Pokémon Walking Wake

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
Walking Wake
1009Walking_Wake.png

Base Stats: 99 HP / 83 Atk / 91 Def / 125 SpA / 83 SpD / 109 Spe
Ability: Protosynthesis

Notable Movepool:
Agility
Chilling Water
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse

Flamethrower
Hurricane
Hydro Pump
Hydro Steam
Surf

Tera Blast
Aqua Jet
Crunch
Dragon Dance
Liquidation
Low Kick
Outrage

Pros:
  • A dangerous offensive threat thanks to a solid Special Attack stat alongside high base powered STAB moves in Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor.​
  • Typing. Defensively, Walking Wake is only weak to 2 types. When accentuated with its passable natural bulk, it can soft check Pokemon like Greninja, Gholdengo, and Iron Moth, and can give it plenty of opportunities to wallbreak or set up. Offensively, the typing provides a near-unresisted STAB combination, hitting at least the whole metagame neutrally (bar Azumarill). Especially notable because defensive Pokemon tends to Tera between Fairy and Water, like Garganacl, Skeledirge, and Amoonguss, so you can still threaten them with your other STAB move regardless.​
  • Role versatility. It can opt for a wallbreaker with Choice Specs, revenge killer with Choice Scarf, or late-game cleaner with Agility sets.​
  • Can fit in virtually any offensive team styles. Whether it's bulky offense Voltturn, standard and sun offenses, or hyper offense. It can fit in on hazard stacking offenses as well since it threatens common hazard removers like Great Tusk, Iron Treads, and Corviknight, and enjoys Spikes chipping down the likes of Clodsire, Amoonguss, and Tera'd Garganacl.​
  • Signature move in Hydro Steam lets it find a place on sun teams as an offensive piece that can decimate bulky Fire-types like Skeledirge and Iron Moth as well as various Tera Fire Pokemon such as Kingambit, Hatterene, and Amoonguss, all of which can be problematic to its sun partners. I'm also looking at you, Heatran. Having Flamethrower for the sun boost is also a bonus.​

Cons:
  • Lack of a boosting move. Nothing like Nasty Plot, Calm Mind, or Work Up, or even attacking moves like Fiery Dance or Charge Beam either. This means, outside of Tera, it'll mostly rely only on Choice Specs to maximize its damage output.​
  • Pretty shallow offensive movepool makes it pretty one-dimensional and predictable, especially if the set is revealed early on.​
  • Low Attack stat to make use of its physical movepool.​

Tera Potential:
  • Water / Dragon - This is probably the Tera to run most of the time, since its STAB moves are so strong and it doesn't really need any other moves, especially because most Pokemon that can take a Water move dislikes its Dragon move, and vice versa. Tera Dragon + Choice Specs Draco Meteor in particular lets it 2HKO Slowking.​
  • Fairy / Steel - More of a defensive Tera to flip the matchup against would-be revenge killers like Iron Valiant, Dragapult, and opposing Walking Wake. Tera Steel can also be valuable if Tera Fairy Water Absorb Clodsire rises in viability in response to Waking Wake's prominence, which lets Walking Wake hit it super effectively while being immune to its Toxic.​
  • Grass - A more reliable option with Tera Blast to 2HKO bulky Water-types like Slowking and Tera Water Garganacl, and it is especially useful if Assault Vest Azumarill and Gastrodon become a thing.​

Potential Sets:

Choice Specs

Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water / Dragon / Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump / Dragon Pulse / Tera Blast

Assumed to be its bread-and-butter most prominent set, by taking advantage of its insanely valuable STAB combination alongside the high base powered of its STAB moves to be a nuclear wallbreaker. Voltturn or hazard-stack teams can benefit from this nicely, but its probably the most valuable on sun teams. Flamethrower provides a more consistent option to hit Steel-types like Corviknight and Gholdengo as well as Amoonguss who wants to pivot around Walking Wake's attacks, and it is especially notable under sun to make it a pseudo-STAB. The last attack is really flexible; on non-sun builds, Hydro Pump gives it a stronger Water attack. On sun builds, Dragon Pulse gives it another reliable attack while Tera Grass + Tera Blast is also an option to lure in and nuke the bulky Water-types that attempts to check it, which opens up its sun partners to flourish. Feel free to slap on a Choice Scarf instead if a wallbreaker is not what you're looking for.

Agility
Walking Wake @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Water / Grass / Fairy / Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hydro Pump / Hydro Steam
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower / Tera Blast

More of a late-game cleaner approach on hyper offense teams. Walking Wake pretty much outspeeds almost the entire metagame after Agility, so going Modest seems better since it only misses out on Floatzel under rain, which can't really do anything to it in return. Flamethrower and Tera Blast Grass provides similar coverage like mentioned previously. A defensive Tera like Fairy and Steel is an option to set up Agility on the Iron Valiants and Dragapults. Do note that it's not as valuable though; unlike setup sweepers that utilizes defensive Tera like Tera Fairy Volcarona or Tera Water Great Tusk, Walking Wake only really needs one Agility to do its thing, which it can easily obtain on a forced switch. Pair this set with wallbreakers like Baxcalibur, Kingambit, and Iron Valiant, since it really needs the opposing team to be weakened enough, especially since it can't afford to run Draco Meteor.

Overview:
A Pokemon with insanely high wallbreaking potential that fits on various offenses, and it can be the one to push sun builds into even higher prominence. Don't forget to bring your specially bulky Regenerating Waters with you!

Last edited:
For the first set, I would change the EV to the following to ensure it reaches 522 speed under Sun, to not be outsped by oppoonen'ts Walking Wake (as matches often come down to speed ties)

Sun team

Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water / Dragon / Fairy / Poison
EVs: 244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump / Dragon Pulse / Tera Blast

or

Life Orb
Walking Wake @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Water / Dragon / Fairy
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day

Sunny Day on Life Orb set can be a very useful move to keep Sun alive, as Wake forces lots of switches so it often gets ample opportunity to use Sunny Day. This set can also work in non weather teams

The 252 SpA can be used alternatively, but missing out on +1 Speed is a big deal

For a rain, these sets below can be used

Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water / Dragon / Fairy / Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First Proto mon that might be able to viably run Sunny Day on its own (if not used on a sun team) to provide its own speed/spa boost in addition to boosting its Hydro Steam and Flamethrower

no it won’t it doesn’t have the sheer power, speed, or movepool to do that, and with no setup move (shut up agility doesn’t count) it can’t do more than a simple specs set, it’s got a good typing and a few good moves and thats like it. most sets have to run tera blast or there won’t be a 4th move for specs sets.
Tera Type: Water
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk / Hurricane

I mean yeah it's just a simple Specs set but it hits like a truck. Fourth move I'm debating between Hurricane to make it work both in sun and in rain or Sleep Talk to play along opposing Amoonguss or Breloom putting it to sleep.

But I mean like if the sudden rise of Water Absorb Clodsire signifies anything it's that this beast is great. Besides Clod I don't think there's much checking it besides maybe opposing WW.

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
no it won’t it doesn’t have the sheer power, speed, or movepool to do that, and with no setup move (shut up agility doesn’t count) it can’t do more than a simple specs set, it’s got a good typing and a few good moves and thats like it. most sets have to run tera blast or there won’t be a 4th move for specs sets.
Expert Belt and Life Orb go brr

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
In all seriousness tho this is def banworthy. It's currently warping the meta around it just like how past banned mons like Mane and Palafin did that every team rn needs to pack at least one counter to it. I'm currently running a team with Tera Flying Kingambit (revenge kills with Sucker punch) and Scizor (revenge kills against Tera Fairy variants)

Under sun it honestly reminds me of a slightly more broken version of G-Darm back in early Gen 8 OU:

1. Insane coverage
2. Hard to outspeed in the right condition (Scarfed G-Darm, Wake under Sun)

What makes it slightly more broken is the fact that you don't need to be choice-locked yet you just outspeed everything.

Expert Belt is the set I'm running with it and it's really OP. You basically hit mostly everything in the meta (except Clod) for free damage multiplier

- Draco Meteor (opposing Dragons)
- Water STAB (Volc, Moth, Tusk, etc.)
- Flamethrower (Amoonguss, Gholdengo, etc.)
- Tera Blast (depends on your Tera Type, I personally run Tera Steel to check Dragon-types that usually Tera Fairy)

Tera Type: Water
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk / Hurricane

I mean yeah it's just a simple Specs set but it hits like a truck. Fourth move I'm debating between Hurricane to make it work both in sun and in rain or Sleep Talk to play along opposing Amoonguss or Breloom putting it to sleep.

But I mean like if the sudden rise of Water Absorb Clodsire signifies anything it's that this beast is great. Besides Clod I don't think there's much checking it besides maybe opposing WW.
I experimented with a Specs set but I've been using Tera Steel with Tera Blast as my fourth move, since most Dragon-types go Tera Fairy so Fairy-type Tera Blast is there to check them

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
I believe Tera Psychic is worth mentioning for Agility Walking Wake, since under Sun / Booster Energy it becomes able to 2HKO Clodsire and Toxapex with Tera Blast. Surely this would miss on Slowking and Gastrodon, and some Tera Fairy Clodsire would still handle it, but pick your poison I guess.
I also don't think Tera Blast is any much useful on Choice Specs Walking Wake, as Tera Dragon Draco Meteor strikes insane numbers even if Protosynthesis boosts Speed — it is stronger than that of Dragapult, for reference.

Any good teammates for Walking Wake? Thinking of pairing him with Baxcalibur but who else as well?

I keep hearing Kinggambit would be a good part of the trio as well?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Any good teammates for Walking Wake? Thinking of pairing him with Baxcalibur but who else as well?

Pairs really well with something that takes on bulky waters (Slowking, Dondozo, Toxapex) and Clodsire so I'd personally saw a good offensive pairing would be Meowscarada or Breloom

Defensively I would say a steel type to take on Fairy / Dragon moves so Corviknight / Gholdengo fit well (You just have to take in account being under Sun which is a dilemma) so ideally just a Fire type + a Fairy type is a better mix than having a steel if you're under Sun. So something like a Bulky Ceruledge + Hatterene combination

Pairs really well with something that takes on bulky waters (Slowking, Dondozo, Toxapex) and Clodsire so I'd personally saw a good offensive pairing would be Meowscarada or Breloom

Defensively I would say a steel type to take on Fairy / Dragon moves so Corviknight / Gholdengo fit well (You just have to take in account being under Sun which is a dilemma) so ideally just a Fire type + a Fairy type is a better mix than having a steel if you're under Sun. So something like a Bulky Ceruledge + Hatterene combination
Feel like Skeledirge is one of the Pokémon I want in the team I'm afraid haha so Meowscarada would be out. Could Tinkaton work since it's a steel type? Could cover and defend against Dragon types. Especially in a team where I am putting Walking Wake, Skeledirge and Baxcalibur as teammates.

Have been thinking perhaps Clodsire could work as a teammate? Maushold for speed and maybe Kinggambit for additional support?

Sorry, but I had to do this:

walkingwake.png

Walking Wake is designed to be an ubers mon.
It should naturally be quickbanned by a council vote.

Despite the obvious fusion between Dracovish and Chi-yu,
this mon alone makes sun teams alot more dangerous.

And why is that?
Sun is already pretty strong, now sun teams get access to the water type, that would usually be weakened by sun.
Instead, Hydro Steam even gets buffed by sun.

That means that many checks and counters against sun teams now face the problem of going against potentially supereffective water-type attacks, letting the sun team break through stuff it could not go through before.

Another addition to sun will be a powerfull STAB Draco Meteor that can 2hko alot of really bulky mons.

Clodsire with water absorb? If you are forced to run water absorb on a mon that has unaware, something might be out of balance.

Okay, don't like sun?
No problem, wake got you covered.
You can also run it in rain, it gets Hurricane.

Flying wake with 3 high basepower STAB moves also hits like a truck.
(Tera flying Hurricane, Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor)

You can scarf it, you can specs it, hecc you can even go wild and run a physical Dragon Dance set.

It's fast, it hits hard, and it's bulky and survives a whole lot of supereffective stuff coming it's way.

Walking wake wants to go home to ubers, where it belongs.

Walking Wake @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast

Currently loving Tera Poison.

Also what is boosted when spa and speed are the same? 248 spa and 252 speed boost what? I chose 244 spa to be safe

Walking Wake @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast

Currently loving Tera Poison.

Also what is boosted when spa and speed are the same? 248 spa and 252 speed boost what? I chose 244 spa to be safe
Sp atk is always boosted when both of them are same .

I have been using Eject button Healing wish Hatterene . Eject button gives you the free switch to Wake and healing wish to recover from the LO damage .
Walking Wake @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Electric
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Tera Blast

This is the set I have been running . You can use Tera Fairy too over Tera Electric . What I have felt using the LO set is , Wake is phenomenal under Sun . Nothing can outspeed it without a boost or a scarf , and the fact that Hydro Steam has the same BAP in sun and in rain , makes Walking Wake quite flexible.

Everyone is talking about quick banning this new Paradox mon, but unless Walking Wake is running Tera Blast (Electric), this thing is going to have a hard time facing bulky Water types, and especially Azumarill that laughs at its STAB and other coverage moves.

Everyone is talking about quick banning this new Paradox mon, but unless Walking Wake is running Tera Blast (Electric), this thing is going to have a hard time facing bulky Water types, and especially Azumarill that laughs at its STAB and other coverage moves.
I don't think you have played a single match involving wake. Azumarill gets destroyed by tera poison and 252 ev SpA set 2hko Azumarill under Sun with Hydro Steam alone

The rest get OHKO with Draco Meteor on the switch

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I don't think you have played a single match involving wake. Azumarill gets destroyed by tera poison and 252 ev SpA set 2hko Azumarill under Sun with Hydro Steam alone

The rest get OHKO with Draco Meteor on the switch
252 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 315-371 (79.9 - 94.1%) -- not a KO

252 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 334-396 (72.1 - 85.5%) -- not a KO

Pex is 2HKOd even with SpD investment, but consider that it can just pivot into a steel/fairy type. This isn’t a big deal considering Steel is common. For example uhhh Gholdengo

Protosynthesis/Quark Drive follows Beast Boost rules, i.e. Attack > Defense > Special Attack > Special Defense > Speed in that order.
So yes, you'd need 244 SpA (one below) to get the Proto Speed boost, with a tie it'd favour SpA.

This thing is ridiculous in sun. I think it will probably get banned.

It's not that crazy outside of sun, which is unfortunate. Could have been an interesting addition if not for how strong it is in sun.

IMO this guy is an automatic inclusion for sun teams. Solid choice for rain teams too. Outside of weather, I don't think he does anything particularly great. I have lost a game or 2 to agility, but any special agility sweeper (Iron Moth) probably could have beat me in those games.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)