Steam Eruption would be banned?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've seen discussion on this thing possibly getting banned because of its spam.move, but is it possible that just the move Steam Eruption would be banned?
If a move is broken and only available on one Pokemon, the Pokemon will get banned, not the move.

I've though about something.

Volcanion @Choice Scarf
Ability: ???
EVS: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power (I hope he gets it..)
- Hidden Power Electric

This is obviously a more offensive set, I'd think of an AV one but this one is the first one I came up with originally.

Source? Until we get a confirm about Steam Eruption's burn rate talking about it is pointless theorymon tbh.
Please. Pointless theorymons is how all threads start out. This is a solid guess. Moves with a 10% chance to burn do not keep that info in the in game description. It could have a 30% but 50 is on par with Diamond Storm so it's highly likely. Also read the rules of the thread: there is theorymon in the OP and if you are not interested in participating in this pre-pokemon discussion, then leave.

Also, I will re-check my stats. Thanks Fireburn

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Volcanion @ Assault vest
Ability: ??????
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Scald
- Will-o-Wisp
- Lava Plume
Scald + Steam Eruption is redundant, and Will-O-Wisp can't be used with AV...

I think people are getting a little carried away with the talk of immediately banning this thing to ubers because of a possible water Sacred Fire. If the stats are correct, this thing has weaker special bulk than Genesect, a weakness to Stealth Rocks and even lower speed. On top of that, it's only known movepool consists of Fire/Water/HP coverage.

If this thing is truly as threatening as people are already making out, we'll probably see the OU viable Jellicent and Politoed rise in usage. Pretty sure bulky Latias would shut this thing down too.

The set I am most in love with right now is Hibiki's. That set is currently a godsend that you people will likely cower in fear of. All heil the mighty burn!!! Based burn for set name imo.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
>implying kyogre runs hp grass to counter gastrodon
>implying volcanion will as well
idk about you bro, but if gastrodon becomes a common counter for volcanion, HP grass would be pretty cool on him since all he needs is steam eruption/fire blast anyway.
Actually, you tend to run into a comfortable zero in both tiers, so yes, there are as many.
Gastrodon is a good poke and is commonly seen, what are you talking about?

edit: ok, after looking at 1760 stats, it's not so common, but it's still a good poke.

No matter what coverage moves he gets, volcanion's gonna wet himself every time he sees goodra

Also, any fast eq, tbolt, or sr will make him too hard to use defensively. I'm holding out for decent physical moves for a mixed set, but otherwise I doubt he'll see much use outside of special attacking specific targets that aren't bulky waters or special walls/tanks. At least threats like Gyarados will stay away to avoid the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)