Serious What can be done about terrorism?

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
So, the elephant in the room here really seems to be religion. On all sides we have fanatics. We have extreme Christians, Muslims, and Jews who all want different things. I'm not talking about the humble and just believer; I'm talking about the ones that believe in end time prophecy and are actively working in order to see it fulfilled. This isnt just about land or money people-this is way deeper and darker. You might or might not be surprised but a lot of powerful people are actually NOT satanists despite what the media shoves down your throat. We have two religions in particular that really have it out for each other, we all know who I'm talking about. Neither will rest until 1)they destroy the other or 2) they destroy each other. If you are neither a Jew or a Muslim I think it would be best to not involve yourself in matters that don't concern you-too bad George W. didn't get that memo! It's ultimately out of our control and not much at all can be done to keep the martyr from sacrifice or to keep the "chosen" from what they feel belongs to them.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Terrorism, like any other phenomena, might be explained as an affect of causes. Terrorism is invoked for multiple purposes, and thus it evidently has multiple meanings. I will actually not offer any definition of terrorism nor speak of any particular act as a terrorist act, in this post. Notice, everyone else in this thread has decided to discuss terrorism without having a definition or even pointing to a context, so im not doing something new, I just am aware of the significance of that. I will admit that from my perspective, nearly every post in this thread is pretty much propaganda or else about 'nothing' at all.

Strictly speaking, we can see that the phenomena of terrorism is viewed under separate causal frameworks depending on where it happens.

From what is written about terrorism in the Global South, terrorism is explained as a strictly political phenomena urgently related to sectarian/ethnic conflicts and failures in state-building/regional organization levels. Sunni-Shiite clashes (and notice decknites mention of moderate clerics invokes this assumption, and if we look further we see that ' the sunnis' are described as 'the moderates' most often, so convenient for Saudi Arabian aristocrats and Egyptian militaries, how unfortunate for 'Iran', and isn't it all so convenient for right-wng Israeli politicians?), Islamic terror, 'sectarian violence', palestinians are figured as terrorists but Israeli politicians straight out admit that South African apartheid is their model for 'dealing with palestinians'.

For the Global North, terrorism is given (at least) 2 possible additional ways of explaining it, first a psychological explanation that places a pathology in an individual (the lone wolf), and then there is (an) additional political explanation(s) that basically all come down to terrorism as a consequence of alienation from the democratic process (the 'rightwing wackos' and the 'leftwing enviro-terrorists').

That terrorism is the cause of alienation from a democratic process is really even too simplistic a formulation. Many 'political scientists' would just as soon say it is caused by alienation from some economic process. But the reply is just that when we say 'democratic process' it is already obvious that it is said equivocally to 'economic process'. Jumpluff mentioned how tired a debate this is becoming. Still the op asked about what can be done and so above, I have mentioned a common discussion about causes of stability: causes related to the political environment, causes related to economic conditions, etc. Expanding access to political institutions and increasing economic infrastructure could be taken as steps that address the political cause of terrorism taken as alienation that results in a particular form of violence. Political instability is obviously both a cause and consequence of 'poverty'. Thus, there are few simple steps to addressing terrorism.

Finally, there is a question about 'scope' or 'lens' of analysis with terrorism. For example: should terrorism be taken as a regional phenomena? If the democratic process is taken to be the revolution itself (this is not a leap, just a definition), then alienation from the democratic process will be a regional phenomena, this is because revolutions are always regional phenomena in so far as any counter-revolutionary activity stems from the regions' elites. Is terrorism a global phenomena? How is terrorism related to nationalism? Doesn't any nationalism, in figuring the nation, also locate the non-nation inside the nation, that which is to become the terrorist?

Someone might be critical of all the frameworks I have mentioned so far, and point out that terrorism could merely a word/term that obfuscates legitimate grievances that have been, or are desired to be, shut out of a political discourse. Thus 'terrorism' finally becomes an ideology (of security) that produces the terrorist, which never existed before. How does knowledge of the terrorist inform, intersect, become or resist, knowledge of the refugee. This is a question about how the figure of the terrorist is mobilized in discussions about particular issues or discussions about some particular context. For example, if we are saying that the terrorist is one who is alienated from a state's democratic process, and the refugee is presumably one who is necessarily unable to even be in their state safely, it seems almost too easy to view the refugee as the terrorist as analytically they tick many of the same boxes.

As for the arab spring: there is a clear pattern where 'revolutions' don't happen, no matter how many people are involved, if outside powers are willing enough to prevent it. Maybe terrorism must be given a global analysis, especially if the juxtaposition of the refugee and the terrorist is to be contextualized in actual cases of refugees becoming terrorists (how does this process unfold? in Saudi Arabia, Syria, Israel, Palestine). A cross-case analysis would no doubt illuminate the ways in which terrorism has no fixed meaning but is put to use as a term in security ideologies that have different consequences for different bodies.

My position is that terrorism belongs to a special class of phenomena that are apparent because they have no verifiable origins. Thus it can only be intervened on at a structural level, as the capacity for terrorism will not be diminished by military defeat, as weapons just get spread around more and more and terrorism was originally 'invented' as a tactic to be used in asymmetric warfare, i.e, against a militarized enemy. Terrorism exists because there are terrorists obviously, if only there were something else there (and you can wonder why I NEVER lack for work in the oh so politically stable environs of california, but does it really seem like a conspiracy? it's not actually that difficult).

The Raven 's video is very instructive for getting at the definition of terrorism used by security firms and institutions, which basically moves to deepen or invoke a conflation between terrorism and guerrilla warfare. For them (the security) it's fine, just being safe/smart really, but as a broader political security program it isn't sustainable and mainly encourages terrorism by enticing 'the bureaucracy'/politicians in power into backing-up unpopular regimes through violence. Another consequence is that there is a real possibility, as in Iran, that a state politics established by relatively popular revolution will be viewed as a terrorist state for several generations. This becomes especially problematic for nationals of such 'pariah states' that find themselves forced to migrate, as they will be discriminated against in the next state due to their suspect nationality.

decknite you also want to eradicate the non-believers (infidels) and build a theocracy so wtf are you to wag fingers at ISIS anyway?

I would tell everyone to just trust me on this analysis of terrorism that im giving, as i actually know 'terrorists' with real files with the fbi and errything, but it's really decknite who seems to be best displaying the terrorist mentality itt so maybe you should take him at his word and strap up. You're always free to take back your misery.

The people who plan these wars and design the political objectives particular to each of the wars are not thinking about promoting moderate clerics, they're worried about what infrastructure and systems are already in place and whether they'll be able to stay long enough to entice communities to realize an externally-backed political/economic transition. Oh it's hella fucked up: the war is fucked up enough to get sickos like decknite off, and thats just a component of the politics of war that we sign up for each time we resort to violence to solve structural problems: terrorists are made of the winners and the losers. But the militaries, or at least some components of the militaries, know the actual business, at least in theory, of intervening on terrorist spawning environments and it has nothing to do with ideologies and moderate clerics.

I feel prompted to post a reply to Bughouse 's 'assertion' that no one on these forums knows about palestinian politics. Well, I think you'd be so surprised who organized bds within the UC. I know at least two who are into pokemon pretty hardcore. So don't feel that its all so bad if this thread is full of shitty posts. you're right that so far no one has posted anything close to a realistic comment about it in this thread, but people are literally already on zionist security blacklisting websites, that means they cannot enter palestine, can never see their fam (if fam is even alive). What would it look like to 'credential up' in a thread about political instability? What if you just posted some semblance of the truth of the matter about Israel and Palestine? That would be more than enough to come up under certain laws about anti-semitism, for example. Oh yes, it would be unenforcible: you would win in court against it. But if someone wanted to, there is a law set up for them to come at you in court just that much more easily. So, speech in this thread is absolutely restricted, in many more ways than the two I just mentioned. But there is some nice propaganda itt, some pretty bs, some total obfuscation. Nothing more than I would expect to encounter in the comments section of the guardian or a facebook post from a zionist propaganda page, but beyond what youd see from mainstream western journos covering day to day events. It's all so very professional it could even seem like some conspiracy, but it's not, it's just conformity: rehearse enough lines, then they cant help but be regurgitated. It's funny to me, the consistency of the lines I see, as though all have decided that if they just repeat the lines over and over there won't be apartheid and there wont be genocide. And we know the perpetrators will silence their victims and then blame them for not speaking. Bughouse seems to implicitly suggest that it's no accident that the people who have the time to post in this thread are posting seemingly 'on behalf of' a certain end. All I will say is that the propaganda has intensified and become more violent, as defeat on the left-international stage has approached. That is reassuring in a way, unless you're liable to be sued, criminalized, disenfranchised, or physically attacked because of your participation in boycotting zionist enterprises.

So, the elephant in the room here really seems to be religion. On all sides we have fanatics. We have extreme Christians, Muslims, and Jews who all want different things. I'm not talking about the humble and just believer; I'm talking about the ones that believe in end time prophecy and are actively working in order to see it fulfilled. This isnt just about land or money people-this is way deeper and darker. You might or might not be surprised but a lot of powerful people are actually NOT satanists despite what the media shoves down your throat. We have two religions in particular that really have it out for each other, we all know who I'm talking about. Neither will rest until 1)they destroy the other or 2) they destroy each other. If you are neither a Jew or a Muslim I think it would be best to not involve yourself in matters that don't concern you-too bad George W. didn't get that memo! It's ultimately out of our control and not much at all can be done to keep the martyr from sacrifice or to keep the "chosen" from what they feel belongs to them.
Even if you want to narrow it down to just this specific aspect, religion is still not the elephant in the room. I say this as someone that's totally devoid of it: religion is pretty chill. You followed up with an actual problem, which is fanaticism / extremism / however else you want to say "going too far."

Religion should be setting your mind at ease, a sort of outlet that lets you look past the generally shittiness that the world enjoys hurling your way. There are those that just won't touch it, others that dabble in it on the weekend, and even daily practitioners that are really chill. But fanaticism is an entirely different beast... We're talking a serious, dangerous addiction. Think about what some addicts will do for their next fix, and then tack on the concept of eternity. It's a scary premise that's a horrifying reality.

This is starting to veer off-topic, though. There are more than just religious terrorists, and there's religious terrorism that's not even involved with the Mid East. You're right that it's ultimately out of our control, but the OP poses another interesting question:
People from more "stable" countries might suggest for the unhappy ones to go protest or something but really what can a person do if their government is corrupt or if those that speak out are silenced through violence?.
Specifically, what can an individual do in such a scenario? I'm assuming we're all in agreement on the "not murdering innocent civilians" thing, since that's the general point of this thread. Now remove rights of speech, religion, and assembly. What can you, as an individual, do? With restricted freedoms, corrupt authority, fanatic rebels, and violent-yet-apathetic third parties looming in, how do you yell loud enough that the others hear you?

Reactions: JES

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Myzozoa that might be like the first cong post of yours I've ever mostly agreed with. I think you did a good job analyzing terrorism - that there just isn't an easy answer for why or for how to solve it. And you backed that up with good reasoning based on evident knowledge of the subject.

You still had to ruin it at the end with some stuff I would consider tin foil hat borderline anti-semitic bs, but whatever I'll take small victories in cong where I can.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Religion should be setting your mind at ease, a sort of outlet that lets you look past the generally shittiness that the world enjoys hurling your way. There are those that just won't touch it, others that dabble in it on the weekend, and even daily practitioners that are really chill. But fanaticism is an entirely different beast... We're talking a serious, dangerous addiction. Think about what some addicts will do for their next fix, and then tack on the concept of eternity. It's a scary premise that's a horrifying reality.

What is even more horrifying is that the majority of these so called "terrorists" groups have been around generations. We have religions that not only excuse the act of murder but rectify it as a form of justice in the name of the lord, this is truly what horrifies me. These people do not thinks themselves murdering innocent people. In the name of religion terrorism can be viewed in a completely different light that is not oft shined on this subject, except for the usual anti-islamic drivel on major networks here in the us. This isn't about the war for those without imo, but about the war within. If you think that terrorism is not a manifestation of religious differences, cool...that is your opinion. I personally think that religion is the driving force behind many of the attacks we see in the news. On the outside it might look like there are other, more prominent catalysts; but I think at it's core it is all about "my god is right, your god is wrong, and my people will inherit this kingdom at all costs".

This might seem off topic but I think its important to identify the catalyst behind these acts of terror and it is without a doubt in my mind-religion. How do you stop a group of people from martyrdom, easy teach them that it is WRONG. Unfortunately many terrorist believe in religions where martyrdom is fine and dandy-this is our biggest problem when addressing any sort of issue about how to prevent this behavior.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
if it's anti-semitic, im just a third generation jewish person whose family just fled from nationalism the last time around. Zionism was created as a way to rid europe of jews. Mainstream Zionism is intensely anti-semitic both philosophically (denying political differences between jews in different contexts) and in practice: broadcasting a message that jews ought to leave their current nations and migrate to Israel. Clearly, this serves any impulses of those states to rid themselves of minorities. Have you ever heard of nuclear weapons? does it seem smart to all gather up in the same place? What about the diasporic destiny of the jewish people? Regardless of destiny, Nationalism and contemporary zionism are clearly forbidden in an honest interpretation of jewish religious texts. http://jfjfp.com/?page_id=335

Zion, in the Bible, refers to Jerusalem. But it is not a city merely. In the biblical and religious context, Zion is the place of which Isaiah (2:2-3) speaks when he proclaims his vision of ‘the last days’, saying, ‘out of Zion shall go forth the Torah, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem’. Isaiah speaks as a prophet and ‘Zion’ is a term of his art. Now, if this is the Zion in whose name I am being asked to show solidarity with Israel, then it is appropriate to respond in kind — by invoking the religious ethic to which this idea of Zion belongs and judging Israel’s actions by that standard; for that is the standard I am being asked to affirm. It is the standard I do affirm if I am in shul on shabbat for the opening of the Ark at the beginning of Kriat Hatorah (the Reading of the Torah) and join the congregation in the singing of the very verse from Isaiah that I have just quoted. To appeal to my Jewish identity, and at the same time tell me not to apply to Israel those standards of truth and justice which, along with peace, Judaism itself insists upon as fundamental:[iii] this strikes me as inconsistent. It is certainly incongruous when, week in week out, in the Torah readings that are the focus of the shabbat service, the children or people of Israel are constantly being chastised and criticized for their failings. To take self-criticism out of Judaism would be like taking the light out of a candle or the heat out of a flame: it would mean taking the ‘Jewish’ out of the Jewish people. The whole point of this people, in the context of the Torah, is that they are constituted by commitment to an ethic — the covenant they accept at Sinai — in order to be (in the words of Isaiah 49:6) ‘a light to the nations’. It is precisely this commitment that makes them, as it were, a people apart, ‘a kingdom of priests and a holy nation’ (Exodus 19:6), rather than an ethnic group as such. This is the concept ofAm Yisrael, the people of Israel, the Jewish people, in the Torah: a people constituted by their commitment to the book or word of God. This commitment constitutes a way of life, not a modern political state. It cannot be the basis for unconditional solidarity with a country — any country, especially one called Israel.

Some readers who have got this far will, I expect, be itching to tell me that I have completely missed the point about solidarity with Israel. In particular, they will want to put me right about the Trafalgar Square rally, to which I now turn. I imagine them giving me a little lecture, speaking, as it were, on behalf of the Jewish community. To draw on published sources, I would hear something like this: ‘Of course there are diametrically opposed camps in Israel. What do you expect: it’s a Jewish state. But there is something that transcends party politics: survival and the right to live in peace and security. This is why Jews were urged to attend the Israel Solidarity Rally: to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the people of Israel and to say in one clear voice. ‘We are with you. Yes to peace. No to terror.’ Is this so wrong?’

Yes. Given the spin being put on it, it is so wrong that it is hard to know where to start. The lecture makes the claim that the Israel Solidarity Rally transcended party politics. I take it that this claim refers to domestic politics in Israel, and I assume for the sake of argument that the rally was genuinely intended to be non-partisan. No doubt, many people who took part saw it that way. The fact that there was some diversity of view on the speakers’ platform might have seemed to give substance to that perception. However, what the onlooker saw was something else: a high profile public statement of support by British Jewry for the policies of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. Consider the message proclaimed by the main official banner (and cited in the lecture): ‘Yes to peace. No to terror.’ What does this really mean? Saying ‘yes to peace’, in itself, means nothing. Who says no to peace? Everyone, unless they are insane, ultimately wants peace. The real issue is not peace per se but peace on whose terms and peace by what means. Here, for example, is Sharon on the subject of Israel’s intentions: ‘Israel will act, and with might. Israel will fight anyone who tries to wage fear [sic] through suicide terrorism. Israel will fight. Israel will triumph. And when victory comes, Israel will make peace’ (Ha’aretz, 8 May 2002). So, if peace means triumph, Sharon is‘a man of peace’, to use President Bush’s sobriquet. But who isn’t? ‘Yes to peace’ is an empty platitude, a well-meaning but meaningless gesture. ‘No to terror’, on the other hand, is telling. It determines the political sense of the rally — because of what it doesn’t say. It doesn’t say ‘No to settlements’. Nor does it say no to curfews, closures, collective punishment, deportations, demolition of homes, destruction of vineyards, uprooting of olive groves, and all the other apparatus of Israel’s occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Thus, far from being apolitical, the rally could hardly have been more partisan. Within the Israeli political spectrum it came down, broadly speaking, on one side (say, Likud) over another (say, Meretz). This was compounded by the way the limelight fell on Binyamin Netanyahu, the former Prime Minister, whose hardline hawkish views are similar to Sharon’s. When I told an Israeli friend that Netanyahu was going to be one of the main speakers, she e-mailed me emphatically, ‘I’d agree that it would be far more supportive to stay away from such a rally!’ So when the demonstrators waved their banners saying ‘Israel, we’re with you’, who were they with exactly? Not with my friend, and not with those Israelis who feel as she does: who oppose the appropriation of Palestinian land and the spread of Jewish settlements in the Occupied Territories; who stand up against their own government’s repeated violations of the international human rights conventions to which Israel is a signatory; who promote Jewish-Palestinian cooperation; and who seek a resolution of the conflict that will enable two long-suffering populations to have a future side by side; all of which happens to be in Israel’s interest. These far-seeing Israelis want and need solidarity. They and their cause — which includes the peace and security of Israel — were betrayed by the Israel Solidarity Rally on 6 May.

tehy

Banned deucer.
'Everyone, unless they are insane, ultimately wants peace.'

what a startling presupposition

there have been many states throughout history which would engage in small-scale wars almost continually, I'm thinking personally in South America. Partly for the reason of captives to be sacrificed, partly perhaps out of hatred for those they fought. but this misses really what's arguably most the point of war: for males to prove themselves.

think about it : in those times, how was a male to attain the respect of those around him which he desired, the love of women, the feeling of accomplishment? advancement wasn't necessarily possible in job terms, so unless he was highly skilled at certain trades, the option that remained for glory was war.

i think war for glory is something most young men in certain cultures want and even desire, and often, these are the groups that are willing to throw away peace in order to maintain for themselves the chance or the promise of glory. and if the entire society is built around these ideals, the entire society may be interested in maintaining it as well.

now transpose this to say martyrdom or religious glory and there you have it

i'm not even necessarily saying what I said is true, but this is classic eurocentric nonsense - all european societies value peace, but many societies have historically valued or even embraced some kinds of violent conflict. if you assume that every culture is like yours, how will you understand them?

If we're searching for a definition of terrorism here, I can offer one. It's by no means authoritative, but I believe it's sufficient. Simply put, terrorism is mass killing and/or destruction of property solely in order to make a political statement.

Key phrase here is "solely in order to make apolitical statement". If it doesn't send, or try to send, a loud, proud, and clear message as its single objective, then it can't be terrorism. What differentiates assassinations from regular murders also differentiates terrorism from general acts of mass violence. The key phrase makes the definition fit to things we think are terrorist attacks (9/11, Hamas firing rockets onto Israel, Unabomber), and not fit to things that, while violent, are not thought to be terrorist attacks (Columbine, most serial killers, war bombings).

This definition also serves to dispel some misconceptions about terrorism. Actions taken during wars are not necessarily terrorist attacks. If some country drops ordinance onto another in order to further war goals, then it isn't terrorism. The bombing could make a political statement, but it also served to further war goals. If the bombing had no real use militarily - that is, it was not intended to serve any purpose but make a statement - then it could be terrorism. The Allied killed a great deal of Germans during the Normandy landings. Were they terrorists? No, since the allies had other goals than simply making a political statement. If they landed on Normandy, killed a bunch of Nazis, and then just straight up left without going deeper, it could be terrorism. On the topic of WW2, the U.S. dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Were the U.S. terrorists? No, since the bombing had other goals than simply making a political statement as well (getting Japan to unconditionally surrender without having to start a land invasion of the main islands, which would have easily taken more lives than both bombings combined). The bombings sent a message to the world, but that was not their sole purpose, so it wasn't terrorism.

I should not that while about 99.9% of terrorism is awful, some terrorist attacks can be beneficial. I consider the Boston Tea Party a terrorist attack - it fits the definition - but it helped drive the American independence movement.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Myzozoa said:
decknite you also want to eradicate the non-believers (infidels) and build a theocracy so wtf are you to wag fingers at ISIS anyway?
Nice ad-hominem. You always start off arguments this committed to fallacy or have you forgotten I have no tolerance for nonsense? Kindly cut it out.

I would tell everyone to just trust me on this analysis of terrorism that im giving, as i actually know 'terrorists' with real files with the fbi and errything, but it's really decknite who seems to be best displaying the terrorist mentality itt so maybe you should take him at his word and strap up. You're always free to take back your misery.

The people who plan these wars and design the political objectives particular to each of the wars are not thinking about promoting moderate clerics, they're worried about what infrastructure and systems are already in place and whether they'll be able to stay long enough to entice communities to realize an externally-backed political/economic transition. Oh it's hella fucked up: the war is fucked up enough to get sickos like decknite off, and thats just a component of the politics of war that we sign up for each time we resort to violence to solve structural problems: terrorists are made of the winners and the losers. But the militaries, or at least some components of the militaries, know the actual business, at least in theory, of intervening on terrorist spawning environments and it has nothing to do with ideologies and moderate clerics.
On what basis do I "display the terrorist mentality." What do you mean by that?

Today is Marathon Monday in Boston. A little over three years ago Islamic terrorists decided to bomb the Boston Marathon. They found safe refuge for their ideology in a Cambridge mosque (anti-American rhetoric permeating Cambridge? Unimaginable). To this day people still occasionally drop #BostonStrong as if we've been even remotely proactive as a nation in addressing this threat. Since I didn't make it clear, when I say "remove radical clerics" I mean "within the constraints of Western Law." The broad strategy should be heavy involvement of the community with local policing and then escalating to investigations if there is probable cause that violence is being promoted under the guise of religious devotion, or a mosque is being used as a sanctuary for other illegal terrorism-related activities - all scenarios that have happened in the past. If the Imam is preaching that broad swaths of Western policy are immoral and unjust and it is a religious Islamic duty to resist them, that's not what I'm talking about. I'd be singing Amens to that. If he's saying to "take up arms against the infidel" and he's found to be connected to a terror cell trafficking weapons or funding Hamas and Hezbollah, then yeah, you have probable cause to detain him and to monitor the mosque for the foreseeable future.

You destroy Radical Islamism the way you destroy any ideology, which is ideally converting but often, unfortunately, eliminating its practitioners until that strain is an insignificant minority. My suggestion for addressing it by amputating its propaganda arm is actually a MORE peaceful than a sole military option. The problem with this particular ideology is that it has hijacked a fairly militaristic religion, historically speaking. Islam has always been a conquest religion, and the only notable force that even somewhat humbled them is the Mongols. The Crusades were a late-entry defensive war and a push-back by the conquered.

Speaking of wars, who are "The people who plan these wars" - are you talking about the CIA and the DOD? Those agencies do what POTUS directs, so a president more focused on opposing the ideology than enabling it would allow for better planning. Islam doesn't have a Pope figure, so it's susceptible to a counter-propaganda campaign. Most importantly the most severe changes in Islam are relatively recent. Many of the countries I've mentioned were a lot more tolerant and pro-Western 50 years ago than they are now, and I don't see why they can't be pushed in that direction with a proper intelligence strategy. The best way to defeat an enemy is by making them a friend.

I'll respond to the rest of subjects brought up with Bullet Point level analysis:
Moral Objectivity in Societies: I assert Western Societies are objectively better than other societies. As a guide I pose two questions:
1. Which aspect of Islamic culture as popularly practiced in majority Muslim nations should the West import?
2. Does the above question ever get openly asked in reverse by the common person in those nations?

Western nations broadly value free speech, religious tolerance, and the open exchange of ideas. Criticism of government and religious figures is not only legal, it is protected. Therefore if Western culture is not to your liking, you are offered more opportunities to change it.

In a sense that is also a weakness because other cultures utilize that opportunity - along with promoting cultural relativism - to change the foundational openness of the civilization. Western Culture is still a specific defined thing and by removing those underpinning values you don't change it, you eradicate it.

Demographic Outbreeding: This is just a fact.
Perhaps the argument is that the scale is not sufficient so it isn't as big a deal as I make it out to be. The issue is whether this trend will represent a critical mass that can provide harbor to these negative influences. I believe it does, as evidenced by the Paris shooting mastermind Salah Abdeslam's ability to plot attacks from and seek refuge in Molenbeek.

It's also why I think the proper approach is both ideological and military. It doesn't matter if the UK is Islamic in 2050 if there's no violence differential between British Muslims, British Catholics, and Bristish Anglicans. The ideological solution eliminates the military problem - bloodlessly. Which is what I prefer, but someone has to make the ideological argument that the Western idea of religious pluralism is superior and that superiority will be enforced under Western laws. You may worship as you please until that results in violence against others. Or as General Napier put it to Colonized India:
General Sir Charles James Napier said:
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

There are so many factors towards terrorism, and I don't even know if all of them is true, or just corporate media misinformation. I think the main story that has been spread is a combination of religious overzealousness and being raised to hate Americans, or democracy for that matter. If so, the obvious solution is to attack that, and try to break down restrictive societies where they exist. Poverty and the feelings of hatred and wanting to do something can cause the very human tendency to lash out. I feel that most terrorist leaders use these passions to recruit outraged followers, who are even willing to sacrifice their lives to create what they see as a better world for their kind. For other terrorist leaders who really believe their cause, from their point of view, the ends just justify the means, and if innocent people get hurt or killed, well, we live in a crapsack world, and therefore so be it.

While I believe that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq (we were all fed false information), I think we should have gone into Syria instead, and helped the activists and rebels oust Assad. If we actually had American troops or advisors there, maybe they could have told them how great our system and country is, but more importantly our ideals. Maybe we could have influenced them. They already seemed to have a sense of justice and injustice, considering they revolted against Assad. But no, we instead let the Russians beat them into the dirt, and now there are no moderate groups left. Now the survivors probably just see the world as an unjust crapsack, and will base their actions accordingly. By not acting, I don't have my hopes up that if Assad is forced out of power, that his replacements will be any more civilized. If I were him, I'd not let himself get captured by any rebels, otherwise, his end will end up on a spit.

Drone strikes that kill civilians are probably one of the most counterproductive things we could be doing. It is only inflaming the area. It teaches the survivors of these drone strikes and family members of the victims that we Americans are evil and don't give a shit about their puny, insignificant lives, in their views, and I'd bet you my Shiny Magikarp that ISIS recruiters are more than happy to run with this, painting us all as evil, fat pigs. All it takes is a guy, who's baby sister was killed in a drone strike while she was at a market, and ISIS recruiters telling him all the things he needs to hear, and for them to get their hands on an old soviet bioweapon or some old radioactive material, or even someone smart or lucky enough to make a nuclear bomb, and you have a disaster of epic proportions. Just need someone angry enough with nothing to lose and is willing to end his life to deliver said weapon to wherever ISIS wants. And whether you believe that the attack was a false flag attack, like many insist 9/11 was, or actually caused by ISIS, the blame still falls on the those responsible for the deaths of innocent people killed in airstrikes.

And the U.S. Military's choices in choosing to prop up quite frankly, tyrannical oppressive regimes, or topple another regime, causing instability in the region. The U.S. Military and CIA has at times made judgements that, quite frankly, were morally wrong, were for the wrong reasons, and not what I feel this country stands for, and has had disastrous consequences. At times, it just seems like they do whatever they want, or whatever benefits the military industrial complex, or any corporations they may have connections with, which is not who they or we are supposed to be about.

The more that we can show people that there is a better way, the less people there will be flocking to terrorist groups like ISIS. We need to always hold the moral high ground. Unfortunately, I fear it might not only be too late, but our allies or even our own top brass in the military has no interest in doing so, and I fear for our safety, or the measures that will be taken in the name of national security, which could result in our rights not being safe from our own government. No matter how you look at it, our military is what stirred up the real trouble regarding, and I fear that one way or another, people in the States or allied countries will be the ones to pay the price.

Another alarming recurring theme in these posts is 'America and its allies need access to oil' just handwaved as a justification for imperialism. Nah actually America has a disproportionate control on the world's resources and the shit people will do for oil and other natural resources are war crimes, sorry.
Thank you! Yes, this is just another reason that we need to wean ourselves off of that damned black stuff! Some of the stuff that humans have done to get their hands on the stuff is, quite frankly, evil! We need to refine electric battery and hydrogen fuel cell technology (the first two hydrogen automobiles are going on sale later this year). And we still have solar, wind, and nuclear fission, and I've heard that nuclear fusion is close to being commercially viable, and just needs the right funding. The sooner we stop using fossil fuels, the better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)