General What brought you to Smogon?

jay

I’m thinking bout changing the culture
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I got recommended Pokemon Showdown by a friend, then shortly after I was recommended smogon, so after lurking for a while I decided to make an account.

Last edited:
I saw a friend play on Pokemon Showdown and it looked like fun so I joined it. Then my butt kept getting whooped as I am not the best in Pokemon team building against real people so I went to Smogon and it helped me a lot though I still have much to learn. So I decided to join it and here I am.

Massively over thinking and ester egg I would have in a future pokemon game if I could resulted in me trying to think of a team good enough to tear people a new one with only 5 members. and Then I stated playing and Sucking at Showdown.

Back in Gen 5, I was that stereotypical person who thought that his lv 100 Emboar with Blast Burn would win everything. I soon realized that I was being stupid, and started lurking on PS to get better. Even then, I sucked a lot, and left for about a year. I came back in October of last year, and instantly noticed an improvement. I realized that I didn't really feel like building my teams in-game, but I wanted to have some value in replaying the games. I did a Nuzlocke or two, but started getting bored. That's when I stumbled across the Scramble and Gauntlet Challenge Forums, and I haven't looked back.

Also I binge-read the Smog. A lot.

A friend introduced me to Pokemon Showdown approximately 2 years ago, I played it for a while but eventually drifted away from it. I have been playing it on-and-off for a while now, but recently have gotten into it and this time it's a bit more serious. I thought it would make sense for me to sign up on Smogon's forums since this seems to be the main site for competitive Pokemon battling - so here I am!

I have also gotten more involved with uploading Pokemon content to my YouTube channel - posting Showdown battles and soon-to-be some Pack Openings (which I am very exited about) and potentially a Nuzlocke on an old game such as Emerald or Fire Red.

If am permitted to do a shameless plug then please check out my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokenguin). Currently I am at a humble 21 subscribers, but am hoping to grow little-by-little in the coming days.

Thank you, Smogon users, for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post. I look forward to meeting and befriending some of you in the near future!! :)

I came to smogon to meet new people that share common interest as me (mainly Pokemon, of course). I had friends that I played Pokemon with all the time a long while back but they don't play anymore, or we just don't talk. I'm here to learn more about and become better at competitive play. At first I thought competitive battling was really difficult but I know I can learn. I hope to befriend many of you. ^_^

I came to Smogon to finally complete my breeding ambitions and create a trade shop later on whilst meeting new people and making friends. Also to get better at competitive battling overall. I also know some people here from Marriland in which they prefer legitimate Pokemon as much as I.

See you around and thanks for having me!

I used gamefaqs a lot and theres like a split between people who hate smogon's rules because they banned greninja and then those who follow smogon because it's like the standard battling ruleset. I lurked smogon since pokemon x and y came out but i never made an account until recently because of the landorus suspect test. i really hate landorus so i decided to join in on the conversation and maybe even vote if i can make it that high on the ladder! but mainly, the split between "smogon sucks" and "smogon rules" on gamefaqs brought me here because i was kinda tired of it lol.

A mixture of Pokeaim and wanting to build teams for pokemon emerald battle frontier and the sets that Smogon suggest on the dex are generally pretty solid and sexy af.
(however they neglect to highlight counters to double team curse regirock / umbreon :(( :p)

I lurked for a while without an account, and I saw several questions I could answer in the forums, so I decided to make an account. Also, I was started on PS! by my friends.

I used Smogon as a reference for a long time; I was a member of several other small forums where Wifi battles were the name of the game. I've never been a fan of hacking perfect IV Pokémon into the game using Action Replay or similar product, so when I moved to a different forum I started getting my butt whooped. At that time, the simulator was Shoddy Battle, and I honestly didn't like it too much, and I started playing Nuzlockes instead because competitive battling was not as fun anymore and I didn't like the simulator, so I had to find a new avenue to play Pokémon.

When PS! became the simulator of choice, I decided to give it a chance, and really enjoyed it! It was easy to navigate, and was fun and easy to play. Just here recently is when I finally decided to make a Smogon account, because I wanted to have access to the community and I had trolled the forums and read The Smog for a long time before, so it just seemed like the next logical step.

aim This guy for the most part. I've also played Showdown for a few years. I decided now would be the time to join and get to know the community better and hopefully meet some frens :]

I came to spam. And to hand out hypothetical cookies.

Honestly I came because there's some pretty useful info on here. And also to talk to people. And to have my team rated. And to moan. And to trade. And to over use the word and.

Hello SMOGON!!! :D (Let's out a roar of excitement)

I feel like I'm in Pokemon Paradise!

I have been familiar with Smogon for a long time and, very recently, I have decided to join the Forums! So, a bit of a story time for everyone. :3

When I first heard of Smogon, I got the wrong idea because of people spreading misinformation and was very toxic and ban-happy due to all of the bans and rules they enforced. Ironically enough, it was the negatives that brought me to Smogon. I believed it for a while until I joined a group that was dedicated to battling and Smogon related topics and education. That's when everything changed. People associated with Smogon don't have an elitist attitude or slam down others. All Smogon wants to do is help out players by making tiers to help balance metagames out to allow players to have a better understanding in battles. Smogon also has dedicated YEARS of researching for Pokemon and has structured tiers and clauses, something Nintendo doesn't quite take into account (example, Mega Rayquaza being broken AF). I want to thank you all for allowing me into your turf and I wish only the best to come from this experience and hope to make many friends and share many videos with you all, as I have a YouTube channel dedicated to Pokemon content.

For those curious, please Inbox me as I do not want to publicly post my channel as it may be mistaken as advertising which I don't want to get a reprimand for. :]

Thank you very much, Smogon!

Cheers! :]

Last edited:
Pretty simple, really, I got into competitive just before X and Y came out and tried to build a few teams. Needless to say it didn't end well. When I discovered Smogon (I believe it was through The Dex) I was really excited to see an entire community of other Pokémon fans, but I was sort of afraid of seeming like a total idiot. After a bit of scoping out I never found people to be very judgemental of less-skilled players.

Pretty simple, really, I got into competitive just before X and Y came out and tried to build a few teams. Needless to say it didn't end well. When I discovered Smogon (I believe it was through The Dex) I was really excited to see an entire community of other Pokémon fans, but I was sort of afraid of seeming like a total idiot. After a bit of scoping out I never found people to be very judgemental of less-skilled players.
No need to be afraid fren :] we are all here to help!

Heh thanks, I realized being afraid was a bit unreasonable especially if I wanted to improve my team building and battling skills.
I was exactly like that before too! But thanks to a group of friends in a Facebook Group, Pokemon Central, my thoughts have changed completely..now I'm eager to either ask for help or give help :]

What brought me to smogon? The great community of people it has, the skills and battling. I love it all. When I first came, everyone was so nice and welcoming. I am kinda new to the forums though, do do excuse any strange mistakes I make. Thank you for reading. ^^

~Layton

What brought me to smogon? The great community of people it has, the skills and battling. I love it all. When I first came, everyone was so nice and welcoming. I am kinda new to the forums though, do do excuse any strange mistakes I make. Thank you for reading. ^^

~Layton
I've been welcomed with the same things as well! :] The Smogon community is amazing!

A friend introduced me to Pokemon Showdown approximately 2 years ago, I played it for a while but eventually drifted away from it. I have been playing it on-and-off for a while now, but recently have gotten into it and this time it's a bit more serious. I thought it would make sense for me to sign up on Smogon's forums since this seems to be the main site for competitive Pokemon battling - so here I am!

I have also gotten more involved with uploading Pokemon content to my YouTube channel - posting Showdown battles and soon-to-be some Pack Openings (which I am very exited about) and potentially a Nuzlocke on an old game such as Emerald or Fire Red.

If am permitted to do a shameless plug then please check out my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokenguin). Currently I am at a humble 21 subscribers, but am hoping to grow little-by-little in the coming days.

Thank you, Smogon users, for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post. I look forward to meeting and befriending some of you in the near future!! :)
I'm gonna check out your channel! :] I have one too my friend :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd9FpRgodQD47ZYFy2e7K3w

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow Smogon members what brought me to Smogon was watching Xenon3120 and Shofu(both were playing showdown) So I gave it a shot and it was very addicting

I started playing at the start of BW2. I had been playing some WiFi before so I knew the basics. One day I asked how to get perfect IV mons and someone directed me to Showdown saying you didn't need to breed stuff and train them. I was completely sold and that naturally brought me to the forums

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)