WCop XI General Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Isa said:
http://puu.sh/pnHpE/a6a80924ca.jpg US North East (includes Washingon D.C.)
http://puu.sh/pnHsT/ea04436093.jpg US South
http://puu.sh/pnHwY/6049fb7125.jpg US Midwest
http://puu.sh/pnHyT/01975b4268.jpg US West

this is my suggestion for how future US teams should look. these regions follow the official US regions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_of_the_United_States#Interstate_regions
the northeast is the least populated area but i do not think that it'd be a weak region - half of team East is from this area
the south is by contrast the most populated area, but i do not believe that we have a huge amount of great players from the inland regions, so i think it'd be fine
midwest is the area i'm most worried about, i dont know if there's a lot of noteworthy players from this area - zeb might be more versed than me here. we could take kentucky/oklahoma, using this as some kind of reasoning: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what-states-are-in-the-midwest/
us west would be the same as today but with montana, wyoming, colorado and new mexico added, so it'd be stronger than today at least.
i posted this in a TD PM.

obligatory youre not american, you dont know the player base, fuck you for ruining team east legacy etc. etc. flame shield on - it's just my suggestion oo. i think it makes sense though and i'll propose this change when we get around to discussing it (which will be shortly after this wcop has ended, hopefully)

this is my opinion and not representative of the entire td team etc. etc.

i posted this in a TD PM.

obligatory youre not american, you dont know the player base, fuck you for ruining team east legacy etc. etc. flame shield on - it's just my suggestion oo. i think it makes sense though and i'll propose this change when we get around to discussing it (which will be shortly after this wcop has ended, hopefully)

this is my opinion and not representative of the entire td team etc. etc.
Midwest would be the weakest. There are plenty of VGC players from that area but not really smogon outside of Nails, IFM, and Zeb (to name a few I can think of) it would be an improvement of what we currently have. Tennessee is of course in the South but it has a bigger player pool than say Kentucky (I go to school in Tennessee, Shake is from Tennessee) that would probably be a better balancing act but then the map would kinda look weird. I guess 4 equal US teams is impossible but in summary Isa map > current map.

ORAS: Laz
ORAS: Asuka Langley Soryu
ORAS: LuluLamperouge
ORAS: konstantellos
ORAS: Sakis (vice-captain)
BW2: Ace-11
DPP: christos21
ADV: Astamatitos
GSC: Fear
RBY: roudolf13

Subs:

Mysterious M
Rigas (Captain)
GLFGno7
Orangel
giangos the dragon

Guys who should be in the team but can't due to rules:

davidTheMaster
Foggi

Banner.png

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
Funny how we decide to axe a whole continents team to make room for a country that already had eligibility in a team.

Why does America get 4 teams and every other country gets 1 at most? May as well rename this the American Cup of Pokemon at this rate.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Funny how we decide to axe a whole continents team to make room for a country that already had eligibility in a team.

Why does America get 4 teams and every other country gets 1 at most? May as well rename this the American Cup of Pokemon at this rate.
I am so fucking done with your non-sequitering, generalizing, oligarchy finger-pointing, lame-ass attempts at stirring up shit and getting on my nerves because you apparently have nothing better to do with your time, but I'm just pissed off enough at this post that I'm going to reply.

Because it's pretty fucking obvious why the U.S. has 4 teams, if you have a brain to look around at the general populace of this forum or take a look at the signups for this tournament in this and past years, you'll find that a huge majority of the signups are those users from the U.S. or have U.S. eligibilities (and not discounting the point that this is an English-speaking, American-started forum, so even more obviously the majority of the users are going to be American).

If the goal was to make it ACoP, why would we allow so many European countries to enter on their own instead of jumbling them into one giant European team? Like I said earlier, we base the teams off of our userbase as best we can to best represent what our playerbase looks like.

There is a pretty clear-cut mode of entry into this tournament: your region/country needs to field a team of 10 players and 5 subs from the same IP-range or have the same eligibility (grandfather clause). The last two years we had 17 teams wanting entry (to the best of my knowledge, maybe MDragon's been hiding requests who knows). What do you do with 17 team signups? You need to make it 16 teams for the points and playoffs to work out correctly, so the best way to eliminate one team is to allow the team that was not included last year to play the team that came in last the year prior for their 16th place spot for inclusion. It just so happened to be LA this year, last year it was the entire Africa/Middle East region team but they beat Greece for the spot.

LA will get to try again next year, it's not like they were totally denied entry, they just got knocked out at the qualifying round.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion

Keep fighting the good fight, my man. Like you, I'm tired of the fat Americans and their double chins and beer bellies taking up everyone else's space. They do nothing but lock themselves up in their parents' basement stuffing their fat faces with McDonald's hamburgers and playing Pokemon, that's why there are so many of them people on here. You Latino guys should not be punished for actually having to work the fields to pay bills. A smaller playerbase should not keep LA from having a team.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
It's because Greece advanced and not LA. I'm just gonna say it like it is. Greece players could easily sign up for Europe. Aside from Asia, Afrabs, and Brazil...what do the remaining teams have in common?

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Greece has enough players for a team and seem dedicated from what I can tell as an outsider. So I don't think it would be fair to not give them a chance to compete. Of course it's possible to arbitrarly axe any other team, but lol. Having qualifying doesn't seem unfair too me and LA knew after last World Cup that they will have to play Greece in order to compete next year. So I don't get now, why everybody complains about something that has been known for a year now.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Buddy, it's like eating fast food. The idea sounds good. But once you eat it, you'll feel miserable afterward. The same logic applies here. LA didn't take into consideration that the USA has four teams, one of which is US Metro, consisting of merely two states--New York and New Jersey. Both states could be grouped together with US East to make room for another international team. LA players are aware of this now, and like them, I'm mad af.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Exactly. Of the 16 teams, 13 of them are white. Having a token black French or Asian American or Indian Canadian does not make your team "diverse."

I believe that WQ means that there is too much European and American team compared to others...
He may be right but let's hypothetically say that every continent has the same number of teams in WCoP (how do you divide 16/5 in the first place?). Do you really think that every continent can put 3 or 4 teams with strong elegibilities? Asia/Africa/Oceania already lack of several players and can barely form a "Team Asia/Team Oceania/Team Afrabs". Furthermore, many (strong) players would likely be cut out and the quality of the tournament will decrease (and WCoP is already criticized for "skill gap" between top teams and the others). People will surely complain about this in the same way they are complaining right now.
Fact is people got always something to complain for, and even though I can reasonably understand criticism on Metro/East, the LA issue wouldn't be appeared at all if they didn't reach last spot in the previous edition, losing the "play-out" vs Canada. If US Metro had reached last spot and then lost vs Greece, there wouldnt likely be complains. Or maybe there would had been anyway, but don't forget that things happened due to merits and demerits, and not to "US favoritism" (and who remembers Tour weeks timings discussion should also remember I'm not a huge fan of "US playerbase has to be favoured cuz it's the biggest part of forum userbase")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)