We Were Heroes

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hi everyone! I'm just posting one of my teams from this round that i had a fair amount of success with, getting top 20 and such which was pretty cool, but i'm mostly posting it because i think it was the most well built out of all the teams i made and included everything i felt a uu team needed.

if anyone is interested, the template i used to build it was just: Spiker lead / Water / Fire / Grass / Spinner / Ghost, which is what most UU teams seem to look like anyway! But yeah here's the team :toast:

AT A GLANCE

**** Jonah @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Spikes

A pretty typical spikes lead, my last RMT had Omastar, but this time i decided to change things up and go with Qwilfish. I like Taunt alot, and i find Qwil useful if i can keep it alive, since it sets up on Milotic pretty nicely and can just Explode on stuff if i find the need to! I also like being able to explode on rain sweepers if i keep Stealth Rock off. Qwil is part 1 of my "stop the rain" core, along with Kabutops / Torterra and i supposed Houndoom too.

So lately, all my good UU teams have been using Qwilfish as a lead to throw up Spikes, and then smashing stuff with Choiced / Life Orbed attacks. So why try something new if this strategy works perfectly well? Most of the time against Uxie and Mesprit and Omastar i don't really bother Taunting, i just set up my layers since i have Houndoom + Kabutops to remove ghosts and spin, so it doesnt really bother me if Stealth Rock is down. I'm considering throwing Aqua Jet on over Taunt but it can be useful against helpless mons like Registeel and stuff that i don't want to set up, like CM Slowbro or Rock Polish Torterra (even though i have Explosion, i can be hesitant to use it).

Originally I had Cloyster in this spot so i could use dual spinners, but i disliked its horrible special bulk and Stealth Rock weak (making it less useful later on) and found it to be a lackluster lead in general. I've also considered using Stealth Rock + Spikes suicide Omastar and using LO Venusaur over Torterra, but i feel like it'd put a pretty big burden on Omastar to set up hazards, and without Torterra i have a ton of trouble with Plot Mismagius and Sub Life Orb Rotom.

I'm not really sure why i named Qwilfish Jonah, but i figured it suited it reasonable well considering it was a fish? I dunno i really couldn't think of anything better to be honest :toast:

**** Thanatos @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

So i needed a Rapid Spinner, Water for the FWG core, and something to beat down rain, and Kabutops does the job perfectly. Jolly + Swift Swim means i pretty much outspeed and beat down every rain sweeper with a Rain boosted Waterfall and Stone Edge for stuff like Gory / Qwilfish / Ludicolo. Kabutops also has the advantage of the 4x Fire-type resist so it can come into Fire Blasts and Flare Blitzs and threaten with either Aqua Jet or Waterfall, depending. My team isn't really too worried about Fire-types other than Arcanine though, since Houndoom can Pursuit choiced Fires and switch into Fire attacks for the boost and proceed to steam roll through the opposition (assuming you can clear Milotic!)

While I really do miss Swords Dance sometimes, i'm generally fine without it, and i absolutely love Tops as a spinner largely due to surprise value. I don't really care about taking Life Orb recoil to Rapid Spin against stall, and since RS Tops is starting to grow in popularity (and most run Leftovers as opposed to Life Orb) i can bluff pure Swords Dance a bit better! Thanks to the large number of switches Tops forces + 329 Attack with 2 solid STABs boosted behind a Life Orb, it benefits a great deal from Spikes. It weakens Defensive Hitmontop switch ins, which is pretty cool because this team hates Impish Top alot (unless i get Scyther in on a Foresight) and Blastoise and Donphan will generally have a hard time switching in, and Rotom covers them pretty solid anyway so its cool.

Aqua Jet helps me partially revenge Rock Polish Rhyperior (which can be a big bitch if Torterra goes down..) as well as Mixed Blaziken and Nasty Plot Houndoom. I've considered throwing on Swords Dance over Aqua Jet but i don't think that would benefit me in the long run, especially when i need to pick off stuff like weakened Scarf Rotom / Mismagius and i'd have alot more trouble with Vaccum Wave MixKen so i figure i'll just stick to Aqua Jet!

Anyway as for the name! Thanatos is the Greek personification of death, which i found pretty fitting for Kabutops since its extremely powerful and gets alot of KOs with Spikes / SR support

**** Pele @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 128 Atk/224 Spd/156 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

This is a staple on every UU team i make, and for good reason. Houndoom gives me an amazing switch into Will O Wisps, as well as being able to Pursuit troublesome ghosts like Taunt + Will O Wisp Mismagius and Scarf Rotom locked into Hidden Power [Ice] or Shadow Ball. 224 is enough to beat max Speed Timid Rotom and everything below it, and 128 Attack gives reasonable power behind Sucker Punch, allowing me to OHKO Dugtrio after Stealth Rock. I was always a bit shaky on using Houndoom as a mixed sweeper, but after using it on a team with Donphan to remove ghosts and spin, i fell in love. Almost every team of mine has a core of Qwilfish / Mixed Houndoom / Some form of Rotom.

Despite the extreme frailty, Houndoom is a pretty solid defensive pivot with Fire attacks, being able to switch into 50% Moltres Life Orb Fire Blast / HP Grass and KO with Dark Pulse. It also Pursuits Choiced Fire-types like Typhlosion (lol) and Arcanine, although i'm generally a bit more hesitant with Arcanine because of Extreme Speed. With Kabutops being able to spin rather often, i don't really mind Houndoom's Stealth Rock weakness. Sucker Punch fits in with the whole priority theme, and revenge kills alot of unsuspecting mons, as well as being able to atleast get a hit in before being KO'd, because every adds up in the long run. Houndoom is pretty cool because it breaks RegiBro no problem, and Houndoom also Pursuits Psychic types like its his job (ie: Specs Kazam, Gardevior, Hypno etc).

Houndoom benefits from Spikes because its main counters, like Milotic, Chansey, SDef Arcanine, and other bulky waters, are all grounded and therefore get harassed by Spikes upon coming in. It doesn't take much to break them either, just spamming Dark Pulse / Fire Blast with Spikes down will generally work, and then you just have to bring something in to force a switch and repeat the cycle. I'm almost considering trying Life Orb Moltres in this slot, just because its much more of an anti spinner mon that Houndoom, but 2 4x Stealth Rock weaks worries me, especially since i'd be losing my Pursuiter to remove ghosts. I suppose i may test out LO Moltres and Scarf Blaziken in the future though, just to see how it goes.

Houndoom is Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of Fire and Volcanoes, pretty fitting considering its a Fire mon with Flash Fire!

**** Phaunos @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/4 Spd/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

The last of my Fire / Water / Grass core is Specially Defensive Torterra, which is a top quality Stealth Rocker and also comes with the added benefit of being able to shut down Offensive Mismagius / Rotom as well as being a reasonably solid switch in to bulky waters. I first found out about this set when Jabba posted his UU team a few round backs, and after using it on a couple teams, i really fell in love with it. It can switch into so many mons thanks to its typing and bulk from both sides, and pretty much never dies thanks to synthesis Wood Hammer and Earthquake are pretty obvious if you ask me... 4 Speed allows me to beat Sub Perior most of the time, which comes in handy alot, especially if they run Megahorn :|

It was between Torterra, Venusaur, and Leafeon for this spot. I ended up choosing Torterra because if i picked Venusaur or Leafeon, i'd need to either: a) use Omastar lead for Stealth Rock, or b) use a bulky Stealth Rocker over Scyther. I didn't want to run Omastar because i find Qwilfish to be better, and running all hazards on Omastar means they're much harder to get down, and after my recent success with Scyther, i wasn't about to replace the crux of the team with a defensive Stealth Rocker. Torterra doesn't exactly slow down the tempo offensively either, thanks to an extremely solid attack stat and 2 powerful STABs to punish everything. But yeah i'd like to thank LN and Jabba for showing me this set, because its pretty awesome!

The mons that Tort allows a free switch in are: Moltres, Leafeon, Eggy, and occasionally Venusaur. Moltres can't really come in much thanks to Stealth Rock, and Houndoom and Kabutops are both pretty good switch ins if i'm in trouble (and Scyther can revenge with Aerial Ace). Scyther can easily come into Leafeon if i keep rocks off and either U Turn or Aerial Ace, depending on if i expect a switch or not. Against Eggy i'll generally sacrifice Qwil if its still alive, and proceed to Pursuit for an OHKO with Houndoom to remove it. Venusaur can really only Sleep Powder me, because Life Orb Sludge Bomb doesn't really do that much, and Earthquake is doing about 40% which is enough to force it to use Synthesis, in which case i can force it out with either Houndoom or Scyther on a predicted Synthesis.

Phaunos is the Greek / Roman god of the forest, which is pretty fitting for the Turtle with a forest on its back

**** David @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Quick Attack
- Brick Break

Scyther is easily my favorite mon in UU as of right now. If you can manage to spin, its an absolute monster against all types of teams, not to mention it can easily come in on Grass / Fighting / Ground attacks and spam U Turn or Aerial Ace, both of which are pretty overpowered in UU if you ask me. Between Mixed Pursuit Houndoom and Kabutops, i can spin pretty easily, which allows Scyther to come in late game and clean up, or throw around U Turns, which is cool because most of Scyther's popular switch ins are Grounded except for Rotom, and Scarf Rotom takes about 56% from a Choice Banded Aerial Ace, which really means that only heavily Defensive Rotom can come in, which Houndoom can generally remove without much of a problem. Registeel coming in on U Turn gives me a free switch into Torterra, which allows me to set up Stealth Rock if i haven't done so, or just spam Earthquake or Wood Hammer accordingly.

The moveset and EVs are pretty standard. I've considered Pursuit over Quick Attack to hit fleeing users locked into Fighting / Ground attacks and to smash stuff like Chansey and Venusaur that would never consider staying in on Scyther. The only problem with that is that i miss out on priority, which is kinda the basis of UU offense. I actually never use Brick Break unless i'm trying to revenge kill Kabutops, but i'm not going to risk not having it, incase there comes a time where i really need it.

I originally had Roost / Aerial Ace / U Turn / Brick Break Scyther @ Life Orb in this slot, but i found it very underwhelming because it never really KO'd anything because i was wasting my time Roosting, so after replacing it with CB i never looked back. Scyther is my main switch into Hitmontop if i think it's going to Foresight, or if i switch Rotom into a healthy Hitmontop knowing it will try to Foresight Spin. Aerial Ace immediately threatens Top for an OHKO, which means i get to keep my Spikes, and get a free turn to spam AA. This is actually the first time i've used CB Scyther out of the lead position (its an outstanding lead, for the record) and i can't say i've been disappointed at all, considering that its easily the MVP.

Scyther is David because despite not many people expecting it, i find it more powerful than the "regular" UU physical powerhouses like Azumarill, Torterra, Kabutops, Hitmonlee etc.

**** Melinoe @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/8 Def/248 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Will-o-wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Rotom is, in my opinion, the best spinblocking ghost in uu, or atleast the most versatile. It can easily run Sub Will O Wisp, Defensive Pain Split, Restalk Will O Wisp, Sub Life Orb, Choice Specs / Scarf, or just a simple spinblocking set with alot of speed; like this one. Having used Rotom on a majority of my teams, i wanted to try a new set on this team. I've used Bold Pain Split Rotom in the past on a stall team, but i wanted to use Timid on this one to outspeed Venusaur, Life Orb Milotic and Kabutops, while still somewhat checking Fighters like Hitmonlee as well as Normal-types (barring Kangaskhan). I've also seen people use fast Wisp Rotom pretty effectively, and decided to give it a shot for myself. Can't say i'm disappointed, although i do miss the bulk of Bold sometimes.

On the other hand, i also miss offensive power sometimes, but we can't always get what we want! This still handles Donphan and Blastoise like a champ, and if i go to Scyther on Foresight from Top then i don't really have to worry too much! Between Rotom and Scyther, i have Ground and Fighting attacks covered really well, which is pretty cool considering i have 3 ground weaks... i also have 2 checks to most Normal-types as well between Rotom and Kabutops, barring Kanga who pretty much just smashes through this team no problem. Sometimes i kinda want to run Hidden Power [Ice] over Shadow Ball, mainly for Torterra, because i don't even remember what Shadow Ball is on here for..? I'd like some opinions on this if possible!

While Rotom is awesome and all, this set kinda slows down the tempo of the team, which isn't a bad thing, but i might test out Sub Life Orb Rotom, since its an awesome spinblocker that doesn't lose to Chansey, and it hits like a truck which is always a plus. PS: If no one has noticed yet, Qwilfish lead / Mix Doom / Some Rotom set is on every one of my UU ladder teams, so if you wanna try out a badass offensive combo, i suggest building a team with it!

Melinoe was the Ancient Greek Goddess of offerings made to the deceased. She was also followed around by a train of ghosts, which i found pretty fitting for Rotom, considering its a ghost and all!

Thanks for reading, and please rate if you wish to!

Mostly posting just to say great team, because there just aren't any really worrying weaknesses haha. I keep thinking I've found one, and then I realize you have so much priority.

I'd keep on Taunt on Qwilfish just as insurance against opposing Spiking waters. You have lots of priority / speedy dudes / bulky dudes that you can keep the moveslot.

The one true threat I found for your team was SubSeed Sceptile, because right now the standard imo is Sub / Seed / Leaf Storm / HP Ice. This pretty much demolishes your team, perhaps not all at once because you can break substitutes, but Torterra and Kabutops both give it essentially free subs, and they can be taken out by the attacking move. Houndoom is SubSeeded, Qwilfish gets railed by Leaf Storm (to avoid Taunt / Explosion), Rotom keeps SubSeeded. Really your hope is to break the sub with Scyther (but it takes an HP Ice) and then never give another sub, but you risk losing a Pokemon to its attacks :/ This is such a small weakness that I wont screw up your synergy to fix it. If you get really paranoid about it or something or start seeing it everywhere you could Scarf Scyther and go Adamant or something, but I dont really think you should mess up your powerhouse to deal with one weakness. Just watch out for it I guess.

Enough rambling...excellent team here august. Not surprised it did so well for you.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi augoost,

There isn't much to say because team is solid. Your weakness to fast Grass- and Flying-type sweepers does stick out, however. I can see SD Sceptile (and pretty much all other sets), SD Scyther (if Rotom is slightly weakened and if you lose a speedtie), RP Torterra with Leftovers and so on. That, added to the slight Rain weakness (you seem to rely on Kabutops too much to check it), makes Scarf Rotom a pretty plausible change:

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP/192 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Pretty standart, and with Trick you can mess most spinners up with adequate prediction. The Speed EVs are enough to outspeed Jolly Aggron even after RP, as with Ice Punch it can cause you some serious problems; but you could tweak it according to your own needs. Good luck =)

k so i don't really like rating teams cause i'm pretty bad at it but i do like nitpicking cause i'm good at that. so i will nitpick some stuff

:toast:

why 248 speed on rotom? might as well just max it for the somewhat rare scenario in which you need to depend on the speed tie to stop a rotom from sweeping. prolly never going to happen cause of all your other checks, but it's just 4 evs.

speaking of which that's about the only use of shadow ball (opposing mismagius/rotom). it also hits rhyperior a bit harder than hp ice due to solid rock but since you have lots of hp and will-o-wisp i don't think you need to worry about that. in return hp ice is better for venusaur/torterra/leafeon/tangrowth.

have you tried sub instead of pain split, but with max speed? its nice to be able to scout the switch and escape from pursuit if needed, and with hazards up other mixdoom won't be able to come into rotom more than once. sub also lets your rotom set beat chansey (well it won't beat you at least, i dunno who runs out of pp first lol) which you mentioned as a reason you were considering sub lo.

if you decide to use sub instead of pain split i can see shadow ball MAYBE being useful, like if they sac a death fodder pokemon but you used sub on the switch. then if they try revenging you with missy then you can hit them from behind the sub... but youve already got houndoom for bulky missy and torterra for offensive ones and that scenario is so specific that you could try hp ice anyways.

only 100 attack evs are needed on houndoom to ohko 4/0 duggy after sr (although you may have been doing 40 hp duggy in which case 128 sounds like it could be right). but have you considered running max attack, and crunch instead of dark pulse? the main benefit to a specially oriented mix set is that you hit slowbro + registeel harder with dp/fb, and dark pulse does a bit more against phys def uxie. but crunch hits chansey a LOT harder (2hko with sr is almost guaranteed iirc) and does roughly the same to milotic, your sucker punch gets powered up so you'll do more against random sd/dd dudes you wanna revenge kill. i would use overheat if you use attack evs though because then you do more damage to random neutral things like clefable

i guess i don't really have any specific recommendations (dunno which options are better for your team) but those are some minor things you can play around with! i like this team it looks fun

edit: i like bluewinds suggestion. it makes it a little harder to play the team on average (you have to be more careful with rotom and predict a bit more i guess) but it makes it a lot less likely for you to "autolose" against a team with x specific threat. that means it'll be a tad harder to counterteam this team for everyone whos going to steal it for tour though o_ o

Wow, really great team. Congrats on your success with it!

I really like whistle's idea of Crunch > Dark Pulse on Houndoom so you can KO Chansey, provided you have some layers up. It will make beating stall that much easier, while giving you a stronger Sucker Punch to take down offensive teams with. The only other thing I have to say is that I'd keep Will-o-Wisp on Rotom so you aren't risking giving Rhyperior a free Sub. (If he gets a Sub, something will die/take a big hit.)

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Bluewind - thanks alot, i'll be sure to try out Scarf Rotom !

Whistle - badass already told me to try crunch/pursuit/sp/overheat doom, so i guess with your recommendation too i'll give it a shot. i'll also try out Sub on Rotom > Pain split, HP Ice > Shadow Ball and Sub Life Orb

Kir- thank you!

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I agree with Bluewind.
Rotom needs Scarf, because your team is a bit DDaltaria weak (torterra is the perfect set up fodder), and scarf rotom would also allow you to check lots of threats that might give you lots of trouble.
gl with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)