Weather Control? Hazard Control! - Tomahawk9 vs San_Pellegrino

San_Pellegrino was looking at IRC on #benelux to help him test his new team. I considered it, but I was rating a team. Mynism also offered to play SP, so I wasn't really bothered. Some minutes later, though, some guy named ChasingAlt kept challenging me on PO. I got pretty annoyed, and I said on #benelux if someone was that guy, and San_Pellegrino replied that he was, he wanted to test his team. However, I didn't really have a good team San_Pellegrino didn't know, so I quickly picked BKC's team, as it has served me well. A pretty good battle resulted, and SP wanted to warstory, so here it is!) PS: Thanks aeo for the format!

Battle between Tomahawk9 and ChasingAlt started!
Tier: Standard OU
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

The first thing I noticed about SP's team is that it's a weatherless team as well, and that makes me smile. This is a battle without any weather, which is so rare nowadays. I also notice I can't get a easy 6-0 with Latias as he carries a Skarmory that is probably specially defensive, an Accelgor that can outspeed and hit me with a Bug Buzz, and a possible Scarf Haxorus. I also really want to keep Skarmory alive, because I otherwise might have trouble with a possible Dragon Dance Haxorus. This also makes me think that he's going to try to save Magnezone pretty badly, so I should try not to get a Skarmory vs Magnezone matchup, as I will have to reveal my Shed Shell then. He might save his Magnezone at the cost of something more important, and Magnezone is also just setup fodder for Heatran and Gastrodon.

SP has an Accelgor, who is probably the standard Spiker set. Therefore, leading with Skarmory or Heatran would be best. He could also lead with Skarmory which makes leading with Heatran another good choice. However, this is not the main choice I'm sending out Heatran. SP will probably expect me to send out Skarmory to lead, and will try to catch him turn 1. If I send out Heatran, I can get up SR turn 1 while he is forced to switch.

My team looks unorthodox, because it is. I based it around a Drag Mag + Accelgor core as a plan for the DW Challenge, and I knew I wanted to use Accelgor and make it shine. The first thing I notice about Tomahawk's team is that it is a weatherless team that closely resembles BKC's recent RMT team, and that he has no spinner. My strategy from the start was to set up hazards with Skarmory, while making sure it was at good health so that Gengar wouldn't cause too many problems in the latter stages of the game. I send out Magnezone here because I know that he will lead with either Heatran or Skarmory, and keeping my momentum will be important in this match will be very crucial for me to prevent something unwanted from setting up on me.

Tomahawk9 sent out Heatran!
ChasingAlt sent out Magnezone!

I have the obvious advantage here. I could just set up Stealth Rock on the switch, but I have something else in mind here. As SP will switch, I can Roar to keep my advantage while throwing hi offguard. I can then Stealth Rock while disrupting his plan.

So he sends out Heatran as I expected, which leads me to believe it is defensive, due to the lack of a Balloon. Lava Plume denting my Magnezone is not something I can risk with Skarmory in the bay, so I switch out.

Turn 1

ChasingAlt called Magnezone back!
ChasingAlt sent out Conkeldurr!

Heatran used Roar!
Accelgor was dragged out!

Accelgor probably is just the standard Spiker set. I can set up Stealth Rock now, but he will be able to get three layers up then thanks to his Focus Sash. That's why I decide to Lava Plume here as I have a 30% chance of him getting only one layer up then, and a maximum of two if Lava Plume doesn't burn.

Tomahawk outpredicts me here and now has the upper hand in momentum. I anticipate that a Lava Plume is coming around the corner, and I need Accelgor to ward off Lati@s later on, so I switch to Starmie for its ability Natural Cure, which will save me from both Lava Plume or Toxic.

Turn 2

ChasingAlt called Accelgor back!
ChasingAlt sent out Starmie!

Heatran used Lava Plume!
It's not very effective... The foe's Starmie lost 26% of its health!

The foe's Starmie restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Unfortunately Starmie comes in and I won't have Stealth Rock as planned. Fortunately I have the perfect Starmie counter in Gastrodon, and I'm going to switch him in. First though, I'm gonna Protect to scout its move and maybe have him Surf me so Gastrodon can get a nice Special Attack boost. Starmie has no setup moves at all, so there's no reason not to Protect at all, and I can scout for a possible Hidden Power Grass.

I'm pretty sure here that Heatran won't stay in, and the two threats that I can see that could come in on a Surf are Lati@s and Gastrodon, the latter of which I definitely do not want happening, because Gastrodon could severly dent my team at +1 Special Attack. I use Ice Beam as a "safe" move here.

Turn 3

Heatran used Protect!
Heatran protected itself!

The foe's Starmie used Ice Beam!
Heatran protected itself from the attack!

He probably Ice Beamed there to hit a Lati@s switchin. However, Gastrodon was a far more obvious switchin, so if he predicted a switch he should probably have used Hidden Power Grass, which confirms he doesn't have it. I can try to stay in on another Ice Beam and set up Stealth Rock, but Starmie might just have Rapid Spin because he has Leftovers and he can then just spin it away next turn, so I just switch to Gastrodon.

Here we encounter the Protect Dilemma! Should I Surf or Ice Beam? What I am thinking here is that because Heatran cannot touch me and the SR is not up yet, the safest move would be to Ice Beam again.

Turn 4

Tomahawk9 called Heatran back!
Tomahawk9 sent out Gastrodon!

A critical hit! Gastrodon lost 34% of its health!

Gastrodon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Starmie will no doubt switch out here. I decide to just use Toxic like I always do when it's Gastrodon vs Starmie since it forces Starmie out should it stay in, and SP doesn't have Pokemon immune to Toxic that aren't setup fodder for Heatran, so not much thinking here.

The CH was lucky, but I did make the correct choice in not Surfing. The thing I most fear about Gastrodon is status, which Starmie takes well, but can't do much back, so I go to Conkeldurr, who has the very helpful ability Guts.

Turn 5

ChasingAlt called Starmie back!

Gastrodon used Toxic!
The foe's Conkeldurr was badly poisoned!

The foe's Conkeldurr is hurt by poison!

Conkeldurr comes in, and while he gets an Attack boost, Toxic still is nice to have on Conkeldurr since he gets worn down by it pretty quickly, so I don't really mind. Now here I have to think. Conkeldurr can just use Drain Punch to hurt me, and a Gengar would be cool there. However, I'm pretty sure SP is going to go for Payback here, predicting a Gengar switchin. Therefore, I just switch in Skarmory to take the Payback and force Conkeldurr out.

This is not very preferrable, since I anticipated a Scald to Burn. At this point, I realize the Toxic damage will add up and that Tomahawk might take advantage of this and switch to Gengar and abuse a Sub + Disable set, which is why I use Payback, since Gastrodon is most assuredly not staying in.

Turn 6

Tomahawk9 called Gastrodon back!
Tomahawk9 sent out Skarmory!

The foe's Conkeldurr used Payback!
It's not very effective... Skarmory lost 8% of its health!

The foe's Conkeldurr restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

That went well, and I'm sure Conkeldurr will switch out now. Seeing as SP has a Magnezone, he will no doubt send him out (I don't know if he knows I have Shed Shell yet) so I Whirlwind him out and let him believe Shed Shell while he probably won't switch to Magnezone again, letting me still get up my layer of Spikes.

This switch is crucial because Skarmory will now get a layer of Spikes down, or KO Conkeldurr with Brave Bird, but I also know that it has Shed Shell due to the lack of Leftovers recovery. I make a brave move and send Magnezone out to try and bluff into a Sub.

Turn 7

ChasingAlt called Conkeldurr back!

Skarmory used Whirlwind!
Haxorus was dragged out!
The foe's Haxorus has Mold Breaker!

That worked out perfectly. Haxorus can't hurt me now, so I can easily get up a layer of Spikes without any trouble.

Roar brings out Haxorus, which is unlucky for me. Haxorus has nothing on Skarmory, I anticipate him setting up a layer of Spikes, so I switch to Starmie here.

Turn 8

ChasingAlt called Haxorus back!

Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of ChasingAlt's team!

Here I expect SP to double switch to Conkeldurr, or maybe Haxorus on my switch to Gastrodon. I therefore switch to Latios, who can force both of them out and launch a Draco Meteor which will do a lot of damage to something on his team. I always try to give Latios as many free attacks as possible,as he wrecks a lot of havock every time he attacks. Latios can also take a Thunderbolt or a Surf in case I mispredict.

He has one layer of Spikes up, but from previous battling experience, I know that letting too many hazards go up is very deadly, so I want to spin them out immediately.

Turn 9

Tomahawk9 called Skarmory back!
Tomahawk9 sent out Latios!

The foe's Starmie used Rapid Spin!
Latios lost 4% of its health!
The foe's Starmie blew away Spikes!

Well, that was unfortunate. I can't keep Latios in now because Ice Beam will hurt a lot, so I switch to Gastrodon to wall Starmie.

I am able to spin away the hazards, but now Latios comes in, so I Ice Beam, not much thinking needed this move because I will be able to hit any viable switchins.

Turn 10

Tomahawk9 called Latios back!

Gastrodon lost 19% of its health!

SP will no doubt switch, and I don't think using Toxic or Scald will make a lot of difference, and seeing that Gastrodon is running a little low on health, I decide to Recover to get back at full health.

Now that his Gastrodon is in, I feel like I need to begin to carry out the plan I had at the beginning, which was rack up Hazards damage on his team. I send out Skarmory with this intent.

Turn 11

ChasingAlt sent out Skarmory!

Gastrodon used Recover!
Gastrodon regained health!

Skarmory will probably set up Stealth Rock here. There's not much I can do about that, but I can use the free turn to switch to Heatran and force him out.

There is not much he can do here so I set up Stealth Rock with Skarmory.

Turn 12

The foe's Skarmory used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Tomahawk9's team!

I don't think SP will risk losing Skarmory here, as he is an important part of his team, being his main counter to Latias, Gengar, and a good switchin to Latios after a Draco Meteor. If I Roar here, his counter will be forced out. Not to mention that if he stays in, there's not much he can do: Skarmory already has SR and Accelgor has Spikes, so he won't set up Spikes, Whirlwind will be outsped with Roar and Brave Bird is 4x resisted.

Based on his previous play with Heatran, I know that he is not keen on playing the obvious move with it, and so I use Spikes with Skarmory, anticipating an SR or a Roar from Heatran.

Turn 13

The foe's Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Tomahawk9's team!

Heatran used Roar!
Conkeldurr was dragged out!

Well, that turn couldn't have gone worse 0.o He set up Spikes while I Roar in his Conkeldurr. Now, I have shown Protect against Starmie to see what move he used, and I'm thinking he will expect me to that here as well. He will probably Bulk Up because of that, and I can therefore switch to Gengar safely, and I can then Substitute to stall out Toxic damage. A Payback now could end my Gengar's life very quickly, but I decide to take the risk.

My prediction was correct, and now Conkeldurr is in. I would assume that he would use Protect to rack up Toxic damage, so I use Bulk Up here.

Turn 14

Tomahawk9 sent out Gengar!
Pointed stones dug into Gengar!

The foe's Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!
The foe's Conkeldurr's Attack rose!
The foe's Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

Well, that kind of makes up for the last turn. I can now easily Substitute, which works out perfectly whether he switches out or not: if he stays in, he will only get more poison damage, and if he switches out, I get a free Substitute.

Tomahawk outpredicts me and brings in Gengar straight out, which leaves me no option but to switch out since the Toxic damage will hurt once Gengar uses Substitute.

Turn 15

ChasingAlt sent out Skarmory!

Gengar used Substitute!
Gengar made a substitute!

Well, free Substitute it is. Skarmory will take a good amount of damage from Focus Blast, though it probably won't come close to a KO. Switching out isn't really an option here, since he will probably Whirlwind.

Because it used Sub, my Skarmory, who doesn’t run an attacking move, has the best option of phazing it out and keeping the momentum on my side of the battle.

Turn 16

Gengar used Focus Blast!
The attack of Gengar missed!

The foe's Skarmory used Whirlwind!
Heatran was dragged out!
Pointed stones dug into Heatran!
Heatran is hurt by spikes!

Heatran restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Well, Focus Blast missed, what a surprise. Anyways, Heatran comes in, which is good for me. I can now Roar again, but I'm getting rather tired of this Roaring, and I want to get up Stealth Rock now.

Heatran will use SR / Lava Plume / Roar here, so my best bet is simply going to Starmie again.

Turn 17

ChasingAlt called Skarmory back!

Heatran used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around ChasingAlt's team!

Starmie is rather annoying. Surf would hurt my Gengar, while Rapid Spin would suck if I switched in Gastrodon. I decide to Protect to see if he wants to attack or spin.

My thinking here is that I absolutely can’t let Gastrodon have a free switch in here, so I use Ice Beam as the safest move.

Turn 18

Heatran used Protect!

Well, Starmie is here to attack. Therefore I decide to switch to Gastrodon, who can take an Ice Beam with ease, and takes a Surf even better should he predict me to stay in.

However, the downside to my playing safe is losing precious PP, which may come in handy later in the game. I want to conserve this PP so I use Rapid Spin to get rid of the hazards.

Turn 19

Pointed stones dug into Gastrodon!
Gastrodon is hurt by spikes!

The foe's Starmie used Rapid Spin!
Gastrodon lost 3% of its health!
The foe's Starmie blew away Stealth Rock!

That turn turned out pretty bad. He spun Stealth Rock away, which sucks. Fortunately, he's forced to switch. He will probably switch back to Conkeldurr, so there's no reason to Toxic. Scald will deal a good amount of damage to Conkeldurr, while also having a chance of burning Haxorus should he come in.

This turn turns out well, but now I am forced to switch. Looking at the game so far, I realize I need to change up the pace, and I send out Haxorus to do just just, risking a Burn from Scald.

Turn 20

ChasingAlt sent out Haxorus!

Gastrodon used Scald!
It's not very effective... A critical hit! The foe's Haxorus lost 41% of its health!
The foe's Haxorus was burned!

The foe's Haxorus is hurt by its burn!

I get the burn, fortunately. Now, I think SP will predict a switch to Skarmory here and switch to Magnezone. I haven't switched out of Magnezone yet, so he might still think I'm Leftovers. He could also use Outrage here, foddering Haxorus to at least do some damage. I therefore decide to switch to Heatran, who can beat a Magnezone switchin, while also being able to take an Outrage.

My risk, unfortunately, does not pay off, and I save Haxorus as fodder, and bring out Magnezone to hopefully catch Heatran or Skarmory.

Turn 21

ChasingAlt called Haxorus back!

Magnezone comes in while my Heatran comes in, a good matchup for me. I can set up Stealth Rock on the switch, but he will just spin those hazards away after. I prefer to Roar here because I will scout a switch, and he will be forced to send out a Pokemon he doesn't want to send out. He also might take a risk here and Sub, which I don't want to happen, so I just Roar.

This goes according to plan, and because he runs the Specially Defensive variant, SR is the best move here for him to use to rack up damage from a later Roar. I use Substitute rather than Thunderbolt to keep my forward momentum.

Turn 22

The foe's Magnezone used Substitute!
The foe's Magnezone made a substitute!

Heatran used Roar!
Haxorus was dragged out!

Haxorus is probably Choiced, and since I have the feeling he will sac him now, I decide to Protect to see what he does and send out the appropriate switchin.

I am really worried at this point because Haxorus is now the weakest link in my team, and I can’t have Lati@s coming in free on a weakened EQ, so I use Outrage, and effectively sac Haxorus.

Turn 23

Heatran used Protect!

The foe's Haxorus used Outrage!

He Outrages. Heatran can take a burned Outrage and finish off Haxorus with Lava Plume, so that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

Turn 24

The foe's Haxorus used Outrage!
It's not very effective... Heatran lost 22% of its health!

Heatran used Lava Plume!
It's not very effective... The foe's Haxorus lost 22% of its health!

The foe's Haxorus fainted!

Starmie has never even Surfed once against Heatran, so he either lacks Surf, or just doesn't want to use it against my Heatran. Therefore, I use this oppurtunity to set up Stealth Rock, bring in Gengar on the Rapid Spin, and Gastrodon on the Surf. That way, I can actually keep Stealth Rock on the field.

Now that Haxorus is done for, I bring Starmie in to counter Heatran. I want to use Thunderbolt here so I don’t waste any more Ice Beam PP, which is dwindling at around 10 PP at this point.

Turn 25

The foe's Starmie used Thunderbolt!
Heatran lost 16% of its health!
Heatran was paralyzed!

Heatran is paralyzed! It can't move!

The parahax really sucked for me, as my prediction would have paid off. However, this confirms for me that he is running Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Recover / Rapid Spin. However, he still could be running Surf > Recover, so I decide to switch to Gastrodon just in case.

This para is very lucky, but I doubt that it had any lasting effect on Heatran’s survivability. He won’t stay in at this point, and probably expects me to Surf it since it is weakened, which I anticipate and go to Conkeldurr to face the guaranteed Gastrodon.

Turn 26

I don't think Conkeldurr wil Bulk Up here, as that turn would just be wasted when I switch in Gengar again. I think SP will Payback to hit Gengar or Lati@s when I switch one of those in. Skarmory can take a Payback with ease and force Conkeldurr out, and can also take a Drain Punch in case I predict wrong.

I anticipate another switch to Gengar or Lati@s, so I use Payback here in hopes of catching one of them off guard.

Turn 27

Pointed stones dug into Skarmory!

The foe's Conkeldurr used Payback!
It's not very effective... Skarmory lost 8% of its health!

SP will probably go to Magnezone here, so I decide to just reveal my Shed Shell this time. Because he will switch in Magnezone here and not Starmie, he won't be able to spin away the hazards right away, so I can finally get some hazards up here to wear down SP's Pokemon easier.

I fear a BB here from Skarmory, so I switch to Magnezone to resist it. In terms of my late game planning at this point, I want to weaken his team further, particularly Gastrodon, so that I can pull off an Accelgor or Starmie sweep, since he has no sturdy Special Wall.

Turn 28

Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of ChasingAlt's team!

The foe's Magnezone restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Magnezone will either Thunderbolt here or Substitute, with Thunderbolt being more likely as I could just phaze out his Sub and I wouldn't be trapped anymore in that case (assuming I'm not Shed Shell). I therefore switch to Gastrodon, who is immune to Thunderbolt and can also beat Magnezone easily even when he gets a Sub up, seeing as most are Sub / Charge Beam / Thunderbolt / HP Fire.

I expect him not to switch out like last time, so I use Thunderbolt. In hindsight, a double switch here to Conkeldurr would have been very beneficial.

Turn 29

Tomahawk9 called Skarmory back!

The foe's Magnezone used Thunderbolt!
It had no effect!

The foe's Magnezone restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Seeing as SP will no doubt switch here, I deicde to take the opportunity to Recover back to full health, to combat the incoming Pokemon better.

With Gastrodon in, it is free to use Recover, while I need to shift the momentum to my side soon, otherwise will be in trouble in the endgame with weakened pokemon.

Turn 30

ChasingAlt called Magnezone back!
ChasingAlt sent out Accelgor!
The foe's Accelgor is hurt by spikes!

Gastrodon used Recover!
Gastrodon regained health!

For some reason I still think Accelgor is the Spiker set here, even though Skarmory has already shown Spikes. Accelgor can't do a lot to Gastrodon who has a high amount of Special Defensive investment, and by running a quick calc, I see that Accelgor is 2HKOed back, so I attack.

Accelgor is one of the most underrated pokemon in this metagame in my opinion, with a great speed stat and decent SpAtk, it can pull off a late game sweep and has been a lifesaver for me. Its unpredictable moveset and also catch some off guard. I use Giga Drain in the hopes of doing so.

Turn 31

The foe's Accelgor used Giga Drain!
It's super-effective! Gastrodon lost 71% of its health!
Gastrodon had its energy drained!
The foe's Accelgor is hurt by its life orb!

Gastrodon used Scald!
The foe's Accelgor lost 46% of its health!

Ouch. Accelgor is the Life Orb sweeper set, and did a lot of damage to Gastrodon there. However, Accelgor has kind of limited coverage. I can switch in Gengar here to take the Giga Drain, which doesn't 2HKO. I can then take ou with Shadow Ball after. Bug Buzz does even less. Hidden Power Ice could ruin my Gengar here, so I just hope he uses Recover over Hidden Power Ice, which is the better option in my opinion.

This turn works out perfectly for me and I am able to dent Gastrodon enough so that EH damage will do enough damage to put it into the KO range of Starmie’s Ice Beam. I use the same move again to be safe.

Turn 32

Tomahawk9 sent out Gengar!
Pointed stones dug into Gengar!

The foe's Accelgor used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... Gengar lost 24% of its health!
Gengar had its energy drained!

I Shadow Ball here, to see if he has Hidden Power Ice. If he doesn't, Gengar will take him out with Shadow Ball. If he does, I can easily kill it with Life Orb damage.

Again, he does not know my moveset, so I use HP Ice to catch Gengar off guard.

Turn 33

The foe's Accelgor used Hidden Power!
Gengar lost 25% of its health!

Gengar fainted!

I decide to switch in Heatran here. If Focus Blast misses, I can take out Accelgor with Lava Plume. In case, Focus Blast doesn't miss, Heatran faints but he isn't really that important for the win anyway, because forcing out Skarmory and Magnezone won't really help a Lati@s sweep.

Doing a damage calc, Accelgor does 51.3% - 60.6% to Specially Defensive Heatran with Focus MISS, so as long as it hits I should be fine.

Turn 34

The foe's Accelgor used Focus Blast!
The attack of the foe's Accelgor missed!

Heatran used Lava Plume!
It's super-effective! The foe's Accelgor lost 34% of its health!

The foe's Accelgor fainted!

The foe's Magnezone is hurt by spikes!

Magnezone? Well, I don't mind, Lava Plume can take it out, while Thunderbolt won't KO at my current health, so I decide to just Lava Plume.

Of course it had to miss *facepalms. I want to keep pressure on Heatran so I use intend on sacking Magnezone to allow Conkeldurr to come in.

Turn 35

The foe's Magnezone used Thunderbolt!
Heatran lost 28% of its health!

Heatran used Lava Plume!
It's super-effective! The foe's Magnezone lost 75% of its health!

The foe's Magnezone fainted!

The foe's Conkeldurr is hurt by spikes!

With Conkeldurr getting outpredicted every time he came in this battle, I think he will just go with Drain Punch here, so I switch to Latios to take it, and take something down with Draco Meteor.

Turn 36

Tomahawk9 sent out Latios!
Pointed stones dug into Latios!

The foe's Conkeldurr used Drain Punch!
It's not very effective... Latios lost 38% of its health!
Latios had its energy drained!

SP has Conkeldurr, Skarmory and Starmie left here. The only thing being able to take a Draco Meteor here is Skarmory, but I'm not sure if it can take two of them, and I don't think he will switch here as Conkeldurr will just be taken out by Skarmory pretty easily and he won't be able to get a Conkeldurr sweep.

I Drain Punched here because I wanted recovery to survive an LO Dragon Pulse from Latios. I use Drain Punch again here for good measure.

Turn 37

Latios used Draco Meteor!
The foe's Conkeldurr lost 77% of its health!

The foe's Conkeldurr fainted!
Latios's Special Attack sharply fell!

The foe's Starmie is hurt by spikes!

That worked out. I can switch now, but I'm just gonna sacrifice Latios here. He will never be able to beat Starmie, and Skarmory is easy to take with other members as well, so I sac Latios here.

Turn 38

It's super-effective! Latios lost 44% of its health!

Latios fainted!

I sent Gastrodon out here, being able to take an Ice Beam and Toxic Starmie, but when I send in Gastrodon I notice entry hazards did a lot of damage, and I'm not sure if Gastrodon is able to take an Ice Beam now...

Latios….GONE!!!!

Turn 39

Gastrodon lost 16% of its health!

Gastrodon fainted!

Well, Heatran can take him on, since he doesn't have Surf.

YOU’RE OUT!

Heatran fainted!

Those entry hazards are really pissing me off >.< I now decide to sac every Pokemon I have and send out Latias to set up and sweep while Skarmory can't phaze me out.

C’est la vie monsieur!

Pointed stones dug into Skarmory!

Now here is where my decisions begin to get tough. I can choose to kill off Skarmory to get a Latias v Starmie/Skarm endgame, or switch to Skarmory and Whirlwind around to get Latias into KO range for my Starmie. In the end I decide to just go for the Freeze hax endgame with Starmie v Latias, since I am risking hazards coming up with Skarmory and Latias doing CM + Roar since it is faster than my Skarmory and will pull off a Phaze first.

Turn 40

The foe's Starmie used Thunderbolt!
It's super-effective! Skarmory lost 58% of its health!

Skarmory fainted!

Tomahawk9 sent out Latias!
Pointed stones dug into Latias!

Okay, Ice Beam will do a lot, but I'll have to Calm Mind and see if I can take another Ice Beam after.

Here comes the moment(s) of truth….

Turn 41

It's super-effective! Latias lost 44% of its health!

Latias used Calm Mind!
Latias's Special Attack rose!
Latias's Special Defense rose!

Latias restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Yes! Now I just have to set up some more Calm Minds while Roosting. However, I need to do it fast, becaue a freeze could be crucial here.

9PP left Pray for a freeze

Turn 42

It's super-effective! Latias lost 26% of its health!

Latias used Roost!
Latias landed on the ground!
Latias regained health!

8 PP

Turn 43

It's super-effective! Latias lost 28% of its health!

Latias used Calm Mind!
Latias's Special Attack rose!
Latias's Special Defense rose!

7 PP Please…

Turn 44

It's super-effective! Latias lost 22% of its health!

Latias used Roost!
Latias landed on the ground!
Latias regained health!

Okay, I have set up enough now while risking a freeze, I decide to Dragon Pulse now, hopefully taking out Starmie and sealing the game for me.

6 PP I beg you….I will show you all of MoP’s teams if you do…

Turn 45

It's super-effective! Latias lost 20% of its health!
Latias was frozen solid!

Latias is frozen solid!

Or not, I guess I shouldn't have waited so long. However, if I won't be frozen for long, I can take a few Ice Beams and Roost back to full health when I unfreeze. Let's just hope I'm not frozen for long.

5 PP Success!! Now for it not to unfreeze!

Turn 46

It's super-effective! A critical hit! Latias lost 75% of its health!

Latias fainted!

ChasingAlt won the battle!

:o I guess I shouldn't have risked the crit + freeze that much. Good game San_Pellegrino, I enjoyed it!

The CH seals the deal, ending a very good battle that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, whatever the outcome. Good game Tomahawk!

Great battle. It had a lot of predictions from both sides. It wasn't very exciting but very interesting. The layout was picture perfect and love the little health bars.
Overall a 8/10

Pretty good battle, I enjoyed the commentary, and it only really got hax filled at the end. There was excellent prediction on both sides. 8/10

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This warstory was pretty good, but I don't think either of you are being entirely honest in your comments when it comes to prediction.

There are several moves in this battle that can only be described as total misplays. Absolutely nothing good could have come from them, though in most cases you were lucky enough not for them to backfire. People make mistakes, but both of you claim on a couple of occasions to have actually predicted your opponent making said mistake. I find this very hard to believe.

For future reference, don't be too keen to use Roar/Whirlwind. On three occasions Tomahawk used phazing moves when in a very advantageous situation with no hazards up. At best, you force in a Pokemon weak to the one you had out, and are thus in a similar situation to the one you started in, having gained almost nothing, barring perhaps assessing your opponents playing style. At worst, you force in an opponent that beats yours, and have surrendered the opportunity to set up hazards or do some damage. Similarly, SP used Substitute with Magnezone on Heatran, which is nothing short of an awful move. I have no idea what you expected to gain from that at all.

Overall, though, these didn't much matter, and as such I consider this to be a decent warstory. It looks great too.

I agree that I used too much phazing moves, and I should have just set up entry hazards. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Pretty good, although as wacky said it wasn't very exciting. Hax at the end sucks but other than that good job.

I get annoyed with people complaining about hax "ruining" war stories, especially in situations where hax turns from being an annoying factor that can unfairly change the course of games into part of the strategy. Times when facing Calm Mind users are one of those instances. That last section of this match wasn't "ruined" by hax, SP used probability to his advantage. Between criticals and freeze hax, there was a very good chance he'd get one or the other before Latias could get enough calm minds.

Anyway, away from that little pet peeve. Really liked this warstory. Even though it might not have been full of exciting shenanigans, it was a very good illustration of both the power entry hazards can have, and of how prediction (and over prediction) can affect the flow of battle (leading to some of those "terrible misplays" jc complained about. Again, another pet peeve of mine is people seeing misplays as somehow detracting from a warstory. A warstory without misplays would be dull and unbelievable). It was informative and interesting. I personally find that a pleasant read.

I don't give number ratings as a general rule, so that's all I got to say for now :P

This warstory was pretty good, barring some weird misplays /: and I think that Latias shouldn't have tried to get up to +6/+6 when it could probably have swept at +3/+3. Formatting was amazing though; 8/10

I was almost saying this was the best warstory I've ever read. Double good and insightful commentary, good format, nice predictions....

But then, in the most crucial point, the end, it all turns to hax appearing or not. For me, such thing almost ruined the whole thing.

Even so, both of you have a lot of potential.

I'd give a 7/10.

A good WS although I think there are quite a lot of hax
And how come you kept thinking he would fall for Shed Shell since there was no Leftovers recovery at the very early moment

Besides that, it was great overall
Thanks aesoft for making this awesome app btw

I'm never certain how I feel about duel commentary...

The formatting was decent enough; I certainly have no objections against the 'Aesoft Format' it's simple and visually appealing.

The battle itself was fairly entertaining.

Okay, jc104, I read all my comments (the blue one) and besides the Roar/Whirlwind thing, I can't find what you mean. Could you say where exactly?

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I may have exaggerated somewhat. There are a couple of cases where one of you acknowledges a misplay as a good move. Maybe this is simply another mistake, rather than a lack of honesty. I apologise.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I loved your formatting and your style! That was a lot of fun. The dual commentary further helped the narrative as both battlers were accounted for. As a minor comment, I wish you have put who would be writing in which color right at the start. That caused a bit of confusion.

Other than that, my only major objection was that this battle was kind of... boring? Not even that. Hmm. I can't think of the right word. But I never wanted to jump out of my seat and go "OH SNAP" or gawk at an awesome KO (Starmie was alright at the end). The only moderately interesting Pokemon was Accelgor, which played a very minor role in this warstory. To me personally, the best warstories always have something unexpected, new, and refreshing in them. This definitely wasn't a bad read by any means! I just feel that something unique would have been icing on the cake.

I loved your formatting and your style! That was a lot of fun. The dual commentary further helped the narrative as both battlers were accounted for. As a minor comment, I wish you have put who would be writing in which color right at the start. That caused a bit of confusion.

Other than that, my only major objection was that this battle was kind of... boring? Not even that. Hmm. I can't think of the right word. But I never wanted to jump out of my seat and go "OH SNAP" or gawk at an awesome KO (Starmie was alright at the end). The only moderately interesting Pokemon was Accelgor, which played a very minor role in this warstory. To me personally, the best warstories always have something unexpected, new, and refreshing in them. This definitely wasn't a bad read by any means! I just feel that something unique would have been icing on the cake.
This sums up my thoughts absolutely perfectly.

I really love dual commentary! formatting was great too. I have to agree on the battle being somewhat "boring" though. 8/10

Liked the Warstory, but it could have done with a little more reminders, like with stating how many Pokemon are left whenever one faints.

Loved the way how Blue felt really sneaky about Skarmory's Shed Shell while Red outright new that it was holding one. This is why I love Dual Warstories, it's interesting to see the thought process of two people at the same time about the same event.

8/10 for the battle, a non-weather one is really rare, and both teams are really good (even if i like Magnezone only if scarfed), 100000000/10 for the Warstory, is absolutely the best one i've ever see! Images are amazing, and with doube comments we can understand the perspectives of the two battlers... FAV :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)